Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Notable 2023 stats:

(01-08-2024, 10:19 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Here's a notable stat for you:

8 - 3 start
9 - 8 finish

Funny and not funny at the same time. The essence of great comedy.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2024, 12:07 PM by Caldrac.)

Bortles was a turnover machine. Lawrence has been as well. The difference though, is that, Bortles would throw interceptions that went back all the way for scores.

That's all I can remember about him. Damn near half the time he threw an interception it was telegraphed and returned to sender.

I'll give Lawrence that at least. His turnovers are nauseating but he's had very few INT's or FUM's go the other way for TD's. He had at least three interceptions this season that were not on him as well.

Engram being involved in two of those I believe. The missed PI in the win over Houston and the volleyball lob yesterday.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-08-2024, 11:51 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 11:49 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: Here's a fun stat:

Trevor Lawrence completion percentage;
Year 1 - 59.6%
Year 2 - 66.3%
Year 3 - 65.6%

Blake Bortles completion percentage:
Year 1 - 58.9%
Year 2 - 58.6%
Year 3 - 58.9%

More fun stats:

Trevor Lawrence YPA:
Year 1 - 6.0
Year 2 - 7.0
Year 3 - 7.1

Bortles YPA:
Year 1 - 6.1
Year 2 - 7.3
Year 3 - 6.2

And perhaps most importantly:

Lawrence's first 3 years: 20-30-0 (With Urban Disaster as coach during one of those years, following a season where we went 1-15) with 1 playoff win
Bortles first 3 years: 11-34-0 with 0 playoff wins.

Let's not forget in Bortles 5th year, after he won a playoff game, he had a top 5 defense in both yards and points, and we still won only 5 games. Meanwhile, Trevor Has the 17th ranked defense and still won almost twice that.

Lol Trevor has Ridley/Kirk/Zay/Engram

Bortles had AR for a single season, Allen hurns and.. who else?

Also Doug P's system is RPO heavy a lot of screens/short passes gonna contribute to a higher cmp pct.

Ridley coming off a year suspension.
Christian Kirk who never had a 1000 yard season before Lawrence. Kirk was overpaid after a single good season. 
Engram was also super pedestrian before coming here.

Also Robinson for a single season? Try 3! His first three as a matter of fact.
I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(01-08-2024, 12:07 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Bortles was a turnover machine. Lawrence has been as well. The difference though, is that, Bortles would throw interceptions that went back all the way for scores.

That's all I can remember about him. Damn near half the time he threw an interception it was telegraphed and returned to sender.

I'll give Lawrence that at least. His turnovers are nauseating but he's had very few INT's or FUM's go the other way for TD's. He had at least three interceptions this season that were not on him as well.

Engram being involved in two of those I believe. The missed PI in the win over Houston and the volleyball lob yesterday.

True, Bortles sucked. But he still scored more often than Trevor.

(01-08-2024, 12:13 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 12:07 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Bortles was a turnover machine. Lawrence has been as well. The difference though, is that, Bortles would throw interceptions that went back all the way for scores.

Easy to score in Garbage Time.

A lot of Bortles stats came in Garbage time. I feel people forget this, and it's why stats don't tell the whole story.
I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2024, 12:38 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-08-2024, 11:48 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 11:42 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Yeah the fumbles have been an issue, but Bortles was way more careless with the ball through the air and his completion percentage was under 60% for his career.  A comparison of years 2 and 3 for both tells a different story.  And of course watching the two play and understanding context helps immensely.  Bortles routinely threw picks on our own side of the field.  That's not been a consistent theme with Trevor. He's generally been careful with the ball in the air though that changed a bit after the high ankle sprain.

Bortles years 2 and 3: 58 TDs 34 INTs 11 Fumbles (45 tuyrnovers)
Lawrence years 2 and 3: 46 TDs 22 INTS 22 Fumbles ( 44 turnovers )

Does it tho..

Yes, you've isolated his biggest concern which is the fumbles which isn't a reflection on his ability as a passer or QB.  Many have occurred without contact as he takes off to run.  It needs to be fixed and yes it's aggravating that we're now through year 3 and it hasn't significantly changed.  It's a legitimate gripe.  

I would have also liked to have seen more TD passes wind up on the stat sheet this year for him, but again there are plenty of guys who throw a bunch of TD passes and in turn throw a bunch of INTs because they are just throwing it up and hoping versus knowing better when to throw it or not.  They don't last long as starters because they cost you games you would otherwise have won and by extension get coaches fired.  Bortles is one of those guys as is Jameis Winston.  They're fine as back ups, but you can't trust them for a full season.  

Number of TD passes isn't necessarily a reflection of being a better QB.  It requires a context of having watched the players play and an understanding of what you're seeing versus just pulling up football stats years later which as I've said to you multiple times previously isn't the same thing as looking at baseball stats.  You'd body people in baseball stat conversations, I have no doubt.  Here, it comes off more as an attachment to your initial negative opinion on him.  He had a statistically underwhelming 3rd year for whatever reason(s) based on where expectations were.  Having watched the entire season, I think the bulk of those reasons were things outside of his control that contributed to it and I believe based on what I've seen with my eyes that he and the team will bounce back next year when certain roster issues are (hopefully) properly addressed.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2024, 12:45 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-08-2024, 12:28 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 12:13 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: True, Bortles sucked. But he still scored more often than Trevor.

Easy to score in Garbage Time.

A lot of Bortles stats came in Garbage time. I feel people forget this, and it's why stats don't tell the whole story.

Exactly. That one year where Bortles had 35 TD's to 17 INT's was mostly produced in garbage time. I remember that year, late in the 4th quarter. He throws a 90 yard TD to Allen Robinson against the Saints in New Orleans. Great pass. For being down by 30 points against a practice squad quality corner there.

This is where I get a little pissed off from my perspective. You get a lot of bottom line readers and box score readers that don't actually watch the game, they don't actually see the battle flow nor the typical downs and distances that all lead into these issues and up's and down's and twist's and turns. 

The Bortles and Gabbert era's were dark. With one good year that was carried by a stout defense that feasted on an underwhelming schedule with QB challenged teams and a promising rookie season debut by Fournette and some help from Yeldon and Grant. There was nothing overly special about that 2017 season other than the defense playing out of it's mind and Bortles managing to play like Joe Flacco in the post season. 

Lawrence is far from perfect. We all know that. This roster and coaching staff is all far from perfect and the decision makers in the personnel department are not helping. So, again, it's overreaction Monday for 90% of the MSM, the local's and this diehard fanbase. I get it.

Ultimately. Everybody needs to play better. Nobody is absolved from this. Not even our best football players. Where was Josh Allen on defense yesterday? Where was Oluokon? Where was Walker? We needed those guys the most in crunch time and they ultimately weren't enough with the other eight starters on defense to overcome a 28 point deficit. 

They allowed a 6 win team to dictate the terms of battle from the very first whistle. Period. They ran it right up our [BLEEP]. What did our defense do? They bent over and said "Right this way please". You gave Henry his best game of the season yesterday. And everybody KNEW it was coming and they KNEW he was going to get fed the football and they did NOTHING to stop it.

Nobody deserves a pass for this disaster. Nobody.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Lawrence also throws a much better ball. He’s not always accurate but by and large, it’s predictable. Bortles’ mechanics where hit or miss from game to game and sometimes from play to play. One play you get a perfect, on target spiral, the next a wounded duck hitting a guy in the shoe tops or fluttering off the back of a helmet.

So let’s count our blessings, lol.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(01-08-2024, 12:36 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 11:48 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Bortles years 2 and 3: 58 TDs 34 INTs 11 Fumbles (45 tuyrnovers)
Lawrence years 2 and 3: 46 TDs 22 INTS 22 Fumbles ( 44 turnovers )

Does it tho..

Yes, you've isolated his biggest concern which is the fumbles which isn't a reflection on his ability as a passer or QB.  Many have occurred without contact as he takes off to run.  It needs to be fixed and yes it's aggravating that we're now through year 3 and it hasn't significantly changed.  It's a legitimate gripe.  

I would have also liked to have seen more TD passes wind up on the stat sheet this year for him, but again there are plenty of guys who throw a bunch of TD passes and in turn throw a bunch of INTs because they are just throwing it up and hoping versus knowing better when to throw it or not.  They don't last long as starters because they cost you games you would otherwise have won and by extension get coaches fired.  Bortles is one of those guys as is Jameis Winston.  They're fine as back ups, but you can't trust them for a full season.  

Number of TD passes isn't necessarily a reflection of being a better QB.  It requires a context of having watched the players play and an understanding of what you're seeing versus just pulling up football stats years later which as I've said to you multiple times previously isn't the same thing as looking at baseball stats.  You'd body people in baseball stat conversations, I have no doubt.  Here, it comes off more as an attachment to your initial negative opinion on him.  He had a statistically underwhelming 3rd year for whatever reason(s) based on where expectations were.  Having watched the entire season, I think the bulk of those reasons were things outside of his control that contributed to it and I believe based on what I've seen with my eyes that he and the team will bounce back next year when certain roster issues are (hopefully) properly addressed.

(01-08-2024, 12:43 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 12:28 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: Easy to score in Garbage Time.

Exactly. That one year where Bortles had 35 TD's to 17 INT's was mostly produced in garbage time. I remember that year, late in the 4th quarter. He throws a 90 yard TD to Allen Robinson against the Saints in New Orleans. Great pass. For being down by 30 points against a practice squad quality corner there.

This is where I get a little pissed off from my perspective. You get a lot of bottom line readers and box score readers that don't actually watch the game, they don't actually see the battle flow nor the typical downs and distances that all lead into these issues and up's and down's and twist's and turns. 

The Bortles and Gabbert era's were dark. With one good year that was carried by a stout defense that feasted on an underwhelming schedule with QB challenged teams and a promising rookie season debut by Fournette and some help from Yeldon and Grant. There was nothing overly special about that 2017 season other than the defense playing out of it's mind and Bortles managing to play like Joe Flacco in the post season. 

Lawrence is far from perfect. We all know that. This roster and coaching staff is all far from perfect and the decision makers in the personnel department are not helping. So, again, it's overreaction Monday for 90% of the MSM, the local's and this diehard fanbase. I get it.

Ultimately. Everybody needs to play better. Nobody is absolved from this. Not even our best football players. Where was Josh Allen on defense yesterday? Where was Oluokon? Where was Walker? We needed those guys the most in crunch time and they ultimately weren't enough with the other eight starters on defense to overcome a 28 point deficit. 

They allowed a 6 win team to dictate the terms of battle from the very first whistle. Period. They ran it right up our [BLEEP]. What did our defense do? They bent over and said "Right this way please". Nobody deserves a pass for this disaster. Nobody.

You mean like the game where Bortles threw 5 TD passes in 1 game and just barely lost to the Titans because our defense couldn't stop Marcus Mariota from running for like 150 yards?

"Garbage time" lol.. Wheres Trevors garbage time stats at. We've had plenty of terrible games with him where "garbage time" would apply.

(01-08-2024, 12:45 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 12:36 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Yes, you've isolated his biggest concern which is the fumbles which isn't a reflection on his ability as a passer or QB.  Many have occurred without contact as he takes off to run.  It needs to be fixed and yes it's aggravating that we're now through year 3 and it hasn't significantly changed.  It's a legitimate gripe.  

(01-08-2024, 12:43 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Exactly. That one year where Bortles had 35 TD's to 17 INT's was mostly produced in garbage time. I remember that year, late in the 4th quarter. He throws a 90 yard TD to Allen Robinson against the Saints in New Orleans. Great pass. For being down by 30 points against a practice squad quality corner there.

They allowed a 6 win team to dictate the terms of battle from the very first whistle. Period. They ran it right up our [BLEEP]. What did our defense do? They bent over and said "Right this way please". Nobody deserves a pass for this disaster. Nobody.

You mean like the game where Bortles threw 5 TD passes in 1 game and just barely lost to the Titans because our defense couldn't stop Marcus Mariota from running for like 150 yards?

"Garbage time" lol.. Wheres Trevors garbage time stats at. We've had plenty of terrible games with him where "garbage time" would apply.

Been down this rabbit hole already with Bortles and situational football. I am not going back down it. Feel free to dig through his game logs on pro-football-reference.com to find the same conclusions I found years ago. 

Bortles had opportunities to keep his job, he found some job opportunities around the NFL in a back-up capacity. He ultimately faded into obscurity after one little brief moment in the sun. 

I liked the guy. He had a fun personality, had some great soundbites, but, he was just a little too Joe Cool and laidback without the actual gusto and wins to support it. No harm, no foul. Same feelings I had for Gardner Minshew. Cool guy, just falls a little short when it matters the most.

(01-08-2024, 12:45 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 12:36 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Yes, you've isolated his biggest concern which is the fumbles which isn't a reflection on his ability as a passer or QB.  Many have occurred without contact as he takes off to run.  It needs to be fixed and yes it's aggravating that we're now through year 3 and it hasn't significantly changed.  It's a legitimate gripe.  

(01-08-2024, 12:43 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Exactly. That one year where Bortles had 35 TD's to 17 INT's was mostly produced in garbage time. I remember that year, late in the 4th quarter. He throws a 90 yard TD to Allen Robinson against the Saints in New Orleans. Great pass. For being down by 30 points against a practice squad quality corner there.

The hell we have. We lost badly to 3 teams this year; The tin horns Rd 1, San Fran, and Tampa. The Texans loss was a comedy of errors. San Fran destroyed this team while Tampa just outplayed them. Aside from those three games, every other one was close. Even the Ravens was a 3 point game in the 4th quarter. We lost to KC by 8 points in a game that wasn't as close as the score really. Everything else was one score. Bortles was often in garbage time at the second half kick off. Quit exagerating to try and justify that stupid Stikeout you did in your sig. We all knew you weren't honest when you wrote it, it just took some adversity for you to drop the mask.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-08-2024, 12:13 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:

Well Trevor is married so that’s not a fair comparison.

-Married guy

(01-08-2024, 01:26 PM)Jags32250 Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 12:13 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: True, Bortles sucked. But he still scored more often than Trevor.
Well Trevor is married so that’s not a fair comparison.

-Married guy

The difference between having a go to Receiver and being able to spread the ball around to whoever is open.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-08-2024, 12:50 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 12:45 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: You mean like the game where Bortles threw 5 TD passes in 1 game and just barely lost to the Titans because our defense couldn't stop Marcus Mariota from running for like 150 yards?

Been down this rabbit hole already with Bortles and situational football. I am not going back down it. Feel free to dig through his game logs on pro-football-reference.com to find the same conclusions I found years ago. 

Bortles had opportunities to keep his job, he found some job opportunities around the NFL in a back-up capacity. He ultimately faded into obscurity after one little brief moment in the sun. 

I liked the guy. He had a fun personality, had some great soundbites, but, he was just a little too Joe Cool and laidback without the actual gusto and wins to support it. No harm, no foul. Same feelings I had for Gardner Minshew. Cool guy, just falls a little short when it matters the most.

I think you're mistaking my dissapointment in Trevor with Bortles praise. 

Bortles was terrible. Trevor has been bad too.

(01-08-2024, 01:40 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 12:50 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Been down this rabbit hole already with Bortles and situational football. I am not going back down it. Feel free to dig through his game logs on pro-football-reference.com to find the same conclusions I found years ago. 

I think you're mistaking my dissapointment in Trevor with Bortles praise. 

No. I get it. Both guys were or have been turnover prone. It's something that needs to be addressed heavily in the off season with Lawrence as well. It's a process. Going into year four it needs to be less of a process and more of an automatic, regardless of circumstance or personnel challenges. 

Do. Not. Make. A. Bad. Situation. Worse. 

It's either there or it's not there. More Checkdown Charlie. Less Ragtime Randy. He needs to also hit the deck more when he's running around out there and he needs to keep two hands on the football. 

Not sure what he does in the off season to stay or tune up his football mechanics but he might want to incorporate a lot of bail out running scenarios and multiple practice personnel around him with heavily padded broomsticks trying to whack the football out of his hands or arms. 

Also would like to see use ladders in front of him in drop back passing scenarios. To get more air under the football on deep shots. Had a few get away from him this season and it noticeably hurt. At one point he was one of the better, if not, the best deep ball passer in the NFL QB rating wise. 

Not sure where he finished out there now.

(01-08-2024, 01:27 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 01:26 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Well Trevor is married so that’s not a fair comparison.

-Married guy

The difference between having a go to Receiver and being able to spread the ball around to whoever is open.

Holy massage oil, Batman!
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(01-08-2024, 01:27 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 01:26 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Well Trevor is married so that’s not a fair comparison.

-Married guy

Now I understand why some said Trevor is a one-read guy

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2024, 05:25 PM by ChrisJagBoy. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-08-2024, 03:16 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 01:40 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I think you're mistaking my dissapointment in Trevor with Bortles praise. 

No. I get it. Both guys were or have been turnover prone. It's something that needs to be addressed heavily in the off season with Lawrence as well. It's a process. Going into year four it needs to be less of a process and more of an automatic, regardless of circumstance or personnel challenges. 

Do. Not. Make. A. Bad. Situation. Worse. 

It's either there or it's not there. More Checkdown Charlie. Less Ragtime Randy. He needs to also hit the deck more when he's running around out there and he needs to keep two hands on the football. 

Not sure what he does in the off season to stay or tune up his football mechanics but he might want to incorporate a lot of bail out running scenarios and multiple practice personnel around him with heavily padded broomsticks trying to whack the football out of his hands or arms. 

Also would like to see use ladders in front of him in drop back passing scenarios. To get more air under the football on deep shots. Had a few get away from him this season and it noticeably hurt. At one point he was one of the better, if not, the best deep ball passer in the NFL QB rating wise. 

Not sure where he finished out there now.

Personally I don't think Trevor does much Mechanically wrong, it's just the errant throws that sail over the WRs heads (which I tend to think is either because he either, thinks he can make the perfect pin point throw which isn't realistic, or the pass rush is affecting his aim) and the decisions to throw a deeper pass into double-triple coverage when theirs a guy wide open underneath. 

It's always been a mental thing with him, I don't think anyone (myself included) thinks he is similar to Blake Bortles as a player in anyway outside of some mental errors. Bortles wasn't a smart QB nor did he have the physical talent. Trevor has the talent physically, but it's yet to be determined whether or not he can truely put it together mentally. 

That's my honest take. I don't want to give up on him, because I do think there can be something there.. but will it ever show up? Don't know.

Trevor has a subpar stretch of games while dealing with 4 different injuries and a bunch of turnstiles on the line and cjb is back to being neurotic. I felt bad for him.when NYC would rub his face in the piss on the carpet but I won't make that same mistake again next year when Trev comes out blazing.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2024, 05:42 PM by ChrisJagBoy. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-08-2024, 05:33 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Trevor has a subpar stretch of games while dealing with 4 different injuries and a bunch of turnstiles on the line and cjb is back to being neurotic. I felt bad for him.when NYC would rub his face in the piss on the carpet but I won't make that same mistake again next year when Trev comes out blazing.

[Image: 47d78dbe57cecb27540bdbd3aa9ac2f4.png]

Oh you're right, he's been so different the past 4 games vs the rest of them....

Did you know Trevor Lawrence has never passed for more than 2 TDs in a game without a turnover? lol.