Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Baltimore bridge collapse

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2024, 06:47 AM by Caldrac.)

https://twitter.com/aliifil1/status/1772...huDoA&s=19

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Awful. Interesting the ship went straight for a supporting column.

That's what happens when self serving politicians wipe their [BLEEP] with our tax dollars...

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-26-2024, 06:44 AM)Caldrac Wrote: https://twitter.com/aliifil1/status/1772...huDoA&s=19

That's what happens when self serving politicians wipe their [BLEEP] with our tax dollars...

I don’t think it was intentional. The article states the lights on the ship were flickering and in the video they can be seen to come on not long before impact. Plus, the heavy smoke coming from the stack indicates to me the pilot was attempting to reverse the prop(s) or use them for steerage since the ship didn’t appear to be moving fast enough for effective rudder control. I wouldn’t be surprised if they dropped anchor in an attempt to stop. 

It looks like a bad series of events at the absolute worst time.

Hopefully we can build back better.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-26-2024, 07:01 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-26-2024, 06:44 AM)Caldrac Wrote: https://twitter.com/aliifil1/status/1772...huDoA&s=19

I don’t think it was intentional. The article states the lights on the ship were flickering and in the video they can be seen to come on not long before impact. Plus, the heavy smoke coming from the stack indicates to me the pilot was attempting to reverse the prop(s) or use them for steerage since the ship didn’t appear to be moving fast enough for effective rudder control. I wouldn’t be surprised if they dropped anchor in an attempt to stop. 

Looks like sudden full astern.  The questions are how it got so far off course and if was loss of rudder control, why delayed engine orders/response.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(03-26-2024, 08:30 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-26-2024, 07:01 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I don’t think it was intentional. The article states the lights on the ship were flickering and in the video they can be seen to come on not long before impact. Plus, the heavy smoke coming from the stack indicates to me the pilot was attempting to reverse the prop(s) or use them for steerage since the ship didn’t appear to be moving fast enough for effective rudder control. I wouldn’t be surprised if they dropped anchor in an attempt to stop. 

Looks like sudden full astern.  The questions are how it got so far off course and if was loss of rudder control, why delayed engine orders/response.

The lights were flickering before impact which indicates power generation problems. Most likely after they got into the channel the power dropped which resulted in steerage loss. 

One thing is for sure, there’s a ship’s captain available for hire to do anything but captain a ship.

(03-26-2024, 08:49 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-26-2024, 08:30 AM)Sneakers Wrote: Looks like sudden full astern.  The questions are how it got so far off course and if was loss of rudder control, why delayed engine orders/response.

The lights were flickering before impact which indicates power generation problems. Most likely after they got into the channel the power dropped which resulted in steerage loss. 

One thing is for sure, there’s a ship’s captain available for hire to do anything but captain a ship.

Get him a wrecking ball and put him to work!

(03-26-2024, 09:02 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-26-2024, 08:49 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: The lights were flickering before impact which indicates power generation problems. Most likely after they got into the channel the power dropped which resulted in steerage loss. 

Get him a wrecking ball and put him to work!

Do you think he faces criminal charges for negligence?

(03-26-2024, 09:15 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-26-2024, 09:02 AM)Mikey Wrote: Get him a wrecking ball and put him to work!

Way too much unknown, to us at least.   It all depends on the proximate cause of rudder failure (assuming that was the problem) and his response.  We also can't overlook the possibility that it was a female driver.  

I'm going to pay for that comment if Americus reads this!

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2024, 09:48 AM by homebiscuit.)

That depends on what is found during the investigation.

(03-26-2024, 09:44 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-26-2024, 09:15 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Do you think he faces criminal charges for negligence?

Way too much unknown, to us at least.   It all depends on the proximate cause of rudder failure (assuming that was the problem) and his response.  We also can't overlook the possibility that it was a female driver.  

I'm going to pay for that comment if Americus reads this!

The captain and harbor pilot were updating their social media accounts on their phones.

Just found a picture of the harbor pilot online.

[Image: film-review-speed-2-cruise-control-1997.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2024, 10:48 AM by The Drifter. Edited 2 times in total.)

Make me wonder if Joseph Jeffrey Hazelwood (Capt. of the Exxon Valdez)was piloting that ship!!!!!!!

Just read this in my local paper:

Cargo ship issued mayday before hitting Baltimore's bridge, enabling authorities to limit traffic

BALTIMORE (AP) — The operators of a cargo ship issued a mayday call moments before slamming into a Baltimore bridge, enabling authorities to limit vehicle traffic on the span. That's according to the Maryland governor. The collision caused the bridge to snap and plunge into the river below. …

https://www.fredericknewspost.com/public...0d20c.html
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

Some people think it's maybe a cyber attack.

https://twitter.com/Motabhai012/status/1...TQQ1w&s=19

(03-26-2024, 11:01 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Some people think it's maybe a cyber attack.

Good grief. Should have known this would bring out the conspiracy theorists.

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2024, 11:16 AM by Caldrac.)

(03-26-2024, 11:08 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-26-2024, 11:01 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Some people think it's maybe a cyber attack.

Good grief. Should have known this would bring out the conspiracy theorists.
Why wouldn't it? In these times? With multi pronged issues going on between Russia/Ukraine and Israel/Palestine and China.

It's in the middle of an election year. Would be a good time to strike and stoke fear. It's not just Alex Jones and other tinfoil hat wearers saying this.

Ron Paul said weeks ago he feared a Black Swan event happening. This is just another hit to disrupt supply chains. We've seen a number of massive infrastructure failures now over the past few years.

The Palestine derailment was another one that's still fresh, etc. The fires in Maui. Whether deliberate or not, foreign or domestic, or, just a random game of chance and a dance with the devil's own luck?

It's healthy to question.

Honestly, I think this was just a careless accident. I seriously doubt this was a planned attack..

This guy/gal was either drunk or more worried about DEI training..

This is the sad end result of stupidity where people parished..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(03-26-2024, 11:17 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Honestly, I think this was just a careless accident. I seriously doubt this was a planned attack..

I would like to know the name of the Captain, how many years of service and how many voyages conducted personally. That will matter a great deal. 

It is worth noting, that, Francis Scott Key is the writer of our Star-Spangled Banner anthem. I just find that interesting. Never overlook any details. Those things matter. 

Also worth noting. Putin was elected President of Russia for the 1st time on March 26th, 2000.

(03-26-2024, 11:41 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-26-2024, 11:17 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Honestly, I think this was just a careless accident. I seriously doubt this was a planned attack..

I would like to know the name of the Captain, how many years of service and how many voyages conducted personally. That will matter a great deal. 

It is worth noting, that, Francis Scott Key is the writer of our Star-Spangled Banner anthem. I just find that interesting. Never overlook any details. Those things matter. 

Also worth noting. Putin was elected President of Russia for the 1st time on March 26th, 2000.

No, I agree.. More insight will give us a better idea of what happened, but that's where I'm leaning..

Natural Born Stupidity..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

If someone is going to ram a ship into a bridge, 1:30 in the morning seems like an odd time to do it.

Might get the key to the city if they were trying to find a way to get the bridge updated without voters/taxpayers losing their minds Wink