Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Titans to hire Brian Callahan for HC

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2024, 09:05 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

This is a bit of a shocking hire.

I guess they think he's the guy for Levis

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This is comical lol. " One of the best days in Titans history lol"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVYDWCjbOEM

(01-22-2024, 09:41 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: This is comical lol.  " One of the best days in Titans history lol"

If only my daddy were an NFL coach like Shanahan and Callahan, then I too could have a chance to be "the man." The NFL is a nobility system.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2024, 10:01 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

This Locked on Titans host says this is the best hire in franchise history lol. " Offensive guru and QB wisperer" lol No Vrabel, no Henry, Callahan for HC. I see a top 5-10 pick incoming.

Doom and gloom for the [BLEEP]

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2024, 12:53 AM by I am Yoda.)

(01-22-2024, 09:04 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: This is a bit of a shocking hire.

I guess they think he's the guy for Levis

I thought so too at first. But apparently, he was a second interview priority for a few teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(01-22-2024, 09:47 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(01-22-2024, 09:41 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: This is comical lol.  " One of the best days in Titans history lol"

If only my daddy were an NFL coach like Shanahan and Callahan, then I too could have a chance to be "the man." The NFL is a nobility system.

Except Shanahan is actually a better offensive coach than his dad was.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2024, 06:05 AM by p_rushing.)

Not sure why everyone thinks this will be a failure. He has seemed to coach QBs well and built a good offense with the Bengals. Sure he is unproven as a HC but it's not a bad hire unless you just think retreads are great.

Vrabel has a high floor but low ceiling. They needed a new system in order to succeed without Henry and Vrabel wasn't going to give them that.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2024, 06:45 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(01-23-2024, 06:02 AM)p_rushing Wrote: Not sure why everyone thinks this will be a failure. He has seemed to coach QBs well and built a good offense with the Bengals. Sure he is unproven as a HC but it's not a bad hire unless you just think retreads are great.

Vrabel has a high floor but low ceiling. They needed a new system in order to succeed without Henry and Vrabel wasn't going to give them that.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

What offense do you think he built in Cincy?  That's Zac Taylor's offense. What do you consider Vrabels floor and ceiling vs Callahans? They down graded the coaching position imo and it's good to see

(01-22-2024, 09:52 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: This Locked on Titans host says this is the best hire in franchise history lol. " Offensive guru and QB wisperer" lol  No Vrabel, no Henry, Callahan for HC.  I see a top 5-10 pick incoming.

along with them being odds-on favorite to sign Tee in FA?

Levis ain't Joey B, that's for sure.

He showed some glaring weaknesses as a rookie. But he’s not a scrub. He’s got the arm and moxie you want. But he needs to learn the mental part to f playing NFL quarterback. Let’s see if Callahan can teach him. I’m hoping not.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(01-23-2024, 12:43 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-22-2024, 09:52 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: This Locked on Titans host says this is the best hire in franchise history lol. " Offensive guru and QB wisperer" lol  No Vrabel, no Henry, Callahan for HC.  I see a top 5-10 pick incoming.

along with them being odds-on favorite to sign Tee in FA?

Tee is a good but not great player who's injury prone. He's a big-body but not a burner. They already have that man on the roster, the aging Deandre Hopkins. Tee would just be his replacement.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(01-23-2024, 06:32 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What offense do you think he built in Cincy?  That's Zac Taylor's offense.  What do you consider  Vrabels floor and ceiling vs Callahans?  They down graded the coaching position imo and it's good to see

We won't know for a year or 2 but Taylor has said it is a committee. The last 2 years the Bengals have struggled and Callahan actually took over the play calling duties and they were better. I don't know if he will be successful or not but it definitely isn't a downgrade unless you are fine being stuck in middle without a way to get better.

Vrabel is similar to Del Rio, middle of the road. With some special players, can get to the playoffs but won't be able to beat the best. He knows defense but he is old school and doesn't have the relationships with the younger offensive minded coaches.

(01-23-2024, 01:47 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(01-23-2024, 06:32 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What offense do you think he built in Cincy?  That's Zac Taylor's offense.  What do you consider  Vrabels floor and ceiling vs Callahans?  They down graded the coaching position imo and it's good to see

We won't know for a year or 2 but Taylor has said it is a committee. The last 2 years the Bengals have struggled and Callahan actually took over the play calling duties and they were better. I don't know if he will be successful or not but it definitely isn't a downgrade unless you are fine being stuck in middle without a way to get better.

Vrabel is similar to Del Rio, middle of the road. With some special players, can get to the playoffs but won't be able to beat the best. He knows defense but he is old school and doesn't have the relationships with the younger offensive minded coaches.

Most of the younger offensive minded coaches bloom from the Kyle Shanahan tree. Characteristics to look for -- their dads were also coaches or their brother worked with Shanahan (see Press Taylor). It wouldn't be hard for Vrabel to nab one.

(01-23-2024, 01:31 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(01-23-2024, 12:43 PM)Mikey Wrote: along with them being odds-on favorite to sign Tee in FA?

Tee is a good but not great player who's injury prone. He's a big-body but not a burner. They already have that man on the roster, the aging Deandre Hopkins. Tee would just be his replacement.

Hey if they want to overspend for multiples of the same WR, I am all for it. IIRC Burks also fits this mold, if he lasts the regime change.

(01-23-2024, 03:28 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(01-23-2024, 01:47 PM)p_rushing Wrote: We won't know for a year or 2 but Taylor has said it is a committee. The last 2 years the Bengals have struggled and Callahan actually took over the play calling duties and they were better. I don't know if he will be successful or not but it definitely isn't a downgrade unless you are fine being stuck in middle without a way to get better.

Most of the younger offensive minded coaches bloom from the Kyle Shanahan tree. Characteristics to look for -- their dads were also coaches or their brother worked with Shanahan (see Press Taylor). It wouldn't be hard for Vrabel to nab one.

He just refused to do so for some reason. The team was moving in one direction and sounds like he was either fighting it or just ignoring it. Some people just don't want to change.

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2024, 09:48 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 3 times in total.)

Link?

https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2024/1...ys-bengals

I think it's absolutely a down grade.  Vrabel is one of the better coaches in this league and I'd much rather Vrabel than a rookie Callahan that has never even called plays if I had to pick between the 2.   It would be a very easy decision lol. Tennessee had the worst oline in the league and Vabrel got more out of that team than most expected, hell they knocked us out of the playoffs.  He took them to the AFC Championship game a few years ago when nobody thought they would make it that far.  They gave Mike a bottom 5 roster, the worst oline, and no QB.    I would take Vrabel over Bill Callahan as well.  I think they regret firing Vrabel but I'm glad they did.

(01-23-2024, 09:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-23-2024, 01:47 PM)p_rushing Wrote: We won't know for a year or 2 but Taylor has said it is a committee. The last 2 years the Bengals have struggled and Callahan actually took over the play calling duties and they were better. I don't know if he will be successful or not but it definitely isn't a downgrade unless you are fine being stuck in middle without a way to get better.

I think it's absolutely a down grade.  Vrabel is one of the better coaches in this league and I'd much rather Vrabel than a rookie Callahan that has never even called plays if I had to pick between the 2.   It would be a very easy decision lol. Tennessee had the worst oline in the league and Vabrel got more out of that team than most expected, hell they knocked us out of the playoffs.  He took them to the AFC Championship game a few years ago when nobody thought they would make it that far.  They gave Mike a bottom 5 roster, the worst oline, and no QB.    I would take Vrabel over Bill Callahan as well.  I think they regret firing Vrabel but I'm glad they did.

I tend to lean the same way - but I also doubted Demeco Ryans last offseason, so... I'll play the wait and see game here.

(01-23-2024, 09:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Link?

https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2024/1...ys-bengals

I can't find what I read but it was saying that late in 2022 he was calling more plays because of the struggles of the offense and suggesting the same thing happened this year after the QB injuries. If you listen to Taylor, supposedly it is a group effort for calling the plays. It is probably what Pederson was doing in taking input from the booth but him still calling the plays.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk