Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Titans to hire Brian Callahan for HC

(01-23-2024, 09:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-23-2024, 01:47 PM)p_rushing Wrote: We won't know for a year or 2 but Taylor has said it is a committee. The last 2 years the Bengals have struggled and Callahan actually took over the play calling duties and they were better. I don't know if he will be successful or not but it definitely isn't a downgrade unless you are fine being stuck in middle without a way to get better.

Vrabel is similar to Del Rio, middle of the road. With some special players, can get to the playoffs but won't be able to beat the best. He knows defense but he is old school and doesn't have the relationships with the younger offensive minded coaches.

I think it's absolutely a down grade.  Vrabel is one of the better coaches in this league and I'd much rather Vrabel than a rookie Callahan that has never even called plays if I had to pick between the 2.   It would be a very easy decision lol. Tennessee had the worst oline in the league and Vabrel got more out of that team than most expected, hell they knocked us out of the playoffs.  He took them to the AFC Championship game a few years ago when nobody thought they would make it that far.  They gave Mike a bottom 5 roster, the worst oline, and no QB.    I would take Vrabel over Bill Callahan as well.  I think they regret firing Vrabel but I'm glad they did.
It's not about just this year though, it's the past also. He is a coach that will keep you around .500 and in the playoffs hunt most years. Yes the floor is high, just look at the Jags, but in those same 6 years, the Jags won the division 2 times also. He is a wash with the Jags at the end.

There is more risk with the coaching change but the ceiling is a lot higher. They are looking at potentially a top offensive mind. Vrabel never went out and tried to find someone like this for the offense. If he did that instead of just promoting from within after his 1st year, maybe he is still there with his defensive coaching ability.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-23-2024, 12:52 AM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(01-22-2024, 09:04 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: This is a bit of a shocking hire.

I guess they think he's the guy for Levis

I thought so too at first. But apparently, he was a second interview priority for a few teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(01-22-2024, 09:47 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: If only my daddy were an NFL coach like Shanahan and Callahan, then I too could have a chance to be "the man." The NFL is a nobility system.

Except Shanahan is actually a better offensive coach than his dad was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds like recency bias. His dad was tutored by the great Bill Walsh and pioneered the zone blocking scheme. He was creative and passed on that creativity to his son.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

They just snagged our passing game coordinator to be their offensive coordinator up there. That's pretty interesting. Two years in a row now we've lost a passing game coordinator to a divisional rival for essentially a promotion.

"BuT DoUg DoEsN't KnOw WhAt hE's DoInG!"
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-02-2024, 10:19 AM)Caldrac Wrote: They just snagged our passing game coordinator to be their offensive coordinator up there. That's pretty interesting. Two years in a row now we've lost a passing game coordinator to a divisional rival for essentially a promotion.

No loss. They took forever to figure out that Ridley needs to go in motion to be effective. He’s a little undersized to be the alpha at the line. I recall KC’s Sneed getting very handsy with Ridley and making him disappear. Jim Bob Cooter should’ve been promoted to offensive coordinator. He was more of a loss than Holz.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2024, 04:04 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

(02-02-2024, 10:19 AM)Caldrac Wrote: They just snagged our passing game coordinator to be their offensive coordinator up there. That's pretty interesting. Two years in a row now we've lost a passing game coordinator to a divisional rival for essentially a promotion.

"She wears underwear with [Nick Holz] in 'em." - Silky Johnson

They just got themselves a punchline, I'll give them that.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2024, 07:54 PM by Jag149.)

I think it a great hire. I wish him well except against us. I look forward to more kinder and gentler Titans team.

PS. when your enemy is screwing up, don't interrupt him.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(02-03-2024, 07:53 PM)Jag149 Wrote: I think it a great hire. I wish him well except against us. I look forward to more kinder and gentler Titans team.

PS.  when your enemy is screwing up, don't interrupt him.

PS is sigworthy, man.

(02-02-2024, 12:52 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:

No loss. They took forever to figure out that Ridley needs to go in motion to be effective. He’s a little undersized to be the alpha at the line. I recall KC’s Sneed getting very handsy with Ridley and making him disappear. Jim Bob Cooter should’ve been promoted to offensive coordinator. He was more of a loss than Holz.

To be fair - motioning your X wide receiver is probably near the top of the list for every coordinators compilation of "stuff I never want to do"

Most would much rather be moving backs, TEs, Z's, and Y's more than they want to motion their X. 

So it's natural that in the player's return to football year - that wasn't part of the initial plan. 

I also think that Ridleys season of 1000+ yards and 8 touchdowns after not playing since October 2021 was pretty solid given the OL and injured QB.  If the pass game coach gaffed anywhere - I think it was the way they mismanaged those route details on the perimeter between Lawrence and Ridley. 

Even when lined up in press man on the outside - Ridley was dealing with most of those corners pretty well. They should have been dialing up the back shoulder throws on many of those routes instead of trying to create 50/50s or waiting on Rid to outrun coverage. 

The few times they did that were glorious - but they rarely went back to it.