Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NY Dems attempt to buy votes while ignoring the real issues

Real estate agents say "Location Location Location"

Democrats say "Distract Distract Distract"

New York weighs ending post-Prohibition law, potentially making state's dry towns a thing of the past

Proponents of the bill say it could benefit businesses

A post-Prohibition law allowing some New York towns to keep their bans on alcohol sales could soon be a policy of the past, depending on the outcome of a bill moving through the state legislature.
Assembly bill A9071 would prohibit local communities from enacting any policy that bans the sale of alcohol within the entire municipality, effectively reversing existing total bans that some businesses say hinder their popularity.
"This ain’t the Prohibition era any longer. We live in New York in 2024, and this thing is kind of silly," state Sen. James Skoufis said, per a local report.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/new-york-e...towns-past
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Regardless of the politics involved it is an archaic law. I remember the pearl clutching that went on when the NFL told Duval County, a dry county on Sundays at the time, they'd have to allow for beer sales on Sundays when Jacksonville was awarded the franchise. You would have thought the world as we knew it was going to end. Alas, Armageddon did not occur when Duval was able to sell alcohol on Sunday.

The above scenario may have happened a bit differently than I described but that's what happened in a nutshell.

(04-14-2024, 05:34 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Regardless of the politics involved it is an archaic law. I remember the pearl clutching that went on when the NFL told Duval County, a dry county on Sundays at the time, they'd have to allow for beer sales on Sundays when Jacksonville was awarded the franchise. You would have thought the world as we knew it was going to end. Alas, Armageddon did not occur when Duval was able to sell alcohol on Sunday.

The above scenario may have happened a bit differently than I described but that's what happened in a nutshell.

Duval was dry on Sunday? I didn’t know that.

(04-14-2024, 05:41 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(04-14-2024, 05:34 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Regardless of the politics involved it is an archaic law. I remember the pearl clutching that went on when the NFL told Duval County, a dry county on Sundays at the time, they'd have to allow for beer sales on Sundays when Jacksonville was awarded the franchise. You would have thought the world as we knew it was going to end. Alas, Armageddon did not occur when Duval was able to sell alcohol on Sunday.

I don't ever remember a time here that it was dry.

I made fun of other places for being dry.

It was dry on Sunday in the late 80’s. The late Tilly Fowler lead the charge to end the Sunday prohibition from her seat on the city council. The initial compromise was in order to serve alcohol on Sunday you had to have a certain percentage of total sales as food sales. Before that I can remember a few trips across the Saint John’s county line to purchase beer on a Sunday. I still recall going into grocery stores with chains around the doors in the beer isle and signs hanging off of them stating no alcohol sales on Sunday.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(04-14-2024, 07:22 PM)copycat Wrote: It was dry on Sunday in the late 80’s.  The late Tilly Fowler lead the charge to end the Sunday prohibition from her seat on the city council.  The initial compromise was in order to serve alcohol on Sunday you had to have a certain percentage of total sales as food sales.  Before that I can remember a few trips across the Saint John’s county line to purchase  beer on a Sunday.  I still recall going into grocery stores with chains around the doors in the beer isle and signs hanging off of them stating no alcohol sales on Sunday.

That makes sense. I'm 39. Lived here since I was 8.

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2024, 07:48 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

We had the DARE program in elementary school and the JSO officer who would show up and talk about drugs and alcohol was still salty about the end of the Sunday prohibition. He said that in certain areas on Sundays you could find people licking sterno cans to get their fix and ending up in the hospital. he said the solution to that should have been making anybody who couldn't go one day without alcohol stay in the hospital until their alcoholism was "cured." He said simply selling beer 7 days a week would prove to be a mistake.

Made a strong impression on me, for me to remember it as well as I do. He was a real hard [BLEEP], took a dim view of most subjects that seemed fun, yet he also thought people would be willing to pay millions for hospitals to be full of addicts that didn't want to be there, and that if you just try hard enough you can fix broken people. I guess the word for that is authoritarian.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(04-14-2024, 07:46 PM)mikesez Wrote: We had the DARE program in elementary school and the JSO officer who would show up and talk about drugs and alcohol was still salty about the end of the Sunday prohibition.  He said that in certain areas on Sundays you could find people licking sterno cans to get their fix and ending up in the hospital.  he said the solution to that should have been making those anybody who couldn't go one day without alcohol stay in the hospital until their alcoholism was "cured" and that simply selling beer 7 days a week would prove to be a mistake.

Made a strong impression on me, for me to remember it as well as I do. He was a real hard [BLEEP], took a dim view of most subjects that seemed fun, yet he also thought people would be willing to pay millions for hospitals to be full of addicts that didn't want to be there.  I guess the word for that is authoritarian.

I asked if I could hold his gun.

He ejected the magazine and pulled the slide to eject the round and gave it to me.

That's what I remember from DARE. lol

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2024, 07:59 PM by mikesez. Edited 2 times in total.)

(04-14-2024, 07:49 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(04-14-2024, 07:46 PM)mikesez Wrote: We had the DARE program in elementary school and the JSO officer who would show up and talk about drugs and alcohol was still salty about the end of the Sunday prohibition.  He said that in certain areas on Sundays you could find people licking sterno cans to get their fix and ending up in the hospital.  he said the solution to that should have been making those anybody who couldn't go one day without alcohol stay in the hospital until their alcoholism was "cured" and that simply selling beer 7 days a week would prove to be a mistake.

Made a strong impression on me, for me to remember it as well as I do. He was a real hard [BLEEP], took a dim view of most subjects that seemed fun, yet he also thought people would be willing to pay millions for hospitals to be full of addicts that didn't want to be there.  I guess the word for that is authoritarian.

I asked if I could hold his gun.

He ejected the magazine and pulled the slide to eject the round and gave it to me.

Yeah our guy did that too.  Let kids get in line to handle the unloaded gun and maybe some other stuff.  I remember he said most cops never had to use their guns on duty, and most of us didn't believe him.  The cops on TV shoot at bad guys every other episode!  But that was part of the message, "the cops are your friends, they won't shoot you."

He also told this kid who wore a wallet chain to stop doing that, because a cop would stereotype him as a drug user and possibly gang banger. "Looks like a duck, walks like a duck, talks like a duck, " the cop said. The kid was mad and said it was unfair and it was just something he did because he thought it looked cool. Next year he offered to sell me some pot though so the cop was on to something I guess.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(04-14-2024, 07:56 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-14-2024, 07:49 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: I asked if I could hold his gun.

Yeah our guy did that too.  Let kids get in line to handle the unloaded gun and maybe some other stuff.  I remember he said most cops never had to use their guns on duty, and most of us didn't believe him.  The cops on TV shoot at bad guys every other episode!  But that was part of the message, "the cops are your friends, they won't shoot you."

He also told this kid who wore a wallet chain to stop doing that, because a cop would stereotype him as a drug user and possibly gang banger. "Looks like a duck, walks like a duck, talks like a duck, " the cop said.  The kid was mad and said it was unfair and it was just something he did because he thought it looked cool.  Next year he offered to sell me some pot though so the cop was on to something I guess.

Later we learned they weren't supposed to do that.

Him doing that against protocal (though we didnt know it at the time) made me feel closer to police, that they were people and not just an autonomous part of government.

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2024, 09:07 PM by americus 2.0. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-14-2024, 05:41 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

I'm pretty sure it was. Maybe getting it confused with somewhere else. I've lived in a lot of places in my life.

ETA: someone else clarified. I thought it was linked to us getting the franchise.