Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Overall 2024 Draft Analysis

Wink  (This post was last modified: 04-27-2024, 07:19 PM by NH3. Edited 1 time in total.)

I honestly didn't/don't analyse college players like some here on our board to which is the reasoning for starting this thread. I'd like collective input in one thread location. 

R1 Brian Thomas / WR, LSU : BTJ is going to be stellar for our offense to say the least by stretching the field and potentially being that go to receiver in due time.

R2 Masson Smith / DT, LSU : Masson is exactly what we needed at the position, an Big Body to clog the middle of our D.

R3 Jarrian Jones / CB FSU : Jarrian could possibly crack the line up but if not he'll definately be solid depth.

R4 Javon Foster / OL, Missouri : Honestly I have nothing here so I'll just say depth or the PS is his friend.

R4 Jordan Jefferson / DT, LSU : Stroud and Henderson, say less.

R5 De'Antre Prince / CB, Ole Miss : Depth and or Practice squad.

R5 Keilan Robinson / RB, Texas : He may see the field as our PR.

R6 Cam Little / K, Arkansas : We drafted a kicker, let's see if he can win the job but his longest is about 58 yards.

R6 Myles Cole / DE, Texas Tech. : He had an descent college career and could be an sleeper depending on how he's used.

So Jaguar Fans please insert your opinions that'll overshadow mine.

Thanks in advanced. 

Overall grade - B+

NH3...
"AZANE"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

6 of the 9 picks were from the SEC.

Superbowl caliber now.

(04-27-2024, 07:41 PM)Eric1 Wrote: 6 of the 9 picks were from the SEC.

No Gene Whiffs schools?
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(04-27-2024, 07:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/APontbriandTV/status...7985994144

Ahhh Yes. The new rule did impact this selection.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(04-27-2024, 07:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/APontbriandTV/status...7985994144
(04-27-2024, 10:00 PM)NH3 Wrote:

Ahhh Yes. The new rule did impact this selection.

NH3...
Some coach is going to create a lot of game changing plays for KRs. It becomes a running play with lots of open space. Flipping the side of the field could get some crazy plays.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(04-28-2024, 05:19 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(04-27-2024, 10:00 PM)NH3 Wrote: Ahhh Yes. The new rule did impact this selection.

NH3...
Some coach is going to create a lot of game changing plays for KRs. It becomes a running play with lots of open space. Flipping the side of the field could get some crazy plays.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

NFL ST coordinators are definitely watching all of that Spring league kickoff tape and getting their plans together.

I'm excited to see how it pans out. Could get pretty interesting. Current roster has 4 guys with kick return ability.

Was listening to 1010xl Primetime today at 2pm, and they are super negative regarding how the Jags drafted.
Not tuning into that show anymore

(04-29-2024, 02:35 PM)jagboss Wrote: Was listening to 1010xl Primetime today at 2pm, and they are super negative regarding how the Jags drafted.

Because they call it honestly? Weird, 1010xl is the official Jaguars station, but it's not the Jaguars House Organ.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

The Maason Smith pick is so reminiscent of the Walker Little pick. Both at the top of the recruits coming out of high school, both appearing on track for a high first round selection, both with an ACL, then both picked based on upside by Baalke.

(04-29-2024, 02:48 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-29-2024, 02:35 PM)jagboss Wrote: Was listening to 1010xl Primetime today at 2pm, and they are super negative regarding how the Jags drafted.

Because they call it honestly? Weird, 1010xl is the official Jaguars station, but it's not the Jaguars House Organ.
I don't like every pick either, but goodness, they seemed sour.

(04-29-2024, 03:35 PM)jagboss Wrote:
(04-29-2024, 02:48 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Because they call it honestly? Weird, 1010xl is the official Jaguars station, but it's not the Jaguars House Organ.
I don't like every pick either, but goodness, they seemed sour.

The "hating everything Baalke does" virus has spread from the fanbase to the local talking heads. 
It's annoying at times.  
I can find errors - and I'd have chosen a few different guys - but I think this offseason has gone quite well overall. 
The roster is improved. 

As I've said here many times - I don't mind complaining - I just prefer complaining that makes sense. 

I realize the nickel back pick was a bit of a reach - but I bet he ends up making our secondary better.

Like many others here- I'd have gone after an interior OL player at 116 instead of the nose tackle.

I'm cool with everything else. Maason Smith's upside and ability to attain it should be well known to our staff with all of the various LSU connections. Hopefully their insight proves valid and it gets validated quickly. I'm good with that gamble.

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2024, 04:41 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

I have little bones to pick about this off season and draft in general.

1. Josh Allen - Extended - Shows growth as a franchise.

2. Mitch Morse - Signed - Shows the ability to admit a mistake and fix it.

3. Foyesade Oluokon - Extended - Shows the ability to retain talent. As well as a great leader.

4. Brian Thomas Jr. - Selected - Not only did they decide that Gabe Davis wasn't the answer to losing Ridley - They went out and landed a WR1 to grow with Lawrence - While also picking up a 3rd and 4th RD selection in next year's draft. Shows the ability to understand value and competence.

5. Arik Armstead - Signed - Adding a veteran presence that has played well and has been apart of some really good and talented defensive fronts.

Those five moves standout to me more than anything. I actually really like the Jarrian Jones selection. Already said it in the college forum or somewhere around here. That's my favorite selection out of this entire class. I don't see that selection as a reach.

Jones was considered the top nickel CB in this class by a few sites and his energy, his play and his flexibility is much needed here. He'll benefit from a loaded front seven.

I wanted one more IOL drafted, I would have went in that direction one more time over Jefferson at NT or Robinson at KR. However, I understand the thought process there. I don't mind them getting a strong behemoth to play NT on this defense when needed. I don't mind another KR given the new rules and I don't mind the selection of a Kicker neither. We need one.

Myles Cole, low key? That's a damn good developmental prospect to bring along slowly. He'll learn from Allen, Walker & Armstead. He could very well find his place here sooner than expected if his measurables are as advertised. It's not like he was playing with a boatload of talent at Texas Tech on defense. He'll have his opportunities here to get isolated.

Back to the offensive line though. They did draft Foster, an All-SEC tackle that can play left or right side. Had a high PFF mark in the play action game and run blocking department. They have Cooper Hodges coming back. They also picked-up Jones out of Oregon. An absolute whopper of a guard that could very well make this team as the 9th or 10th man to also develop.

Don't sleep on Steven Jones. Six years in college. Plenty of starts. Played good last year for a team that ran the ball well and helped get Bo Nix drafted on the opening night. He'll be fun to watch I think this summer. There's a lot to be happy about and to look forward to in my opinion.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-29-2024, 04:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-29-2024, 03:35 PM)jagboss Wrote: I don't like every pick either, but goodness, they seemed sour.

The "hating everything Baalke does" virus has spread from the fanbase to the local talking heads. 
It's annoying at times.  
I can find errors - and I'd have chosen a few different guys - but I think this offseason has gone quite well overall. 
The roster is improved. 

As I've said here many times - I don't mind complaining - I just prefer complaining that makes sense. 

I realize the nickel back pick was a bit of a reach - but I bet he ends up making our secondary better.

Like many others here- I'd have gone after an interior OL player at 116 instead of the nose tackle.

I'm cool with everything else. Maason Smith's upside and ability to attain it should be well known to our staff with all of the various LSU connections. Hopefully their insight proves valid and it gets validated quickly. I'm good with that gamble.

Jones at 96 was far from a reach, you could argue that was our best pick.  He's a dawg and one of the best man and nickle corners.  Nickel corners are like a starter in  today's game and if one is good enough you take him.  Washington took a nickel corner at 50, though the best off coverage and zone nickel in the draft, he's a beast as well.

(04-29-2024, 04:41 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I have little bones to pick about this off season and draft in general.

1. Josh Allen - Extended - Shows growth as a franchise.

2. Mitch Morse - Signed - Shows the ability to admit a mistake and fix it.

3. Foyesade Oluokon - Extended - Shows the ability to retain talent. As well as a great leader.

4. Brian Thomas Jr. - Selected - Not only did they decide that Gabe Davis wasn't the answer to losing Ridley - They went out and landed a WR1 to grow with Lawrence - While also picking up a 3rd and 4th RD selection in next year's draft. Shows the ability to understand value and competence.

5. Arik Armstead - Signed - Adding a veteran presence that has played well and has been apart of some really good and talented defensive fronts.

Those five moves standout to me more than anything. I actually really like the Jarrian Jones selection. Already said it in the college forum or somewhere around here. That's my favorite selection out of this entire class. I don't see that selection as a reach.

Jones was considered the top nickel CB in this class by a few sites and his energy, his play and his flexibility is much needed here. He'll benefit from a loaded front seven.

I wanted one more IOL drafted, I would have went in that direction one more time over Jefferson at NT or Robinson at KR. However, I understand the thought process there. I don't mind them getting a strong behemoth to play NT on this defense when needed. I don't mind another KR given the new rules and I don't mind the selection of a Kicker neither. We need one.

Myles Cole, low key? That's a damn good developmental prospect to bring along slowly. He'll learn from Allen, Walker & Armstead. He could very well find his place here sooner than expected if his measurables are as advertised. It's not like he was playing with a boatload of talent at Texas Tech on defense. He'll have his opportunities here to get isolated.

Back to the offensive line though. They did draft Foster, an All-SEC tackle that can play left or right side. Had a high PFF mark in the play action game and run blocking department. They have Cooper Hodges coming back. They also picked-up Jones out of Oregon. An absolute whopper of a guard that could very well make this team as the 9th or 10th man to also develop.

Don't sleep on Steven Jones.  Six years in college. Plenty of starts. Played good last year for a team that ran the ball well and helped get Bo Nix drafted on the opening night. He'll be fun to watch I think this summer. There's a lot to be happy about and to look forward to in my opinion.

Washington took Sainristil at 50, he's a really good slot corner as well just better for more of zone defense.  Jones is a perfect fit for this defense and not many corners are good in man.  Back of the 3rd for Jones is great value, I didn't think he would be there when we picked in the 3rd.

(04-29-2024, 04:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-29-2024, 04:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: The "hating everything Baalke does" virus has spread from the fanbase to the local talking heads. 
It's annoying at times.  
The roster is improved. 

Jones at 96 was far from a reach, you could argue that was our best pick.  He's a dawg and one of the best man and nickle corners.  Nickel corners are like a starter in  today's game and if one is good enough you take him.  Washington took a nickel corner at 50, though the best off coverage and zone nickel in the draft, he's a beast as well.

99% of the football world thinks it was a reach. 
I'll trust that over a guy that lives in a whackadoodle fantasy world regarding how GMs make their picks. 

That said - I don't mind a bit if my team reaches a bit when they come away with an impactful player at a position of need. And I think they may have done that with this pick.

(04-27-2024, 07:15 PM)NH3 Wrote: R1 Brian Thomas / WR, LSU : BTJ is going to be stellar for our offense to say the least by stretching the field and potentially being that go to receiver in due time.
...With some refinement, should be a very good WR for Trevor (plus got 2 picks next year and a kick returner this year with the trade back).  Grade A.

R2 Masson Smith / DT, LSU : Masson is exactly what we needed at the position, an Big Body to clog the middle of our D.
...Reach for limited production, but tremendous upside with exceptional traits if healthy and motivated.  Grade B. 

R3 Jarrian Jones / CB FSU : Jarrian could possibly crack the line up but if not he'll definately be solid depth.
...Needed CB to challenge for nickel role, likely a backup at both inside and outside spots. Would have liked earlier CB. Grade B-/C+.   

R4 Javon Foster / OL, Missouri : Honestly I have nothing here so I'll just say depth or the PS is his friend.
...Would have rather had a pure OG to compete inside, but he'll provide a swing role and develop this year.  Grade B-/C+.

R4 Jordan Jefferson / DT, LSU : Stroud and Henderson, say less.
...Nose tackle backup rotational player, strong and stout but needs skills development. Grade B. 

R5 De'Antre Prince / CB, Ole Miss : Depth and or Practice squad.
...Traits-based pick that needs development to stick in a backup CB role, will likely compete for roster spot on ST. Grade C.

R5 Keilan Robinson / RB, Texas : He may see the field as our PR.
...Game day speedy 2nd returner needed for new kickoff role, may provide change of pace RB surprise. Grade B. 

R6 Cam Little / K, Arkansas : We drafted a kicker, let's see if he can win the job but his longest is about 58 yards.
...3rd best kicker in draft should win role over 2 vet cast-outs on roster, production for a late pick. Grade B. 

R67 Myles Cole / DE, Texas Tech. : He had an descent college career and could be an sleeper depending on how he's used.
...Good size to compete for backup role, but likely practice squad development guy.  Grade C. 

So Jaguar Fans please insert your opinions that'll overshadow mine.

Thanks in advanced. 

Overall grade - B+
...I give it a B overall.  Could be good draft, but most highly dependent upon the coaching staff significantly developing these guys.

NH3...

(04-29-2024, 04:56 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-29-2024, 04:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Jones at 96 was far from a reach, you could argue that was our best pick.  He's a dawg and one of the best man and nickle corners.  Nickel corners are like a starter in  today's game and if one is good enough you take him.  Washington took a nickel corner at 50, though the best off coverage and zone nickel in the draft, he's a beast as well.

I'll trust that over a guy that lives in a whackadoodle fantasy world regarding how GMs make their picks. 

That said - I don't mind a bit if my team reaches a bit when they come away with an impactful player at a position of need. And I think they may have done that with this pick.

With 2 picks in the 4th shortly thereafter, he/they must've thought there was a good chance Jones wasn't going to be there 18 picks later.

(04-29-2024, 04:56 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-29-2024, 04:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Jones at 96 was far from a reach, you could argue that was our best pick.  He's a dawg and one of the best man and nickle corners.  Nickel corners are like a starter in  today's game and if one is good enough you take him.  Washington took a nickel corner at 50, though the best off coverage and zone nickel in the draft, he's a beast as well.

Lolol, yeah man I'm sure you know what 99% of the football world thinks, what a reach lol.   We really won't know if he was a reach until about 2 years, so we shall see.  A lot of the mocks I done he was gone before we even picked at 96 so what does that mean?  The mocks reached? 

I usually try to form my own opinion on a player instead of just going off what others say.  If they aren't Jags fans the majority don't even know how what type of defense we run and what type of players we need.  Kind of like we likely didn't have Sainristil as high as Washington since he's more of a zone based corner, he was in college at least. The players rating will vary team to team based on scheme and what teams like to do. 

You are actually one of the few Jags fan I have seen that thinks he is a reach. I check out all of the guys that follow the Jags on YouTube, reddit,  podcast ect. that follow the team I don't remember any of them that thought Jones was a reach at the back of the 3rd, if there were it was very few.  No team runs man more than us, one of the best man corners and slot corners in the draft we got at the end of the 3rd.  Not a reach imo but we will find out in the future