Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Biden to defy Supreme Court

(04-09-2024, 01:11 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-09-2024, 11:59 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Curious if you this sympathetic to all types of variable rate loans, or just student?

Just student, do you see those other industries hand 17 year old kids $50k on a signature after selling them for years that college is the ticket out of the ghetto? They did something similar in the Easy Money period of the mortgage industry and what happened? Recessional catastrophe. As I said, we have a national interest in having an educated citizenry. Our very liberties are dependant on it. "Talent and virtue, needed in a free society, should be educated regardless of wealth, birth, or other accidental condition. That other children of the poor must thus be educated at common expense." Selling an education should not be a money making scheme for the government.

I'd rather have intelligent citizenry.

Id say at least 40% of College educated people are irredeemably stupid. Just go to any college campus for proof lol

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-09-2024, 01:32 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(04-09-2024, 01:11 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Just student, do you see those other industries hand 17 year old kids $50k on a signature after selling them for years that college is the ticket out of the ghetto? They did something similar in the Easy Money period of the mortgage industry and what happened? Recessional catastrophe. As I said, we have a national interest in having an educated citizenry. Our very liberties are dependant on it. "Talent and virtue, needed in a free society, should be educated regardless of wealth, birth, or other accidental condition. That other children of the poor must thus be educated at common expense." Selling an education should not be a money making scheme for the government.

I'd rather have intelligent citizenry.

Id say at least 40% of College educated people are irredeemably stupid. Just go to any college campus for proof lol

I'm sure you were a wonderfully complete person full of wisdom and brilliance in your late teenage years.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We get to pay her student loans. What a deal!

https://youtube.com/shorts/CjSvCPiMGXw?s...YcGSdVFhtf

(04-09-2024, 08:09 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: We get to pay her student loans. What a deal!

Paying off her loan is a matter of national security.

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2024, 08:26 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

It makes no sense to just pay off some loans without also making sure the next generation of students doesn't have the same problem and need a special favor from a President to fix it.
It makes no sense, that is, unless there is an intent to make this a votes for money issue forever.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(04-09-2024, 08:24 PM)mikesez Wrote: It makes no sense to just pay off some loans without also making sure the next generation of students doesn't have the same problem and need a special favor from a President to fix it.
It makes no sense, that is, unless there is an intent to make this a votes for money issue forever.

Do you honestly believe they’re thinking beyond this election?

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2024, 09:33 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-09-2024, 08:46 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(04-09-2024, 08:24 PM)mikesez Wrote: It makes no sense to just pay off some loans without also making sure the next generation of students doesn't have the same problem and need a special favor from a President to fix it.

Do you honestly believe they’re thinking beyond this election?

I'm saying it's possible. Perhaps it's nothing more than Congress being too incompetent to try to fix it going forward but perhaps not.
The other thing I suspect is even what was just announced, is not going to be fully executed for most of the borrowers until after the election.  I think Biden wants to say that Trump will bring their debts back if he wins.

Of course the intent is to make it a votes for money issue forever.  Bernie and others have been pushing free college for years.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Holy [BLEEP]. I found common ground with Mike. 

Queue Twilight Zone theme...

(04-08-2024, 10:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-08-2024, 09:58 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: The government could just tell them they'll repay their debt with military service. They may be willing to pay their loans off if that's the option.

Does the military have room for even 1 million of the 44 million affected people that might take that offer? I don't see how it would be more cost effective that way, the military will still have to pay them a salary and the cost of living. I finished college at 36 years old and was married with two teenagers and a pregnant wife, would they want me at that age? The average college grad in 2022 was 26.4 years old, would they want someone that age? I'm not opposed to the idea, but does it make sense in light of those questions?

I read today the top five universities will cost $90K. That's absurd.

There are plenty of people who go into the armed forces to pay for their education. They go to college on Uncle Sam and go into the military as officers to serve their time. 

There are too many ways higher education and the government sponge off of each other for anyone to end that relationship. Similar to politicians and lobbyists. The government would rather forgive loans than piss off these indoctrination centers.

(04-09-2024, 09:07 PM)Sneakers Wrote:

Of course the intent is to make it a votes for money issue forever.  Bernie and others have been pushing free college for years.

Bernie is an idealist.  He wants all students who lack cash to enter college knowing they'll be fine. That doesn't really buy votes because the folks that hope the program is around for them are 16 and 17 years old , not voting yet, and the folks who got it and will vote may not care if the next in line get theirs too.  

The elite play is to set up a constituency that needs you to stay in office forever.  It's what Republicans did to the evangelicals with abortion.

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2024, 06:59 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

If the government stops guaranteeing student loans, I believe that will force a lot of universities to deal with the spiraling cost of education at their institution.

There are routes a student can take if they can't get a student loan.  UNF, which is a very fine school, charges $175 per credit hour.  Harvard charges almost 10 times that much.  But I'd bet you'd get about the same education at UNF that you would get at Harvard.

I should add, there are many countries where bachelor's degrees are basically free. But these countries have stricter admissions requirements. You have to have good test scores, and you have to pick your program and stick with it before they let you start classes. They may tell you, when they get your application, that they'll let you major in nursing but not medicine, or math but not engineering. And if you fail out you probably won't get a second chance. When a highly educated, europe-idolizing progressive like Bernie says he wants free college, this is probably what he's envisioning. The free part might sound nice. The strict part, where kids who had problems growing up will never even get a chance to try, goes completely against what public college in the US is supposed to be about.

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2024, 07:28 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

(04-10-2024, 06:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: If the government stops guaranteeing student loans, I believe that will force a lot of universities to deal with the spiraling cost of education at their institution.

There are routes a student can take if they can't get a student loan.  UNF, which is a very fine school, charges $175 per credit hour.  Harvard charges almost 10 times that much.  But I'd bet you'd get about the same education at UNF that you would get at Harvard.

Another problem are employers who put more value in that credit hour from Harvard than UNF. Having said that, I still wouldn't send my kid to Harvard these days even if it were free.

(04-10-2024, 07:17 AM)mikesez Wrote: I should add, there are many countries where bachelor's degrees are basically free. But these countries have stricter admissions requirements.  You have to have good test scores, and you have to pick your program and stick with it before they let you start classes.  They may tell you, when they get your application, that they'll let you major in nursing but not medicine, or math but not engineering.  And if you fail out you probably won't get a second chance.  When a highly educated, europe-idolizing progressive like Bernie says he wants free college, this is probably what he's envisioning.  The free part might sound nice.  The strict part, where kids who had problems growing up will never even get a chance to try, goes completely against what public college in the US is supposed to be about.

He isn't that smart.

(04-10-2024, 06:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: If the government stops guaranteeing student loans, I believe that will force a lot of universities to deal with the spiraling cost of education at their institution.

The guaranteed loans are the source of spiraling college costs, which I believe you’re saying. They just keep marking everything up because Uncle Sam keeps laying out. 

The same could be said for textbooks as well. It’s ridiculous. They’ll release a new edition every year with minor editing which doesn’t really affect the content and then charge $300 or more for it. It’s all turned into a government funded scam.

The almighty dollar corrupts everything. The government getting involved corrupts it worse.

(04-10-2024, 09:06 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: The almighty dollar corrupts everything. The government getting involved corrupts it worse.

Money doesn’t corrupt. Far from it. It’s the currency of reward for innovation, service and enterprise. A currency each individual controls by where they spend and earn it.

Corruption occurs when our control is lost to an entity which spends our collective currency for its idealized purposes.

(04-09-2024, 08:09 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: We get to pay her student loans. What a deal!

That is just a reflection of the sorry state the education system is thanks to the Teachers Unions.
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(04-10-2024, 10:11 AM)The Drifter Wrote:

That is just a reflection of the sorry state the education system is thanks to the Teachers Unions.

I like to post videos of this idiocy but to be fair, the mindless slogan chanters are a very small percentage of college students. The ones who go on to be productive movers and shakers in society don’t have time for that stuff. 

I have no doubt that girl is a liberal arts major who doesn’t have the class load or academic challenge to keep her focused on reality. She might as well feel righteous if she can’t be smart, or sees a future working in a field unrelated to her education because it’s utterly worthless - and free if Joe buys her vote.

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2024, 11:07 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Way to ironic that Biden is buying votes with college debt relief, while at this time in 2020 Trump was buying votes with the historic $2 trillion stimulus bill, giving $1,200 checks to all the deadbeats that don't even think Coronavirus is anything more than the flu.

If that isn't bad enough, we now have MTG and AOC taking over their respective party's.