Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags FA News

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2024, 02:46 PM by Cleatwood.)

Free Agency is just around the corner. Seems like the Jaguars are getting out in front with some cuts coming through.

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/...83002?s=20

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2024, 03:00 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

Should be the first of at least three to four expected cuts. Rayshawn Jenkins ($5.1M in savings) & Brandon Scherff ($9.1M in savings) are probably the most logical and likely.

The two that are kind of lingering and potentially tough to decide on are Cam Robinson with his $17.2M in savings and Darious Williams with his $11.5M in savings. Would be nice to restructure or extend those two in order to soften those two numbers but it doesn't seem likely.

Hopefully these moves + the inflation to the cap's ceiling this year will enable them to sign Allen before the night is done and tag Ridley. If not, it'll just be more holes to fill at:

WR
CB
LT
LG
DT
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-04-2024, 02:59 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Should be the first of at least three to four expected cuts. Rayshawn Jenkins ($5.1M in savings) & Brandon Scherff ($9.1M in savings) are probably the most logical and likely.

The two that are kind of lingering and potentially tough to decide on are Cam Robinson with his $17.2M in savings and Darious Williams with his $11.5M in savings. Would be nice to restructure or extend those two in order to soften those two numbers but it doesn't seem likely.

Hopefully these moves + the inflation to the cap's ceiling this year will enable them to sign Allen before the night is done and tag Ridley. If not, it'll just be more holes to fill at:

WR
CB
LT
LG
DT

To my untrained eye, Williams is the one I keep as he seemed to do reasonably well in coverage and not sure you want to go hunting for multiple corners.

Jenkins made some pretty big plays in tge last couple years.
s
;

;

(03-04-2024, 04:16 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(03-04-2024, 02:59 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Should be the first of at least three to four expected cuts. Rayshawn Jenkins ($5.1M in savings) & Brandon Scherff ($9.1M in savings) are probably the most logical and likely.

WR
CB
LT
LG
DT

To my untrained eye, Williams is the one I keep as he seemed to do reasonably well in coverage and not sure you want to go hunting for multiple corners.

Would you try to restructure/extend Darious to keep him for a few more years?

Foley underwhelmed here. Releasing Scherff and Robinson would be the next moves. Re-sign Cleveland for OG for time to possibly set in as a starter or depth. And time to see if Little can hold a tackle spot this year and stay healthy at the same time. I've been done with Robinson for the longest time. Scherff has not lived up to his money.

FA and draft for starting Center, Guard, and Tackle depth/starter. Load up.

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2024, 06:14 PM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

You definitely bring back Williams, and second on that list would be Robinson. You just can’t afford to be guessing and hoping you can replace these two guys. You have to already be sure you have players ready at these two ultimate important positions. It’s not easy to find a starting left tackle. This team wants to be a play off contender or better team.

(03-04-2024, 05:08 PM)Norman Mushari Wrote: Jenkins made some pretty big plays in tge last couple years.

He also played last year like he was the greased up deaf guy from Family Guy and would either miss assignments or whiff on tackles. I think his replacement is on the roster already in Antonio Johnson. That $5M we can save by cutting him can go towards Allen's extension or converted into cash to maybe keep somebody else here like Ridley. 

In the grand scheme of things, while the offense did have it's up's and down's. There were just some unforgivable secondary moments last year and it really showed up in the biggest games of the year when we needed to pull together. Namely the Bengals loss and Browns loss. Just one win out of those two, just a play or two better defensively and we were in the post season.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-04-2024, 05:45 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(03-04-2024, 04:16 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: To my untrained eye, Williams is the one I keep as he seemed to do reasonably well in coverage and not sure you want to go hunting for multiple corners.

I honestly think it's necessary. Out of the entire secondary last year, he was the best player and the rest of them really had moments of concern and regression. Campbell was not the same player out there when his hamstring injury happened. Jenkins blew assignments. Cisco disappeared a little too much at times. Williams at least at one point had a damn good stretch for this defense. 

The goal should be minimizing the amount of holes you need to backfill every off season, the BIGGEST goal should be minimizing having to backfill CRITICAL positions with COMPETENT play. Williams at least gave this secondary a competent football player. You know what you have in him. Keeping him at least for another year or two enables you to focus on other critical needs earlier on. 

'We cut Williams but we replaced him with Kool-Aid with the 17th pick!".

Cool... says the majority when the offense is still struggling to convert 3rd and short situations, dropping passes inside the redzone and falling prey to the same predictable patterns on offense over the last two years. No thanks. We need to get out of this abusive cycle of getting our vehicle stuck in the sand, getting it pushed out with a little bit of help, only to skid right back on over into soft sand again. 

We need to the [BLEEP] out of here for awhile man. 

There must be some kind of way out of here, said the Joker to the Thief.

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2024, 06:27 PM by nhiverson. Edited 1 time in total.)

I'm cool with 3 out 4 new starting secondary. Sign a FA cb and draft one bench for Campbell. In the late season skid all of them played terrible even Cisco.
No Fun

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2024, 06:36 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-04-2024, 05:45 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(03-04-2024, 04:16 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: To my untrained eye, Williams is the one I keep as he seemed to do reasonably well in coverage and not sure you want to go hunting for multiple corners.

That's a good question.  He'll be 31 in a couple of weeks, so I think I'd want an option to get out after the 2025 season.  If you can get him to agree to something reasonable with that stipulation, let's do it (this means a manageable signing bonus).  You're gonna have to probably guarantee a good chunk of next year for him not to want to try to force you to make the tough decision to pay $11 mil for one year or cut him though.  If we feel confident about being able to fix the line without cutting him and make a run this year, I'd probably just keep him on the current deal.

Jenkins is the only other super obvious cut to me.

Scherff is next - but he is a little up in the air depending on what their FA and draft plan is. If they plan to draft 3rd round or later for RG they may need to keep him until they know the kid is going to pan out as a rookie. Then they can put him on the trade block.

Williams comes down to what the new defensive staff sees in their evaluation. If they think he's good enough to adapt their scheme to... I'd keep him.

Fatukasi had moments of being stout vs the run in 22 - and fewer of them in 23. Can't keep paying him to decline.

(03-04-2024, 06:25 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-04-2024, 05:45 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Would you try to restructure/extend Darious to keep him for a few more years?

I honestly think it's necessary. Out of the entire secondary last year, he was the best player and the rest of them really had moments of concern and regression. Campbell was not the same player out there when his hamstring injury happened. Jenkins blew assignments. Cisco disappeared a little too much at times. Williams at least at one point had a damn good stretch for this defense. 

The goal should be minimizing the amount of holes you need to backfill every off season, the BIGGEST goal should be minimizing having to backfill CRITICAL positions with COMPETENT play. Williams at least gave this secondary a competent football player. You know what you have in him. Keeping him at least for another year or two enables you to focus on other critical needs earlier on. 

'We cut Williams but we replaced him with Kool-Aid with the 17th pick!".

Cool... says the majority when the offense is still struggling to convert 3rd and short situations, dropping passes inside the redzone and falling prey to the same predictable patterns on offense over the last two years. No thanks. We need to get out of this abusive cycle of getting our vehicle stuck in the sand, getting it pushed out with a little bit of help, only to skid right back on over into soft sand again. 

We need to the [BLEEP] out of here for awhile man. 

There must be some kind of way out of here, said the Joker to the Thief.

Bruh, we traded Ramsey but got this dope CB outta Flahrida coming in next season. Only cost us a 1st AND we got a monster sack guy from the Bayou out the deal too! It's gonna be a GREAT year!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2024, 08:28 PM by JagFanatic24. Edited 2 times in total.)

(03-04-2024, 05:08 PM)Norman Mushari Wrote: Jenkins made some pretty big plays in tge last couple years.

Yes sir he has. Some of the biggest defensive games and plays in franchise history. The game he had against Dallas was legendary. 

His forced fumble against the Titans at home, to win the AFC South and put us in the playoffs was right up there with Clyde Simmons’ interception up in Buffalo.

Jenkins is just shy of having 300 tackles in his last 3 seasons. Back to back 100+tackle seasons and he’s coming off a career high 7 TFL.

He’s trash in coverage tho, and that’s why Antonio Johnson will step in and help give that defense more take aways.

Jenkins started 17 games in 2023 and had 2 ints.
Johnson started 3 games in 2023 and had 2 ints.

On a side note: Looking for tugboat to become a starting guard and maybe an offseason will help a guy like Abdullah out.

Foley was easy (more than likely have to draft here. DTs are in the second round in this class: Newton, Sweat, Murphy, Jenkins, Jackson. We shouldn’t trade up and just let whoever fall. The 4/5th round pick required to move up means that we give up a flyer pick on a wr.)

Scherff should be automatic as well(obviously draft and FA here. Draft class is loaded up with OL until the 4th round)

Jenkins next (Johnson is there to replace)

IMO, there’s no reason to cut Cam or Darious. Then there’s Zay. This seems realistic considering this draft is loaded at WR. Every team should be drafting two WRs. I’d be amazed if there was a team that did not draft at least one WR from this class(it’d be interesting to know if that’s ever happened before).

Obviously looks like Ridley will test FA and Allen gets the tag.

Also, seems like a perfect year to take a stab at a clipboard holder in the 5th to 7th round. How about the kid from Western Kentucky?
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Obviously? Don't we have another week to settle this?

(03-04-2024, 09:57 PM)HardcoreMoJagFan Wrote: Obviously?  Don't we have another week to settle this?

#becausejags

Obviously you’ve been around here before?
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(03-04-2024, 09:57 PM)HardcoreMoJagFan Wrote: Obviously?  Don't we have another week to settle this?

Just check and see who has a birthday coming up?
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Yeah I'm still assuming sign Allen, tag Ridley.

(03-04-2024, 10:39 PM)HardcoreMoJagFan Wrote: Yeah I'm still assuming sign Allen, tag Ridley.

Can’t wait to know