Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
40 years in Florida never seen cancel school this wide for a thunderstorm

Is Florida changing or what? I remember going to school during all kinds of weather. The news hyping this thing up worse then hurricanes what gives?
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

No doubt..

But after seeing some of this wind that's been going on, I can kinda see why. This was supposed to hit us right when the kids were getting released from school and I don't think they want school busses on the road with this garbage.

Better safe than sorry.

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(01-09-2024, 03:47 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: https://twitter.com/CollinRugg/status/17...xMYgg&s=19

Now that's what I call dropping in on your neighbor.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2024, 04:04 PM by americus 2.0.)

50mph winds and tornadoes dude. Two places in FL already torn up by tornadoes.

(01-09-2024, 03:34 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Is Florida changing or what? I remember going to school during all kinds of weather. The news hyping this thing up worse then hurricanes what gives?

Are you not seeing the news?

(01-09-2024, 04:03 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: 50mph winds and tornadoes dude. Two places in FL already torn up by tornadoes.

(01-09-2024, 03:34 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Is Florida changing or what? I remember going to school during all kinds of weather. The news hyping this thing up worse then hurricanes what gives?

I guess just weird how they've blew this storm up. We get storms like this all the time in Florida.

Aww fiddlyfoo! Back in my day, we rode tornadoes to school!

[Image: 1fpg3n.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2024, 04:37 PM by EricC85.)

(01-09-2024, 04:34 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Aww fiddlyfoo! Back in my day, we rode tornadoes to school!

[Image: 1fpg3n.jpg]

No no we rode alligators during hurricanes to school no need to exaggerate

(01-09-2024, 03:47 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: https://twitter.com/CollinRugg/status/17...xMYgg&s=19

Panama is like new Orleans I don't know why we keep rebuilding there mother nature keeps trying to reclaim it every few years

(01-09-2024, 04:33 PM)EricC85 Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 04:03 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: 50mph winds and tornadoes dude. Two places in FL already torn up by tornadoes.

I guess just weird how they've blew this storm up. We get storms like this all the time in Florida.

Here in my part of NC schools closed and small businesses have closed early. This weather is like a hurricane but with tornado activity.

Had to been bad. The weather guys have their jackets off and sleeves rolled up like they're gettin ready to fight someone or start flappin wings.

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(01-09-2024, 04:33 PM)EricC85 Wrote:

I have to agree with you.  Just a windy day with a thunderstorm in the afternoon.  Watching the news leading up to this you would think that we were about to get hit with a category 5 hurricane.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(01-09-2024, 05:51 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 04:33 PM)EricC85 Wrote: I guess just weird how they've blew this storm up. We get storms like this all the time in Florida.

I have to agree with you.  Just a windy day with a thunderstorm in the afternoon.  Watching the news leading up to this you would think that we were about to get hit with a category 5 hurricane.

When my wife told me they cancelled school I was shocked then I saw it was all over the place schools closed. 

If that's the new normal we're gonna have more closed days then the north does for snow days.

I have experienced many storms since moving here to NC and only once have I seen wind and rain like I saw today and that was due to a hurricane. Wow. At one point it rained so hard we couldn't see our neighbor's house across the road. The wind was crazy.

Thankfully our power went out toward the tail end of the worst of it so linemen were able to get the lights back on in about 5 hours. I'm so grateful for our generator to keep the food cold/frozen, our camp stove to heat up leftover soup, the rain barrels that store water to use to flush toilets, and our 'prepper' mentality that keeps us ready for unexpected events.

(01-09-2024, 07:54 PM)EricC85 Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 05:51 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I have to agree with you.  Just a windy day with a thunderstorm in the afternoon.  Watching the news leading up to this you would think that we were about to get hit with a category 5 hurricane.

When my wife told me they cancelled school I was shocked then I saw it was all over the place schools closed. 

If that's the new normal we're gonna have more closed days then the north does for snow days.
Yep it's just everyone scared of anything and being sued. I barely even noticed the wind today but the timing would have made them hold kids in school.

In the Midwest, most companies and schools will force you into the basement shelters whenever a tornado warning is issued. They will lock the doors and not just from outside entry, you cannot leave the building. Not sure how they get away with it but they do it.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2024, 04:32 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 5 times in total.)

The primary concern here in Jax was that the bridges might have had to be closed due to winds above 39 mph. This is SOP for any wind-related event. As many of you might know, we have 7 major crossings of the St Johns river here in Jax, and various other crossings of tributaries all over town. The storm rolled thru here between 2 and 6, which was pickup time for most schools. Just a bad day in general to be out on the road.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

I lost a palm tree, some roof shingles and 2 sections of fence. But I won't have to prune this spring, so there's that!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-10-2024, 10:45 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I lost a palm tree, some roof shingles and 2 sections of fence. But I won't have to prune this spring, so there's that!

We had a bunch of dead branches come down that we couldn't reach without hiring a bucket truck so I'm not sad. 

A neighbor down the road has a giant mature long leaf pine tree down in his yard. He's lucky it or any of its branches didn't hit his house. He's going to have to hire someone to cut that thing up and move it. It's massive.

I was wondering the same thing. We’ve had severe storm systems before without cancellations. It was pretty windy and there was a EF-0 tornado in the Bartram Park area so I guess it was ultimately the right call though.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(01-11-2024, 08:22 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:

I was wondering the same thing. We’ve had severe storm systems before without cancellations. It was pretty windy and there was a EF-0 tornado in the Bartram Park area so I guess it was ultimately the right call though.

Up until about 1:00, I thought it was a complete overreaction. However, when the storm hit about the time school would have been letting out, I saw it was the right call. Plus, as NewJagsCity pointed out, it had the real potential of closing the bridges because of wind speed.

(01-11-2024, 08:40 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-11-2024, 08:22 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: I was wondering the same thing. We’ve had severe storm systems before without cancellations. It was pretty windy and there was a EF-0 tornado in the Bartram Park area so I guess it was ultimately the right call though.

Up until about 1:00, I thought it was a complete overreaction. However, when the storm hit about the time school would have been letting out, I saw it was the right call. Plus, as NewJagsCity pointed out, it had the real potential of closing the bridges because of wind speed.

I guess ol' Timmy D know's what he's talkin' about. ;-)
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.