Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Biden to defy Supreme Court

(04-08-2024, 09:06 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-08-2024, 08:53 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: So, no specific solution? Just pointing out a broad sweeping issue we should throw money at with no proposed plan. Man, you really are officially a liberal, lol. The band-aid on a gaping wound approach has proven to work. 

I'll help you out. It starts at home with the parents.

And you're an idiot if you think that's what I'm saying. We can A. institute a zero interest repayment for all open balances immediately. B. Pass federal legislation to incentivize state governments to follow the path that RDS is currently pursuing, and C. Use federal loan system leverage to force universities to a. control costs and b. spend their endowments on reducing costs to current students. But nah, you're just more about making sure that college kids suffer their bad choice to pursue a college education because they're nothing but despised blue hair leftists in your little mind. That really helps the country out a bunch. Mr. "It's the parent's fault" is the one who has no [BLEEP] clue of anything to do that's useful to solving the problem.
Sheeeeesh

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-08-2024, 09:06 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-08-2024, 08:53 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: So, no specific solution? Just pointing out a broad sweeping issue we should throw money at with no proposed plan. Man, you really are officially a liberal, lol. The band-aid on a gaping wound approach has proven to work. 

I'll help you out. It starts at home with the parents.

And you're an idiot if you think that's what I'm saying. We can A. institute a zero interest repayment for all open balances immediately. B. Pass federal legislation to incentivize state governments to follow the path that RDS is currently pursuing, and C. Use federal loan system leverage to force universities to a. control costs and b. spend their endowments on reducing costs to current students. But nah, you're just more about making sure that college kids suffer their bad choice to pursue a college education because they're nothing but despised blue hair leftists in your little mind. That really helps the country out a bunch. Mr. "It's the parent's fault" is the one who has no [BLEEP] clue of anything to do that's useful to solving the problem.

Angry elf this AM! So do you want zero interest or forgiveness? How much forgiveness is adequate? 50%? 75%? You are talking out of both sides here. How will you reward the people who did right and paid back their loan? Do they get reimbursed?

Also, I love the part where you suggest the federal government FORCE universities.  We all know you love the government forcing things.

Bottom line, the government breaks everything they touch, and you want more of it. No thanks.

(04-08-2024, 09:50 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/statu...YPc6g&s=19

Disgusting!!

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(04-08-2024, 09:53 AM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(04-08-2024, 09:50 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/statu...YPc6g&s=19

Disgusting!!

The kids who got roped into borrowing money for their extracurricular activities with some school sprinkled in between deserve it though. Nothing like buying votes with our money!

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2024, 11:07 AM by Jagwired. Edited 1 time in total.)

Watch any one of a thousand of these videos to know that there are far to many kids already in our government financed indoctrination centers. They are far from even being close to prepared for normal college level classes. The system is failed long before college.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(04-08-2024, 09:33 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-08-2024, 09:06 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: And you're an idiot if you think that's what I'm saying. We can A. institute a zero interest repayment for all open balances immediately. B. Pass federal legislation to incentivize state governments to follow the path that RDS is currently pursuing, and C. Use federal loan system leverage to force universities to a. control costs and b. spend their endowments on reducing costs to current students. But nah, you're just more about making sure that college kids suffer their bad choice to pursue a college education because they're nothing but despised blue hair leftists in your little mind. That really helps the country out a bunch. Mr. "It's the parent's fault" is the one who has no [BLEEP] clue of anything to do that's useful to solving the problem.

Angry elf this AM! So do you want zero interest or forgiveness? How much forgiveness is adequate? 50%? 75%? You are talking out of both sides here. How will you reward the people who did right and paid back their loan? Do they get reimbursed?

Also, I love the part where you suggest the federal government FORCE universities.  We all know you love the government forcing things.

Bottom line, the government breaks everything they touch, and you want more of it. No thanks.

You need a reading comprehension class, I did not mention forgiveness at all. A zero interest program gets students to repay what they borrowed without chaining them to 7% interest for 20 years. That's feasible and fair. And did you know that all of those people who paid off their loans did so at significantly lower interest rates and paid off significantly lower expenses back when it didn't cost 30k to get a BA at a state school? And gee, you survived cancer, it's not fair that we can stop other people from getting it! Let's be sure everyone has to suffer, no matter what it's doing to our citizenry and economy...[BLEEP] brilliant. The government owns education now and you and I both know we'll never decouple it. Thank the 60s Conservative who decided that the poors shouldn't have access to college and created this whole problem to begin with. You should ask yourself why for 200 years education was a public good but all of a sudden getting an education was changed to be seen as a private interest (hint...political wedge issues play in Peoria). The best we can do at the moment is push it to work on our behalf rather than the banks; or just keep pushing our young people into financial ruin and economic indentured servitude on behalf of corporate interests.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-08-2024, 10:41 AM)Jagwired Wrote: Watch any one of a thousand of these videos to know that there are far to many kids already in our government financed indoctrination centers. They are far from even being close to prepared for normal college level classes. The system is failed long before college.

Interesting, they got a lot more right than I thought they would for "general knowledge" questions that were almost all about history.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-08-2024, 11:18 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-08-2024, 09:33 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Angry elf this AM! So do you want zero interest or forgiveness? How much forgiveness is adequate? 50%? 75%? You are talking out of both sides here. How will you reward the people who did right and paid back their loan? Do they get reimbursed?

You need a reading comprehension class, I did not mention forgiveness at all. A zero interest program gets students to repay what they borrowed without chaining them to 7% interest for 20 years. That's feasible and fair. And did you know that all of those people who paid off their loans did so at significantly lower interest rates and paid off significantly lower expenses back when it didn't cost 30k to get a BA at a state school? And gee, you survived cancer, it's not fair that we can stop other people from getting it! Let's be sure everyone has to suffer, no matter what it's doing to our citizenry and economy...[BLEEP] brilliant. The government owns education now and you and I both know we'll never decouple it. Thank the 60s Conservative who decided that the poors shouldn't have access to college and created this whole problem to begin with. You should ask yourself why for 200 years education was a public good but all of a sudden getting an education was changed to be seen as a private interest (hint...political wedge issues play in Peoria). The best we can do at the moment is push it to work on our behalf rather than the banks; or just keep pushing our young people into financial ruin and economic indentured servitude on behalf of corporate interests.

There is nothing politically advantageous about cutting rates and keeping the borrower on the hook to pay back their loan.

(04-08-2024, 11:45 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-08-2024, 11:18 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You need a reading comprehension class, I did not mention forgiveness at all. A zero interest program gets students to repay what they borrowed without chaining them to 7% interest for 20 years. That's feasible and fair. And did you know that all of those people who paid off their loans did so at significantly lower interest rates and paid off significantly lower expenses back when it didn't cost 30k to get a BA at a state school? And gee, you survived cancer, it's not fair that we can stop other people from getting it! Let's be sure everyone has to suffer, no matter what it's doing to our citizenry and economy...[BLEEP] brilliant. The government owns education now and you and I both know we'll never decouple it. Thank the 60s Conservative who decided that the poors shouldn't have access to college and created this whole problem to begin with. You should ask yourself why for 200 years education was a public good but all of a sudden getting an education was changed to be seen as a private interest (hint...political wedge issues play in Peoria). The best we can do at the moment is push it to work on our behalf rather than the banks; or just keep pushing our young people into financial ruin and economic indentured servitude on behalf of corporate interests.

There is nothing politically advantageous about cutting rates and keeping the borrower on the hook to pay back their loan.

Sure there is, it's just better for them as a wedge issue so they can keep you and me at each other's throats over something we should be approaching collaboratively.

FSG, is what you're proposing aligned with what's being proposed by the government?

(04-08-2024, 03:09 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: FSG, is what you're proposing aligned with what's being proposed by the government?

Not that I know of, the Biden proposal is still mostly just erasure for people who've been making payments for 20 years and haven't paid off the debt, those who should've qualified for SLFP but were denied because it's a terribly administered program, and those who cannot continue paying due to various types of hardship. The key driver in this one is the forgiveness of unpaid interest up to $20k means tested to those making under $120k per year.

The government could just tell them they'll repay their debt with military service. They may be willing to pay their loans off if that's the option.

(04-08-2024, 09:58 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: The government could just tell them they'll repay their debt with military service. They may be willing to pay their loans off if that's the option.

Does the military have room for even 1 million of the 44 million affected people that might take that offer? I don't see how it would be more cost effective that way, the military will still have to pay them a salary and the cost of living. I finished college at 36 years old and was married with two teenagers and a pregnant wife, would they want me at that age? The average college grad in 2022 was 26.4 years old, would they want someone that age? I'm not opposed to the idea, but does it make sense in light of those questions?

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2024, 07:55 AM by Lucky2Last.)

I have no problem with the idea of interest free debt, provided the people are not making over "x" amount. The debt still needs to be paid off. It could even come out of tax rebates (since you know these people are probably getting money back at the end of the year). I think it's pointless without fixing the problem: namely, universities are not preparing kids for a future in the work force, and we shouldn't be sending kids off for an "experience." College needs to have extrinsic value. It's why one pays so much to go there.

Unpopular opinion: If we're going to have government backed loans, universities should be on the hook for future interest if their students aren't making sufficient money. That would solve the problem overnight.

(04-09-2024, 07:54 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I have no problem with the idea of interest free debt, provided the people are not making over "x" amount. The debt still needs to be paid off. It could even come out of tax rebates (since you know these people are probably getting money back at the end of the year). I think it's pointless without fixing the problem: namely, universities are not preparing kids for a future in the work force, and we shouldn't be sending kids off for an "experience." College needs to have extrinsic value. It's why one pays so much to go there.

Unpopular opinion: If we're going to have government backed loans, universities should be on the hook for future interest if their students aren't making sufficient money. That would solve the problem overnight.

I don't know why that opinion would be unpopular, it's reasonable and puts some of the onus on the institution.

(04-07-2024, 07:54 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-06-2024, 09:14 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: The deadbeats having their debt wiped out will get themselves into more trouble down the road with their bad decision making that the government won't be able to bail them out of.

Karma has a way.

Man, you really despise your fellow citizens, don't you.

(04-07-2024, 07:53 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Regardless of whether it's legal or not to do this, it's a terrible idea.  People who take on debt willingly should have to pay it back.  Forgiving debts is not fair to people who pay their debts.

What needs to change is the system. Just because earlier generations got [BLEEP] over doesn't mean we should keep letting it happen.

Totally agree with StroudCrowd1 and The Real Marty.  There are several options to obtain a reasonably valued college education in each state, and many of those options are actually better educations.  For example, if someone decides to go to the University of Miami, Rollins, or Stetson (~$60k/year) instead of going to a state school (Florida, FSU, UCF, USF, UNF, FSCG) at less than $10k/year, they need to own up and pay accordingly.   We all have options in life, some as simple as buying Boars Head or Winn Dixie brand lunch meat so we need to make decisions that are affordable to our income or potential income levels and live with the consequences.

This is absolutely the Dems attempt to Buy Votes .....

(04-09-2024, 09:23 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(04-07-2024, 07:54 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Man, you really despise your fellow citizens, don't you.

What needs to change is the system. Just because earlier generations got [BLEEP] over doesn't mean we should keep letting it happen.

Totally agree with StroudCrowd1 and The Real Marty.  There are several options to obtain a reasonably valued college education in each state, and many of those options are actually better educations.  For example, if someone decides to go to the University of Miami, Rollins, or Stetson (~$60k/year) instead of going to a state school (Florida, FSU, UCF, USF, UNF, FSCG) at less than $10k/year, they need to own up and pay accordingly.   We all have options in life, some as simple as buying Boars Head or Winn Dixie brand lunch meat so we need to make decisions that are affordable to our income or potential income levels and live with the consequences.

Sure, I don't disagree. My issue is that students who spend $40k for the education end up paying 3 times that before it's paid off because of how we've structured the system to benefit the banks and corporations before and the government now. I'm fine with pay back what you borrow, the usury system for education needs to change.

(04-09-2024, 11:18 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-09-2024, 09:23 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Totally agree with StroudCrowd1 and The Real Marty.  There are several options to obtain a reasonably valued college education in each state, and many of those options are actually better educations.  For example, if someone decides to go to the University of Miami, Rollins, or Stetson (~$60k/year) instead of going to a state school (Florida, FSU, UCF, USF, UNF, FSCG) at less than $10k/year, they need to own up and pay accordingly.   We all have options in life, some as simple as buying Boars Head or Winn Dixie brand lunch meat so we need to make decisions that are affordable to our income or potential income levels and live with the consequences.

Sure, I don't disagree. My issue is that students who spend $40k for the education end up paying 3 times that before it's paid off because of how we've structured the system to benefit the banks and corporations before and the government now. I'm fine with pay back what you borrow, the usury system for education needs to change.

Curious if you this sympathetic to all types of variable rate loans, or just student?

(04-09-2024, 11:59 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-09-2024, 11:18 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Sure, I don't disagree. My issue is that students who spend $40k for the education end up paying 3 times that before it's paid off because of how we've structured the system to benefit the banks and corporations before and the government now. I'm fine with pay back what you borrow, the usury system for education needs to change.

Curious if you this sympathetic to all types of variable rate loans, or just student?

Just student, do you see those other industries hand 17 year old kids $50k on a signature after selling them for years that college is the ticket out of the ghetto? They did something similar in the Easy Money period of the mortgage industry and what happened? Recessional catastrophe. As I said, we have a national interest in having an educated citizenry. Our very liberties are dependant on it. "Talent and virtue, needed in a free society, should be educated regardless of wealth, birth, or other accidental condition. That other children of the poor must thus be educated at common expense." Selling an education should not be a money making scheme for the government.