Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Big Picture Thread

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2024, 11:52 AM by JagFan81. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-13-2024, 11:05 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-13-2024, 10:54 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: Exactly right. 31 teams end the season with things they need to address and improve in the offseason. That can be huge changes or fine tuning certain things. People are acting like the way the season ended we need huge changes and we really don't. We need to address the personnel issues, add some talent and depth, get more out of our better players and so many things will start clicking. We were 8-3, and beating some good teams and being unbeaten on the road was some kind of fluke.

Baalkes got a big summer ahead to address the issues and we hope he gets the decisions right. 

One thing I find interesting every offseason is where fans draw the line on responsibility. The GM signs the player, the HC plays him in a position, the co-ordinator calls the plays, the player executes the plays, the position coach coaches them to execute the plays.

Everyone has their own opinion of where responsibility lies if a player doesn't have a good season or a part of the O or D doesn't perform as expected.
But we do need huge changes.  We need personnel changes on offense and defense.  Also coaching and GM issues, already without a DC right now.  I'd call that huge changes lol.

(01-13-2024, 10:54 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: Exactly right. 31 teams end the season with things they need to address and improve in the offseason. That can be huge changes or fine tuning certain things. People are acting like the way the season ended we need huge changes and we really don't. We need to address the personnel issues, add some talent and depth, get more out of our better players and so many things will start clicking. We were 8-3, and beating some good teams and being unbeaten on the road was some kind of fluke.

Baalkes got a big summer ahead to address the issues and we hope he gets the decisions right. 

One thing I find interesting every offseason is where fans draw the line on responsibility. The GM signs the player, the HC plays him in a position, the co-ordinator calls the plays, the player executes the plays, the position coach coaches them to execute the plays.

Everyone has their own opinion of where responsibility lies if a player doesn't have a good season or a part of the O or D doesn't perform as expected.
You think we have the right GM in the office?  He's gonna get us the right guys to win a SB?

When I say huge changes I mean changing GM and HC or multiple co-ordinatiors and having to overhaul a number of whole position groups in an offseason. No I don't think we are in need of that kind of overhaul. We need to add to Oline and Dline and positions like CB, LB, RB could have depth added but I don't see us as a franchise heading in the wrong direction and needs major changes.

Lol, Baalkes not got us to a SB in 2 years so get rid of him? To be fair to Baalke, he's got some decisions right and he's got some wrong. No GM hits on every decision. I don't think Baalke is the best GM out there but, the same way as Press, he's an easy target to blame for all the teams ills. He's got a huge offseason ahead of him and he's got to get a lot of decisions right. If we miss playoffs next year then his job is in big trouble.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-13-2024, 11:51 AM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(01-13-2024, 11:05 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: But we do need huge changes.  We need personnel changes on offense and defense.  Also coaching and GM issues, already without a DC right now.  I'd call that huge changes lol.

You think we have the right GM in the office?  He's gonna get us the right guys to win a SB?

When I say huge changes I mean changing GM and HC or multiple co-ordinatiors and having to overhaul a number of whole position groups in an offseason. No I don't think we are in need of that kind of overhaul. We need to add to Oline and Dline and positions like CB, LB, RB could have depth added but I don't see us as a franchise heading in the wrong direction and needs major changes.

Lol, Baalkes not got us to a SB in 2 years so get rid of him? To be fair to Baalke, he's got some decisions right and he's got some wrong. No GM hits on every decision. I don't think Baalke is the best GM out there but, the same way as Press, he's an easy target to blame for all the teams ills. He's got a huge offseason ahead of him and he's got to get a lot of decisions right. If we miss playoffs next year then his job is in big trouble.

It’s Salem, Mass circa 1692 around here, lol.

(01-13-2024, 11:59 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-13-2024, 11:51 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: When I say huge changes I mean changing GM and HC or multiple co-ordinatiors and having to overhaul a number of whole position groups in an offseason. No I don't think we are in need of that kind of overhaul. We need to add to Oline and Dline and positions like CB, LB, RB could have depth added but I don't see us as a franchise heading in the wrong direction and needs major changes.

Yep. Grab your pitchforks and burn 'em all!

(01-13-2024, 11:59 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-13-2024, 11:51 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: When I say huge changes I mean changing GM and HC or multiple co-ordinatiors and having to overhaul a number of whole position groups in an offseason. No I don't think we are in need of that kind of overhaul. We need to add to Oline and Dline and positions like CB, LB, RB could have depth added but I don't see us as a franchise heading in the wrong direction and needs major changes.

...after two winning seasons for the first time in nineteen years. 

Laughing

Fans, man. They want everyone crucified after 5 losses regardless of who was actually at fault.

(01-13-2024, 12:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-13-2024, 11:59 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: It’s Salem, Mass circa 1692 around here, lol.

Laughing

Fans, man. They want everyone crucified after 5 losses regardless of who was actually at fault.

A game of inches, both literal and otherwise.  1 play changes across 6 of our games and 7 of the tinhorns (7 wins by 1 TD or less) and we’re the AFCS Champions getting ready to play Cleveland here in a half hour.  Their last second win against Tampa comes to mind.  Tampa scores late to take the lead with 46 seconds left.  A FG for the tinhorns does nothing.  Tampa goes prevent and does a terrible job at it and the tinhorns get the TD and the win.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2024, 08:51 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-13-2024, 11:59 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: It’s Salem, Mass circa 1692 around here, lol.

Laughing

We have 8 losses again and regressed.  If it was 5 losses we would of won the division.  We lost the division to a rookie QB and rookie HC to a team that picked 2nd overall last year. 

If we go 9-8 next year and miss the playoffs you gonna keep this same energy?  How many years do you give them?  3? 4?

(01-13-2024, 04:29 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-13-2024, 12:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: ...after two winning seasons for the first time in nineteen years. 

Laughing

A game of inches, both literal and otherwise.  1 play changes across 6 of our games and 7 of the tinhorns (7 wins by 1 TD or less) and we’re the AFCS Champions getting ready to play Cleveland here in a half hour.  Their last second win against Tampa comes to mind.  Tampa scores late to take the lead with 46 seconds left.  A FG for the tinhorns does nothing.  Tampa goes prevent and does a terrible job at it and the tinhorns get the TD and the win.
That's why you don't reley on other teams to get in. You handle your own business.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2024, 08:57 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

Laughing

It's a lot more fun arguing after a 9-8 season than it is after a 3-14 season.

(01-14-2024, 08:49 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-13-2024, 12:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: ...after two winning seasons for the first time in nineteen years. 

Laughing

We have 8 losses again and regressed.  If it was 5 losses we would of won the division.  We lost the division to a rookie QB and rookie HC to a team that picked 2nd overall last year. 

1. We did not get the lucky plays that gave us 3 extra wins like last year.  Last year we were a 6 win team.  Really, How often does a pass bounce off a helmet falling into your guys hands creating a pick 6?

2. We played a 1st place schedule this year before the team and personnel were ready for it. (We played the Bills, 49ers and KC no one else in the division did)

3. Injuries to O-linemen normally do not heal up DURING the season, they linger till the offseason and compound. We began the year with a banged up O-Line and participation issues. (Cam/Devon)

Still won 9 games.

A new broom always sweeps clean.

(01-14-2024, 08:52 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Laughing

It's a lot more fun arguing after a 9-8 season than it is after a 3-14 season.

It's weird how they're so anxious to go back to 3 wins.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-14-2024, 09:22 AM)Jag149 Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 08:49 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We have 8 losses again and regressed.  If it was 5 losses we would of won the division.  We lost the division to a rookie QB and rookie HC to a team that picked 2nd overall last year. 

1. We did not get the lucky plays that gave us 3 extra wins like last year.  Last year we were a 6 win team.  Really, How often does a pass bounce off a helmet falling into your guys hands creating a pick 6?

2. We played a 1st place schedule this year before the team and personnel were ready for it. (We played the Bills, 49ers and KC no one else in the division did)

3. Injuries to O-linemen normally do not heal up DURING the season, they linger till the offseason and compound. We began the year with a banged up O-Line and participation issues. (Cam/Devon)

Still won 9 games.
1. We should of won 11 games last year.  Should of won the Giants game and should of won the Texans game.  We had some plays go our way and we had some that didn't, that's football.  We were much better than a 6 win team last year.  We also should of beat KC in the playoffs but Mahomes got hurt and Chad Henne happened and a 90+ yard drive, had them against the ropes.

2.  We beat the Bills, we lost to teams with worst records than ours to close the season, teams we should have beat, that's why we missed the playoffs.  Your excuses suck lol, all we had to do was beat the Titans the last game of the season and we were in, we were outmatched.   Last year we had just as tough a schedule, Philly, KC ,Bal, Dal etc. We just did nothing last offseason, had a horrible draft, and lost our SB winning HC as a playcaller.  Multiple reasons we sucked to close the season.

3.  Well you should have drafted some olineman, almost every pick in last year's draft you could make a argument  that a olineman was BPA and they reached hard for other players that did nothing.  Look around the league the olineman they passed on are starting on other teams.  The injuries hurt bad but every team deals with injuries and they could of done things in FA and the draft to help.

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses

(01-14-2024, 09:41 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: 1. We should of won 11 games last year.  Should of won the Giants game and should of won the Texans game.  We had some plays go our way and we had some that didn't, that's football.  We were much better than a 6 win team last year.  We also should of beat KC in the playoffs but Mahomes got hurt and Chad Henne happened and a 90+ yard drive, had them against the ropes.

2.  We beat the Bills, we lost to teams with worst records than ours to close the season, teams we should have beat, that's why we missed the playoffs.  Your excuses suck lol, all we had to do was beat the Titans the last game of the season and we were in, we were outmatched.   Last year we had just as tough a schedule, Philly, KC ,Bal, Dal etc. We just did nothing last offseason, had a horrible draft, and lost our SB winning HC as a playcaller.  Multiple reasons we sucked to close the season.

3.  Well you should have drafted some olineman, almost every pick in last year's draft you could make a argument  that a olineman was BPA and they reached hard for other players that did nothing.  Look around the league the olineman they passed on are starting on other teams.  The injuries hurt bad but every team deals with injuries and they could of done things in FA and the draft to help.

How come point three wasn’t ‘should of’?  Just curious.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-14-2024, 09:41 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: 1. We should of won 11 games last year.  Should of won the Giants game and should of won the Texans game.  We had some plays go our way and we had some that didn't, that's football.  We were much better than a 6 win team last year.  We also should of beat KC in the playoffs but Mahomes got hurt and Chad Henne happened and a 90+ yard drive, had them against the ropes.

One man's reasons are another's excuses depends which side of the table you are on.

Yea, I wanted to draft a couple more big guys. (round 3 and whatever round we took that IR LB) 

The Titans had us beat the year before and a freak play gave us the game. Didn't happen this year. Luck is not a plan.

I posted how concerned I was about the O-line all last year before the season. Problem was we BEGAN the season beat up in an area we had less than zero slack.

That's football like you said.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(01-14-2024, 09:44 AM)RicoTx Wrote:

How ever you want to put it.  Point remains the same

(01-14-2024, 09:59 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 09:44 AM)RicoTx Wrote: How come point three wasn’t ‘should of’?  Just curious.

How ever you want to put it.  Point remains the same

I usually prefer putting it correctly…

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2024, 10:09 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-14-2024, 09:57 AM)Jag149 Wrote:

One man's reasons are another's excuses depends which side of the table you are on.

Yea, I wanted to draft a couple more big guys. (round 3 and whatever round we took that IR LB) 

The Titans had us beat the year before and a freak play gave us the game. Didn't happen this year. Luck is not a plan.

I posted how concerned I was about the O-line all last year before the season. Problem was we BEGAN the season beat up in an area we had less than zero slack.

That's football like you said.

Titans didnt have us beat last year.  If our team isnt good enough to beat the Titans after all the high draft picks and record breaking money we have spent in FA its time for a change.  It's not that I wanted them to take olineman, It's just certain olineman that was sitting there.  I don't have a problem with the positions they took It's the players.  If we got LaPorta instead of Strange it would of been a great pick.  Their bigboad sucks, souting/ bigboard/ eye of talent is the biggest problem for this team right now imo

(01-14-2024, 10:04 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 09:59 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: How ever you want to put it.  Point remains the same

I usually prefer putting it correctly…

You should of put it correctly the first time.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2024, 11:40 AM by Jaguarmeister.)

(01-14-2024, 09:44 AM)RicoTx Wrote:

His “should of” machine gun must’ve ran out of ammo.

https://giphy.com/gifs/rambo-TBOvwBGkQShnq

Actually, please tell me his auto correct actually fixes it but he goes back and changes it and just missed doing so on that last one.

I haven’t read through this whole thread, but any bright side take for me went out the window after yesterday.

The Texans are playing chess and we are playing checkers. I have no faith that Baalke can draft a team well enough to 1. Help Trevor and 2. Compete for and win the division, let alone a WC spot.

We are cursed man. Marino curse, Oehser curse, label it whatever you want

One thing I would like to point out Big Picture wise, is the overvaluing of draft picks for the current season. The Jaguars picked a OLmen with their first round pick, relying on picks in the 2nd round and on to plug holes in the OL rarely works out (maybe a C in the second round?) The classic platitude is that you plug holes with FA, and draft future talent with the draft.

So I would blame the 2023 OL issue on the 2021 and 2022 draft, and the lack of success in the 2023 Free Agency.

(01-14-2024, 12:06 PM)cland Wrote: One thing I would like to point out Big Picture wise, is the overvaluing of draft picks for the current season.  The Jaguars picked a OLmen with their first round pick, relying on picks in the 2nd round and on to plug holes in the OL rarely works out (maybe a C in the second round?) The classic platitude is that you plug holes with FA, and draft future talent with the draft.

So I would blame the 2023 OL issue on the 2021 and 2022 draft, and the lack of success in the 2023 Free Agency.

The irony is our 1st round pick was probably our best lineman or close to it. At least we’re set a RT. But yes, get the big guys early 

Congrats on your win yesterday

(01-14-2024, 11:39 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 09:44 AM)RicoTx Wrote: How come point three wasn’t ‘should of’?  Just curious.

His “should of” machine gun must’ve ran out of ammo.

https://giphy.com/gifs/rambo-TBOvwBGkQShnq

Actually, please tell me his auto correct actually fixes it but he goes back and changes it and just missed doing so on that last one.

Actually what is funny is that my autocorrect didn’t want me to type should of…