Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags to Hire Nielsen (Merged Threads)

(01-12-2024, 05:36 PM)Marcos25067 Wrote: https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...1438305367

Say the head coach doesn't know anything about defense without saying it.

Nah this screams it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-12-2024, 05:43 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 05:36 PM)Marcos25067 Wrote: https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...1438305367

Say the head coach doesn't know anything about defense without saying it.

Nah this screams it.

Not going to lie. I hope he figures this job out fast because it's a lot to ask a guy to step up into a new role while also finding his guys to bring along. So far, these all feel like lateral moves with the exception of Evero and Nielsen. 

I would be going after former head coaches at this point to run the defense. Rivera, Del Rio, Zimmer, etc. Playing with fire otherwise.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-12-2024, 05:48 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 05:43 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: Say the head coach doesn't know anything about defense without saying it.

Nah this screams it.

Not going to lie. I hope he figures this job out fast because it's a lot to ask a guy to step up into a new role while also finding his guys to bring along. So far, these all feel like lateral moves with the exception of Evero and Nielsen. 

I would be going after former head coaches at this point to run the defense. Rivera, Del Rio, Zimmer, etc. Playing with fire otherwise.
Need to call up Rex Ryan

(01-12-2024, 05:48 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 05:43 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: Say the head coach doesn't know anything about defense without saying it.

Nah this screams it.

I would be going after former head coaches at this point to run the defense.  Del Rio, Zimmer, etc. Playing with fire otherwise.

Agree...but I don't want Rivera.   Just doesn't feel right imo.
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

I would prefer an established attacking coordinator.

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2024, 08:40 PM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

Go jags ! Pick someone great please

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2024, 08:54 PM by NewJagsCity.)

(01-12-2024, 01:12 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I think Pederson has to consider an established coordinator. As much as I would like to see Jim Leonhard personally. He'd be a first time NFL DC.

I think somebody like Frazier, Zimmer, Del Rio, Rivera & Martindale make the most sense. Especially with Doug approaching year three here. This is usually a make or break mark for most head coaches.

Agree that they need a veteran DC, but that may not do the whole job. They are soft and lack basic fundamentals. They need refresher courses on tackling, staying in thier lanes (no freelancing), and communication.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(01-12-2024, 08:53 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 01:12 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I think Pederson has to consider an established coordinator. As much as I would like to see Jim Leonhard personally. He'd be a first time NFL DC.

I think somebody like Frazier, Zimmer, Del Rio, Rivera & Martindale make the most sense. Especially with Doug approaching year three here. This is usually a make or break mark for most head coaches.

Agree that they need a veteran DC, but that may not do the whole job. They are soft and lack basic fundamentals. They need refresher courses on tackling, staying in thier lanes (no freelancing), and communication.

They did all that up until later in the season when they ran out of gas and confidence.

https://twitter.com/JVillainsPod/status/...LQ6EQ&s=19

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2024, 10:11 AM by Caldrac.)

https://twitter.com/jordandelugo/status/...jLxBw&s=19

https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/statu...y1b2Q&s=19

(01-12-2024, 06:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 05:48 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Not going to lie. I hope he figures this job out fast because it's a lot to ask a guy to step up into a new role while also finding his guys to bring along. So far, these all feel like lateral moves with the exception of Evero and Nielsen. 

Need to call up Rex Ryan

(01-13-2024, 10:11 AM)Caldrac Wrote: https://twitter.com/jordandelugo/status/...jLxBw&s=19

https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/statu...y1b2Q&s=19

I'd like this, bringing in a coach from the best defense in the league.  Maybe he could help us get Madabuike who is a FA if we get him.  Madabuike should be a huge plus to this defense

Draft Turner or Verse, Walker moves to DE in the 3-4 and takes Clowneys spot. Sign Madabuike and trade up a few spots and draft Powers Johnson in the 2nd.

Let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves although I suppose it’s nice to dream of what could be soon. lol.

(01-13-2024, 10:23 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Draft Turner or Verse, Walker moves to DE in the 3-4 and takes Clowneys spot.  Sign Madabuike and trade up a few spots and draft Powers Johnson in the 2nd.

You don't want Walker at End in the 34, you want him there in a 43. In a 34 the 3 have one job, to engage and hold the Olinmen so the linebackers can make plays rushing the passer. Walker is much more talented than that and in the 43 the End gets the 1:1 shots on the tackle; that's where the pass rushers make their living. If this hand is on the ground he need to be on or outside the tackle.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2024, 10:58 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-13-2024, 10:45 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-13-2024, 10:23 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Draft Turner or Verse, Walker moves to DE in the 3-4 and takes Clowneys spot.  Sign Madabuike and trade up a few spots and draft Powers Johnson in the 2nd.

You don't want Walker at End in the 34, you want him there in a 43. In a 34 the 3 have one job, to engage and hold the Olinmen so the linebackers can make plays rushing the passer. Walker is much more talented than that and in the 43 the End gets the 1:1 shots on the tackle; that's where the pass rushers make their living. If this hand is on the ground he need to be on or outside the tackle.
Setting the edge isn't the only job for a 3-4 end lol.  The elite ones also push the pocket and get to the QB, or just use their quick first step and split or gonaround the linemman.  Like a JJ Watt, AD, Jordan, Heyward etc.  They are also closer to the QB.  Have Walker put on 5 to 10 pounds and he could be one of those elite 3-4 end players.  On passing downs you could put Walker wide if you wanted.  I'd like to see Walker down with Turner or Verse rushing the QB next to him. Hewitt can use him like they did Clowney

This defense needs a beast 3-4 end that can help the edge rushers.

(01-13-2024, 10:54 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-13-2024, 10:45 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You don't want Walker at End in the 34, you want him there in a 43. In a 34 the 3 have one job, to engage and hold the Olinmen so the linebackers can make plays rushing the passer. Walker is much more talented than that and in the 43 the End gets the 1:1 shots on the tackle; that's where the pass rushers make their living. If this hand is on the ground he need to be on or outside the tackle.
Setting the edge isn't the only job for a 3-4 end lol.  The elite ones also push the pocket and get to the QB, or just use their quick first step and split or gonaround the linemman.  Like a JJ Watt, AD, Jordan, Heyward etc.  They are also closer to the QB.  Have Walker put on 5 to 10 pounds and he could be one of those elite 3-4 end players.  On passing downs you could put Walker wide if you wanted.  I'd like to see Walker down with Turner or Verse rushing the QB next to him.  Hewitt can use him like they did Clowney

Really it doesn't matter what you call it - but an interior pass rusher/disruptor is missing from our defense. 

It was supposed to be Hamilton but we may never know if he was going to live up to the extension now. 

We have run so much nickel - this guy would essentially be a 3tech DT in that 4 man front - and we run enough bear front - that he'd be a 3-4 end in those sets. No telling if this approach lives on after Caldwell's dismissal. 

Regardless - we need a 300 pound guy that whoops guards all day and ruins the pocket for opposing QBs. 
Someone akin to Javon Hargrave even if it is a poor man's version. 

It'll be up to the next coordinator to figure out the formations and position monikers for the guy, but I don't think he's on this roster yet unless Hamilton has a miracle comeback and exceeds his former healthy play.

(01-13-2024, 11:26 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-13-2024, 10:54 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Setting the edge isn't the only job for a 3-4 end lol.  The elite ones also push the pocket and get to the QB, or just use their quick first step and split or gonaround the linemman.  Like a JJ Watt, AD, Jordan, Heyward etc.  They are also closer to the QB.  Have Walker put on 5 to 10 pounds and he could be one of those elite 3-4 end players.  On passing downs you could put Walker wide if you wanted.  I'd like to see Walker down with Turner or Verse rushing the QB next to him.  Hewitt can use him like they did Clowney

Really it doesn't matter what you call it - but an interior pass rusher/disruptor is missing from our defense. 

It was supposed to be Hamilton but we may never know if he was going to live up to the extension now. 

We have run so much nickel - this guy would essentially be a 3tech DT in that 4 man front - and we run enough bear front - that he'd be a 3-4 end in those sets. No telling if this approach lives on after Caldwell's dismissal. 

Regardless - we need a 300 pound guy that whoops guards all day and ruins the pocket for opposing QBs. 

It'll be up to the next coordinator to figure out the formations and position monikers for the guy, but I don't think he's on this roster yet unless Hamilton has a miracle comeback and exceeds his former healthy play.

Hamilton was our NT the can push the pocket at times but he isn't a interior pass rusher lol.   Walker they could move around in in nickel packages depending on down and distance and if he's fresh, who we are playing to get missmatches on the oline etc.  .  I'm talking about in early downs, base 3-4.  If we can get Verse or Turner put Walker at 3-4 end.  Like Texans done with Watt, Rams have done with AD, Steelers with Heyward, Ravens with Clowney etc.  Even if Hamilton comes back 100% we still don't have that guy that is the interior pass rusher which is why I'd love to sign Madabuike.  That's a interior pass rusher and can play the big end in a 3-4 opposite Walker and move inside in nickle packages

(01-13-2024, 11:37 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-13-2024, 11:26 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Really it doesn't matter what you call it - but an interior pass rusher/disruptor is missing from our defense. 

Hamilton was our NT the can push the pocket at times but he isn't a interior pass rusher lol.   Walker they could move around in in nickel packages depending on down and distance and if he's fresh, who we are playing to get missmatches on the oline etc.  .  I'm talking about in early downs, base 3-4.  If we can get Verse or Turner put Walker at 3-4 end.  Like Texans done with Watt, Rams have done with AD, Steelers with Heyward, Ravens with Clowney etc.  Even if Hamilton comes back 100% we still don't have that guy that is the interior pass rusher which is why I'd love to sign Madabuike.  That's a interior pass rusher and can play the big end in a 3-4 opposite Walker and move inside in nickle packages
Hamilton has played the 0, the 5, and the 3 since coming to Jax. 

And he was the highest rated interior pass rusher we had in 2022, so they signed him to an extension for 10 mil per year. Then they didn't add anyone else of note to the IDL. They were counting on DH to collapse pockets and they added no one else to do so. 

So it doesn't matter what you mistakenly think they were doing with him or where they lined him up - he was their only real option to disrupt the pocket with RRH a distant second based on 2022 effectiveness of penetration. 

Hamilton has split NT duty with Fatukasi ever since he's been here btw. 

Matabuike is exactly the type of guy I referred to in my post as what they need to add. 

All of the "moving Walker inside" blather is silly. 
Walker is doing great at OLB and they just need a depth OLB behind him so they can kick him inside on maybe 15% of his snaps or so to maximize some 3rd down pressure rate. He isn't changing positions.

(01-13-2024, 12:07 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-13-2024, 11:37 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Hamilton was our NT the can push the pocket at times but he isn't a interior pass rusher lol.   Walker they could move around in in nickel packages depending on down and distance and if he's fresh, who we are playing to get missmatches on the oline etc.  .  I'm talking about in early downs, base 3-4.  If we can get Verse or Turner put Walker at 3-4 end.  Like Texans done with Watt, Rams have done with AD, Steelers with Heyward, Ravens with Clowney etc.  Even if Hamilton comes back 100% we still don't have that guy that is the interior pass rusher which is why I'd love to sign Madabuike.  That's a interior pass rusher and can play the big end in a 3-4 opposite Walker and move inside in nickle packages
He played the 0 and the 3

And he was the highest rated interior pass rusher we had the year before, so they signed him to an extension for 10 mil per year. Then they didn't add anyone else of note to the IDL. They were counting on DH to collapse pockets and they added no one else to do so. 

So it doesn't matter what you mistakenly think they were doing with him or where they lined him up - he was their only real option to disrupt the pocket with RRH a distant second based on 2022 effectiveness of penetration. 

Matabuike is exactly the type of guy I referred to in my post as what they need to add. 

Walker is doing great at OLB and they just need a depth OLB behind him so they can kick him inside on maybe 15% of his snaps or so to maximize some 3rd down pressure rate. He isn't changing positions.
You have zero clue what the new DC will do with Walker.  Walker hasnt been great like you say but he has definitely improve a good bot and its nice to see. I think depends on what we do in the draft.  If we draft draft Verse or Turner in the 1st I think they move Walker down in base.  You think if they take one of these edge rushers in the 1st they should have him come off the bench instead of having all 3 on the field at the same time?  

You have been wrong on this for a while and yes Hamilton played NT and 3 tech. Just because he was our best interior pass rusher last year means nothing lol, it's because we suck in that department.   Most lineman move around on the line.   Last year a interior pass rusher was a huge need even before Hamilton got injured.  Maybe you consider Hamilton a interior pass rusher, but he isnt, hes a NT, he was a 335 pound NT that can push the pocket and get in the QBs face at times.   Even if we brought in a other NT Hamilton isnt the guy i want at 3 tech and relying on him to put pressure on the QB in crucial situations, thats not who he is.  We need more than what he brings to the table even when 100%.  Now Matabuike is exactly what this team needs?  Lolol.  If Hamilton was this interior pass rusher as you say Matabuike wouldn't be such a huge need.

(01-13-2024, 12:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-13-2024, 12:07 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: He played the 0 and the 3

And he was the highest rated interior pass rusher we had the year before, so they signed him to an extension for 10 mil per year. Then they didn't add anyone else of note to the IDL. They were counting on DH to collapse pockets and they added no one else to do so. 

You have zero clue what the new DC will do with Walker.  Walker hasnt been great like you say but he has definitely improve a good bot and its nice to see. I think depends on what we do in the draft.  If we draft draft Verse or Turner in the 1st I think they move Walker down in base.  You think if they take one of these edge rushers in the 1st they should have him come off the bench instead of having all 3 on the field at the same time?  

You have been wrong on this for a while and yes Hamilton played NT and 3 tech. Just because he was our best interior pass rusher last year means nothing lol, it's because we suck in that department.   Most lineman move around on the line.   Last year a interior pass rusher was a huge need even before Hamilton got injured.  Maybe you consider Hamilton a interior pass rusher, but he isnt, hes a NT, he was a 335 pound NT that can push the pocket and get in the QBs face at times.   Even if we brought in a other NT Hamilton isnt the guy i want at 3 tech and relying on him to put pressure on the QB in crucial situations, thats not who he is.  We need more than what he brings to the table even when 100%.  Now Matabuike is exactly what this team needs?  Lolol.  If Hamilton was this interior pass rusher as you say Matabuike wouldn't be such a huge need.

Holy hell, you are missing everything I'm saying. 

I'm saying that the 2023 Jags staff were counting on Hamilton to be the primary guy that disprupts the pocket. 

I'm not saying he's a classic 5 tech Hargrave type. 

The closest thing they had to that was RRH and they likely knew he was no where near being a consistent disruptive force. 
But they did see what Davon Hamilton did in 2022 playing 0 tech, 5 tech and 3 tech at times and they paid him handsomely to keep doing it. 

This 2023 defense missed the penetration Hamilton achieved in 2022 immensely. 

Of course I still want them to sign a 5 tech type to really get after QBs from the inside, I've started multiple threads about it for chrissakes, but it doesn't change the fact that the Jags brass were counting on disruption from DH, it didn't happen, and it hurt the defense.