Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Biden to defy Supreme Court

Like always, the Democrats are willing to say "The Hell with the law!"

Biden to defy Supreme Court in second attempt at sweeping student loan handout

The Biden administration is reportedly scrambling to push through widespread loan forgiveness ahead of the election

The Biden administration is reportedly preparing to take a second crack at broad student loan forgiveness for millions of Americans after the Supreme Court struck down its first attempt.

Citing people familiar, The Wall Street Journal reported Friday that the administration will roll out proposed regulations offering sweeping bailouts as early as next week, and "the president’s advisers hope to use the rules to begin canceling waves of student debt in the run-up to the November election."

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/bid...an-handout
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The issue was how they chose to do it last time, this time they are following the rules. The USSC ruled on the "how", not the "why" of the issue.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

The deadbeats having their debt wiped out will get themselves into more trouble down the road with their bad decision making that the government won't be able to bail them out of.

Karma has a way.

It’s vote buying time.

(04-06-2024, 08:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The issue was how they chose to do it last time, this time they are following the rules. The USSC ruled on the "how", not the "why" of the issue.

Don't turn into another liberal now with all of this facts and context
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(04-07-2024, 12:39 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-06-2024, 08:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The issue was how they chose to do it last time, this time they are following the rules. The USSC ruled on the "how", not the "why" of the issue.

Don't turn into another liberal now with all of this facts and context

Meh, I do some work with the rules making process in health care every year. When Cardona followed the process he's been successful at getting the debt revoked. Debunking some these Drifter threads has been part of the fun around here for years.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Regardless of whether it's legal or not to do this, it's a terrible idea. People who take on debt willingly should have to pay it back. Forgiving debts is not fair to people who pay their debts.

(04-06-2024, 09:14 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: The deadbeats having their debt wiped out will get themselves into more trouble down the road with their bad decision making that the government won't be able to bail them out of.

Karma has a way.

Man, you really despise your fellow citizens, don't you.

(04-07-2024, 07:53 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Regardless of whether it's legal or not to do this, it's a terrible idea.  People who take on debt willingly should have to pay it back.  Forgiving debts is not fair to people who pay their debts.

What needs to change is the system. Just because earlier generations got [BLEEP] over doesn't mean we should keep letting it happen.

(04-07-2024, 07:54 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-06-2024, 09:14 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: The deadbeats having their debt wiped out will get themselves into more trouble down the road with their bad decision making that the government won't be able to bail them out of.

Karma has a way.

Man, you really despise your fellow citizens, don't you.

(04-07-2024, 07:53 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Regardless of whether it's legal or not to do this, it's a terrible idea.  People who take on debt willingly should have to pay it back.  Forgiving debts is not fair to people who pay their debts.

What needs to change is the system. Just because earlier generations got [BLEEP] over doesn't mean we should keep letting it happen.

Who got [BLEEP] over exactly? Were you a beneficiary of this crookery?

Getting [BLEEP] over for some mealworms seems to be having to pay back loans that they contractually agreed to. Oh the humanity!! Damn succubus.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(04-07-2024, 08:47 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-07-2024, 07:54 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Man, you really despise your fellow citizens, don't you.

Who got [BLEEP] over exactly? Were you a beneficiary of this crookery?

No, i simply don't believe that we should charge people 7% interest to get a college education. Sorry that pisses you off so much.

(04-07-2024, 10:38 AM)Jagwired Wrote: Getting [BLEEP] over for some mealworms seems to be having to pay back loans that they contractually agreed to. Oh the humanity!! Damn succubus.

Yeah, having to go into decades worth of debt to pay for an education is really stupid. An educated populace is a national security interest; I get that lots of you folks don't understand that, but we're falling behind the rest of the 1st world in ways that threaten our place at the top. That we screw over our citizens, especially our young ones just starting out, so the banks and corporations can flourish will always be something I oppose.

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2024, 02:15 PM by StroudCrowd1. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-07-2024, 01:07 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-07-2024, 08:47 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Who got [BLEEP] over exactly? Were you a beneficiary of this crookery?

No, i simply don't believe that we should charge people 7% interest to get a college education. Sorry that pisses you off so much.

(04-07-2024, 10:38 AM)Jagwired Wrote: Getting [BLEEP] over for some mealworms seems to be having to pay back loans that they contractually agreed to. Oh the humanity!! Damn succubus.

Yeah, having to go into decades worth of debt to pay for an education is really stupid. An educated populace is a national security interest; I get that lots of you folks don't understand that, but we're falling behind the rest of the 1st world in ways that threaten our place at the top. That we screw over our citizens, especially our young ones just starting out, so the banks and corporations can flourish will always be something I oppose.

But it's ok for a house? What is a fair interest rate in your eyes? Maybe attacking the 30% APR of credit cards that impact a demographic broader than those with political science degrees would be a better approach?

Would 0% make you happy? Just trying to figure out what pleases a person that is right all the time.

Also, national security interest? LOL!

The problem comes from the government guaranteeing student loans. If the government did not guarantee student loans, then banks and lenders would take a lot closer look at the ability of people to pay them back. It would also put downward pressure on the price of a college education, since the government would no longer be throwing money at student tuition.

But the bottom line is, the students need to be aware of what they are getting into, and how long it will take them to pay back the loans. Some of them act like they had no idea. Which is ridiculous, because being college students, they are supposed to be smart enough to understand basic math.

(04-07-2024, 02:13 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-07-2024, 01:07 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No, i simply don't believe that we should charge people 7% interest to get a college education. Sorry that pisses you off so much.

But it's ok for a house? What is a fair interest rate in your eyes? Maybe attacking the 30% APR of credit cards that impact a demographic broader than those with political science degrees would be a better approach?

Would 0% make you happy? Just trying to figure out what pleases a person that is right all the time.

I'd be ok with attacking those credit cards as well, it's not binary. And yes, if the government is providing the loans for education then interest free is the way to go, along with caps on tuition and fees for institutions that accept that federal money. We could actually leverage the power of the federal government for the benefit of our people rather than the banks. Turning 2 generations of school children into debt slaves in order to get a college education was not a good idea; I'm sorry you can't see that. And it was Thomas Jefferson who was first expressed concern about the education of America society, so I'm sure you'll be happy to LOL at him too. Puts me in rather good company.

(04-07-2024, 02:23 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: The problem comes from the government guaranteeing student loans.  If the government did not guarantee student loans, then banks and lenders would take a lot closer look at the ability of people to pay them back.  It would also put downward pressure on the price of a college education, since the government would no longer be throwing money at student tuition. 

But the bottom line is, the students need to be aware of what they are getting into, and how long it will take them to pay back the loans.  Some of them act like they had no idea.  Which is ridiculous, because being college students, they are supposed to be smart enough to understand basic math.

And so long as lenders are needed to pay for education then many if not most Americans will have the road to college blocked by purely financial interests.

(04-07-2024, 02:23 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-07-2024, 02:13 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: But it's ok for a house? What is a fair interest rate in your eyes? Maybe attacking the 30% APR of credit cards that impact a demographic broader than those with political science degrees would be a better approach?

I'd be ok with attacking those credit cards as well, it's not binary. And yes, if the government is providing the loans for education then interest free is the way to go, along with caps on tuition and fees for institutions that accept that federal money. We could actually leverage the power of the federal government for the benefit of our people rather than the banks. Turning 2 generations of school children into debt slaves in order to get a college education was not a good idea; I'm sorry you can't see that. And it was Thomas Jefferson who was first expressed concern about the education of America society, so I'm sure you'll be happy to LOL at him too. Puts me in rather good company.

I love how you have placed zero responsibility on the borrower in all of this. It's all the college's fault. You just agreed that 0% interest would be the way to go, yet you skipped it in lieu of complete forgiveness. 

No idea what your TJ reference meant. You implied a bunch of leeches with useless skill sets in debt is a national security issue. 

You clearly want the federal government to be your daddy, so you do you,.

I think we all agree the cost of higher education is too expensive and that is the real issue. The next issue is stop looking down on trade schools. I am amazed that many liberal arts degrees that offer zero ability to recover the cost are exalted while society looks down on the plumber, the carpenter, the electrician and in general the people that actually make life for us all better day to day. Let alone the fact that universities have become an indoctrination center where a dissenting view is shouted down.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2024, 03:47 PM by StroudCrowd1. Edited 2 times in total.)

(04-07-2024, 02:47 PM)copycat Wrote: I think we all agree the cost of higher education is too expensive and that is the real issue.  The next issue is stop looking down on trade schools.  I am amazed that many liberal arts degrees that offer zero ability to recover the cost are exalted while society looks down on the plumber, the carpenter, the electrician and in general the people that actually make life for us all better day to day.  Let alone the fact that universities have become an indoctrination center where a dissenting  view is shouted down.

Mike Rowe is a great source for trade schools.  He even offers 1M worth of scholarships as well. I think society is turning a corner on trades being frowned upon. Unfortunately,  the people FSG wants to bail out feel entitled to employment that is in-line with their failed degrees and would still frown upon trade school even after being fed off the government boob.

(04-07-2024, 02:34 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-07-2024, 02:23 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I'd be ok with attacking those credit cards as well, it's not binary. And yes, if the government is providing the loans for education then interest free is the way to go, along with caps on tuition and fees for institutions that accept that federal money. We could actually leverage the power of the federal government for the benefit of our people rather than the banks. Turning 2 generations of school children into debt slaves in order to get a college education was not a good idea; I'm sorry you can't see that. And it was Thomas Jefferson who was first expressed concern about the education of America society, so I'm sure you'll be happy to LOL at him too. Puts me in rather good company.

I love how you have placed zero responsibility on the borrower in all of this. It's all the college's fault. You just agreed that 0% interest would be the way to go, yet you skipped it in lieu of complete forgiveness. 

No idea what your TJ reference meant. You implied a bunch of leeches with useless skill sets in debt is a national security issue. 

I didn't say anything about complete forgiveness, you just assumed it and started calling people names. Maybe you should take some classes and then you'd understand what Jefferson means to this conversation. I simply don't want people to be in debt to the federal government for 20 to 30 years because that's what they had to do to pay for a college education. The best way to make that happen from here is for the federal government to both reduce outstanding debts and take steps to stop universities from creating them. Or we can keep doing what we're doing and either have another generation in debt for life or the option of a college education only available to the upper class who can afford it.

"All the States but our own are sensible that knowledge is power." - Jefferson

(04-07-2024, 03:37 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-07-2024, 02:34 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I love how you have placed zero responsibility on the borrower in all of this. It's all the college's fault. You just agreed that 0% interest would be the way to go, yet you skipped it in lieu of complete forgiveness. 

I didn't say anything about complete forgiveness, you just assumed it and started calling people names. Maybe you should take some classes and then you'd understand what Jefferson means to this conversation. I simply don't want people to be in debt to the federal government for 20 to 30 years because that's what they had to do to pay for a college education. The best way to make that happen from here is for the federal government to both reduce outstanding debts and take steps to stop universities from creating them. Or we can keep doing what we're doing and either have another generation in debt for life or the option of a college education only available to the upper class who can afford it.

Just out of curiosity,  how many non-college educated individuals do you hire at your place of employment? Gonna assume not many, but curious to hear.

How do you suggest the federal government "stop" universities from creating student debt? Who determines the fair price of an education? Do you want the government to determine that?

(04-07-2024, 04:01 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-07-2024, 03:37 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I didn't say anything about complete forgiveness, you just assumed it and started calling people names. Maybe you should take some classes and then you'd understand what Jefferson means to this conversation. I simply don't want people to be in debt to the federal government for 20 to 30 years because that's what they had to do to pay for a college education. The best way to make that happen from here is for the federal government to both reduce outstanding debts and take steps to stop universities from creating them. Or we can keep doing what we're doing and either have another generation in debt for life or the option of a college education only available to the upper class who can afford it.

Just out of curiosity,  how many non-college educated individuals do you hire at your place of employment? Gonna assume not many, but curious to hear.

How do you suggest the federal government "stop" universities from creating student debt? Who determines the fair price of an education? Do you want the government to determine that?

My organization has over 15,000 people employed, roughly 65% have a college education as you would demand of a health care organization. In my division where we do administrative work we have a 15/85 split of college degree to non-college degree among 280 or so people. 

And absolutely, if the government is going to hand money over to the universities then they can damn well set the price of tuition. Governor DeSantis is doing some very good work in this area in our state, with the intent to provide a "quality, affordable education" unfettered by "ideological activists and political organizations determining what they should learn."