Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Homes have become less affordable since Biden took office

This is YOUR economy Democrats........ You voted for it now.......... Hope you like it..........

How It Started... How It's Going: Homes have become less affordable since Biden took office

West and Northeast US remain areas where highest income needed to buy home

Homes in the United States have become increasingly unaffordable during President Biden’s term in office, with one study showing that buyers in nearly half of the 50 states needed a six-figure salary to afford a median-priced home in January.

While the Biden administration touts how it has "made progress" toward delivering the reality of homeownership for Americans nationwide, it also acknowledges that housing costs are still too high for many potential homeowners, calling it an "inherited" issue. (I call Male Bovine Droppings Biden)

As Biden nears the end of his term, however, a study by Bankrate shows that the number of states that require a six-figure salary to own a median-priced home has increased from six, plus Washington, D.C., in January 2020 – a full year before Biden took office – to 22 states plus the nation’s capital in January 2024. The study listed a median-priced home at $402,343 per real-estate brokerage Redfin.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/how-...ook-office
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

You mean to say the value of our homes has gone up under Biden?

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2024, 04:05 PM by Lucky2Last.)

This will happen under Republicans too, until they develop a backbone and start standing up to these corporations who are driving up rent and housing prices. I will say this could be alleviated by more housing, but a lot of this is manufactured.

(04-01-2024, 04:04 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: You mean to say the value of our homes has gone up under Biden?

Dude. You are such the problem.

(04-01-2024, 04:04 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: You mean to say the value of our homes has gone up under Biden?

If you like that, You'll just LOVE that Capital Gains Tax you'll get hit with if you sell..........
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2024, 04:24 PM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-01-2024, 04:05 PM)The Drifter Wrote:

If you like that, You'll just LOVE that Capital Gains Tax you'll get hit with if you sell..........

The only reason a person has to pay capital gains tax is if they had a capital gain.  This is not a bad thing.   

But otherwise, if you have a capital gain on the sale of your home, you can avoid the tax completely.  

Capital Gains Tax On Real Estate And Selling Your Home | Bankrate

"You can sell your primary residence and avoid paying capital gains taxes on the first $250,000 of your profits if your tax-filing status is single, and up to $500,000 if married and filing jointly. The exemption is only available once every two years. But it can, in effect, render the capital gains tax moot."

(04-01-2024, 04:05 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: This will happen under Republicans too, until they develop a backbone and start standing up to these corporations who are driving up rent and housing prices. I will say this could be alleviated by more housing, but a lot of this is manufactured.

You don't seem to believe in free markets at all.  If you stop rent and housing prices from going up, you would remove the incentive for people to build more houses.

You have an odd political position.  You say you support Trump, but you are actually to the left of Bernie Sanders.

You don't understand what Bernie Sanders wants to do, then.

(04-01-2024, 04:14 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-01-2024, 04:05 PM)The Drifter Wrote: If you like that, You'll just LOVE that Capital Gains Tax you'll get hit with if you sell..........

The only reason a person has to pay capital gains tax is if they had a capital gain.  This is not a bad thing.   

But otherwise, if you have a capital gain on the sale of your home, you can avoid the tax completely.  

"You can sell your primary residence and avoid paying capital gains taxes on the first $250,000 of your profits if your tax-filing status is single, and up to $500,000 if married and filing jointly. The exemption is only available once every two years. But it can, in effect, render the capital gains tax moot."

(04-01-2024, 04:05 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: This will happen under Republicans too, until they develop a backbone and start standing up to these corporations who are driving up rent and housing prices. I will say this could be alleviated by more housing, but a lot of this is manufactured.

You don't seem to believe in free markets at all.  If you stop rent and housing prices from going up, you would remove the incentive for people to build more houses.

You have an odd political position.  You say you support Trump, but you are actually to the left of Bernie Sanders.

Now do investment properties. You know, the ones investors actually rent out.

(04-01-2024, 08:39 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-01-2024, 04:14 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: The only reason a person has to pay capital gains tax is if they had a capital gain.  This is not a bad thing.   

The ones they rent out to gain income. If our government is to be financed by an income tax, various sources of income must be taxed as evenly as possible.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(04-01-2024, 08:39 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-01-2024, 04:14 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: The only reason a person has to pay capital gains tax is if they had a capital gain.  This is not a bad thing.   

You mean you are actually complaining about your investment gaining value?

(04-02-2024, 05:34 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-01-2024, 08:39 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Now do investment properties. You know, the ones investors actually rent out.

You mean you are actually complaining about your investment gaining value?

No, he's complaining about the inflation and housing market that makes his profits less valuable and the barrier to entry for a significant portion of Americans insurmountable.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-02-2024, 06:47 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-02-2024, 05:34 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: You mean you are actually complaining about your investment gaining value?

No, he's complaining about the inflation and housing market that makes his profits less valuable and the barrier to entry for a significant portion of Americans insurmountable.

I'm just pointing out that when asset prices go up with a Democrat in office, Republicans say things are getting more expensive, while Democrats say our investments are gaining value, but when asset prices go up with a Republican in office, Republicans say our investments are gaining value while Democrats say things are getting more expensive.

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2024, 10:56 AM by StroudCrowd1. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-02-2024, 06:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-02-2024, 06:47 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No, he's complaining about the inflation and housing market that makes his profits less valuable and the barrier to entry for a significant portion of Americans insurmountable.

I'm just pointing out that when asset prices go up with a Democrat in office, Republicans say things are getting more expensive, while Democrats say our investments are gaining value, but when asset prices go up with a Republican in office, Republicans say our investments are gaining value while Democrats say things are getting more expensive.

I was also referring to you pointing out not having to pay capital gains on primary residence. This is nothing new, but also does nothing for investors.  The only tax tool a real estate  investor has for not getting boar hogged  by Uncle Sam is a 1031 exchange which is also risky and forces you to find a property quickly. Capital gains are a sham all around. Someone making money off a RISK they have zero involvement in shouldn't entitle the government to a cut. The only thing more scandalous than this is lottery income tax.

The median home price actually went down in 2023 but mortgages actually got less affordable, due to increased interest rates. So as much as I'd love to say "har har don't complain about asset prices going up" it is more complicated than that and no one's winning but banks and people with cash to invest.

That said, the inflation and the need to increase interest rates, the blame for all of that dates back to every President after Clinton.

(04-02-2024, 07:50 AM)mikesez Wrote: The median home price actually went down in 2023 but mortgages actually got less affordable, due to increased interest rates.  So as much as I'd love to say "har har don't complain about asset prices going up" it is more complicated than that and no one's winning but banks and people with cash to invest.

That said, the inflation and the need to increase interest rates, the blame for all of that dates back to every President after Clinton.

I hate to break the news to you, but when interest rates rise, bank profits go down, not up.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(04-02-2024, 08:04 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(04-02-2024, 07:50 AM)mikesez Wrote: The median home price actually went down in 2023 but mortgages actually got less affordable, due to increased interest rates.  So as much as I'd love to say "har har don't complain about asset prices going up" it is more complicated than that and no one's winning but banks and people with cash to invest.

I hate to break the news to you, but when interest rates rise, bank profits go down, not up.

That depends on how many low interest rate loans were already on their books.

(04-01-2024, 04:05 PM)The Drifter Wrote:

Lol ..... so, one is supposed to hope their house drops in value so they don't have to pay capital gains tax if they sell ?  This is good to know because I was wondering how to reduce my net worth.

(04-02-2024, 10:53 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(04-01-2024, 04:05 PM)The Drifter Wrote: If you like that, You'll just LOVE that Capital Gains Tax you'll get hit with if you sell..........

Lol ..... so, one is supposed to hope their house drops in value so they don't have to pay capital gains tax if they sell ?  This is good to know because I was wondering how to reduce my net worth.

You will still have to complete all the house sale paperwork and deal with moving the furniture.  If it helps you out, feel free to just mail me a check.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

/sigh

Obviously, people want their homes to increase in value. That's great for people WITH homes. In a capitalist society, you want limited barriers to entry. This artificial housing crisis is creating barriers to entry by not making new houses and making existing houses less available. It's also simultaneously driving up rent.

(04-02-2024, 01:59 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: /sigh

Obviously, people want their homes to increase in value. That's great for people WITH homes. In a capitalist society, you want limited barriers to entry. This artificial housing crisis is creating barriers to entry by not making new houses and making existing houses less available. It's also simultaneously driving up rent.

It's wonderful that their properties are increasing in value.

It's not good that interest rates are decimating purchasing power. 

If they go to sell and cannot find a buyer except for an investment conglomerate it's bad for all of us.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato