Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Big Picture Thread

If they don't address the offensive line in the offseason then we know we have problems. However if you're Doug, you could be sitting there thinking to yourself you were 8-3 even with those offensive line challenges, but then your season fell apart when the defense went on a 4 game stretch where they were arguably the worst in the league. I think we all saw the graphic but i could post it again where it listed out we were at the bottom in yards/game allowed, points per game allowed, missed tackles. Add in the Titans game and they were arguably the worst unit in the league over the final 6 weeks of the season. And yes we had some guys dinged up but it's not as though we were missing lots of players. Basically your entire starting lineup was there for the Titans game. Yes there are some personnel challenges on the defensive side as well but worst in the league? Just unacceptable and it cost us back to back division titles.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2024, 10:34 AM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-09-2024, 09:07 AM)rfc17 Wrote: If they don't address the offensive line in the offseason then we know we have problems.  However if you're Doug, you could be sitting there thinking to yourself you were 8-3 even with those offensive line challenges, but then your season fell apart when the defense went on a 4 game stretch where they were arguably the worst in the league.  I think we all saw the graphic but i could post it again where it listed out we were at the bottom in yards/game allowed, points per game allowed, missed tackles.  Add in the Titans game and they were arguably the worst unit in the league over the final 6 weeks of the season.  And yes we had some guys dinged up but it's not as though we were missing lots of players.  Basically your entire starting lineup was there for the Titans game.  Yes there are some personnel challenges on the defensive side as well but worst in the league?  Just unacceptable and it cost us back to back division titles.

If Baalke is still here to make the decisions I'm fairly certain there will have been a conversation with Khan and Pederson prior to free agency about what Baalke thinks are the personnel issues with the team and what is his plan to fix them, who are his priority targets with input from Pederson or whoever.  Khan may not be a football guy, but even lazy analysis talking heads on TV know what the problem has been here in Jacksonville this season.  I'm sure Khan does as well.  Simply put, there's no way the interior offensive line isn't addressed in a significant way in either free agency, the draft, or both this offseason no matter who is GM.

(01-09-2024, 10:31 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: If Baalke is still here to make the decisions I'm fairly certain there will have been a conversation with Khan and Pederson prior to free agency about what Baalke thinks are the personnel issues with the team and what is his plan to fix them, who are his priority targets with input from Pederson or whoever.  Khan may not be a football guy, but even lazy analysis talking heads on TV know what the problem has been here in Jacksonville this season.  I'm sure Khan does as well.  Simply put, there's no way the interior offensive line isn't addressed in a significant way in either free agency, the draft, or both this offseason no matter who is GM.

Shad has to know. His son is too involved in the analytics not to know.

https://twitter.com/PremierNasir904/stat...90261?s=20

Nate Tice. Spot on once again.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2024, 12:41 PM by ChrisJagBoy. Edited 1 time in total.)

The sad thing is, I believe Balke would actually be a good GM to find solid OL players.. he did a great job taking Anton and signing Scherff. My issue is really his weird obsessions with drafting positions that we are already fine at.

Like in 2022 taking Muma and Lloyd, like why? we just signed Foye.
Or in 2023, taking Strange/Bigsby when we have Engram and ETN..

Just wasted draft picks.

It feels like he's drafting as if our team is already succesful and he's looking to the future.. when we had glarring holes on the OL/NB/DL

(01-09-2024, 12:24 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/PremierNasir904/stat...90261?s=20

This is it though. Its pretty obvious to everyone so I expect them to already have their ideas of who to go for in FA or draft to help on the lines. I don't like going into the Oline FA market as its just ridiculous figures for guys but hope they maybe have some players at other teams they think they could get with a later draft pick like they did with Cleveland. I'm not sure the answer to the Oline situation is with more rookies but am happy from a depth perspective.

Seeing what they do with Allen, Ridley and the other potential FA'S and if they let people go to save cap will give a good indication of where there thinking and priorities are. They may not get everything they are aiming for this offseason but there's no excuse if they don't attack it.

(01-09-2024, 12:38 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 12:24 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/PremierNasir904/stat...90261?s=20

This is it though. Its pretty obvious to everyone so I expect them to already have their ideas of who to go for in FA or draft to help on the lines. I don't like going into the Oline FA market as its just ridiculous figures for guys but hope they maybe have some players at other teams they think they could get with a later draft pick like they did with Cleveland. I'm not sure the answer to the Oline situation is with more rookies but am happy from a depth perspective.

Seeing what they do with Allen, Ridley and the other potential FA'S and if they let people go to save cap will give a good indication of where there thinking and priorities are. They may not get everything they are aiming for this offseason but there's no excuse if they don't attack it.

The sad thing is, Doug thinks Fortner is good and he thinks the oline is good when healthy.  Thats not good for Trevor, Etienne, or this offense.

(01-09-2024, 12:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 12:38 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: This is it though. Its pretty obvious to everyone so I expect them to already have their ideas of who to go for in FA or draft to help on the lines. I don't like going into the Oline FA market as its just ridiculous figures for guys but hope they maybe have some players at other teams they think they could get with a later draft pick like they did with Cleveland. I'm not sure the answer to the Oline situation is with more rookies but am happy from a depth perspective.

The sad thing is, Doug thinks Fortner is good and he thinks the oline is good when healthy.  Thats not good for Trevor, Etienne, or this offense.

I can't imagine he really thinks fortner is good, he's just being nice in public. He had the best C in football in Philly, he knows what a good C looks/plays like.

According to Rappaport, which I do not have a link to, Doug has lowered the hammer. Are you ready?

He fired the RB and assistant O line coaches.  Rolleyes

(01-09-2024, 12:53 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: According to Rappaport, which I do not have a link to, Doug has lowered the hammer. Are you ready?

He fired the RB and assistant O line coaches.  Rolleyes

Fire Press. Fire Rauscher. Fire Baalke.

(01-09-2024, 12:38 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: This is it though. Its pretty obvious to everyone so I expect them to already have their ideas of who to go for in FA or draft to help on the lines. I don't like going into the Oline FA market as its just ridiculous figures for guys but hope they maybe have some players at other teams they think they could get with a later draft pick like they did with Cleveland. I'm not sure the answer to the Oline situation is with more rookies but am happy from a depth perspective.

Yeah Fortner didn't really improve how you'd have liked this season. He still seems to struggle with recognition and gets bullied way too much. I don't see C as somewhere they particularly focus on sadly so he'll probably be starting again next year and hoping he takes big steps next year again which feels a very hopeful way to look at it.

It felt like their plan was to have Scherff be his mentor and help him out but it just hasn't worked.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2024, 01:01 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-09-2024, 12:44 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 12:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The sad thing is, Doug thinks Fortner is good and he thinks the oline is good when healthy.  Thats not good for Trevor, Etienne, or this offense.

I can't imagine he really thinks fortner is good, he's just being nice in public. He had the best C in football in Philly, he knows what a good C looks/plays like.

He has zero problems saying Trevor needs to play better and he needs to cut out the turnovers etc. but wont call out the centers poor play?  Call out our franchise but not the worst center in football?  ok

(01-09-2024, 12:57 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 12:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The sad thing is, Doug thinks Fortner is good and he thinks the oline is good when healthy.  Thats not good for Trevor, Etienne, or this offense.

Yeah Fortner didn't really improve how you'd have liked this season. He still seems to struggle with recognition and gets bullied way too much. I don't see C as somewhere they particularly focus on sadly so he'll probably be starting again next year and hoping he takes big steps next year again which feels a very hopeful way to look at it.

It felt like their plan was to have Scherff be his mentor and help him out but it just hasn't worked.

Didnt improve how you would have liked?  lol.   He regressed from last year and he sucked last year as well.  Hes the worst center in football in back to back years.  I agree that Fortner might just be our center next year.  The only way Dougs comments would make sense and acts like Fortner is our future and praises him is if its all smoke for the draft and there is a center he really likes.  Hopefully its all smoke so teams think we wont draft a center.

Do you really believe that the car salesman is going to fight for your offer with his manager, that the Nigerian Prince really wants to share his money, or that the stripper really likes you?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

In terms of Big Picture, the Jags will have to spend a significant amount of money/draft capital on defense if they want to bring in a new, reasonable DC; no one is going to sign up with the current defensive line-up without a promise of improvement.  The team have to bring back Josh Allen, with a near top of the market contract, then hope that he doesn't regress now that he has a new big dollar contract.  [I generally don't agree with the 'contract year' platitude, but if it fits anyone it's Josh Allen.]

I do think there is a limit to how many holes you can patch in one year, unless you try to "win" free agency which, in my opinion, never really works out.  So hopefully a retooled defense, doesn't get in the way of improving the interior OL.

Good news the cap is going to explode.

Bad news the team through 3 GMs can't build a roster. Trade Trevor and move to London if your going to do more of the same. I believe Doug is the best coach we have had but the roster is wholly dysfunctional.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(01-09-2024, 02:16 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: Good news the cap is going to explode.

Bad news the team through 3 GMs can't build a roster. Trade Trevor and move to London if your going to do more of the same. I believe Doug is the best coach we have had but the roster is wholly dysfunctional.

It's not close to wholly dysfunctional, they just need to shore up the middle on both sides of the ball. That could be as easy as a new center and a new nose tackle.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-09-2024, 08:10 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I don't know if this has been posted yet, but Chris Long is exactly correct. Perfect analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX2wjF46P6w

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(01-09-2024, 12:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 12:44 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I can't imagine he really thinks fortner is good, he's just being nice in public. He had the best C in football in Philly, he knows what a good C looks/plays like.

He has zero problems saying Trevor needs to play better and he needs to cut out the turnovers etc. but wont call out the centers poor play?  Call out our franchise but not the worst center in football?  ok

(01-09-2024, 12:57 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Yeah Fortner didn't really improve how you'd have liked this season. He still seems to struggle with recognition and gets bullied way too much. I don't see C as somewhere they particularly focus on sadly so he'll probably be starting again next year and hoping he takes big steps next year again which feels a very hopeful way to look at it.

Didnt improve how you would have liked?  lol.   He regressed from last year and he sucked last year as well.  Hes the worst center in football in back to back years.  I agree that Fortner might just be our center next year.  The only way Dougs comments would make sense and acts like Fortner is our future and praises him is if its all smoke for the draft and there is a center he really likes.  Hopefully its all smoke so teams think we wont draft a center.

Could be because he dosen't intend on Fortner starting/being here next year, why talk about him at all. Trevors obviously staying.

(01-09-2024, 04:53 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 12:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He has zero problems saying Trevor needs to play better and he needs to cut out the turnovers etc. but wont call out the centers poor play?  Call out our franchise but not the worst center in football?  ok

Could be because he dosen't intend on Fortner starting/being here next year, why talk about him at all. Trevors obviously staying.

Can only hope but im not counting on it

(01-09-2024, 04:53 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 12:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He has zero problems saying Trevor needs to play better and he needs to cut out the turnovers etc. but wont call out the centers poor play?  Call out our franchise but not the worst center in football?  ok

"We're only going talk about the guys that are here."

I remember a coach saying that about a hold out some years ago...