Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Big Picture Thread

(01-14-2024, 12:20 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 11:39 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: His “should of” machine gun must’ve ran out of ammo.

https://giphy.com/gifs/rambo-TBOvwBGkQShnq

Actually, please tell me his auto correct actually fixes it but he goes back and changes it and just missed doing so on that last one.

Actually what is funny is that my autocorrect didn’t want me to type should of…

Can't you tell your autocorrect to permanently ignore something?  He might of done that.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-14-2024, 12:06 PM)cland Wrote: One thing I would like to point out Big Picture wise, is the overvaluing of draft picks for the current season.  The Jaguars picked a OLmen with their first round pick, relying on picks in the 2nd round and on to plug holes in the OL rarely works out (maybe a C in the second round?) The classic platitude is that you plug holes with FA, and draft future talent with the draft.

So I would blame the 2023 OL issue on the 2021 and 2022 draft, and the lack of success in the 2023 Free Agency.

They went so big in 2022 free agency - they really couldn't do much there in 2023 with Josh Allen and Trevor Lawrence contract extensions looming on the horizon. 

Regarding OL acquisitions in 21/22 - yes they failed there - but there were enough red flags in 2022 they should have sought better competition/contingency/depth coming into the 2023 season. 

Believing they could trust Fortner to improve in year 2 at center with zero backup plan (except a G/C in Shatley that also was straight garbage in 2022) was a major error IMO. 

Believing they could trust a former GM's mid round LG pick to come back from injury and eat enough lunch-meat smoothies to get up to playing weight was also a major blunder that bit them squarely in the backside. 

At least they had contingency at LT even though both players underperformed in a carousel of injury and suspension rotation. 

They got a "good for a rookie" year out of their RT and a "passable with ugly moments" performance out of a woefully overpaid RG. Those two were the "highlights" of an overall inept 2023 OL. 

Picking up a LG during reg. season barely helped as he was coming in hurt and just re-aggravated the injury - and now if they deem him worthy they have to pay him market value to stay.

Biggest issue is going to be creating cap space.  

Easy cuts: 

Brandon Scherff 
Cam Robinson 
Folorunsu Fatukasi 
Zay Jones

These cuts allow you to re-sign Josh Allen and place the franchise tag on Calvin Ridley, which then allows the Jags to keep their 2nd round pick in the draft.  

O-line is the biggest issue by far and at least 2 of the top 3 picks need to be devoted to shoring up the protection for Trevor.

(01-14-2024, 03:28 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: Biggest issue is going to be creating cap space.  

Easy cuts: 

Brandon Scherff 
Cam Robinson 
Folorunsu Fatukasi 
Zay Jones

These cuts allow you to re-sign Josh Allen and place the franchise tag on Calvin Ridley, which then allows the Jags to keep their 2nd round pick in the draft.  

O-line is the biggest issue by far and at least 2 of the top 3 picks need to be devoted to shoring up the protection for Trevor.

At this point, I think you have to keep Cam Robinson. Are you gonna have to renegotiate his contract to make it fit in the salary cap. But I don’t see how you get rid of him. He’s the most viable lineman we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(01-14-2024, 05:45 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 03:28 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: Biggest issue is going to be creating cap space.  

Easy cuts: 

Brandon Scherff 
Cam Robinson 
Folorunsu Fatukasi 
Zay Jones

At this point, I think you have to keep Cam Robinson. Are you gonna have to renegotiate his contract to make it fit in the salary cap. But I don’t see how you get rid of him. He’s the most viable lineman we have.

I don't see how you keep Cam Robinson and his bloated salary.  You have Walker Little on his rookie contract and you NEED the cap savings by cutting Robinson to retain Josh Allen.  Cam Robinson is just hurt too often and the difference in play between him and Walker Little is negligible.

Easy cuts: 

Brandon Scherff 
Cam Robinson 
Folorunsu Fatukasi 
Zay Jones

erm I don't think so
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2024, 06:44 PM by ChrisJagBoy. Edited 1 time in total.)

Easy cuts: 

Brandon Scherff 
Cam Robinson 
Folorunsu Fatukasi 
Zay Jones

The sad part is, Both Scherff and Robinson need to be gone for cap reasons, but if they both leave we gonna reallly need to do some work on our OL that would only consist of Anton Harrison as a solid player at that point.

I don't know that we can afford to let Robinson or Scherff go right now, but we'll see.

It just seems insane to need to find a new starter at Tackle, LG/RG and Center in one offseason. 

And if they do release both and DON'T address all 4 spots, we're gonna be in for another bad season.

(01-14-2024, 06:01 PM)navyjagfan Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 05:45 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: At this point, I think you have to keep Cam Robinson. Are you gonna have to renegotiate his contract to make it fit in the salary cap. But I don’t see how you get rid of him. He’s the most viable lineman we have.

I don't see how you keep Cam Robinson and his bloated salary.  You have Walker Little on his rookie contract and you NEED the cap savings by cutting Robinson to retain Josh Allen.  Cam Robinson is just hurt too often and the difference in play between him and Walker Little is negligible.

They will have to renegotiate Cam to a more cap friendly contract.  But Cam is more important than Ridley.  He's not a true #1; he's a talented slot. Kirk is our Best WR.  I'd rather resign Zay and roll with our current WR corps AND use draft and FA on OL. With Cam, you have him and Harrison as starting tackles, with Little as the swing tackle.  Lord knows, we always get injuries on the OL.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(01-14-2024, 06:02 PM)Jag149 Wrote:

Easy cuts: 

Brandon Scherff 
Cam Robinson 
Folorunsu Fatukasi 
Zay Jones

erm I don't think so

No insights or opinions of your own to share?

(01-14-2024, 06:39 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:

Easy cuts: 

Brandon Scherff 
Cam Robinson 
Folorunsu Fatukasi 
Zay Jones

The sad part is, Both Scherff and Robinson need to be gone for cap reasons, but if they both leave we gonna reallly need to do some work on our OL that would only consist of Anton Harrison as a solid player at that point.

I don't know that we can afford to let Robinson or Scherff go right now, but we'll see.

It just seems insane to need to find a new starter at Tackle, LG/RG and Center in one offseason. 

And if they do release both and DON'T address all 4 spots, we're gonna be in for another bad season.

Fair assessment, but you do have Walker Little who is probably at least equal to Cam at LT.  I don't think you can afford to let Josh Allen go in free agency, so you have no choice but to create some cap space, especially when you have to be prepared to fork out a small fortune if Lawrence rebounds and has a good season next year.  

Scherff has just gotten old and he's no longer the pro-bowl level player that he was a few years ago.  Ezra Cleveland seemed to be adequate at LG. PFF projects a contract worth about $9M a year which the Jags can afford by cutting Scherff.    Forter has to be replaced and Shatley should be too, but I think you can replace them with cheaper free agents and some draft picks.

Easy cuts: 

Brandon Scherff 
Cam Robinson 
Folorunsu Fatukasi 
Zay Jones

Just looking at overthecap. So we have $12.9m cap to spend but that counts Josh Allen as not on the roster so that money and more is already gone for him.

Looking at cap savings

Scherff as a pre June1st cut is $14.8m in dead money and a cap saving of $9m. Post 1st June is $7.4m dead money and $16.5m cap savings.

Robinson is $3.8m dead money and $17.5m cap savings. There's no difference pre or post 1st June.

Foley as a pre June 1st cut is $9.2m in dead money and $3.5m cap savings. Post 1st June is $4.8m dead money and $8m cap savings.

Zay as a pre June 1st cut is $6.5m dead money and $4.4m cap savings. Post 1st June is $3m dead money and $8m cap savings.

Just looking at other players that offer cap savings.

Darious Williams is a $500k dead money and $10m cap savings

Rayshawn after June 1st is $3.2m dead money and $9m cap savings.

Yes we have plenty of options to save cap, the only worry is all of those players are starters and losing Scherff and Cam means you need to replace them aswell as improving the Oline. Can you find better players in FA and will you end up paying similar amounts in the FA Oline market?

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2024, 09:33 PM by Jag149. Edited 2 times in total.)

(01-14-2024, 07:36 PM)navyjagfan Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 06:02 PM)Jag149 Wrote: erm I don't think so

No insights or opinions of your own to share?

I see your point as the cuts you propose if made after June1 would save about 50 million in cap space giving us 79. It is an easy way.

A little early for me to have a strong opinion, but I'll comment of the cuts you suggested.

Brandon Scherff - At this point in his career he may not ever have 17 games in him.  Possible to restructure for a lot less money. However, big experienced O=linemen are scarce.

Cam Robinson - Our best lineman the last 2 years and the only one with a degree of aggressiveness. We already going to need to swap out most of the interior. Doing this is a real stretch this year.

Folorunsu Fatukasi - This comes down to can we replace this 28 year old 318 lb DL for less than the 8 million we would save. (we eat almost 5 million in dead cap) The team has already restructured his contract pushing money into 2027. I don't think they would do this unless he is part of their long term plans. Maybe..depends on the new DC perhaps.

Zay Jones - Clearly when he is healthy he is one of TL's favorite targets. He seem to be on the same page as TL.  We do save 8 million and transfer another 3 million to dead cap.  Like Fatukasi the team has already restructured his contract pushing money into 2027. I don't think they would do this unless he is part of their long term plans.

One thing I did notice about spotrac is they have included all our practice squad players at 7-900,000 each. We spent a total of about 3 million last year there. Have not figured out the impact of that...yet.

PS, I used spotrac which has a cap number next year of 250 million. The cap has not been set yet, but over the cap may be using another number.

Don't want to make everyone a post June 1st cut. Just moving the cap hit to the following year.

(01-14-2024, 09:32 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Don't want to make everyone a post June 1st cut. Just moving the cap hit to the following year.

Your exactly right but looking at the numbers, that's where you get most of your savings.

Wouldn't be my first choice path.

(01-14-2024, 09:34 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 09:32 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Don't want to make everyone a post June 1st cut. Just moving the cap hit to the following year.

Your exactly right but looking at the numbers, that's where you get most of your savings.

Wouldn't be my first choice path.

like I said it is still early to do this stuff.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2024, 10:04 PM by Jag88.)

The lions offense is looking like what the jags could be one day. They have nice weapons and spread it to them moving the ball easily down the field.

(01-14-2024, 08:51 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:

Easy cuts: 

Brandon Scherff 
Cam Robinson 
Folorunsu Fatukasi 
Zay Jones

Just looking at overthecap. So we have $12.9m cap to spend but that counts Josh Allen as not on the roster so that money and more is already gone for him.

Looking at cap savings

Scherff as a pre June1st cut is $14.8m in dead money and a cap saving of $9m. Post 1st June is $7.4m dead money and $16.5m cap savings.

Robinson is $3.8m dead money and $17.5m cap savings. There's no difference pre or post 1st June.

Foley as a pre June 1st cut is $9.2m in dead money and $3.5m cap savings. Post 1st June is $4.8m dead money and $8m cap savings.

Zay as a pre June 1st cut is $6.5m dead money and $4.4m cap savings. Post 1st June is $3m dead money and $8m cap savings.

Yes we have plenty of options to save cap, the only worry is all of those players are starters and losing Scherff and Cam means you need to replace them aswell as improving the Oline. Can you find better players in FA and will you end up paying similar amounts in the FA Oline market?

Personally, I don't focus on dead money.  Anything that would be dead money is money already spent.  It's a sunk cost.  The important thing is the savings on the cap.

I discussed this in the OL thread, but Robinson gives $17.75 in savings.  Scherff gives $9 million this year plus another $7.5 million next year.  Combined, we're paying over $34 million for 1 year of service from Robinson and Scherff who aren't that good.  I cut them.

I would take the $34 million and get the best center and two guards for the money in free agency.  I then draft a tackle in round one with Little as a plan B, but hopefully he's just our swing tackle.  Harrison obviously starts at tackle.  Fortner competes for a backup spot.  Use a day 3 pick on the interior line for depth and possible future development.

I know it is a lot of change, but I believe it will give us the best offensive line without draining a bunch of money we need to resign Allen and others.

(01-14-2024, 10:18 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 08:51 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Just looking at overthecap. So we have $12.9m cap to spend but that counts Josh Allen as not on the roster so that money and more is already gone for him.

Looking at cap savings

Personally, I don't focus on dead money.  Anything that would be dead money is money already spent.  It's a sunk cost.  The important thing is the savings on the cap.

I discussed this in the OL thread, but Robinson gives $17.75 in savings.  Scherff gives $9 million this year plus another $7.5 million next year.  Combined, we're paying over $34 million for 1 year of service from Robinson and Scherff who aren't that good.  I cut them.

I would take the $34 million and get the best center and two guards for the money in free agency.  I then draft a tackle in round one with Little as a plan B, but hopefully he's just our swing tackle.  Harrison obviously starts at tackle.  Fortner competes for a backup spot.  Use a day 3 pick on the interior line for depth and possible future development.

I know it is a lot of change, but I believe it will give us the best offensive line without draining a bunch of money we need to resign Allen and others.

The salary THIS YEAR that we save is the reason we cut Robinson and Sherff plus 3 other guys. All those dollars are there for use with Allen, Cleveland, and any free agents we want to entertain. Then we bring in big bodies in April and the work is done.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-14-2024, 10:18 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 08:51 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Just looking at overthecap. So we have $12.9m cap to spend but that counts Josh Allen as not on the roster so that money and more is already gone for him.

Looking at cap savings

This is exactly how it should be done.

If Cowboys can’t resign Biadasz (weird last name) then he’s priority #1.

(01-14-2024, 06:01 PM)navyjagfan Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 05:45 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: At this point, I think you have to keep Cam Robinson. Are you gonna have to renegotiate his contract to make it fit in the salary cap. But I don’t see how you get rid of him. He’s the most viable lineman we have.

Walker Little sucks though