Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trade up for WR?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-27-2024, 04:14 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 04:05 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Nope, I want big bodies. Receivers are useless when the QB has not time to throw and the RBs have not lanes to run in.
I think we all want that but look at who the Jags are meeting with and who they have been linked to. A lot of WRs and cornerbacks.

They are dead set on their current 5 starting lineman. They’ll take some big IOL in round 3-6 it looks like.

I would love Fuaga or Fautanu but I don’t think that’s the direction Baalke and company are going. I obviously don’t know for sure but that’s my guess.

Then get ready for an awful season and hopefully the firing of Pederson and Baalke

(This post was last modified: 03-28-2024, 11:17 AM by Mikey.)

(03-27-2024, 11:16 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: With reports of Jags having a private meeting with Nabers after his LSU pro day... where do fans stand on the idea of moving up to get a receiver? 

https://nfltraderumors.co/lsu-wr-malik-n...six-teams/

I saw a mock today where the Gints took Rome at 6 as the second WR off the board. If that happens, I certainly talk to ATL about moving up. Maybe we ask for our third back as part of the deal Big Grin 

Leave no stone unturned. Never know if he slides, and if he does, you want to know whether he's worth moving for or waiting for the next guy.

(03-27-2024, 11:24 AM)g1ml3t Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 11:16 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: With reports of Jags having a private meeting with Nabers after his LSU pro day... where do fans stand on the idea of moving up to get a receiver? 

Depends on the cost. How far up would we have to move? If hes there at 10 and we could give up our second I would do it, dont know how realistic that is tho. If we have to move up much higher than that I think the cost would be too great. Dont want to trade a future 1st for example.

But it would be great to give TL a legit receiver for an entire rookie contract.

We obviously have more needs to address, but Baalke has been questionable in the second round anyway.

I highly doubt CHI would pass him up. #8 is probably your sweet spot. The tacks wouldn't trade with us most likely, and they may want to stay put and grab their OT in Alt. #6 (NYG) is probably too steep a price to pay, but if MHJ falls that far, hoo boy I'm going full Ditka on my offfer to move up

(03-27-2024, 12:10 PM)cland Wrote: Assuming you agree with the consensus that this draft class is very deep in WRs, trading up to get a WR seems to be the exact opposite of how you would take advantage of that.  In terms of draft strategy, staying at #17 would allow you draft a WR that would otherwise go in the top 10 in 'other drafts' and waiting until round 2 would allow you a shot at getting a 1st round receiver in 'other drafts.'  Now all of that is philosophical, but being a GM in a draft (similar to poker) is all about playing the odds better than your competitors.

There is a very real possiblity MHJ, Rome, Nabers and Thomas are all gone before 17. At that point, I take any other position based on value and see what the second round holds.

(This post was last modified: 03-29-2024, 10:21 AM by Caldrac.)

https://twitter.com/JVillainsPod/status/...XoRMg&s=19

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Wouldn't mind Devontez Walker. Good to see the team eyeing him. Would hope like hell he's there at 96 but the odds he makes it from 48 to 96 are slim to none.

I am convinced we're going to have to trade up for a WR, just not up from 17. In my opinion, the goal is to nab a guy in RD2.

If a guy doesn't fall to 48? They'll look to package those picks at 96, 114 and 116 to get back into the bottom half of RD2 or early RD3.

This is where I think guys like Pearsall, Baker, Leggett and Walker get interest from teams.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-29-2024, 10:17 AM)Caldrac Wrote: https://twitter.com/JVillainsPod/status/...XoRMg&s=19

Wouldn't mind Devontez Walker. Good to see the team eyeing him. Would hope like hell he's there at 96 but the odds he makes it from 48 to 96 are slim to none.

I am convinced we're going to have to trade up for a WR, just not up from 17. In my opinion, the goal is to nab a guy in RD2.

If a guy doesn't fall to 48? They'll look to package those picks at 96, 114 and 116 to get back into the bottom half of RD2 or early RD3.

This is where I think guys like Pearsall, Baker, Leggett and Walker get interest from teams.

I don't think they're taking one the first two days. It's not like Baalke and Pederson's offense doesn't need a superstar. They like Kirk, Davis, Jones, Washington, Duvernay...so maybe a 3rd day guy to fill it out. maybe an UDFA takes the spot.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-29-2024, 11:36 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-29-2024, 10:17 AM)Caldrac Wrote: https://twitter.com/JVillainsPod/status/...XoRMg&s=19

I don't think they're taking one the first two days.
Not sure about at all in the first 2 days, but I will almost guarantee they don't if they stick and pick at 17. And, I still think Baalke will be looking for trade partner to move down.

How the board falls will determine the pick at 17. No matter, I agree with you that a WR in the first is not happening.

I like OL in the first for the Jags.
OneTeamOneNation
PackerNation!

(03-29-2024, 11:36 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

I don't think they're taking one the first two days. It's not like Baalke and Pederson's offense doesn't need a superstar. They like Kirk, Davis, Jones, Washington, Duvernay...so maybe a 3rd day guy to fill it out. maybe an UDFA takes the spot.

I don't know. I think at the minimum they're considering a guy as early as RD2 or even moving back up into RD2 or potentially late on draft night in RD1 to get someone they like. 

I cannot recall the last time in an off season when Baalke and his scouting team were linked to this many receivers. They're looking at good receivers at that. Between Odunze, Nabers & Thomas Jr. and now with Pearsall, Walker and Cephus, they're clearly in the market for a WR early or at least a WR with height, range and deep ball ability. 

Don't be shocked when you see a trade involving pick's 48 & 96 moving this team up into the early 30's to land a receiver. Hear me now, believe me later. Baalke primarily drafts with his eye on the future. He's looking to get his immediate needs filled via free agency while backfilling their replacements earlier on with the draft. 

It makes sense. He can always package up 114 & 116 to get back inside the top 100 again as well. After all of the draft picks he had last year? He probably doesn't want to use all eight selections this year. If he was willing to trade a 6th RD pick for Mac Jones this off season and he was interested in trading last year around the deadline for Danielle Hunter? 

He's already factored in this year's draft class and scouting notes. I think he's looking to land a WR to eventually move on from Christian Kirk in the near future, or, at the minimum, push Zay Jones off the roster. That can be any receiver type in this draft. 

I think he's looking to land a CB to compliment Campbell or outright bump Campbell down to CB2 for contract reasons. I think he's looking at OT with some OG ability to be prepared to move on from Cam Robinson and Walker Little potentially if things don't fall his way by his standards for 2025's off season. 

WR
CB
OG/OT

That's on their priority list. And it wouldn't shock me if that's all he cares about getting in this class, regardless of what he has to trade up to make it happen early. Get in early. Get out early. Focus towards training camp and just wait until a late day three after an early day two to fill in some holes or compete for the Practice Squad.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-29-2024, 12:53 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-29-2024, 11:36 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I don't think they're taking one the first two days. It's not like Baalke and Pederson's offense doesn't need a superstar. They like Kirk, Davis, Jones, Washington, Duvernay...so maybe a 3rd day guy to fill it out. maybe an UDFA takes the spot.

I don't know. I think at the minimum they're considering a guy as early as RD2 or even moving back up into RD2 or potentially late on draft night in RD1 to get someone they like. 

I cannot recall the last time in an off season when Baalke and his scouting team were linked to this many receivers. They're looking at good receivers at that. Between Odunze, Nabers & Thomas Jr. and now with Pearsall, Walker and Cephus, they're clearly in the market for a WR early or at least a WR with height, range and deep ball ability. 

Don't be shocked when you see a trade involving pick's 48 & 96 moving this team up into the early 30's to land a receiver. Hear me now, believe me later. Baalke primarily drafts with his eye on the future. He's looking to get his immediate needs filled via free agency while backfilling their replacements earlier on with the draft. 

It makes sense. He can always package up 114 & 116 to get back inside the top 100 again as well. After all of the draft picks he had last year? He probably doesn't want to use all eight selections this year. If he was willing to trade a 6th RD pick for Mac Jones this off season and he was interested in trading last year around the deadline for Danielle Hunter? 

He's already factored in this year's draft class and scouting notes. I think he's looking to land a WR to eventually move on from Christian Kirk in the near future, or, at the minimum, push Zay Jones off the roster. That can be any receiver type in this draft. 

I think he's looking to land a CB to compliment Campbell or outright bump Campbell down to CB2 for contract reasons. I think he's looking at OT with some OG ability to be prepared to move on from Cam Robinson and Walker Little potentially if things don't fall his way by his standards for 2025's off season. 

WR
CB
OG/OT

That's on their priority list. And it wouldn't shock me if that's all he cares about getting in this class, regardless of what he has to trade up to make it happen early. Get in early. Get out early. Focus towards training camp and just wait until a late day three after an early day two to fill in some holes or compete for the Practice Squad.

Nice list. Mine is a bit different.  Based on the moves they have made they need (in no particular order)  a tackle, IOL, a NT/IDL and a CB.  Everything else is a nice to have. I expect them to be opportunistic based on their player grades.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 03-29-2024, 04:23 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-29-2024, 02:54 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(03-29-2024, 12:53 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I don't know. I think at the minimum they're considering a guy as early as RD2 or even moving back up into RD2 or potentially late on draft night in RD1 to get someone they like. 

WR
CB
OG/OT

Nice list. Mine is a bit different.  Based on the moves they have made they need (in no particular order)  a tackle, IOL, a NT/IDL and a CB.  Everything else is a nice to have. I expect them to be opportunistic based on their player grades.

Agreed. I keep downplaying NT/IDL a little bit on my end. With Armstead signed up for a few years, and hopefully a healthy DaVon Hamilton returning. I think they're eyeing the offensive side of the football earlier than usual. 

CB is really Baalke's bread and butter as well. He seems to find more luck picking secondary players in general. They can get a lot done early and call it a wrap by the end of Friday night if they did their homework right. 

I remember last year, Baalke was interviewed and based on how they graded their players, I think they came to the conclusion that they had roughly 120 players on their board that they would consider draft worthy. That's with thirteen or fourteen draft picks at his disposal. 

With only eight this year, and with him trading a sixth rounder over for Mac Jones, and without a doubt, he would have been looking at probably forking over a RD2 and/or RD3/RD4 selections for Danielle Hunter last year with the Vikings had he made something work out.

I just can't see him trading down at all and looking to move up more than anything.

(This post was last modified: 03-29-2024, 10:53 PM by Jag149. Edited 2 times in total.)

(03-29-2024, 04:10 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-29-2024, 02:54 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Nice list. Mine is a bit different.  Based on the moves they have made they need (in no particular order)  a tackle, IOL, a NT/IDL and a CB.  Everything else is a nice to have. I expect them to be opportunistic based on their player grades.

Agreed. I keep downplaying NT/IDL a little bit on my end. With Armstead signed up for a few years, and hopefully a healthy DaVon Hamilton returning. I think they're eyeing the offensive side of the football earlier than usual. 

CB is really Baalke's bread and butter as well. He seems to find more luck picking secondary players in general. They can get a lot done early and call it a wrap by the end of Friday night if they did their homework right. 

I remember last year, Baalke was interviewed and based on how they graded their players, I think they came to the conclusion that they had roughly 120 players on their board that they would consider draft worthy. That's with thirteen or fourteen draft picks at his disposal. 

With only eight this year, and with him trading a sixth rounder over for Mac Jones, and without a doubt, he would have been looking at probably forking over a RD2 and/or RD3/RD4 selections for Danielle Hunter last year with the Vikings had he made something work out.

I just can't see him trading down at all and l need looking to move up more than anything.

Below is just a swag at our 2 deep and where the draftees could slot in.  The OL slots are very crucial, especially after the injury bug issues we had last year. Also, the back up to Hamilton is BIG as I get the feeling we will be playing more of a 4 man front. The CB should be a versatile slot/man guy to back up Darby. This is why I view a WR as a nice to have. A wide receiver would have trouble getting on the field for major playing time. Now, they are in a position with the free agent acquisitions  (italics below) to be opportunistic if some superman falls to them. 

Offense
LT - Cam - Little
LG - Ezra - Draft pick
C - Morse - Fortner
RG - Sheriff - Tugboat
RT - Harrison - Draft pick
Tight Ends, QB we are fine.
WR - Gabe Davis - Zay Jones - Christian Kirk backed up by Cook, Duvernay, Washington and Jones

Defense
NT DaVon Hamilton - Draft Pick
DE  Arik Armstead - Tyler Lacy
DE Roy Robertson - Harris Adam Gotsis
WILL Josh Allen - Yasir Abdullah
SAM Travon Walker -Trevis Gipson
LB Foyesade Oluokun - Chad Muma
LB Devin Lloyd - Ventrell Miller
CB Darnell Savage - Christian Braswell
CB Tyson Campbell - Montaric Brown
CB Ronald Darby - Draft Pick
FS Andre Cisco - Daniel Thomas
SS Antonio Johnson - Andrew Wingard
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Not a chance. If one falls to 17, I'm fine with it. I'm actually more down with trading back if someone wants Thomas at #17 and the price is right.

Is there ANYONE else on the message board that remembers how bad we got stung by Justin Blackmon?

(03-30-2024, 04:06 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: Not a chance.  If one falls to 17, I'm fine with it.  I'm actually more down with trading back if someone wants Thomas at #17 and the price is right.

Is there ANYONE else on the message board that remembers how bad we got stung by Justin Blackmon?

That's because they failed to do their due diligence regarding his problem with alcohol. Blackmon would have been a multi-year pro-bowler without his demons.

(03-30-2024, 04:06 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: Not a chance.  If one falls to 17, I'm fine with it.  I'm actually more down with trading back if someone wants Thomas at #17 and the price is right.

So because the Jags whiffed on Blackmon because they did a poor job of looking into his background, that should prohibit them from drafting another WR early?

(03-30-2024, 08:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

So because the Jags whiffed on Blackmon because they did a poor job of looking into his background, that should prohibit them from drafting another WR early?

I'm not against drafting a WR early, nor should the Blackmon, Soward, or Jones experience prevent us from doing it.  What I AM against is trading away draft capital, especially in this draft, to do so.

And that's coming from a guy that actually likes Nabers and Odunze.  My favorite might be AD Mitchell but there are other players that would be a much better choice for the Jags at 17-28.  We can get one of those players and likely still get one of those on Caldrac's list.

Just watched some extensive film on all the top WRs and came out a little surprised by what I saw. I don’t watch much college football so been mostly reading about these guys, where MHJ is the consensus top receiver. I didn’t see it that way. He’s great at contested catches and has good hands but from what I saw, I’d put him 3rd. Come on, flame away I can take it! Honestly, he looked a lot like a better version of Allen Robinson.He is smooth and polished but Odunze and Nabers just look like more explosive and dominant receivers. Odunze’s hands are ridiculous to go with great body control and speed. I totally see the comps to Davante Adams. Nabers has quickness that just jumps out at you. Brian Thomas looks really really good too. What a great class of WRs!

(04-20-2024, 10:18 AM)Jags32250 Wrote: Just watched some extensive film on all the top WRs and came out a little surprised by what I saw. I don’t watch much college football so been mostly reading about these guys, where MHJ is the consensus top receiver. I didn’t see it that way. He’s great at contested catches and has good hands but from what I saw, I’d put him 3rd. Come on, flame away I can take it! Honestly, he looked a lot like a better version of Allen Robinson.He is smooth and polished but Odunze and Nabers just look like more explosive and dominant receivers. Odunze’s hands are ridiculous to go with great body control and speed. I totally see the comps to Davante Adams.  Nabers has quickness that just jumps out at you. Brian Thomas looks really really good too. What a great class of WRs!

Nabers has the highest grade on NFL.com.  I'm a little hesitant on him due to his quite frankly dumb comments to the Giants who may be selecting him on Thursday saying "I'd think they'd want to have a QB that can get me the ball" or something to that effect.  It maybe absolutely true what he said, but you don't say that when you might be teammates with Daniel Jones here in a few days.  That and he just kinda rubbed me wrong in an interview I watched of him.  It wasn't anything egregious, it just gives me pause on him.

I agree about MHJ not wowing me as I was expecting to be wowed when I turned on his highlights.  He's very good no doubt, but I don't think he's head and shoulders above Odunze or Nabers.  I really like Odunze all the way around and it would be MHJ and Odunze as 1a and 1b and Nabers behind them not because of anything I saw on field, but just because of the Giants thing and interview thing.

(04-20-2024, 12:12 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(04-20-2024, 10:18 AM)Jags32250 Wrote: Just watched some extensive film on all the top WRs and came out a little surprised by what I saw. I don’t watch much college football so been mostly reading about these guys, where MHJ is the consensus top receiver. I didn’t see it that way. He’s great at contested catches and has good hands but from what I saw, I’d put him 3rd. Come on, flame away I can take it! Honestly, he looked a lot like a better version of Allen Robinson.He is smooth and polished but Odunze and Nabers just look like more explosive and dominant receivers. Odunze’s hands are ridiculous to go with great body control and speed. I totally see the comps to Davante Adams.  Nabers has quickness that just jumps out at you. Brian Thomas looks really really good too. What a great class of WRs!

Nabers has the highest grade on NFL.com.  I'm a little hesitant on him due to his quite frankly dumb comments to the Giants who may be selecting him on Thursday saying "I'd think they'd want to have a QB that can get me the ball" or something to that effect.  It maybe absolutely true what he said, but you don't say that when you might be teammates with Daniel Jones here in a few days.  That and he just kinda rubbed me wrong in an interview I watched of him.  It wasn't anything egregious, it just gives me pause on him.

I agree about MHJ not wowing me as I was expecting to be wowed when I turned on his highlights.  He's very good no doubt, but I don't think he's head and shoulders above Odunze or Nabers.  I really like Odunze all the way around and it would be MHJ and Odunze as 1a and 1b and Nabers behind them not because of anything I saw on field, but just because of the Giants thing and interview thing.

I hadn’t heard about that. What a dumb [BLEEP]!

I'm a big Odunze mark. I would probably freak out if we drafted him.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Yes. Lawrence would benefit tremendously from a “cheat code” type of wr