Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Big Picture Thread

(01-07-2024, 06:11 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Trev ain't been the same since his injuries and concussion. That part is pretty obvious. Dude needs better protection and more time in the pocket.

My 2 cents..

I don't want to pin all the O's problems on the Oline, but that's where it started and it had a knock on effect to all the other parts. The playcalling became endless screens and short passes which made it a lot easier to stop. The pass protection was a problem all season and run O fell off a cliff.

I can't point my finger on one thing (talent, coaching, playcall, execution) but it has to be a top priority this summer. It doesn't need to be line filled with studs but a unit that works.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-07-2024, 06:27 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 06:11 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Trev ain't been the same since his injuries and concussion. That part is pretty obvious. Dude needs better protection and more time in the pocket.

My 2 cents..

I don't want to pin all the O's problems on the Oline, but that's where it started and it had a knock on effect to all the other parts. The playcalling became endless screens and short passes which made it a lot easier to stop. The pass protection was a problem all season and run O fell off a cliff.

I can't point my finger on one thing (talent, coaching, playcall, execution) but it has to be a top priority this summer. It doesn't need to be line filled with studs but a unit that works.

Domino Effect..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2024, 06:31 PM by ChrisJagBoy. Edited 1 time in total.)

My 2 cents..

he's been the same, the difference is the defense early on was shutting down teams with below average offenses... when they started to fall off, so did our record. Trevor had some OK games, and a lot of bad games. 

Is it all his fault? Nope, the O line and WRs have some blame too but he dosen't get a pass, it's year 3 and he's still putting up average numbers.

We had like 20 something takeaways when we were 8-3, and maybe 5 or 6 more since.

(01-07-2024, 06:12 PM)enigma Wrote: It's easy to say we're headed in the right direction when we were 1-15. So to answer the question, yes we are "headed in the right direction" from that point.

You and I had some good dialogue in last weeks game thread, so I won't rehash the same thing but overall I am incredibly concerned with the shambolic meltdown after going 8-3.

Losing a game or two is understandable, but losing how we did in the last stretch of games to close out the season definitely seem like a disturbing regression for many reasons that include on-field performance, injuries, inept coaching at times, etc.

So it all depends on your frame of reference. I'm not happy with us literally, and figuratively, fumbling our way out of the playoffs especially after the 8-3 start. Good teams and well coached teams do not regress like that immensely.

You make some good points and I don't disagree. It's definitely a worry and there were plenty of things you could use as a reason but good teams overcome obstacles. It felt like too many for the roster we had this year but yeah to go from such a strong position is a big disappointment.

The one thing I will say that I expected to see and was a concern that didn't really come through was I thought this team had a good resolve and ability to fight through adversity. Last season they came back from  some big holes but always seemed to have that belief and I expected to see that emerge during this bad spell but it didn't really. I expected more from some of our leaders.

(01-07-2024, 06:12 PM)enigma Wrote: It's easy to say we're headed in the right direction when we were 1-15. So to answer the question, yes we are "headed in the right direction" from that point.

You and I had some good dialogue in last weeks game thread, so I won't rehash the same thing but overall I am incredibly concerned with the shambolic meltdown after going 8-3.

Losing a game or two is understandable, but losing how we did in the last stretch of games to close out the season definitely seem like a disturbing regression for many reasons that include on-field performance, injuries, inept coaching at times, etc.

So it all depends on your frame of reference. I'm not happy with us literally, and figuratively, fumbling our way out of the playoffs especially after the 8-3 start. Good teams and well coached teams do not regress like that immensely.

The problem with a lot of fans is nobody looks at the facts. 

I'll givem to you.

Trevor did not get worse, he was about the same all season long. 

At 8-3, we had 24 [BLEEP] turnovers on defense. Our D started playing like [BLEEP] clowns and we started losing. 

If I showed you random stat lines of Trevors between the 8 wins, or the 8 losses, you wouldn't be able to figure out which was which.

STOP [BLEEP] MAKING EXCUSES FOR HIM, HE'S A GROWN MAN HE HAS TO STEP UP AND DEFEND HIS SELF.

(01-07-2024, 06:29 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 06:27 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: I don't want to pin all the O's problems on the Oline, but that's where it started and it had a knock on effect to all the other parts. The playcalling became endless screens and short passes which made it a lot easier to stop. The pass protection was a problem all season and run O fell off a cliff.

Domino Effect..

It was exactly that. Plays started getting rushed, players trying to anticipate what the other will do instead of running the play, expecting someone to anticipate instead of running the play. Just seemed to knock everything off course and could never correct it

(01-07-2024, 06:00 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: If you want to complain and say how everyone should be fired, kindly pop onto one of the other 20 threads doing that. I'd like this to be a thread where we can have a sensible debate about the good and bad of this season and the progress this team has made in the 2 years under Doug and what this team looks like going forward next season and after.

Now cast your mind back to the Urban year. Yeah sorry but remember the dysfunction, the games being over after 5 minutes, Zach Wilson breaking tackles on TD runs, Mac Jones putting 50 up on us and 2 years of back to back #1 picks. As rough as being a Jags fan has been, that was the lowest low. I remember people saying they had grown to hate football because of the Jags. 

Doug came in with a huge task to turn this team around and we saw the same mistakes and game losing plays in the first half of last season but then something clicked and we went on a magical run that ended in the Division round. A roster so bad they had 2 years of #1 picks, plus a group of 'overpaid' FA additions massively overachieved and restored some pride in the Jags name.

The offseason was a case of trying to retain the talent we had. We had to let players walk to get under the cap (Jawaan, Key), managed to resign Engram and added Ridley. It didn't look a bad job considering where we started the offseason but Ridley was up and down and the rookies drafted failed to be valuable contributors.

We had the 3rd toughest schedule this year and got to 8-3, even with the Oline problems and injuries and mistakes ruining the season. Its disappointing to miss the playoffs after such a strong start but this team has definitely showed progress in these 2 years. 

This offseason is a huge challenge for Baalke or a new GM (personally I don't see Khan making a change yet) and we need talent at Oline and Dline and better depth all over the roster. There are some big decisions with contracts and cap maneuvering that will effect the draft. I fully expect us to bounce back next year with a better roster but still not a true SB contender and ready to fight for the South and playoffs again.

I know asking after a painful loss and end to the season isn't the best time but do you feel we are a franchise moving in the right direction and think we can continue to do so?

DTWD.

Yeah, we're still moving forward.  The deficiencies with the team became apparent pretty early on in the season and coupled with all the injuries late in the year the combination proved to be insurmountable. Whether a head or two rolls this offseason as a result remains to be seen, but I have no doubt that the interior of both lines will be addressed in a significant way in free agency and/or the draft no matter who is making those decisions.  FWIW I don't think Baalke is fired, but I think his seat is boiling lava hot next year only to be potentially cooled by early season success and that the apparent holes have been sufficiently filled.

(01-07-2024, 06:15 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: The big picture is, football is basically blocking and tackling.  We need to do those two things a whole lot better.  I hope in the offseason we find some players who just want to punch someone in the mouth.

Agreed. We've become a bit obsessed with undersized guys who are athletic at both lines. Give me a big ugly mauler and fill him up with KFC before a game! Someone that wants to run people over.

(01-07-2024, 06:35 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:

The problem with a lot of fans is nobody looks at the facts. 

I'll givem to you.

At 8-3, we had 24 [BLEEP] turnovers on defense. Our D started playing like [BLEEP] clowns and we started losing. 

If I showed you random stat lines of Trevors between the 8 wins, or the 8 losses, you wouldn't be able to figure out which was which.

STOP [BLEEP] MAKING EXCUSES FOR HIM, HE'S A GROWN MAN HE HAS TO STEP UP AND DEFEND HIS SELF.

What the [BLEEP] are you talking about bud?

Perhaps take a look at all of my posts I have made. I'm not making ANY excuses for Trevor and in fact - I'm putting some much needed heat on him. And him having "stat lines" that are eerily similar from the tale of two halves of this season is an indictment on play from TLaw and this offense.

(01-07-2024, 06:39 PM)enigma Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 06:35 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: The problem with a lot of fans is nobody looks at the facts. 

I'll givem to you.

Perhaps take a look at all of my posts I have made. I'm not making ANY excuses for Trevor and in fact - I'm putting some much needed heat on him. And him having "stat lines" that are eerily similar from the tale of two halves of this season is an indictment on play from TLaw and this offense.

I'm not targetting that at you, just fans in general. Sorry if it came off that way.

(01-07-2024, 06:39 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 06:39 PM)enigma Wrote: What the [BLEEP] are you talking about bud?

I'm not targetting that at you, just fans in general. Sorry if it came off that way.

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

(01-07-2024, 06:38 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 06:00 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: If you want to complain and say how everyone should be fired, kindly pop onto one of the other 20 threads doing that. I'd like this to be a thread where we can have a sensible debate about the good and bad of this season and the progress this team has made in the 2 years under Doug and what this team looks like going forward next season and after.

Now cast your mind back to the Urban year. Yeah sorry but remember the dysfunction, the games being over after 5 minutes, Zach Wilson breaking tackles on TD runs, Mac Jones putting 50 up on us and 2 years of back to back #1 picks. As rough as being a Jags fan has been, that was the lowest low. I remember people saying they had grown to hate football because of the Jags. 

Doug came in with a huge task to turn this team around and we saw the same mistakes and game losing plays in the first half of last season but then something clicked and we went on a magical run that ended in the Division round. A roster so bad they had 2 years of #1 picks, plus a group of 'overpaid' FA additions massively overachieved and restored some pride in the Jags name.

The offseason was a case of trying to retain the talent we had. We had to let players walk to get under the cap (Jawaan, Key), managed to resign Engram and added Ridley. It didn't look a bad job considering where we started the offseason but Ridley was up and down and the rookies drafted failed to be valuable contributors.

We had the 3rd toughest schedule this year and got to 8-3, even with the Oline problems and injuries and mistakes ruining the season. Its disappointing to miss the playoffs after such a strong start but this team has definitely showed progress in these 2 years. 

This offseason is a huge challenge for Baalke or a new GM (personally I don't see Khan making a change yet) and we need talent at Oline and Dline and better depth all over the roster. There are some big decisions with contracts and cap maneuvering that will effect the draft. I fully expect us to bounce back next year with a better roster but still not a true SB contender and ready to fight for the South and playoffs again.

I know asking after a painful loss and end to the season isn't the best time but do you feel we are a franchise moving in the right direction and think we can continue to do so?

DTWD.

Yeah, we're still moving forward.  The deficiencies with the team became apparent pretty early on in the season and coupled with all the injuries late in the year the combination proved to be insurmountable. Whether a head or two rolls this offseason as a result remains to be seen, but I have no doubt that the interior of both lines will be addressed in a significant way in free agency and/or the draft no matter who is making those decisions.  FWIW I don't think Baalke is fired, but I think his seat is boiling lava hot next year only to be potentially cooled by early season success and that the apparent holes have been sufficiently filled.

Good post. You think back to the Colts week 1, first 2 drives we looked good then they just started blitzing and we couldn't deal with it. The drop off in talent depth wise really showed up at WR and CB. 

I don't think anyone would be disappointed seeing the majority of FA and high draft picks used on the lines. Everyone can see it so surely they do too. 

I agree about Baalke too. I think Khan gives him another year but he really needs to nail it this summer. All offseasons are important but this one feels especially so.

fact back to back 9-8 seasons for jags.   he also went 9-7 back to back years with eagles. after seconed 9-7  season he was fired. Facts. 

Fact injurys are excauses for loseing teams. browns 5th string qb off couch ,and still winning games.  teaxns have injurys still winning games,even ravans rbs are hurt,and they got the #1 seed.

Injurys is  just an excause by loseing teams.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(01-07-2024, 06:50 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: fact back to back 9-8 seasons for jags.   he also went 9-7 back to back years with eagles. after seconed 9-7  season he was fired. Facts. 

Fact injurys are excauses for loseing teams. browns 5th string qb off couch ,and still winning games.  teaxns have injurys still winning games,even ravans rbs are hurt,and they got the #1 seed.

Joe Flacco has like 6 less TDs than Lawrence and played like 5 games.

If that dosen't ring a bell in your head that somethings wrong with the QB/Offense you need a reality check.

(01-07-2024, 07:00 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 06:50 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: fact back to back 9-8 seasons for jags.   he also went 9-7 back to back years with eagles. after seconed 9-7  season he was fired. Facts. 

Joe Flacco has like 6 less TDs than Lawrence and played like 5 games.

If that dosen't ring a bell in your head that somethings wrong with the QB/Offense you need a reality check.

8 but your point stands.  That is crazy

DTWD.
Your question about the direction this franchise is moving is very tough to answer following the greatest 2nd half collapse in team history. I'll still give you my current thoughts on the current state of this team and which way it is heading.

1. Overall, I am still positive because I believe Trevor Lawrence is the quarterback this team needs to reach the Super Bowl. He would be the first to admit he had a very disappointing season full of unnecessary turnovers. None of us know the extent of his injuries and how much it effected his performance. Having a terrible offensive line and losing his favorite receiver were things he could not overcome- especially after his injuries. I'd still take Lawrence in the top 5 or 6 players if I were to start a franchise today.

2. Shad Khan has been extremely hesitant to fire top staff in the past. It's time to fire Baalke due to his poor overall draft choices. If this team is to achieve its potential, they can't afford to have draft classes like 2023. 

3. We have heard over and over about how great a team culture Pederson has built. One thing it clearly lacks is showing toughness during critical times. How could they let a poor Titans team run over them in a must-win game? They need to find maulers on both lines who will not allow the opposition to beat them up like the Titans did today.

4. This team does have enough talent to succeed once they improve the offensive line and interior of the defensive line. The receivers are above average, Engram is a top 5 tight end, Campbell and Cisco are solid but played hurt, Allen, Walker, Oluakun and Lloyd give the defense a solid foundation and Etienne is great when he has blocking.

So, in a nutshell, this team can still thrive under Lawrence but only if Khan makes some changes at the top.

(01-07-2024, 06:39 PM)enigma Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 06:35 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: The problem with a lot of fans is nobody looks at the facts. 

I'll givem to you.

He’s back to claiming all along he knew wisely that Trevor is a bust. 
Also, remember stroud won’t succeed in the nfl.

(01-07-2024, 06:04 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Maybe they should of left those towels alone..
https://twitter.com/NFL_Memes/status/174...0138276933

Cut Wingard tonite. Maybe the football gods will be appeased.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Honestly we are not a well liked franchise. I had hoped Trevor was the beginning of new era and then we had Urban. Watching them grow and improve last year was fools gold that led to too much arrogance.

I hope they do the second half of Rocky 3 and get to working harder than everyone else. This is a soft and entitled team that has a BS GM. All we can do is what we do every year, wait till next year.

Hooray we have a mid round pick but they same yahoos picking. This franchise is like salt peter.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(01-07-2024, 06:09 PM)MojoKing Wrote: Guys we weren’t making the Super Bowl even if we won. It’s fine, better draft pick + don’t have to play the ravens or chiefs next year

This right here. 

No way this team had any decent shot at the Super Bowl with the dysfunctional OL and on and off defense.