Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Titans/Colts tonight (8/27/16)

Andrew Luck is going to get hurt again at this rate
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Watched the first half of the raiders game, was really more interested in seeing Carr in game action since the NFL seems to be all up in his jock compared to Bortles. He doesn't look nearly as good as Bortles. He's decent, but definitely not as good as Bortles when it comes to the kind of skill and attitude to take over a game.

As for the tacks, I can't say I was impressed with them, more like I was unimpressed with the Raiders. The "long" pass to Sharp in the first quarter was a prime example of mariota's "big play" ability. A defender jumped for the INT and let it go between his hands and the secondary let a guy get completely behind them who was 10 yards past the line of scrimmage.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the titans aren't concerning to me right now. They've wasted a lot of draft picks, but they have a lot more coming, so some better direction and coaching could get them moving in a better direction, but the "let's run the ball harder" mantra is very difficult to implement successfully in the current NFL.

Quote:Colts lose a guard

#Colts G Jack Mewhort, a key cog on their OL, is believed to have torn his ACL, source said. An Andrew Luck bodyguard done for the season

Practically everything else from this pre-season game is meaningless in the grand scheme of football things.   Losing a key starter on the Offensive Line for the season is something that could adversely impact the Colts greatly. 

After watching Ravens TE Ben Watson suffer a torn Achilles' tendon on their first play from scrimmage and promising rookie RB Kenneth Dixon suffer a knee sprain in which the severity is unknown ( publicly ) at this time,   all of this is a reminder that getting through pre-season games w/o key injuries is by far the most important objective with these meaningless games in the standings. 

Quote:Watched the first half of the raiders game, was really more interested in seeing Carr in game action since the NFL seems to be all up in his jock compared to Bortles. He doesn't look nearly as good as Bortles. He's decent, but definitely not as good as Bortles when it comes to the kind of skill and attitude to take over a game.

As for the tacks, I can't say I was impressed with them, more like I was unimpressed with the Raiders. The "long" pass to Sharp in the first quarter was a prime example of mariota's "big play" ability. A defender jumped for the INT and let it go between his hands and the secondary let a guy get completely behind them who was 10 yards past the line of scrimmage.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the titans aren't concerning to me right now. They've wasted a lot of draft picks, but they have a lot more coming, so some better direction and coaching could get them moving in a better direction, but the "let's run the ball harder" mantra is very difficult to implement successfully in the current NFL.

Yeah, that was a bad play by Mariota but great play by Sharpe. Mariota seems to force plays to Sharpe when he's on the field. He seems to be a dependable receiver.

The running game looked great and I'm ecstatic to have a running game. It was woefully needed last season. And as I've said before, teams may pass more now days, but it's more running teams getting into the playoffs. Ideally, it's good to have a balanced team, but more running teams get in than passing teams.

I'm pretty happy with the offense. We have receiving threats beyond just Walker so that's a step in the right direction. The offensive line is blocking. Running backs are beasting.

The defense still looks like a dumpster fire, mainly the secondary. We got one of our corners back. Hope to get Perrish back next week.

Quote:Watched the first half of the raiders game, was really more interested in seeing Carr in game action since the NFL seems to be all up in his jock compared to Bortles. He doesn't look nearly as good as Bortles. He's decent, but definitely not as good as Bortles when it comes to the kind of skill and attitude to take over a game.

I thought Carr had some pretty good throws in the game.  The deep pass to Crabtree and the TD to Cooper were really accurate.agree with you on your Raiders' take.  Their secondary was bad bad bad.  My thing is I can't even say #20 was going for the INT.  Taje Sharpe already caught the pass when he jumped.  How in the world could Sean Smith completely whiff on the jam with Andre Johnson like that?  Now I give the tacks credit for taking advantage of those blunders, but I'm not convinced they score on either of those drives but for those blunders.

I don't know about the tacks wasting picks, though I acknowledge I did not see that Penn St. DT or that Clemson DE do too much.  I sure hope you are right about that.  They deserve to continue to suck for the forseeabke future just on general principle.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Yeah, that was a bad play by Mariota but great play by Sharpe. Mariota seems to force plays to Sharpe when he's on the field. He seems to be a dependable receiver.

The running game looked great and I'm ecstatic to have a running game. It was woefully needed last season. And as I've said before, teams may pass more now days, but it's more running teams getting into the playoffs. Ideally, it's good to have a balanced team, but more running teams get in than passing teams.

I'm pretty happy with the offense. We have receiving threats beyond just Walker so that's a step in the right direction. The offensive line is blocking. Running backs are beasting.

The defense still looks like a dumpster fire, mainly the secondary. We got one of our corners back. Hope to get Perrish back next week.

The offensive production in the preseason tends to be fools gold. Guys often don't stick their nose into the pile in the preseason to stop runs at 2 or 3 yards and let them go to the next level which is the same reason I'm not convinced the Jaguars running game is going to be as good as it's looked in the preseason so far, either. Jaguars are getting 5+ YPC from the first team running game, but when the regular season comes I fully expect it'll probably drop to less than 4. It might be improved, just like the titans might be improved, but the preseason success isn't an indication of what's actually going to happen when the games count.

Quote:I thought Carr had some pretty good throws in the game.  The deep pass to Crabtree and the TD to Cooper were really accurate.agree with you on your Raiders' take.  Their secondary was bad bad bad.  My thing is I can't even say #20 was going for the INT.  Taje Sharpe already caught the pass when he jumped.  How in the world could Sean Smith completely whiff on the jam with Andre Johnson like that?  Now I give the tacks credit for taking advantage of those blunders, but I'm not convinced they score on either of those drives but for those blunders.

I don't know about the tacks wasting picks, though I acknowledge I did not see that Penn St. DT or that Clemson DE do too much.  I sure hope you are right about that.  They deserve to continue to suck for the forseeabke future just on general principle.

He had one throw that I thought was good, and it was the deep pass to Crabtree on the sideline, but even that one only worked because Crabtree had his man so well beat. (thrown low and to the inside means it would have been easily defensed if the defender had been in good enough coverage to turn his head) Not to say it was an awful pass or anything, but there are great passes like Eli Manning to Mario Manningham in the 2011 Superbowl - essentially can't be defended without committing a penalty - and there are good passes that work but wouldn't work if the defender was in good position.

The tacks are wasting picks on guys like Dorial Green and Henry. (just like the Jaguars wasted a pick on TJ Yeldon in the 2nd round) Green at least was an attempt at a good value pick in a league that is essentially insisting you draft for passing. If they want to go smashmouth they need to go all in on that an draft defense instead of Right Tackles in the top 10.

The Tacks have a well built O line and some good RBs. Still not sure about Mariota, and the receiver group looks below average (did Wright play?). Obviously the desensive rebuild is lagging the offense. Overall if I was a Tack fan I would be causiously optimistic about the future. Though this year looks to be a rough one.

Am I the only one who thinks the Raiders have regressed?

Quote:Yeah, that was a bad play by Mariota but great play by Sharpe. Mariota seems to force plays to Sharpe when he's on the field. He seems to be a dependable receiver.

I don't think Sharpe did anything special there. He caught the ball and ran. He was just lucky it wasn't intercepted.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:The Tacks have a well built O line and some good RBs. Still not sure about Mariota, and the receiver group looks below average (did Wright play?). Obviously the desensive rebuild is lagging the offense. Overall if I was a Tack fan I would be causiously optimistic about the future. Though this year looks to be a rough one.

It's the preseason. The Raiders might not be the team that ESPN and the analytics humpers are pumping them up to be, but the preseason needs to be taken with a truckload of salt.

Quote:I don't think Sharpe did anything special there. He caught the ball and ran. He was just lucky it wasn't intercepted.

He didn't. He did a good job immediately turning it upfield and getting as much as he could, it was by no means a special play.

On another note, did anyone else notice that mariota's accuracy was looking really shaky?

Quote: 

On another note, did anyone else notice that mariota's accuracy was looking really shaky?
Yes, especially that first drive.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:The offensive production in the preseason tends to be fools gold. Guys often don't stick their nose into the pile in the preseason to stop runs at 2 or 3 yards and let them go to the next level which is the same reason I'm not convinced the Jaguars running game is going to be as good as it's looked in the preseason so far, either. Jaguars are getting 5+ YPC from the first team running game, but when the regular season comes I fully expect it'll probably drop to less than 4. It might be improved, just like the titans might be improved, but the preseason success isn't an indication of what's actually going to happen when the games count.

The assumption that you can't identify improvements and regressions in preseason is the fools gold. I see why you want to believe what you want to believe lol. You've went all in that Henry is garbage.

Quote:I don't think Sharpe did anything special there. He caught the ball and ran. He was just lucky it wasn't intercepted.

It took a lot of concentration to catch that ball

Quote:It took a lot of concentration to catch that ball

It hit him in the chest...
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:The Tacks have a well built O line and some good RBs. Still not sure about Mariota, and the receiver group looks below average (did Wright play?). Obviously the desensive rebuild is lagging the offense. Overall if I was a Tack fan I would be causiously optimistic about the future. Though this year looks to be a rough one.

Wright is thought to play next week. He's had a hamstring issue. He'll be a slot receiver.

Quote:It hit him in the chest...

He couldn't see where the ball was coming from until it got past the defender

Quote:He couldn't see where the ball was coming from until it got past the defender
Whatever you say. I'm not trying to bash Sharpe here. I think he can be a very good reciever. Just seems to me you're trying to make that a little more exciting than it was. But I get it, we do the same with ARob all the time.

I just see it as a pass that should have been intercepted and Sharpe was in the right place. I think most other WRs would have caught that ball as well.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:The assumption that you can't identify improvements and regressions in preseason is the fools gold. I see why you want to believe what you want to believe lol. You've went all in that Henry is garbage.

That you think you can identify anything at all in the preseason shows how far from reality you are. You can believe that Henry will get a lot of free runs into the secondary just like Jaguars fans used to believe that Blaine Gabbert's big performances in the preseason of 2012 meant he was turning a corner, but it doesn't make it so at all.

I'm not saying the titans couldn't be much better than anyone thinks, sometimes it seems like miracles really do happen in football, but the preseason is utterly separate from that.

Quote:That you think you can identify anything at all in the preseason shows how far from reality you are. You can believe that Henry will get a lot of free runs into the secondary just like Jaguars fans used to believe that Blaine Gabbert's big performances in the preseason of 2012 meant he was turning a corner, but it doesn't make it so at all.

I'm not saying the titans couldn't be much better than anyone thinks, sometimes it seems like miracles really do happen in football, but the preseason is utterly separate from that.

The fact that you think you can't evaluate anything in preseason shows how narrow-minded you are. Box scores may not mean anything, but you can see how players handle certain situations.

Quote:The fact that you think you can't evaluate anything in preseason shows how narrow-minded you are. Box scores may not mean anything, but you can see how players handle certain situations.

Yes, but those things won't have a direct bearing on performance during the season.

The titans are trying things out for their own interests just like the team's they're facing, and guys that think they have something to prove often look much better in the preseason against guys that feel like they don't have anything to prove.

The only thing that I take away from the Jaguars so far in the preseason is that Ramsey is great a physical specimen as he was touted to be and appeared to be in college and that Bortles and the passing game are continuing to be the strength of the team. Like I said, running stats against teams disinterested in sticking their nose into the pile during the part of the year when everyone is trying to avoid injury don't mean anything to me, and they probably shouldn't to you, either.

Come back after a few games in the season. Right now there are 19 guys in the preseason that have had at least 10 carries and are averaging 5 or more YPC. It's not because everyone in the NFL is suddenly great at toting the rock, it's because it's the preseason, and the preseason is mirage time.