Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NSA purchases Americans' internet browsing data without warrants

What can I say....... It's Groundhog day....... and we are all Phil....... Only we're stuck in Orwell's 1984..........

NSA purchases Americans' internet browsing data without warrants, senator's documents show

Sen. Ron Wyden released documents showing the NSA buys Americans' data, including information about the websites they visit and the apps they use, without a warrant

The National Security Agency has been accused of buying Americans' internet browsing information from commercial data brokers without warrants, according to documents released by Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore.

In a letter to Wyden, NSA director Paul Nakasone provided newly unclassified documents revealing that the agency buys Americans' data, including information about the websites they visit and the apps they use. The letter, dated Dec. 11, was made public on Thursday.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/nsa-pur...-documents
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm not sure that it's illegal for the government to purchase publicly-available information. I understand the potential risks, but I don't think a warrant is required to buy something that's legally available for sale.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-29-2024, 09:20 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I'm not sure that it's illegal for the government to purchase publicly-available information. I understand the potential risks, but I don't think a warrant is required to buy something that's legally available for sale.

Laws gotta keep up with technology.

(01-29-2024, 10:47 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(01-29-2024, 09:20 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I'm not sure that it's illegal for the government to purchase publicly-available information. I understand the potential risks, but I don't think a warrant is required to buy something that's legally available for sale.

Laws gotta keep up with technology.

Yeah, good luck with that.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2024, 10:30 PM by americus 2.0.)

They'd be pretty bored with my internet activity. Football season is (almost) over and road cycling season just started so I'll be watching all the races leading to the three grand tours.

Then there's my DIY obsession, supporting folks who rescue and rehome cats, CrossFit season, the Olympics which will take us into the football preseason.

Yeah, I'm busy. Bother someone else. Stupid alphabet agencies.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

They probably use this as an excuse to why they have the data to begin with. Yes we buy the data, we aren't collecting it already ourselves.

Unless you don't sign into anything (Google or Apple), then they already know everything. You are going to have to use an old phone or give up on security. Even the new "secure" phones are questionable.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk