Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Big Picture Thread

(01-09-2024, 10:31 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 09:07 AM)rfc17 Wrote: If they don't address the offensive line in the offseason then we know we have problems.  However if you're Doug, you could be sitting there thinking to yourself you were 8-3 even with those offensive line challenges, but then your season fell apart when the defense went on a 4 game stretch where they were arguably the worst in the league.  I think we all saw the graphic but i could post it again where it listed out we were at the bottom in yards/game allowed, points per game allowed, missed tackles.  Add in the Titans game and they were arguably the worst unit in the league over the final 6 weeks of the season.  And yes we had some guys dinged up but it's not as though we were missing lots of players.  Basically your entire starting lineup was there for the Titans game.  Yes there are some personnel challenges on the defensive side as well but worst in the league?  Just unacceptable and it cost us back to back division titles.

If Baalke is still here to make the decisions I'm fairly certain there will have been a conversation with Khan and Pederson prior to free agency about what Baalke thinks are the personnel issues with the team and what is his plan to fix them, who are his priority targets with input from Pederson or whoever.  Khan may not be a football guy, but even lazy analysis talking heads on TV know what the problem has been here in Jacksonville this season.  I'm sure Khan does as well.  Simply put, there's no way the interior offensive line isn't addressed in a significant way in either free agency, the draft, or both this offseason no matter who is GM.

I listened to Pete and Tony’s show. According to them, we have only 10 starting quality players that were drafted by this organization. Drafting is a PROBLEM! Trent’s criteria and eye for draft talent is subpar. If Khan won’t fire him, at least give Doug final say. Not collaboration. Final say. I don’t if if Doug can choose better. But he can’t be worse. OR, give Tony final say over personnel and Trent reports to him, not Shad. (Throwing that one against the wall.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-09-2024, 05:10 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 10:31 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: If Baalke is still here to make the decisions I'm fairly certain there will have been a conversation with Khan and Pederson prior to free agency about what Baalke thinks are the personnel issues with the team and what is his plan to fix them, who are his priority targets with input from Pederson or whoever.  Khan may not be a football guy, but even lazy analysis talking heads on TV know what the problem has been here in Jacksonville this season.  I'm sure Khan does as well.  Simply put, there's no way the interior offensive line isn't addressed in a significant way in either free agency, the draft, or both this offseason no matter who is GM.

I listened to Pete and Tony’s show. According to them, we have only 10 starting quality players that were drafted by this organization. Drafting is a PROBLEM! Trent’s criteria and eye for draft talent is subpar. If Khan won’t fire him, at least give Doug final say. Not collaboration. Final say. I don’t if if Doug can choose better. But he can’t be worse. OR, give Tony final say over personnel and Trent reports to him, not Shad. (Throwing that one against the wall.)

Not sure I want this.  Strange was likely his guy last year and he was with the Eagles when they picked Reagor over JJ.  We need a new guy in the office

(01-09-2024, 05:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 05:10 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: I listened to Pete and Tony’s show. According to them, we have only 10 starting quality players that were drafted by this organization. Drafting is a PROBLEM! Trent’s criteria and eye for draft talent is subpar. If Khan won’t fire him, at least give Doug final say. Not collaboration. Final say. I don’t if if Doug can choose better. But he can’t be worse. OR, give Tony final say over personnel and Trent reports to him, not Shad. (Throwing that one against the wall.)

Not sure I want this.  Strange was likely his guy last year and he was with the Eagles when they picked Reagor over JJ.  We need a new guy in the office

Or hire an EVP over Trent to run the draft.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(01-09-2024, 05:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 05:10 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: I listened to Pete and Tony’s show. According to them, we have only 10 starting quality players that were drafted by this organization. Drafting is a PROBLEM! Trent’s criteria and eye for draft talent is subpar. If Khan won’t fire him, at least give Doug final say. Not collaboration. Final say. I don’t if if Doug can choose better. But he can’t be worse. OR, give Tony final say over personnel and Trent reports to him, not Shad. (Throwing that one against the wall.)

That's why I don't get too emotionally invested in the fate of a GM when the only people who know who is responsible for what draft pick is the owner, GM and coach and maybe a handful of other people in the building.  I know people on here and twitter like to pretend they know, but they don't.  Secondly, he's going into his 3rd draft here (where each person on this board might assign (guess) responsibility differently for picks between Trent, Urban and Doug) and guys from the 1st two drafts haven't fully developed to their potential yet and we want him gone already.  It's premature right now.  I think next year would be a more appropriate time to grade his performance and as outlined above, Khan knows who is responsible for what picks or what decisions led to missed opportunities in the draft.  Maybe it's Doug, but Doug has the longer leash because of pedigree.  Who knows.

Jaxson de Ville simulates the 2023 season.

https://youtube.com/shorts/cpTip2NLcDc?s...TNW95oMuIt

(01-09-2024, 04:59 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 04:53 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Could be because he dosen't intend on Fortner starting/being here next year, why talk about him at all. Trevors obviously staying.

"We're only going talk about the guys that are here."

I remember a coach saying that about a hold out some years ago...

New Doug who dis.

Here's some big picture for everyone.

From 2018 to 2021 (4 seasons) the Jaguars won a total of 15 games (Coaches Meyer, Bevell, Marrone)

2017 was the outlier year where they won 10 games (Marrone's 1st year)

From 2012 to 2016 (5 seasons) the Jaguars won a total of 17 games (Marrone, Bradley, Mularky)

In 2021 and 2022 the Jaguars selected #1 in the NFL draft because they held the worst record in football two years in a row.

We gave our shiny new Franchise QB to a sociopath for his rookie year.

The 2022 team with a mid roster won a division title and playoff game in Year 1.

In two seasons the team has won 18 regular season games.

Yes, we need to fix the issues from this past season, but this team is practically a miracle based on where we were just 24 months ago.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-10-2024, 09:35 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Here's some big picture for everyone.

From 2018 to 2021 (4 seasons) the Jaguars won a total of 15 games (Coaches Meyer, Bevell, Marrone)

2017 was the outlier year where they won 10 games (Marrone's 1st year)

From 2012 to 2016 (5 seasons) the Jaguars won a total of 17 games (Marrone, Bradley, Mularky)

In 2021 and 2022 the Jaguars selected #1 in the NFL draft because they held the worst record in football two years in a row.

We gave our shiny new Franchise QB to a sociopath for his rookie year.

The 2022 team with a mid roster won a division title and playoff game in Year 1.

In two seasons the team has won 18 regular season games.

Yes, we need to fix the issues from this past season, but this team is practically a miracle based on where we were just 24 months ago.

real perspective, people ^  free for the taking

Some of y'all should try it on. 

The FO needs to steer a different tack this year in addressing roster improvement - but after 2 years of this regime - we are in a better place than we've been in a long, long time. 
Let's see if year 3 is when they capitalize more completely.

Everyone hated Press Taylor in August (because they were told to, not for any legitimate reason), but here's the results:

Total Offense: 13th
Passing Offense: 9th
Rushing Offense: 24th
Scoring Offense: 13th
Red Zone: 21st
3rd Down: 17th

What do the stats say? The Jags can't run the ball which inhibits their scoring, 3rd down % , and Red Zone succes.

Why can't they run the ball? Weakness in the middle of the line.

Can it be fixed? That's the question, but if it is? Man, this team could be great.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-10-2024, 10:39 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Everyone hated Press Taylor in August (because they were told to, not for any legitimate reason), but here's the results:

Total Offense: 13th
Passing Offense: 9th
Rushing Offense: 24th
Scoring Offense: 13th
Red Zone: 21st
3rd Down: 17th

What do the stats say? The Jags can't run the ball which inhibits their scoring, 3rd down % , and Red Zone succes.

Why can't they run the ball? Weakness in the middle of the line.

Can it be fixed? That's the question, but if it is? Man, this team could be great.

Starts and ends with this. I've been critical of Press, but we were also critical of Doug, and people will always complain about their play caller when the team is struggling.

It's hard to fault Press when the run game just simply is not an option. Fix the IOL and the offense as a whole takes a huge jump.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(01-10-2024, 12:15 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/DanDGriffis/status/1...81144?s=20

Can also manufacture over $50 million in cap dollars with between 4 and 6 veteran cuts. There's no reason this team can't buy some bulk for the middle on Day 1 of free agency.

https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/17451...75433?s=20

Dilla had the Caldwell news before anyone on Monday. Seems he's got the pulse on this one.

What is it with Doug and Press?

(01-10-2024, 03:07 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/17451...75433?s=20

Dilla had the Caldwell news before anyone on Monday. Seems he's got the pulse on this one.

Interesting. I absolutely trust Dilla's inside sources. However, there's a disconnect like we've all been seeing and saying between Lawrence, Pederson and Taylor. 

I think here's the best way to view it:

1. It was Press Taylor's first year up to bat calling the offense on his own. 
2. The offensive line from LT - RG are poverty stricken on paper when it comes to overall grades.
3. The offensive line from LT - RG are obviously poverty stricken on film when it comes to passing the eyeball test.
4. The amount of drops and turnovers are not completely on the offensive player caller, that's a combination of the player's not executing while also being put into positions where the obvious option is passing it most of the time. 

I think the obvious issue in this equation is Baalke. Period. He was responsible for building this roster, he had a full year advantage on Pederson and his staff. He had a full year advantage with Lawrence and the 2021 draft class and free agency class. 

This is an interesting dynamic already just two years into this marriage. The one constant is Baalke's fingerprints on it, and Baalke's decision making between Meyer's entry and exit and Pederson's entry. 

Khan has to do the right thing here in my opinion. 

You side with Pederson, you cut ties with Baalke, and you tell Pederson that Taylor has one more year to prove any detractor's wrong or we'll be going in a different route in the 2025 calendar year because he has to make a massive decision in regards to Lawrence's future here in Jacksonville.

With that said, it should be abundantly clear that Baalke needs to go.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2024, 03:39 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 2 times in total.)

(01-10-2024, 03:34 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 03:07 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/17451...75433?s=20

Interesting. I absolutely trust Dilla's inside sources. However, there's a disconnect like we've all been seeing and saying between Lawrence, Pederson and Taylor. 

I think here's the best way to view it:

1. It was Press Taylor's first year up to bat calling the offense on his own. 
2. The offensive line from LT - RG are poverty stricken on paper when it comes to overall grades.
3. The offensive line from LT - RG are obviously poverty stricken on film when it comes to passing the eyeball test.
4. The amount of drops and turnovers are not completely on the offensive player caller, that's a combination of the player's not executing while also being put into positions where the obvious option is passing it most of the time. 

I think the obvious issue in this equation is Baalke. Period. He was responsible for building this roster, he had a full year advantage on Pederson and his staff. He had a full year advantage with Lawrence and the 2021 draft class and free agency class. 

This is an interesting dynamic already just two years into this marriage. The one constant is Baalke's fingerprints on it, and Baalke's decision making between Meyer's entry and exit and Pederson's entry. 

Khan has to do the right thing here in my opinion. 

You side with Pederson, you cut ties with Baalke, and you tell Pederson that Taylor has one more year to prove any detractor's wrong or we'll be going in a different route in the 2025 calendar year because he has to make a massive decision in regards to Lawrence's future here in Jacksonville.

With that said, it should be abundantly clear that Baalke needs to go.

You're surely in the majority around here on this, but I would say there is a lot of speculation in your post so I would take issue with the phrase "abundantly clear".

(01-10-2024, 03:25 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: What is it with Doug and Press?

It doesn't need to be mysterious.

Pederson legit believes in the guy and wants to see him succeed/ thinks they can run a good offense together. 
Not everyone shares Doug's confidence.
 I know I'm being capt. obvious here, but it seems folks keep inventing narratives about this dynamic when it is likely just really simple.

It's also helpful to remind ourselves that no one in the entire org knows who was at fault on every single offensive mishap better than Doug Pederson, the architect of the playbook. 
He knows exactly where Press called something questionable and exactly where poor execution was a greater or sole culprit.

(01-10-2024, 03:39 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 03:25 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: What is it with Doug and Press?

It doesn't need to be mysterious.

Pederson legit believes in the guy and wants to see him succeed/ thinks they can run a good offense together. 
 I know I'm being capt. obvious here, but it seems folks keep inventing narratives about this dynamic when it is likely just really simple.

It's also helpful to remind ourselves that no one in the entire org knows who was at fault on every single offensive mishap better than Doug Pederson, the architect of the playbook. 
He knows exactly where Press called something questionable and exactly where poor execution was a greater or sole culprit.

I asked the question a few days ago, but no one was brave enough to pose an answer.

Why, specifically, did folks have such a negative reaction to Press Taylor as OC? 

I've never seen an assistant coach get so much heat just for getting a job before, yet some folks around here want to attribute every single thing wrong with the franchise to Press Taylor. I just don't get it. He's an assistant coach who had no record on which to base such a response, but man, people just fixated on him like a pit bull on a mailman.

(01-10-2024, 04:47 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 03:39 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: It doesn't need to be mysterious.

I asked the question a few days ago, but no one was brave enough to pose an answer.

Why, specifically, did folks have such a negative reaction to Press Taylor as OC? 

I've never seen an assistant coach get so much heat just for getting a job before, yet some folks around here want to attribute every single thing wrong with the franchise to Press Taylor. I just don't get it. He's an assistant coach who had no record on which to base such a response, but man, people just fixated on him like a pit bull on a mailman.

The age of Madden football games giving folks an unearned feeling of offensive knowledge - combined with the current lust for instant gratification and blame assignment/cancel-culture made him the easiest scapegoat for those unwilling or unable to actually assess the problems.

To me the real issue is two-fold:
  • The complacency or low priority given to the OL personnel improvement 
  • The doubling down on being an almost 100% ZBS run scheme that removed from candidacy multiple OL draft picks and free agents better suited to a power run game

They could have prioritized the line and they could have done so without limiting their scope to players of certain traits. They (Baalke/Pederson) elected not to do these things and the combination of those decisions weakened their offense more than they thought possible. 

Taylor was handcuffed to varying degrees throughout the season by the result of this stuff ^ giving him an ineffective run game and a shrunken passing playbook that required too many quick passes with limited opportunities to look deep.
Now -  Couple that with a 3rd year QB who can't help but want to look deep anyway - throwing off the timing of the easy stuff underneath at times - then just for good measure - mix in 4 injuries to said QB -  and here we are. 

But the two bullet points above are the root issue IMO to the 2023 Jags offense never realizing potential.

(01-10-2024, 05:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 04:47 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I asked the question a few days ago, but no one was brave enough to pose an answer.

The age of Madden football games giving folks an unearned feeling of offensive knowledge - combined with the current lust for instant gratification and blame assignment/cancel-culture made him the easiest scapegoat for those unwilling or unable to actually assess the problems.

To me the real issue is two-fold:
  • The complacency or low priority given to the OL personnel improvement 
  • The doubling down on being an almost 100% ZBS run scheme that removed from candidacy multiple OL draft picks and free agents better suited to a power run game

They could have prioritized the line and they could have done so without limiting their scope to players of certain traits. They (Baalke/Pederson) elected not to do these things and the combination of those decisions weakened their offense more than they thought possible. 

Taylor was handcuffed to varying degrees throughout the season by the result of this stuff ^ giving him an ineffective run game and a shrunken passing playbook that required too many quick passes with limited opportunities to look deep.
Now -  Couple that with a 3rd year QB who can't help but want to look deep anyway - throwing off the timing of the easy stuff underneath at times - then just for good measure - mix in 4 injuries to said QB -  and here we are. 

But the two bullet points above are the root issue IMO to the 2023 Jags offense never realizing potential.
And even with all of this they still finished 13th in total offense, cleary the scheme is not that bad, and even if it was, its Doug system and Press is just calling the plays( with Doug imput, may I add).

This year I feel like we moved the ball up and down the field on a lot of good defenses, if not for the turnovers we could be even higher