Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Big Picture Thread

Here are the facts right here...

Despite the collapse this season, we just had back to back winning seasons.

This Franchise has only had 1 winning season since 2007, prior to these past two seasons.

So for anybody calling for the QBs head, or calling to blow this whole thing up and start over... You're [BLEEP] delusional.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-07-2024, 09:35 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Here are the facts right here...

This Franchise has only had 1 winning season since 2007, prior to these past two seasons.

So for anybody calling for the QBs head, or calling to blow this whole thing up and start over... You're [BLEEP] delusional.
99% chance to make the play offs 6 weeks ago. This is by far one of the worst collapses in recent memory.

That's a concern. They didn't win [BLEEP]. Failure to make the play offs is a failure. If you're cool with passing these underachievers with a C+ this season?

Have at it. [BLEEP] had 6 weeks to get this right and all they needed was a [BLEEP] B- against a [BLEEP] D+ at best football team to get into the play off's.

They stunk it up. They laid down on defense like a [BLEEP]. They turned it over on offense like they didn't give a [BLEEP] to begin with.

I am tired of settling for mediocrity in Jacksonville. I was long tired of being content in the basement cellar. [BLEEP] that [BLEEP] man. [BLEEP] that [BLEEP].

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-07-2024, 09:42 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 09:35 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Here are the facts right here...

99% chance to make the play offs 6 weeks ago. This is by far one of the worst collapses in recent memory.

That's a concern. They didn't win [BLEEP]. Failure to make the play offs is a failure. If you're cool with passing these underachievers with a C+ this season?

Have at it. [BLEEP] had 6 weeks to get this right and all they needed was a [BLEEP] B- against a [BLEEP] D+ at best football team to get into the play off's.

They stunk it up. They laid down on defense like a [BLEEP]. They turned it over on offense like they didn't give a [BLEEP] to begin with.

I am tired of settling for mediocrity in Jacksonville. I was long tired of being content in the basement cellar. [BLEEP] that [BLEEP] man. [BLEEP] that [BLEEP].

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Because winning 4 games a year is better than winning 9 games right?

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2024, 01:18 AM by Jag149. Edited 2 times in total.)

Ok, in the spirit of this string here is my look at this season.

Since 2000
24 years in the playoffs 4 times - 2005.2007,2017,2022
Finished the season 1st twice each time playing a 4th place schedule.
2nd 5 times in the division (counting this year)
Only once since 2000 have the Jags finished above 500 in 2 consecutive years
Played 1st place schedule 3 times, finishing 6-10 twice (4th in the division) before finishing 9-8 this year. (2nd in the division)
In 2022 injuries were at a minimum, 2023 injuries were a constant issue.
Last year's team playing a 4th place schedule had a 3 games where fluky plays took a 6-11 team to a 9-8 record.
This year playing a 1st place schedule with no fluky plays the team finished 9-8, while at times beating themselves in the losses.

Based on the above I believe the team is moving in a positive direction.

PS, The Texans DID not play Buffalo, 49ers or Ravens.
The Colts DID not play the 49ers or Buffalo
That is the impact of a first place schedule...
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(01-07-2024, 06:22 PM)enigma Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 06:15 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: The big picture is, football is basically blocking and tackling.  We need to do those two things a whole lot better.  I hope in the offseason we find some players who just want to punch someone in the mouth.

Very true.

Throwing, running, catching, covering, and playcalling are pretty important though.

But unless you can block and tackle, none of that other stuff works at all.  You can't scheme your way out of poor blocking and tackling.

(01-07-2024, 10:02 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Ok, in the spirit of this string here is my look at this season.

Since 2000
24 years in the playoffs 4 times - 2005.2007,2017,2022
Finished the season 1st twice each time playing a 4th place schedule.
2nd 5 times in the division (counting this year)
Only once since 2000 have the Jags finished  above 500 in 2 consecutive years
Played 1st place schedule  3 times, finishing 6-10 twice (4th in the division)  before finishing 9-8 this year. (2nd in the division)
In 2022 injuries were at a minimum, 2023 injuries were a constant issue.
Last year's team playing a 4th place schedule had a 3 games where fluky plays took a 6-11 team to a 9-8 record.
This year playing a 1st place schedule with no fluky plays the team finished 9-8, while at times beating themselves in the losses.

Based on the above I believe the team is moving in a positive direction.

PS, The Texans DID not play Buffalo, 49ers or Ravens.
      The Colts DID not play the 49ers or Buffalo
        That is the impact of a first place schedule...
Good perspective.

(01-08-2024, 08:03 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 06:22 PM)enigma Wrote: Very true.

Throwing, running, catching, covering, and playcalling are pretty important though.

But unless you can block and tackle, none of that other stuff works at all.  You can't scheme your way out of poor blocking and tackling.

Yep, the foundation of this team is weak. Can Baalke fix it? Doubtful, but what choice have we but to wait and see.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-07-2024, 06:11 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Trev ain't been the same since his injuries and concussion. That part is pretty obvious. Dude needs better protection and more time in the pocket.

My 2 cents..

This. Ever since the ankle in the Bengals game Trevor has been off. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize what happened to this team. We got plagued with injuries at the worst possible time and don't have the depth to overcome it. Most teams don't.

Trevor's three games (after the 49ers loss) leading up to his ankle were lights out: 70.5%, 294yds/game, 2.5 Tds/game, one INT total, 1 fumble, 111.7 rating

After the ankle injury: 60%, 253 yds/gm, 1.75 TDs/gm, 1.75 INTs/gm, 4 fumbles, 73.65 rating.

Pretty obvious what happened here.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Obviously very disappointing and surprising end to the season. Going into the year we expected the offense to be our strength and were hoping defense would be good enough. Offense never really seemed all that in sync and became apparent early on the offensive line wasn't good. By the end of the year our oline was at the bottom of the pff rankings and the running game was non-existent. I know there is a lot of finger pointing ar trevor and press taylor but so hard to judge when the line is that bad. Defense probably overachieved early in the season with timely stops and turnovers. Even still never would have guessed the collapse we saw in second half of season. Assuming everyone saw the stat about leading the league in missed tackles during the 4 game losing streak. For as much as the league tweaks the rules to make the game more like basketball on grass, at the end of the day it's still fundamentally about blocking and tackling and we weren't good at either.

As we look foward ultimately we are just too soft on both lines of scrimmage. Need a major overhaul of the interior of the offensive line and need to get more stout at defensive tackle. And not just stout against the run, need to be able to pressure QB up the middle. I do worry about our ability to fix this. First, feels like this coaching staff prefers athleticism over physicality on the oline. Second we likely can't be big spenders in the free agent market so we need to get lucky finding value. And third our draft history under baalke hasn't been good so far. It's going to be a tall order but if we can get the interior of oline to be just league average, I think the offense could see real improvement next season.

On a complete side note, while I don't think we should move on from lawrence or pederson, I do wonder at times if lawrence is the perfect fit for how pederson wants to run the offense. All these short routes that have to be thrown with precision on time and typically in tight coverage just doesn't seem like it fits Lawrence's strengths. I think lawrence would be great on a power football team that likes to play action and throw down the field.

(01-08-2024, 08:54 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 06:11 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Trev ain't been the same since his injuries and concussion. That part is pretty obvious. Dude needs better protection and more time in the pocket.

My 2 cents..

This. Ever since the ankle in the Bengals game Trevor has been off. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize what happened to this team. We got plagued with injuries at the worst possible time and don't have the depth to overcome it. Most teams don't.

Trevor's three games (after the 49ers loss) leading up to his ankle were lights out: 70.5%, 294yds/game, 2.5 Tds/game, one INT total, 1 fumble, 111.7 rating

After the ankle injury: 60%, 253 yds/gm, 1.75 TDs/gm, 1.75 INTs/gm, 4 fumbles, 73.65 rating.

Pretty obvious what happened here.

Carr Bombed.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

7 of Lawrence's 14 interceptions this year came in his final 4 games (after the high ankle sprain). Sure, 1 of those was Engram's fault yesterday and there were several others through out the year that I didn't think were necessarily Lawrence's fault, but there was still a marked uptick in picks since that specific game/injury. That said, I don't think Lawrence's play was egregious enough in his final 4 games that he is the sole reason we lost each, but the down turn in his play (due to injury or for whatever reason you want to assign) certainly contributed. I think he was probably playing through significant enough pain to take a little zip off his ball or reduce his accuracy or a combination of things. Couple the downturn there with the defense's ability to defend the run falling off a cliff in the 2nd half of the year and several other factors including the lack of a short yardage, power running game and other roster deficiencies caught up. He'll be healthy to start next season and we'll very likely provide much better protection for him next year. He'll be fine and we'll be fine.

Big Picture:

Fix the trenches and this team wins the division with a cushion.

The heads everyone wants to see removed will likely get a chance to attempt the fix and work with the result, but I'm OK if they shake things up below Pederson. I think the roster is a greater issue than X's and O's by a wide margin, but coaching is not wholly exempt from this collapse either.

I'd wager we see fresh blood on the roster and status quo in the FO and staffing.

(01-08-2024, 12:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Big Picture:

The heads everyone wants to see removed will likely get a chance to attempt the fix and work with the result, but I'm OK if they shake things up below Pederson. I think the roster is a greater issue than X's and O's by a wide margin, but coaching is not wholly exempt from this collapse either. 

I'd wager we see fresh blood on the roster and status quo in the FO and staffing.

I tend to agree with that. I don't think anything really changes outside of maybe Rauscher
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We can all kivetch about this choking team but the signs were there all year. The offense was a dude all year. I am still waiting for them to put it together.

This team is careless, young, and unfocused. Really the NFL overall is a crappy product. The changes in the college game are producing a bigger draft crap shoot as well.

I don't know what this team will do. We have that air of doom about us still.

I can see overall positives but that was only the win column really. The on field product was a head scratcher. The Saints win was a few plays from collapse as well. The team choked the whole season.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2024, 12:56 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-08-2024, 12:30 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 12:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Big Picture:

I tend to agree with that. I don't think anything really changes outside of maybe Rauscher

Yeah, I don't know how Rauscher would keep his job.  Even if it was the talent he had to work with and not him, you cannot have a situation where there is no improvement and instead see further regression when you're the coach of the particular position group.

The t-shirt gag now having seen the full season results after the fact this year bring to question does the guy take his job seriously or not?

On of the biggest issues this team had with this season is coaching. The obvious fact that going from 8-3 to 9-8 is inexcusable. There were questionable calls near goal line situations on offense throughout the year. Red Zone offense has been a huge let down for this team in so many years. Defense is hot and cold. They play better teams closer. They implode against backups and a couch QB. 

Doug needs to do better. And I suggest they seriously look into a new OL coach and defensive coordinator.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2024, 02:23 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-08-2024, 02:13 PM)Jagulars Wrote: On of the biggest issues this team had with this season is coaching. The obvious fact that going from 8-3 to 9-8 is inexcusable. There were questionable calls near goal line situations on offense throughout the year. Red Zone offense has been a huge let down for this team in so many years. Defense is hot and cold. They play better teams closer. They implode against backups and a couch QB. 

Doug needs to do better. And I suggest they seriously look into a new OL coach and defensive coordinator.

Doug definitely deserves criticism for the collapse, I'm just not ready to dust off the old pitchfork for him specifically.  I'd be curious to know what the cause of some of the issues on defense from 1st half of the year to 2nd half of the year were.  I know we dealt with injuries all over, but the most significant ones to me seemed to be on offense.

(01-08-2024, 02:22 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 02:13 PM)Jagulars Wrote: On of the biggest issues this team had with this season is coaching. The obvious fact that going from 8-3 to 9-8 is inexcusable. There were questionable calls near goal line situations on offense throughout the year. Red Zone offense has been a huge let down for this team in so many years. Defense is hot and cold. They play better teams closer. They implode against backups and a couch QB. 

Doug definitely deserves criticism for the collapse, I'm just not ready to dust off the old pitchfork for him specifically.  I'd be curious to know what the cause of some of the issues on defense from 1st half of the year to 2nd half of the year were.  I know we dealt with injuries all over, but the most significant ones to me seemed to be on offense.

Lol, year 2 of this most recent rebuild with 2 winning seasons, 18 wins, and a playoff victory. These bozos would've been over the moon if you told them was the future when the Urban Error was let go. Basement to Entitlement in exactly 14 months.

(01-08-2024, 02:26 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 02:22 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Doug definitely deserves criticism for the collapse, I'm just not ready to dust off the old pitchfork for him specifically.  I'd be curious to know what the cause of some of the issues on defense from 1st half of the year to 2nd half of the year were.  I know we dealt with injuries all over, but the most significant ones to me seemed to be on offense.

Lol, year 2 of this most recent rebuild with 2 winning seasons, 18 wins, and a playoff victory. These bozos would've been over the moon if you told them was the future when the Urban Error was let go. Basement to Entitlement in exactly 14 months.

The issue is the collapse. We were 8-3. We had a stranglehold on the division. And we finished 1-5.

(01-08-2024, 02:27 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 02:26 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Lol, year 2 of this most recent rebuild with 2 winning seasons, 18 wins, and a playoff victory. These bozos would've been over the moon if you told them was the future when the Urban Error was let go. Basement to Entitlement in exactly 14 months.

The issue is the collapse. We were 8-3. We had a stranglehold on the division. And we finished 1-5.

Yes, they should've won the division. The world didn't end because they didn't, you just are experiencing unmet expectations and these fans don't have much experience with that.