Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
YOU are the GM! Fix the team!

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2024, 03:52 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-20-2024, 09:12 AM)Newton Wrote: Doesn’t that mean we need to lock Josh Allen up first?

Yes, and there's little reason for Allen to sign a deal, weeks away from free agency unless he loves Jacksonville through and through and is willing to forgo seeing the best offer which would almost certainly only come from multiple offers driving the price up.  

It's easy to imagine Baalke/Pedersen saying, "Hey this is what your market value is, go check Spotrac if you don't believe us, (lol) and here is our offer slightly above that market value" in the hopes that he he feels the market value is genuine and the Jags offer is the highest or very close to the highest he'd see.  It's easy to imagine that, but it shouldn't be the expectation that Allen goes along with that rationale.  His agent will be persuading him not to sign and to wait to see if he can hit free agency.

If I put myself in his shoes, even if I want to stay in Jacksonville, I want to see what the offers are so I can pry as much out of Jacksonville as I possibly can and have a back up plan if that doesn't work out.

That's why the tag will be used on him in my opinion and he'll probably be tagged on the last day eligible unless talks break down before that.  No question Allen is the priority over Ridley with the tag.  Was Ridley's 2023 season all that impressive to the rest of the league to worry about tagging him anyway?  I think if we want him in free agency, we'll be able to sign him without breaking the bank.  Even if that's not the case, you can't risk losing Allen in free agency by tagging Ridley.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-22-2024, 01:22 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-22-2024, 11:32 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I wish we could trade Robinson for picks, I know it's likely impossible tho because of his contract.

I agree, except that we wouldn't get anywhere near a high enough pick for Baalke to make a good selection. It's possible we could find a taker around draft time, but I think the sentiment about Cam is that he's still valuable enough to keep.

I wouldn't be opposed to keep him at a cheaper rate, but if he wont take a pay cut u kinda have to cut him..unless they can figure out a way to work around his contract.

I really don't know what to think. Guess we just wait and see.

Cap Space:

$14.4 million

Cuts:
Cam Robinson (Don't want to but his contract suggests you have to) - $17.3 Million
Raysahwn Jenkins - $9.3 million
Zay Jones - $7.7 million
Brandon Scherff - $16.5 million

Total Cap Space: $65.2 million

Josh Allen gets a Nick Bosa light type deal... Cap Number should be around $17 million
Trevor Lawrence gets a Justin Herbert type deal... Cap Number around $30 million (Replacing his current 11 million so only adds $20 million)

28.2 million remaing cap space

Rookie Pool ~11 million million

17.2 million to fill Back end FAs

Can probably fit one good guard (Dotson) in there for about $12 million cap signing. Kevin Zeitler could be slight cheaper option for more space.

Rest are gonna have to be cheapies.

Could restructure Kirk here and buy some more space as well.

https://www.al.com/sports/2024/01/calvin...utType=amp

Sounds like Ridley would like to return

(01-16-2024, 09:10 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(01-16-2024, 09:08 PM)Shad Khans Mustache Wrote: Like thats any better, lmao

32 - 20 = 12.

Bottom 12.

Not to beat this one to death, but math nerd in me had to point it out:

The 20th best line would be bottom 13, not bottom 12.  There are 12 more teams behind you.

Carry on.

(01-22-2024, 08:06 PM)HardcoreMoJagFan Wrote: Cap Space:

$14.4 million

Cuts:
Cam Robinson (Don't want to but his contract suggests you have to) - $17.3 Million
Raysahwn Jenkins - $9.3 million
Zay Jones - $7.7 million
Brandon Scherff - $16.5 million

Total Cap Space: $65.2 million

Josh Allen gets a Nick Bosa light type deal... Cap Number should be around $17 million
Trevor Lawrence gets a Justin Herbert type deal... Cap Number around $30 million (Replacing his current 11 million so only adds $20 million)

28.2 million remaing cap space

Rookie Pool ~11 million million

17.2 million to fill Back end FAs

Can probably fit one good guard (Dotson) in there for about $12 million cap signing.  Kevin Zeitler could be slight cheaper option for more space.

Rest are gonna have to be cheapies.

Could restructure Kirk here and buy some more space as well.

What do we have to offer Cleveland, Agnew, Ridley?

If I could choose 2 out of that group I’m ditching Ridley.

I'm ditching Agnew in a heartbeat. Generally with an expensive QB you can't have multiple expensive pass catchers.

We already have two: engram and kirk

(01-23-2024, 08:32 PM)HardcoreMoJagFan Wrote: I'm ditching Agnew in a heartbeat.  Generally with an expensive QB you can't have multiple expensive pass catchers.

Yeah and some think we can get Higgins and Ridley. There is no way they are paying 3 WRs 18+ million each.
No Fun

(01-23-2024, 09:37 PM)nhiverson Wrote:
(01-23-2024, 08:32 PM)HardcoreMoJagFan Wrote: I'm ditching Agnew in a heartbeat.  Generally with an expensive QB you can't have multiple expensive pass catchers.

Yeah and some think we can get Higgins and Ridley. There is no way they are paying 3 WRs 18+ million each.

Not sure what makes anyone think a guy like Higgins coming off a 42 catch 652 yard season is getting 18m/year. I like Higgins, and the idea of reuniting him with Trevor but he is not better than Kirk/Ridley by any means.

(01-23-2024, 10:23 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(01-23-2024, 09:37 PM)nhiverson Wrote: Yeah and some think we can get Higgins and Ridley. There is no way they are paying 3 WRs 18+ million each.

Not sure what makes anyone think a guy like Higgins coming off a 42 catch 652 yard season is getting 18m/year. I like Higgins, and the idea of reuniting him with Trevor but he is not better than Kirk/Ridley by any means.

While Higgins is understandably intriguing because of the traits he possesses that our corps does not...
...no guarantee that will make him the magic sauce/missing puzzle piece. 

Also possible that Ridley in year two of his return with an offseason to tweak his role in the offense will be quite valuable. 

The thing that makes it tough is that replacing 1000 yards and 9 TDs + 200-ish yards of DPI calls in this league is essentially impossible with a rookie - and really expensive with free agency  - and we have pick spent on #0

(01-23-2024, 11:37 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-23-2024, 10:23 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Not sure what makes anyone think a guy like Higgins coming off a 42 catch 652 yard season is getting 18m/year. I like Higgins, and the idea of reuniting him with Trevor but he is not better than Kirk/Ridley by any means.

While Higgins is understandably intriguing because of the traits he possesses that our corps does not...
...no guarantee that will make him the magic sauce/missing puzzle piece. 

Also possible that Ridley in year two of his return with an offseason to tweak his role in the offense will be quite valuable. 

The thing that makes it tough is that replacing 1000 yards and 9 TDs + 200-ish yards of DPI calls in this league is essentially impossible with a rookie - and really expensive with free agency  - and we have pick spent on #0

I agree, I wouldn't be looking to replace Ridley with Higgins.. I'd love to have Higgins and have Ridley/Higgins outside with Kirk in the slot, but even tho I don't believe he's worth 18m/year i'm sure he'll get more than he's worth on the open market regardless.

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2024, 04:26 AM by nhiverson. Edited 1 time in total.)

I seen a salary estimate that spotrac has ridley wanting 17m and Higgins at 18.6 and doesn't Kirk already make 20 something. I only mentioned both because some on twitter talk about both. I'd take it if possible but not sure about that.

For FA I hope they get a G and C
resign Allen of course
Go after Snead from the chiefs.
No Fun

Sign Ridley for 17, cut Zay and Agnew, and draft a WR. I like it.

(01-24-2024, 10:07 AM)g1ml3t Wrote: Sign Ridley for 17, cut Zay and Agnew, and draft a WR. I like it.

I'm kind of on this thought process. I want to see us get both a center/G in free agency, and draft a playmaking WR at 17 and then potentially a Tackle in round 2 (unless they find a way to keep Robinson for a lower price) then i'd be okay with using that 2nd rounder on either a DT/Another guard.

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2024, 12:57 PM by AnOldBrownie. Edited 4 times in total.)

(01-23-2024, 10:23 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(01-23-2024, 09:37 PM)nhiverson Wrote: Yeah and some think we can get Higgins and Ridley. There is no way they are paying 3 WRs 18+ million eac

Come on n,w.

Tee Higgins is 5 years younger, 3 inches taller...and would provide Trevor or any QB with a much bigger target that can outfight defensive backs for a ball.  HWhat makes you think teams aren't going to be willing to pay Tee over 20 million?  He had no starting QB this season and he had a ham injury.

Ridley is going to get 20 million per from someone.   I'd bet you he will.

That is, unless we franchise him...which is projected to be 21 million for the year.

Tee Higgins is definitely getting more than 20 million per.   Size, hands, speed, youth.

Edited thanks to NYC: I believe we have to franchise Ridley for a year, release Zay, not resign Tim Jones, hate to do it...not resign Agnew...and draft Ridley's future replacement with the 17th pick. The Steelers got George Pickens with a second round pick. That is the type of player the Jags need. Not another Kirk/Ridley route runner.
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2024, 12:52 PM by AnOldBrownie. Edited 2 times in total.)

Fletcher Cox for 1 year.  In Philie's last game this season he balled out...at 33.  The back end of their defense was crap, but Fletcher kept pushing whomever was blocking him into the backfield.  IMO the with Roy and Devon under contract...the Jags are only going to be able to afford an older player to solidify the Dline.  Fletcher can still dominate...and we can probably pay him more than Philly would want to.

Gotta have some NT skill that will push the center of the pocket.

Quote:Fletcher Cox signed a 1 year, $10,000,000 contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, including a $8,500,000 signing bonus, $10,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $10,000,000. In 2024, Cox will earn a base salary of $1,500,000, while carrying a cap hit of $5,700,000 and a dead cap value of $14,300,000.

Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

(01-24-2024, 12:33 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote:
(01-23-2024, 10:23 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Not sure what makes anyone think a guy like Higgins coming off a 42 catch 652 yard season is getting 18m/year. I like Higgins, and the idea of reuniting him with Trevor but he is not better than Kirk/Ridley by any means.

Come on n,w.

Tee Higgins is 5 years younger, 3 inches taller...and would provide Trevor or any QB with a much bigger target that can outfight defensive backs for a ball.  HWhat makes you think teams aren't going to be willing to pay Tee over 20 million?  He had no starting QB this season and he had a ham injury.

That is, unless we franchise him...which is projected to be 21 million for the year.

Tee Higgins is definitely getting more than 20 million per.   Size, hands, speed, youth.

I believe we have to franchise Ridley for a year, release Zay, release Tim Jones, hate to do it...but release Agnew...and draft Ridley's future replacement with the 17th pick.  The Steelers got George Pickens with a second round pick.  That is the type of player the Jags need.  Not another Kirk/Ridley route runner.

A few points here:

1. This must be the 5th post I've seen in two days saying "release Agnew" 
He's a free agent. We are not releasing him. We are just unlikely to offer him another deal. 
Forgive my nit picking. 

2. Tim Jones is a bench guy who has always been one step away from the practice squad. 
Guys like him have their fate determined in August leading up to cuts and have no real bearing on roster management until then. However - he is ALSO a free agent. So no need to release him either. 

3. There are only going to be like 4 top caliber free agent receivers on the market this year, so they will all get overpaid based on the most basic supply and demand dynamics. Higgins will cost more tan Ridley - and we have a draft pick invested in Ridley. So - those things work against the acquisition. I still would not be opposed though.

(01-24-2024, 12:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-24-2024, 12:33 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: Come on n,w.

I believe we have to franchise Ridley for a year, release Zay, release Tim Jones, hate to do it...but release Agnew...and draft Ridley's future replacement with the 17th pick.  The Steelers got George Pickens with a second round pick.  That is the type of player the Jags need.  Not another Kirk/Ridley route runner.

A few points here:

He's a free agent. We are not releasing him. We are just unlikely to offer him another deal. 
Forgive my nit picking. 

2. Tim Jones is a bench guy who has always been one step away from the practice squad. 
Guys like him have their fate determined in August leading up to cuts and have no real bearing on roster management until then. However - he is ALSO a free agent. So no need to release him either. 

3. There are only going to be like 4 top caliber free agent receivers on the market this year, so they will all get overpaid based on the most basic supply and demand dynamics. Higgins will cost more tan Ridley - and we have a draft pick invested in Ridley. So - those things work against the acquisition. I still would not be opposed though.

I'm completely not worried about the Receivers room. They can take a guy in the first three rounds to fill it out if needed based on what they do with Ridley and Zay. I do NOT believe this team needs to put more free agent money in the skill positions, that money should go to big strong mean men to play in the dirt. Let's roll with the same group we had this year but include a draft pick more physically gifted than Parker Washington. Washington showed already that he could be the 3 but likely the 4 or 5 and return man. If we go into Week 1 with Ridley, Kirk, draftee, Washington, Cooks, 3rd day/UDFA/PS guy I'm fine with it. Those guys will do the job if we fix the run game and pass pro. If the draftee is one of Franklin/Thomas/Coleman/Legette then we'll be set.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-24-2024, 01:05 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-24-2024, 12:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: A few points here:

Forgive my nit picking. 

I'm completely not worried about the Receivers room. They can take a guy in the first three rounds to fill it out if needed based on what they do with Ridley and Zay. I do NOT believe this team needs to put more free agent money in the skill positions, that money should go to big strong mean men to play in the dirt. Let's roll with the same group we had this year but include a draft pick more physically gifted than Parker Washington. Washington showed already that he could be the 3 but likely the 4 or 5 and return man. If we go into Week 1 with Ridley, Kirk, draftee, Washington, Cooks, 3rd day/UDFA/PS guy I'm fine with it. Those guys will do the job if we fix the run game and pass pro. If the draftee is one of Franklin/Thomas/Coleman/Legette then we'll be set.

Lots of ways to skin that cat.

Regardless of how they end up doing so, I just hope the trenches are viewed as the bigger priority and they don't take any steps at receiver that would jeopardize their ability to fix the offensive line. 

Should be able to do both.

Trenches being better will allow all average skill players to look and act like above average skill players.

Our nucleus is Etienne, Kirk, Engram. You supplement that with other guys and it’s good as long as your offensive line is strong
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>