Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trade up for WR?

With reports of Jags having a private meeting with Nabers after his LSU pro day... where do fans stand on the idea of moving up to get a receiver? 

https://nfltraderumors.co/lsu-wr-malik-n...six-teams/

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This is interesting. In addition to being interested in Rome Odunze as well with an official visit, it's a potential option. They also visited with Brian Thomas Jr.

Those are now three of your consensus top five - six receivers in this year's class. Nabers is probably somebody you would have to give up a considerable amount of picks to move up for. Swapping of first's and potentially our 2nd and 3rd RD picks.

Not sure if he's worth all of that as we still have other holes to fill and depth to shore up. If you think Nabers offers the potential to be the best receiver the Jaguars have had in a uniform since Jimmy Smith? Go for it. If there's any doubts? Don't do it.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Nah.

We should get a quality player at 17.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-27-2024, 11:16 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: With reports of Jags having a private meeting with Nabers after his LSU pro day... where do fans stand on the idea of moving up to get a receiver? 

https://nfltraderumors.co/lsu-wr-malik-n...six-teams/

Depends on the cost. How far up would we have to move? If hes there at 10 and we could give up our second I would do it, dont know how realistic that is tho. If we have to move up much higher than that I think the cost would be too great. Dont want to trade a future 1st for example.

But it would be great to give TL a legit receiver for an entire rookie contract.

We obviously have more needs to address, but Baalke has been questionable in the second round anyway.

Assuming you agree with the consensus that this draft class is very deep in WRs, trading up to get a WR seems to be the exact opposite of how you would take advantage of that. In terms of draft strategy, staying at #17 would allow you draft a WR that would otherwise go in the top 10 in 'other drafts' and waiting until round 2 would allow you a shot at getting a 1st round receiver in 'other drafts.' Now all of that is philosophical, but being a GM in a draft (similar to poker) is all about playing the odds better than your competitors.

For MHJ, Odunze or Nabers…. 100%

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2024, 12:33 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

Depends on the cost. If one falls to the teens I'd be open to it but you will likely have to trade into the top 10 and give up too much draft capital. Pass.

It depends on the price.

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2024, 01:17 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

If you're trading up in the 1st, you better be right. The Snoop Conner trade up doesn't bother me so much because it occurred in the 5th round. Who gives a [BLEEP] at that point? If you trade up to the top 5 or 6 to get Nabers which is where you'd probably have to get up to, you better be right and it better be clear as day pretty early on that he's better than the WRs that went behind him.

I think this is just a case of due diligence in case Nabers falls to 10 or something more comfortable to trade up to. They want to make sure if he happens to get into an acceptable range, that they're not caught not having vetted him as much as possible when discussing whether to trade up for him or not.

(03-27-2024, 01:17 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: If you're trading up in the 1st, you better be right.  The Snoop Conner trade up doesn't bother me so much because it occurred in the 5th round.  Who gives a [BLEEP] at that point?  If you trade up to the top 5 or 6 to get Nabers which is where you'd probably have to get up to, you better be right and it better be clear as day pretty early on that he's better than the WRs that went behind him.

I think this is just a case of due diligence in case Nabers falls to 10 or something more comfortable to trade up to.  They want to make sure if he happens to get into an acceptable range, that they're not caught not having vetted him as much as possible when discussing whether to trade up for him or not.

This is what I think as well. Same case for Odunze. It's just covering your bases. Especially if it's rumored that the first four to five teams are all looking at Quarterback on the opening night of the draft. 

A talented player is more than likely going to fall because of other team's needs. It'll be interesting to see what the Vikings are doing. They didn't trade with Houston for nothing. If they move up and go QB it'll have a ripple effect on everybody else.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-27-2024, 01:17 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: If you're trading up in the 1st, you better be right.  The Snoop Conner trade up doesn't bother me so much because it occurred in the 5th round.  Who gives a [BLEEP] at that point?  If you trade up to the top 5 or 6 to get Nabers which is where you'd probably have to get up to, you better be right and it better be clear as day pretty early on that he's better than the WRs that went behind him.

I think this is just a case of due diligence in case Nabers falls to 10 or something more comfortable to trade up to.  They want to make sure if he happens to get into an acceptable range, that they're not caught not having vetted him as much as possible when discussing whether to trade up for him or not.

Agreed

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2024, 03:05 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

I would add that it could be an indicator that they've had preemptive trade discussions with teams ahead of us (not shocking) and that they've found one or more potential willing partners at a "reasonable" price. If you contacted all parties ahead of you and asked what the price to move up would be and got all above trade chart value counters, I don't know that you'd waste your time interviewing a guy perceived to be a top 6 pick, but who knows.

I don't think contacting teams to price check a move up is necessarily an intention to move up either. It's just being prepared for all scenarios come draft day which is smart.

I would NOT trade up if it meant giving up their 2nd and 3rd round compensatory pick after exchanging 1st round picks. My reasoning is:

1. Can still get very good receiver in round 2 like Pearsall or Coleman.

2. As good as Odunze and Nabers are, they are not worth more than the combination of BPA (Mitchell, Arnold, Verse, Thomas, Fashanu, Fautanu) plus any of the combinations listed below:

Round 2: Pearsall, Coleman, Franklin, McConkey, Legette, Sweat, Frazier, Tampa, Rakestraw, Jenkins

Round 3: Baker, R. Wilson, Mahogany, Puni, Elliss,

Other players could certainly be substituted in rounds 2 and 3, but I just don;t see doing this unless they believe Odunze or Nabers are the nexr Randy Moss or Justin Jefferson.

Nope, I want big bodies. Receivers are useless when the QB has not time to throw and the RBs have not lanes to run in.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-27-2024, 04:05 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Nope, I want big bodies. Receivers are useless when the QB has not time to throw and the RBs have not lanes to run in.
I think we all want that but look at who the Jags are meeting with and who they have been linked to. A lot of WRs and cornerbacks.

They are dead set on their current 5 starting lineman. They’ll take some big IOL in round 3-6 it looks like.

I would love Fuaga or Fautanu but I don’t think that’s the direction Baalke and company are going. I obviously don’t know for sure but that’s my guess.

I don't think you trade up for Nabers, who isn't a big receiver, when either Thomas or Mitchell, who are both taller receivers, should be there at 17. That's if you go receiver in the 1st. Really liked the break down I watched of AD Mitchell the other day. I'm not blowing my load trying to trade up if it's me making the decision.

I think it's more of a case of due diligence. Stranger things have happened on draft night. I am in agreement with most of you.

1. If it's a case of trading up? The value has to make enough sense to where it's not an immediate detriment to the current draft selections. As we still have ample enough holes to fill and depth to shore up.

2. If it's going to be a WR that we do in fact target early? I would prefer it being the longer, rangier type of target like BJT or AD. Thomas Jr. and Mitchell have what we lack on the outside. It's possible one of them is there at 17.

3. The receiving class is deep enough to where you don't have to think you absolutely need one at 17. Pearsall, McConkey, Franklin, Leggett and Coleman are all very real possibilities at 46 on the second night of the draft.

4. There's more depth beyond RD2 as well at receiver. Baker out of UCF, Washington out of USC and Washington out of Virigina offer great value in RD3 or later. Hayden Hatten and Josh Cephus are guys that should be on our radar (Cephus for sure, as they have visited with him) when we start getting into the later hours of day three of the draft.

Not for a WR.

They are skinny RBs and not worth it.

Give Trevor an actual offensive line and he can make a scrub look like Terrell Owen's

As much as I would love to see us get aggressive and move up for a WR, I am just not buying it.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

The whole off season so far has put us in a position to take a IDL, OL, CB, WR that falls to us at 17. The real possibility exists we would have multiple targets fall we desire. Opening the chance for us to make someone overpay for 17 just like we would be to move up. I would like to get an IDL or OL there. However, if Baalkie is really wanting to make that move he will need our owners approval and put his employment at risk. I personally would not do that.
A new broom always sweeps clean.