Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Baalke press conference set for 1/25

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2024, 07:35 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-03-2024, 01:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-02-2024, 05:25 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: The threat of the tag is not the same as being on the tag.  Of course Allen and his camp want to negotiate now.  It's a better position to negotiate from (albeit slightly) and one from which they can paint the FO as the bad guys pretty easily in the media when the inevitable tag comes.  We have a fan base willing to lap up negative narratives about the FO with mere insinuation of ineptitude or wrong doing.  If I were in Allen's camp, I might consider playing that card if need be especially if I was going to ask for Bosa money or something near there.  The more time that goes by between now and the deadline for a long term deal, the better the Jags FO position gets.  Both parties know this.

Fans getting emotionally involved about someone else's financial negotiation is funny to me though.  The whole point of negotiation is to attempt to find the lowest price someone is willing to accept for a good or service.  Except when it comes to athletes apparently.  Some fans expect the front office to just pay a guy whatever he wants so he doesn't get mad.  I don't fault players for using whatever leverage they have and I don't fault FO's for trying to get the player to sign for as little as they can.  Get emotionally involved if Allen sits out games, otherwise let the process play out.  You don't have all the information like you think you do.  But Baalke bad, so everything must be viewed through a negative lens I guess.

The talking heads are saying the exact opposite of this. 
The word is that Allen's camp could try to push for even more money based on the contracts that occur for Brian Burns and Danielle Hunter. 

I have seen that strategy used in the past. Of course Hunter's camp may be looking for Allen's deal to reset the market, LOL. 

And, as a fanbase, let's not pretend like Baalke doesn't already know this agent and vice versa. They likely both have a pretty clear image of how these talks are going to go down.

The talking heads can say whatever they want, but the truth of the matter is if Allen plays on the tag, he's shouldering all of the injury risk next season and facing the likelihood of being on the tag again the following season.  Injury is the biggest risk to him never seeing his true payday and if I were him I wouldn't forgo ~$75M guaranteed or whatever it's going to be for $22M this year and all the injury risk is on me.  Neither party should want that.  If things get contentious and he decides to allow himself to be tagged in back to back years rather than sign, he'll finally be free in his age 29 season. Not that he wouldn't get a nice multi-year deal at that point, but I'd view that being much closer to the end of his prime years than the beginning and front offices might as well depending on how successful a season he has in 2025. That's a lot of risk to shoulder on his part when ~$75M or more guaranteed is staring you in the face.

Messages In This Thread
Baalke press conference set for 1/25 - by Caldrac - 01-26-2024, 12:53 PM
Baalke press conference set for 1/25 - by Caldrac - 01-27-2024, 04:48 PM
Baalke press conference set for 1/25 - by Caldrac - 01-28-2024, 07:33 AM
Baalke press conference set for 1/25 - by Caldrac - 01-29-2024, 07:27 PM
Baalke press conference set for 1/25 - by Caldrac - 02-01-2024, 11:15 PM
RE: Baalke press conference set for 1/25 - by Jaguarmeister - 02-03-2024, 07:20 PM
Baalke press conference set for 1/25 - by Caldrac - 02-22-2024, 05:36 PM
Baalke press conference set for 1/25 - by Caldrac - 02-28-2024, 12:29 PM
Baalke press conference set for 1/25 - by Caldrac - 04-04-2024, 02:05 PM
Baalke press conference set for 1/25 - by Caldrac - 04-14-2024, 09:37 PM