Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Mock Draft Guy - 2024 - Jaguars

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2024, 05:15 PM by Caldrac.)

https://youtu.be/16AU13aio4g?si=rsFxJ_AyFnrM9Zuo

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Just stumbled across this guy's work on Twitter/X. This is a fairly reasonable and realistic take in my opinion. He clearly did his homework. He knows what we're probably looking at from Baalke's perspective and clearly targeted the teams needs currently as it stands prior to free agency.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

We wont get that pick number 79, that goes to the Falcons. Overall though a really good draft, i like it a lot.

Really nice draft there
Loved the pick choices and he Cleary explained why he did each pick and how it addresses each need

Very informed guy who clearly knows the needs for the Jaguars. Overall, I really like this draft class, but I'd likely go in a different direction in round 1. Mitchell could ultimately become the top cornerback from this class, but his lack of stellar competition at Toledo could lead to a challenging rookie season. His Senior Bowl week was great, but I still expect a big learning curve. If Terrion Arnold is still on the board at 17, he would undoubtably be my first choice at corner and most likely be the pick. He is the most well-rounded corner who is very good at press coverage- a trait that Ryan Nielson would love in his cornerbacks. If Arnold was not there, I'd likely take Newton to provide the much needed pass rush from the inside. Even if Hamilton returns at full-strength, having Newton would greatly help the defense. Since the Jaguars lack a true nose tackle, they would also want to find one in free agency or the draft to play alongside Newton.

The remainder of his draft is very strong- especially the selections of Frazier and Fiske. If Newton is the 1st round pick, Fiske would not be as needed. However, he should be a very solid pro. Based on what he said about Frazier, I'd be hard-pressed to find a better 2nd round pick. The value of Frazier in round 2 is likely going to be better than JPJ in round 1. If the 1st 2 rounds were Arnold and Frazier, I'd be elated.

I don't agree with his feelings about losing both Ridley and Zay Jones. I expect at least one of these receivers to return- especially with the significant increase in salary cap announced today. Regardless, I would still draft a receiver on day 2 or at the start of round 4. McMillan was a solid pick as would have been Ricky Pearsall.

I plan on following the Mock Draft Guy to get more insight regarding the Jaguars as well as other NFL teams.

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2024, 11:24 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-24-2024, 12:05 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: Very informed guy who clearly knows the needs for the Jaguars. Overall, I really like this draft class, but I'd likely go in a different direction in round 1. Mitchell could ultimately become the top cornerback from this class, but his lack of stellar competition at Toledo could lead to a challenging rookie season. His Senior Bowl week was great, but I still expect a big learning curve. If Terrion Arnold is still on the board at 17, he would undoubtably be my first choice at corner and most likely be the pick. He is the most well-rounded corner who is very good at press coverage- a trait that Ryan Nielson would love in his cornerbacks. If Arnold was not there, I'd likely take Newton to provide the much needed pass rush from the inside. Even if Hamilton returns at full-strength, having Newton would greatly help the defense. Since the Jaguars lack a true nose tackle, they would also want to find one in free agency or the draft to play alongside Newton.

The remainder of his draft is very strong- especially the selections of Frazier and Fiske. If Newton is the 1st round pick, Fiske would not be as needed. However, he should be a very solid pro. Based on what he said about Frazier, I'd be hard-pressed to find a better 2nd round pick. The value of Frazier in round 2 is likely going to be better than JPJ in round 1. If the 1st 2 rounds were Arnold and Frazier, I'd be elated.

I don't agree with his feelings about losing both Ridley and Zay Jones. I expect at least one of these receivers to return- especially with the significant increase in salary cap announced today. Regardless, I would still draft a receiver on day 2 or at the start of round 4. McMillan was a solid pick as would have been Ricky Pearsall.

I plan on following the Mock Draft Guy to get more insight regarding the Jaguars as well as other NFL teams.

You like Arnold better than McKinstry?  Other than Humphrey what good corners have come out of Alabama?   I wish Mitchell played against better competition as well but he donminated everyone he went up against.  Teams didnt really throw at him and when they did it wasnt good for them.  Cant wait to see how all these players test and see how these corners move in the drills

Maybe the most domiant game by corner ever

4 Int and 2 pick 6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Dc3JyW-uE&t=1s

(02-24-2024, 11:09 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-24-2024, 12:05 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: Very informed guy who clearly knows the needs for the Jaguars. Overall, I really like this draft class, but I'd likely go in a different direction in round 1. Mitchell could ultimately become the top cornerback from this class, but his lack of stellar competition at Toledo could lead to a challenging rookie season. His Senior Bowl week was great, but I still expect a big learning curve. If Terrion Arnold is still on the board at 17, he would undoubtably be my first choice at corner and most likely be the pick. He is the most well-rounded corner who is very good at press coverage- a trait that Ryan Nielson would love in his cornerbacks. If Arnold was not there, I'd likely take Newton to provide the much needed pass rush from the inside. Even if Hamilton returns at full-strength, having Newton would greatly help the defense. Since the Jaguars lack a true nose tackle, they would also want to find one in free agency or the draft to play alongside Newton.

You like Arnold better than McKinstry?  Other than Humphrey what good corners have come out of Alabama?   I wish Mitchell played against better competition as well but he donminated everyone he went up against.  Teams didnt really throw at him and when they did it wasnt good for them.  Cant wait to see how all these players test and see how these corners move in the drills

4 Int and 2 pick 6s

That was a great game by Mitchell, for sure. I believe he will eventually become a very good cornerback, possibly even top 10. My only problem with him, as I said, was level of competition. N. Illinois was a 1-4 team in a weak conference when Mitchell went up against them. Going up against the Justin Jefferson's and Cee Dee Lamb's in the NFL would be an incredibly big difference. I wouldn't mind if he was the pick, but Arnold is the most complete cornerback in this draft. It's not his fault that few great cornerbacks have come out of Alabama, although Patrick Surtain and Marlon Humphries have done very well in the NFL. 

I would rate Arnold number 1 on my cornerback list followed by Mitchell and Wiggins who'd be tied for 2nd. Wiggins is extremely fast and may have the most overall talent as a pure cornerback. His interviews will be critical, in my opinion. He is known to be a constant trash talker, which is not necessarily a bad thing for a cornerback. If his character checks out fine, he'd be a solid pick. I just prefer Arnold at this time. He is still very young (20) and has room to keep improving. His football intelligence is considered very high in addition to leadership traits. He is much superior to Wiggins in tackling. "Kool-Aid" McKinstry is a good prospect, but I see him more as a 2nd rounder. Again, just my opinion.

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2024, 09:36 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 3 times in total.)

(02-24-2024, 01:56 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(02-24-2024, 11:09 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You like Arnold better than McKinstry?  Other than Humphrey what good corners have come out of Alabama?   I wish Mitchell played against better competition as well but he donminated everyone he went up against.  Teams didnt really throw at him and when they did it wasnt good for them.  Cant wait to see how all these players test and see how these corners move in the drills

4 Int and 2 pick 6s

That was a great game by Mitchell, for sure. I believe he will eventually become a very good cornerback, possibly even top 10. My only problem with him, as I said, was level of competition. N. Illinois was a 1-4 team in a weak conference when Mitchell went up against them. Going up against the Justin Jefferson's and Cee Dee Lamb's in the NFL would be an incredibly big difference. I wouldn't mind if he was the pick, but Arnold is the most complete cornerback in this draft. It's not his fault that few great cornerbacks have come out of Alabama, although Patrick Surtain and Marlon Humphries have done very well in the NFL. 

I would rate Arnold number 1 on my cornerback list followed by Mitchell and Wiggins who'd be tied for 2nd. Wiggins is extremely fast and may have the most overall talent as a pure cornerback. His interviews will be critical, in my opinion. He is known to be a constant trash talker, which is not necessarily a bad thing for a cornerback. If his character checks out fine, he'd be a solid pick. I just prefer Arnold at this time. He is still very young (20) and has room to keep improving. His football intelligence is considered very high in addition to leadership traits. He is much superior to Wiggins in tackling. "Kool-Aid" McKinstry is a good prospect, but I see him more as a 2nd rounder. Again, just my opinion.

Thats right, Surtain is the other one.  You are sleeping on DeJean, he is great in man and zone on top of being a great returner.  I think you could move DeJean around to if you wanted and get creative with him if a DC dedided to do so as well.  Arnold improved a good bit this year but teams also went at him a lot with McKinstry on the other side.  I think we will run more man with Niesen and Arnold was the worst out of all the top corners in man with the luxury of having McKinstry on the other side of him. Its sucks DeJean wont be able to test at the combine but hopefully he will be ready at the Pro day. I have Mitchell and DeJean as my top 2.

(2) Daniel Griffis on X: "#NFL Draft: CBs NFL Rating in Man Coverage 4.2- Jarrian Jones, FSU 23.8- Kris Abrams-Draine 38.2- Khyree Jackson 39.6- Quinyon Mitchell 39.6- Cooper DeJean 39.6- Kamari Lassiter 49.2- Kool-Aid McKinstry 68.5- Nate Wiggins 84.6- Terrion Arnold" / X (twitter.com)

If we draft a corner at 17 I want a guy when on 3rd and short we can man up on the outside and send the house like the great coordinators do and rely on our corners to cover their guy for a couple seconds

(02-25-2024, 09:30 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-24-2024, 01:56 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: That was a great game by Mitchell, for sure. I believe he will eventually become a very good cornerback, possibly even top 10. My only problem with him, as I said, was level of competition. N. Illinois was a 1-4 team in a weak conference when Mitchell went up against them. Going up against the Justin Jefferson's and Cee Dee Lamb's in the NFL would be an incredibly big difference. I wouldn't mind if he was the pick, but Arnold is the most complete cornerback in this draft. It's not his fault that few great cornerbacks have come out of Alabama, although Patrick Surtain and Marlon Humphries have done very well in the NFL. 

Thats right, Surtain is the other one.  You are sleeping on DeJean, he is great in man and zone on top of being a great returner.  I think you could move DeJean around to if you wanted and get creative with him if a DC dedided to do so as well.  Arnold improved a good bit this year but teams also went at him a lot with McKinstry on the other side.  I think we will run more man with Niesen and Arnold was the worst out of all the top corners in man with the luxury of having McKinstry on the other side of him.  Its sucks DeJean wont be able to test at the combine but hopefully he will be ready at the Pro day.  I have Mitchell and DeJean as my top 2.

(2) Daniel Griffis on X: "#NFL Draft: CBs NFL Rating in Man Coverage 4.2- Jarrian Jones, FSU 23.8- Kris Abrams-Draine 38.2- Khyree Jackson 39.6- Quinyon Mitchell 39.6- Cooper DeJean 39.6- Kamari Lassiter 49.2- Kool-Aid McKinstry 68.5- Nate Wiggins 84.6- Terrion Arnold" / X (twitter.com)

DeJean is  definitely very versatile and some have him projected as a safety. The cornerback rankings are all over the place with Arnold, Mitchell, DeJean and Mitchell all having some support as being the best. It is too bad DeJean won't be working out in Indy this week, as you said. The depth of this cornerback class is a definite strength and for that reason I might prefer the Jaguars wait until round 2 or even 3 to take one. T,J. Tampa, Rakestraw and Khyree Jackson are all very good prospects who could be on the board in round 2 and their strengths in man coverage would seem to be a fit for Ryan Nielsen. Currently, I'm leaning towards taking Johnny Newton since the chances of getting a difference-making defensive tackle who can penetrate are much smaller after round 1. Mitchell from Texas is another possibility, but 17 is a little high for him (maybe trade back). I've gone back and forth on JPJ as the pick at 17. Today on NFL Radio on Sirius they interviewed Dane Brugler and he used the word "prodigy" when describing JPJ. If he isn't taken by Seattle at 16, JPJ would be a very safe pick who will likely play in many pro-bowls. Getting JPJ and T.J. Tampa or Rakestraw in round 2 would be very solid, in my opinion. Free agency will naturally have a lot to say about how they approach the draft.

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2024, 08:14 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(02-26-2024, 02:22 AM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(02-25-2024, 09:30 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Thats right, Surtain is the other one.  You are sleeping on DeJean, he is great in man and zone on top of being a great returner.  I think you could move DeJean around to if you wanted and get creative with him if a DC dedided to do so as well.  Arnold improved a good bit this year but teams also went at him a lot with McKinstry on the other side.  I think we will run more man with Niesen and Arnold was the worst out of all the top corners in man with the luxury of having McKinstry on the other side of him.  Its sucks DeJean wont be able to test at the combine but hopefully he will be ready at the Pro day.  I have Mitchell and DeJean as my top 2.

DeJean is  definitely very versatile and some have him projected as a safety. The cornerback rankings are all over the place with Arnold, Mitchell, DeJean and Mitchell all having some support as being the best. It is too bad DeJean won't be working out in Indy this week, as you said. The depth of this cornerback class is a definite strength and for that reason I might prefer the Jaguars wait until round 2 or even 3 to take one. T,J. Tampa, Rakestraw and Khyree Jackson are all very good prospects who could be on the board in round 2 and their strengths in man coverage would seem to be a fit for Ryan Nielsen. Currently, I'm leaning towards taking Johnny Newton since the chances of getting a difference-making defensive tackle who can penetrate are much smaller after round 1. Mitchell from Texas is another possibility, but 17 is a little high for him (maybe trade back). I've gone back and forth on JPJ as the pick at 17. Today on NFL Radio on Sirius they interviewed Dane Brugler and he used the word "prodigy" when describing JPJ. If he isn't taken by Seattle at 16, JPJ would be a very safe pick who will likely play in many pro-bowls. Getting JPJ and T.J. Tampa or Rakestraw in round 2 would be very solid, in my opinion. Free agency will naturally have a lot to say about how they approach the draft.

I'd love JPJ in the first, I've been high on him for a while and I think he will end up one of the best centers in the league.    If we don't get a center in FA there will be a lot of speculation on if we stick with Fortner at center or draft a center in the first couple rounds.  I still don't think it's a guarantee we bring in another starter center even though Fortner is the 33rd ranked center and only 32 teams.  Hopefully Doug's and Baalkes comments on Fortner is just smoke but I wouldn't bet the house on it

(02-26-2024, 08:12 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-26-2024, 02:22 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: DeJean is  definitely very versatile and some have him projected as a safety. The cornerback rankings are all over the place with Arnold, Mitchell, DeJean and Mitchell all having some support as being the best. It is too bad DeJean won't be working out in Indy this week, as you said. The depth of this cornerback class is a definite strength and for that reason I might prefer the Jaguars wait until round 2 or even 3 to take one. T,J. Tampa, Rakestraw and Khyree Jackson are all very good prospects who could be on the board in round 2 and their strengths in man coverage would seem to be a fit for Ryan Nielsen. Currently, I'm leaning towards taking Johnny Newton since the chances of getting a difference-making defensive tackle who can penetrate are much smaller after round 1. Mitchell from Texas is another possibility, but 17 is a little high for him (maybe trade back). I've gone back and forth on JPJ as the pick at 17. Today on NFL Radio on Sirius they interviewed Dane Brugler and he used the word "prodigy" when describing JPJ. If he isn't taken by Seattle at 16, JPJ would be a very safe pick who will likely play in many pro-bowls. Getting JPJ and T.J. Tampa or Rakestraw in round 2 would be very solid, in my opinion. Free agency will naturally have a lot to say about how they approach the draft.

I'd love JPJ in the first, I've been high on him for a while and I think he will end up one of the best centers in the league.    If we don't get a center in FA there will be a lot of speculation on if we stick with Fortner at center or draft a center in the first couple rounds.  I still don't think it's a guarantee we bring in another starter center even though Fortner is the 33rd ranked center and only 32 teams.  Hopefully Doug's and Baalkes comments on Fortner is just smoke but I wouldn't bet the house on it. 

If Baalke ignores addressing the Center position in a significant manner, my hope for this team will significantly be reduced. There is no justification in continuing to count on Fortner; both the tape and numbers don't lie. Is it possible that he he gets much stronger and becomes at least an average Center? I'd say that stranger things have happened, but not addressing this position during the off-season would be malpractice. If Fortner does improve, the team would then have the nice problem of having quality depth on the interior line.

(02-26-2024, 10:45 AM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(02-26-2024, 08:12 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'd love JPJ in the first, I've been high on him for a while and I think he will end up one of the best centers in the league.    If we don't get a center in FA there will be a lot of speculation on if we stick with Fortner at center or draft a center in the first couple rounds.  I still don't think it's a guarantee we bring in another starter center even though Fortner is the 33rd ranked center and only 32 teams.  Hopefully Doug's and Baalkes comments on Fortner is just smoke but I wouldn't bet the house on it. 

If Baalke ignores addressing the Center position in a significant manner, my hope for this team will significantly be reduced. There is no justification in continuing to count on Fortner; both the tape and numbers don't lie. Is it possible that he he gets much stronger and becomes at least an average Center? I'd say that stranger things have happened, but not addressing this position during the off-season would be malpractice. If Fortner does improve, the team would then have the nice problem of having quality depth on the interior line.

There's a mixed feeling here locally on that as well. With Fortner and the position. Most of us see it and want him out of the starting line up, most fear as Baalke and Pederson's comments continue to suggest, is that, they just really like the kid. 

He has 37 starts now. He's been able to hold up physically with his durability, which, if I am being fair? I can see why he's held up. He's probably in a weird window where he's physically not giving it his all to get in the mix and risk injury or he's lost most of the time on his assignments so minimal contact is needed to work him to begin with. 

But, yeah, I am with you. I think it's easily the most identifiable and certifiably the weakest position on the 53 man roster and if it's not addressed there's something severely wrong with the front office and coaching staff. I still prefer a proven free agent now over a rookie. Especially if that rookie means a RD1 or RD2 selection is needed. 

I wouldn't mind a situation, where, maybe they DO take JPJ with pick 17, but, they decide to justify his value there by making him play LG or RG as a rookie next to the newly signed free agent at Center. You now have a good problem in my opinion there.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2024/03...ashington/
The gabbert reference is a nice salty cherry

(03-03-2024, 05:28 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2024/03...ashington/

All these national pundits seem to ignore our overriding number one need, which is offensive line.  This guy is saying we could trade our 1st AND 2nd pick to move up for a WIDE RECEIVER?  Seriously?

(03-03-2024, 06:49 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-03-2024, 05:28 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2024/03...ashington/

All these national pundits seem to ignore our overriding number one need, which is offensive line.  This guy is saying we could trade our 1st AND 2nd pick to move up for a WIDE RECEIVER?  Seriously?

Yea, many of these national pundits don't have a clue. The Jaguars don't have the luxury of doing this since Baalke messed up so badly last year by not upgrading the offensive line, nickel-back and Edge.

With the caveat that they address IOL in FA I guess.

Odunze is that good though.

You know there are people on this very board that would think that was the key to a championship run.

I get it, if he starts slipping and a run on OL is happening, we might be able to sneak in and grab a top WR guy, or hope he continues sliding to us. You gotta explore all realistic options. Be prepared.

For instance, if he's still there at 13 or 14 and we peg LVR/NOLA as coveting any of the DB, do we make a move up a few spots to nab Rome? I don't think we're planning to jump to say 8.