Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Personal Price Limitations on Sporting, Concert, or other events

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2024, 12:14 PM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 2 times in total.)

As my Jags tickets went up from $93 to $150 each per game over the past 4 years and as I see concert tickets going way up in price, I'm just curious if each of you draw the line when it comes to paying for such activities.  I know every event needs to be weighed independent of each other but what are your personal limitations and what is the highest priced ticket/event that you'd be willing to pay for (not including any Jaguars Super Bowl or AFC Championship game appearances).

* Jaguars -- my tix as noted above are $150 each (next to club section).  As long as they keep challenging for the playoffs, unlike the decade of disgrace (2010-2020) I can see paying more but would consider offsetting some costs to lessen the hit (e.g., sell certain games and buy cheaper tix on the resale market).

* Concerts -- I'm pretty much done with paying over $125 for a single concert event.  With that advent of big TVs and YouTube, I can watch concerts at home.  I now prefer selecting a day out of a festival and getting the best bang for the buck by getting 6 different acts from 12 noon through midnight.  This is especially true when it comes to jam bands & bluegrass style music festivals.   Although stadium tours used to be my go-to in the 80s and 90s, I'm not into the reunion or tour finales like Springsteen, Elton John, etc.   They kind of sound really old at this point -- lol.

Other ---- Perhaps I'll splurge on the 2026 World Cup games to take in a USA or a Mexico match.  Gotta see how life progresses as I near retirement (hopfeully)...

Thoughts??

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-06-2024, 12:13 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: As my Jags tickets went up from $93 to $150 each per game over the past 4 years and as I see concert tickets going way up in price, I'm just curious if each of you draw the line when it comes to paying for such activities.  I know every event needs to be weighed independent of each other but what are your personal limitations and what is the highest priced ticket/event that you'd be willing to pay for (not including any Jaguars Super Bowl or AFC Championship game appearances).

* Jaguars -- my tix as noted above are $150 each (next to club section).  As long as they keep challenging for the playoffs, unlike the decade of disgrace (2010-2020) I can see paying more but would consider offsetting some costs to lessen the hit (e.g., sell certain games and buy cheaper tix on the resale market).

* Concerts -- I'm pretty much done with paying over $125 for a single concert event.  With that advent of big TVs and YouTube, I can watch concerts at home.  I now prefer selecting a day out of a festival and getting the best bang for the buck by getting 6 different acts from 12 noon through midnight.  This is especially true when it comes to jam bands & bluegrass style music festivals.   Although stadium tours used to be my go-to in the 80s and 90s, I'm not into the reunion or tour finales like Springsteen, Elton John, etc.   They kind of sound really old at this point -- lol.

Other ---- Perhaps I'll splurge on the 2026 World Cup games to take in a USA or a Mexico match.  Gotta see how life progresses as I near retirement (hopfeully)...

Thoughts??

I wonder what the price of Jags tickets will be in the new stadium?

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2024, 03:30 PM by americus 2.0. Edited 1 time in total.)

If I still lived down there I'd pay for Jags tickets as long as the team is competitive and my other life expenses don't go full [BLEEP]. As it is, the expenses of life are not quite full [BLEEP] but are getting close. My husband's CPAP supplies alone have increased $10 in the last year. Our internet jumped $30/month since November 2022.

I've never been to a concert so I have no opinion on that one.

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2024, 03:39 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

Depends on the act or the card really for me. Also, conveniency. If I have to drive 8+ hours out of my way, plus find a place to stay, eat, etc. Probably not up for it unless it's a rare band or act that I know I won't see ever again.

Anything over $500 per head is something I think about now. My wife dropped $400 and some change for me and her to see Billy Strings in St. Augustine, at least that's less than an hour away and it's for three days in April. Which seems like a good deal.

Am I superfan of his? No. Do I like his music? Sure. He's not a bad act at all. So, that made sense. Last year, we did Rockville in Daytona, all three or four days, we stayed in a hotel about 20 minutes away from Daytona Speedway, alcohol is what it is, the food is what it is, we lived off Taco Bell all three nights because it was right down the street from the hotel.

No big deal. That entire package came out to roughly $1900 between the two tickets, the room, the food, the gas and the alcohol. That was worth it to me because it was three or four days of acts that I had been wanting to see forever. The room was nice. The area was nice. Being able to sleep in peace, shower in peace and [BLEEP] comfortably within an upscale bathroom in a hotel room in peace plus get our freak on without having to contest with a camping site, camping location and a crowd was absolutely worth it.

I wouldn't mind camping out for music festivals if it was Suwanee over here out west towards the panhandle. We've done that multiple times for Tipper and Friends and The String Cheese Incident festivals, etc. Those are all well under $600 for plenty of acts, days, nights, etc.

But, yeah, roughly $500 per head is what I keep an eye out for pricing wise. Unless the act is crazy good, the line up is crazy good and the location is within reasonable reach of Jacksonville. [BLEEP] flying. [BLEEP] road trips, etc. LOL.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I cancelled my season tickets years ago.  It wasn't so much the price, it was the fact that my job at the time had me out of town during many of the home games.  Add to that the fact that with the team not performing well it was almost impossible to sell them (along with a parking pass) and nearly impossible to give them away.  Combine the price for tickets then (which really wasn't too bad) the cost of concessions for a game.

As far as concerts I would never pay over $100 for a ticket no matter who it is performing.  Seeing a singer/band live is just not worth that much to me.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(02-06-2024, 03:56 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I cancelled my season tickets years ago.  It wasn't so much the price, it was the fact that my job at the time had me out of town during many of the home games.  Add to that the fact that with the team not performing well it was almost impossible to sell them (along with a parking pass) and nearly impossible to give them away.  Combine the price for tickets then (which really wasn't too bad) the cost of concessions for a game.

As far as concerts I would never pay over $100 for a ticket no matter who it is performing.  Seeing a singer/band live is just not worth that much to me.

To me, it's more that the experience of going to the games has become degraded by the ear-splitting music that prevents any conversation with anyone else.  They price the tickets at a point that puts me on the fence about going to the games, but they seal the deal with that deafening noise that comes from the loudspeakers.  Do people really enjoy going to a game and getting their eardrums blasted like that?  I'd go to all the games if they'd shut off the music.  

"I think they made the first down."
"What?"
"I think they made the first down."
"What?"
"I THINK... THEY MADE... THE FIRST DOWN."
"WHAT?"  

(02-06-2024, 12:13 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: As my Jags tickets went up from $93 to $150 each per game over the past 4 years and as I see concert tickets going way up in price, I'm just curious if each of you draw the line when it comes to paying for such activities.  I know every event needs to be weighed independent of each other but what are your personal limitations and what is the highest priced ticket/event that you'd be willing to pay for (not including any Jaguars Super Bowl or AFC Championship game appearances).

Thoughts??

Not having a lot of money makes these decisions simple.

(02-06-2024, 03:30 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: If I still lived down there I'd pay for Jags tickets as long as the team is competitive and my other life expenses don't go full [BLEEP]. As it is, the expenses of life are not quite full [BLEEP] but are getting close. My husband's CPAP supplies alone have increased $10 in the last year. Our internet jumped $30/month since November 2022.

I've never been to a concert so I have no opinion on that one.

The mind bortles.

I grew up on bar bands and small venues, in the 90s you could see a few bands (headliner, lesser known band and local opener, usually) for like $15. Now it's 73 bands on 6 stages over 3 days and you've heard of maybe 10 of the acts, and three of them are basically cover bands because most of the founding members are dead or quit, and you're paying out the nose for the full event. No thanks.

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2024, 05:22 PM by anonymous2112. Edited 1 time in total.)

For internationally recognized recording acts, I would (and have) spent $500/ticket. I saw Genesis on their last tour at $200 per, and the girlfriend dropped $500 per for Elton John's farewell tour. I have no regrets about either.

Last year I saw Cheryl Crow and JJ Grey & Mofro at a weekend festival near Banner Elk, NC. Tickets were $60 to $80 bucks for each and the Airbnb was $200/night. Cheryl was on Friday night, JJ on Saturday night. Aside from a thunderstorm delay, it was an awesome event.

I was trying to figure out the name of a Molly Hatchet song the other day, wound up on their wiki page, and discovered that the entire band is dead. The ENTIRE band. So now with Toby Keith dying (yeah, I'd have paid to see him) it's got me thinking that I better see the bands I like before they're all gone.

As for the Jags, still waiting for my chance on a game. $150/ticket is doable, and I'll probably get my first chance in 2024. Looking forward to it.

And I'll pay admission and parking for just about any air show. They're cheap, but I'd still do up to $100 bucks for the entire event. Hopefully I won't have to.

It depends on the act. I spent nearly $700/ticket to see Paul McCartney in Jax a few years ago. Good seats and worth it IMO. I spent nearly that much to see the Stones at the stadium, I got tickets to see the Superbowl in Jax when it was here. I think they were 500/ticket IIRC correctly but when I was offered 4K each for them, I had to give them up, lol.

Paying more than $500 for anything else, doubtful but it would depend. For instance, if I had the chance to see the Jags in the Superbowl, I’d probably do everything I could to get there.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Kind of off topic but not. I watched a video on NFL Throwback on youtube that talked about the changes made over the decades to make game watching on TV better. The first down line, games in HD, going from 4:3 to 16.9 aspect ratio, the pylon cameras, etc.

It costs a lot of money for teams to put on a game. They didn't go into that but all of the people it takes to put a game on television is crazy and those people have to get paid. It did put things in perspective a bit as to the cost of going to a game because you're not just paying for your gameday experience.

(02-08-2024, 09:42 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Kind of off topic but not. I watched a video on NFL Throwback on youtube that talked about the changes made over the decades to make game watching on TV better. The first down line, games in HD, going from 4:3 to 16.9 aspect ratio, the pylon cameras, etc.

It costs a lot of money for teams to put on a game. They didn't go into that but all of the people it takes to put a game on television is crazy and those people have to get paid. It did put things in perspective a bit as to the cost of going to a game because you're not just paying for your gameday experience.

The NFL is a business, and the amount they charge for tickets has nothing to do with the cost of anything.  As a business, they charge as much as they can.  They don't set the price based on the cost.  They set the price based on what you are willing to pay.  Then, like any business, they tell you how much it cost them to produce that thing they sold you, to justify the price they charge.

(02-08-2024, 09:42 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Kind of off topic but not. I watched a video on NFL Throwback on youtube that talked about the changes made over the decades to make game watching on TV better. The first down line, games in HD, going from 4:3 to 16.9 aspect ratio, the pylon cameras, etc.

...so if they get rid of replay, first down estimators, and the like they can make my tickets cheaper?

FRICKING SOLD

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2024, 10:05 AM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 2 times in total.)

Yeah I’m in section 105 and my season ticket price went up 30% last year alone. We went to all of them, but I can see doing what you mention about selling certain games in the future. We love our seats and will probably never give them up, but my attendance at games may not be 100% moving forward especially with the new stadium and whatever prices will be at that point.

Part of it may be my age as well as I’m 46. Gameday is a day long event and takes it out of you more so now than in my 20’s and 30’s. We like to get out there to tailgate at 9 or 9:30 for 1 pm kickoff games.

Also, when I was younger I would travel out of town to see bands I liked. Not so much anymore. Now even when they’re in town, it’s gotta be someone from my younger years that I absolutely still love to see when they come to town. Case in point, Lamb of god and Mastodon are coming this summer to Daily’s (I don’t like this venue), I was looking at tickets just the other day but I’ve seen these guys a bunch and nothing really compelled me to pull the trigger to get my eardrums blasted out so I’m probably not going. Also Bush and Jerry Cantrell of Alice In Chains are coming to Daily’s later in the summer. I don’t really care for Bush who is headlining, but I wouldn’t miss a Cantrell or an AiC show so I’m going specifically to see him. Not even sure if I’ll stay for Bush, but probably will. The jokes write themselves on those last couple of sentences. The one dude I’ve never seen and might consider travelling for would be Dax Riggs who is relatively obscure and doesn’t tour much anymore from what I gather. Outside of that I like to keep the coin in my pocket.

I really enjoy seeing shows at the Amp in St. Aug and at the Florida theater though. Daily’s is usually a pass from me.

I get to see lots of concerts for free because of my jobs in the music world, but I don't mind spending up to $200 each a few times per year for a good concert. Probably would never spend more than that. Maybe...

I'm dropping my season tickets after 6 years in these seats and going with 3 or 4 single game purchases due to my extensive travel in 2024. I'll be gone half of the reg. season. The price has gone up every year - started at ~100 and are at $168 per now.

Bt the way - Ticketmaster is an insanely greedy and unethical example of a modern defacto monopoly.  They have a stranglehold on the industry and are not being properly regulated. Their fees are disgusting.

The ironic thing about the changes noted above is the fact that the person buying the high priced tickets and attends the games does NOT benefit from any of that.  They absolutely enhanced the experience for the TV viewer, who pays indirectly via their cable subscriptions which is a big revenue driver for the NFL.

Family of six so price is always a factor. We had tickets this year after I got some bonuses and paid cash for the season. Not sure if this year we will or won't have tickets to early to tell. Absolutely $100 a seat is the absolute max I could see paying we had cheaper seats this year and still enjoyed it. I just wish for shade the first two home games where miserable in the upper decks.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

If they raise the price of caviar in my personal viewing suite again, I shall firmly stomp my foot in protest.

(02-10-2024, 01:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: If they raise the price of caviar in my personal viewing suite again, I shall firmly stomp my foot in protest.

Caviar?  I figured you more for the strawberry jelly type (for the ladies, of course).  How much do they charge per minute nowadays for a, ahem, "personal viewing suite"?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Depends on the event, the location, time of year and day of the week, and just how bad I wanted to attend.......
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!