Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What do you grade the Draft
A
A-
B+
B
B-
C+
C
C-
D+
D
D-
F
[Show Results]

Baalke 2024 Draft Grade

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2024, 04:53 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(04-28-2024, 09:48 PM)HardcoreMoJagFan Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 09:33 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: L'Jarius Sneed, round 4
Nick Alleghretti, round 7
Noah Gray, round 5
Isaiah Pacheco, round 7
Rashee Rice, round 2
Creed Humphrey, round 2
Nick Bolton, round 2
Mecole Hardman, round 2

All either solid contributors or starters.

You listed 5 seasons and pulled up 8 solid contributes or starters.

Anton Harrison
Antonio Johnson
Travon Walker
Devin Lloyd
Trevor Lawrence
Travis Etienne
Tyson Campbell
Andre Cisco
Luke Fortner
Luke Farrell 
Montaric Brown 

That's 11 in 3 seasons.

Lol ..... might as well throw in Tank Bigsby and even Tebow if you're going to add some of those others as solid contributors.

(04-28-2024, 07:44 PM)HardcoreMoJagFan Wrote: The key to being good in the NFL.  Have a good QB and don't bomb your first round picks.  All the rest is just get lucky every now and then.

Not really.  The Chiefs haven't actually lit up the town with their 1st round picks since Mahomes 

Clyde Edwards-Helaire RB LSU
Trent McDuffie CB Washington
George Karlaftis DE Purdue
Felix Anudike-Uzomah DE Kansas State

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2024, 05:33 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 2 times in total.)

(04-29-2024, 02:28 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(04-27-2024, 07:39 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: 3rd round: Jarrian Jones:  Some had him as the #2 cb in the draft. Great man to man skills. Also speedy and athletic.
sat put and made this roster better. The major critic I have is that I think we should of acquired more big men on the offensive line.  Overall I give the Draft a B

This one has him listed at #24 (DB & Safety rankings)

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/positions/DB/3/2024

What the heck kind of websites are you visiting that had Jarrian Jones listed @ #2 DB?   Can you provide those links as I'd not only love to see that but their other rankings as well.

I'll withhold judgement until I see him on the field in the pros, but his RAS score was 3rd best for CBs this go around I believe at 9.61.  Some people get really excited about RAS scores and use it as a qualifier on whether they like a guy or not.  I think that could be a tad lazy and have you consistently overlook some good talent.  I think the most important evaluation is the eye test, not that I ignore RAS scores.  The guy that compiles RAS scores on twitter/x ranked each team's draft by draftees RAS scores and I think Baalke/Jags were like 15th or so if I recall.

(04-29-2024, 08:08 AM)HardcoreMoJagFan Wrote:
(04-29-2024, 07:25 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Dude…. What?!

Antonio has barely played and same with Brown. Farrell?! AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FORTNER?!

Sheeeeesh

Take those three out and you have 8 in three seasons.  But Fortner would count for any other team.  The inclusion of Noah Gray is what made me include a few guys who played sparingly but well in a short time.

I'm sorry, but NO!  Fortner does not count.  He sucks.

This makes your list 7.  However, Yoda was only listing players taken in the second round and later.  Your list included 5 first rounders.  If we're truly trying to be fair in our analysis, we should include Tyson Campbell as well who was literally taken with the first pick in the second round (#33 overall).  There's no significant difference between his draft position (#33) and the Chiefs picking at #32 overall.

If you only include players taken after #33 overall, your list goes down to one!  LOL!  Baalke drafted Andre Cisco in the third round.  That's it.  This is out of 23 draft picks.  That's not good at all.

(04-29-2024, 05:58 AM)Craigukjag Wrote: I do wonder with the post draft press conference where Trent insisted javon foster will be the teams swing tackle. if they are planning on cutting/trading cam or walker little

Doubtful.  If they were going to cut Cam and promote Little to starter, they would have done it prior to free agency where the $17 million in salary cap savings would have been much more useful to the team.

Why would drafting Foster make us cut Little?  You need two backup tackles, and Little is on a rookie contract so there would be minimal salary cap savings.  I could see a scenario where a team with playoff aspirations loses its starting tackle to injury in the pre-season and they trade for Walker Little, but cutting him?  No, that doesn't make any sense.

(04-29-2024, 02:28 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: What the heck kind of websites are you visiting that had Jarrian Jones listed @ #2 DB?   Can you provide those links as I'd not only love to see that but their other rankings as well.

Just found it.  Here's the site: www.Jarrian-Jones-Mom.com/draftmyson/draft-ratings

Laughing

(04-29-2024, 10:13 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(04-29-2024, 05:58 AM)Craigukjag Wrote: I do wonder with the post draft press conference where Trent insisted javon foster will be the teams swing tackle. if they are planning on cutting/trading cam or walker little

Doubtful.  If they were going to cut Cam and promote Little to starter, they would have done it prior to free agency where the $17 million in salary cap savings would have been much more useful to the team.

Why would drafting Foster make us cut Little?  You need two backup tackles, and Little is on a rookie contract so there would be minimal salary cap savings.  I could see a scenario where a team with playoff aspirations loses its starting tackle to injury in the pre-season and they trade for Walker Little, but cutting him?  No, that doesn't make any sense.

I was meaning more cutting cam or trading walker to be fair, just poorly written. I’m not saying it’s something I’d do, just how they called him a swing tackle made me think wonder if they’re exploring either option

I was pretty confused as the draft unfolded, still a bit irked by some of the picks teams around us got compared to us. Felt like we could have addressed the needs better, but I gave it a B- as we may get some value for the later picks and maybe this rookie class contributes right away.. we don't know until we have real games to reference.

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2024, 08:35 AM by Mikey.)

(04-29-2024, 10:13 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:

I think if Foster hits Little is more expendable. Teams that need an OT with experience before trade deadline might light the cheap test drive like we did with Ezra. I don't see anything happening immediately or even before week 1, but I can certainly see the team looking to get a jump on the comp pick for letting him go in FA.

Cutting Cam or Walker at this point would be a terrible move presently.

(04-30-2024, 03:06 AM)Craigukjag Wrote:
(04-29-2024, 10:13 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: Doubtful.  If they were going to cut Cam and promote Little to starter, they would have done it prior to free agency where the $17 million in salary cap savings would have been much more useful to the team.

I was meaning more cutting cam or trading walker to be fair, just poorly written. I’m not saying it’s something I’d do, just how they called him a swing tackle made me think wonder if they’re exploring either option

I think the statement was more to confirm that his (Foster) work will be done on the outside vs. training him to play at OG. Now do they try and push Little back inside to help at Guard? Not sure we know that answer yet.

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2024, 09:13 AM by TheDuke007.)

(04-30-2024, 08:33 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-29-2024, 10:13 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: Doubtful.  If they were going to cut Cam and promote Little to starter, they would have done it prior to free agency where the $17 million in salary cap savings would have been much more useful to the team.

I think if Foster hits Little is more expendable. Teams that need an OT with experience before trade deadline might light the cheap test drive like we did with Ezra. I don't see anything happening immediately or even before week 1, but I can certainly see the team looking to get a jump on the comp pick for letting him go in FA.

(04-30-2024, 03:06 AM)Craigukjag Wrote: I was meaning more cutting cam or trading walker to be fair, just poorly written. I’m not saying it’s something I’d do, just how they called him a swing tackle made me think wonder if they’re exploring either option

I think the statement was more to confirm that his (Foster) work will be done on the outside vs. training him to play at OG. Now do they try and push Little back inside to help at Guard? Not sure we know that answer yet.

Little will be in the competition for depth at guard, but not if you are talking about starter.  They signed Ezra Cleveland to a 3 year, $24 million contract with over $14 million to play left guard.  They aren't paying him that much to be a backup.

(04-30-2024, 04:02 AM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: I was pretty confused as the draft unfolded,  still a bit irked by some of the picks teams around us got compared to us.  Felt like we could have addressed the needs better,  but I gave it a B- as we may get some value for the later picks and maybe this rookie class contributes right away..  we don't know until we have real games to reference.

All of the picks did address needs. 
They may not have prioritized them the way some us would, but every single one addressed need. 
Even the RB (given the kickoff rules change) addressed a need. 

I'm hoping the remainder of free agency and trade opportunities fill one or two depth positions with players that inspire more confidence. 

We have cap space and extra picks in 2025 to work with.

(04-30-2024, 08:33 AM)Mikey Wrote:

(04-30-2024, 03:06 AM)Craigukjag Wrote: I was meaning more cutting cam or trading walker to be fair, just poorly written. I’m not saying it’s something I’d do, just how they called him a swing tackle made me think wonder if they’re exploring either option

Not sure what he would look like at guard with a whole offseason and a competent center to work with, but I felt like the Walker Little at guard experiment was a complete failure last year. 

Dude seems destined to be a mid-tier starter at tackle unless a leap in his performance occurs.
Just my gut from what I've seen. 

IF they like how Foster acclimates - I would not be shocked if they dealt Walker Little within a month or so of the deadline.

I really think had we taken Bortolini in the 4th, the belly aching would be minimal if any at all. I'll be watching his career closely. Perhaps he stinks and Baalke identified it correctly and passed. We'll see.

(04-30-2024, 09:36 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I really think had we taken Bortolini in the 4th, the belly aching would be minimal if any at all.  I'll be watching his career closely.  Perhaps he stinks and Baalke identified it correctly and passed.  We'll see.

I agree. 

Last year it was Torrence and D.Jones being passed up.
This year it's Bortolini and a couple of other interior guys. 

Gotta see how it pans out, but worth watching. 

Personally I think Cleveland and Morse will make a significant impact for our line after an offseason to work together. 
And there is still time to bolster depth behind them.

(04-30-2024, 09:13 AM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(04-30-2024, 08:33 AM)Mikey Wrote: I think if Foster hits Little is more expendable. Teams that need an OT with experience before trade deadline might light the cheap test drive like we did with Ezra. I don't see anything happening immediately or even before week 1, but I can certainly see the team looking to get a jump on the comp pick for letting him go in FA.

Little will be in the competition for depth at guard, but not if you are talking about starter.  They signed Ezra Cleveland to a 3 year, $24 million contract with over $14 million to play left guard.  They aren't paying him that much to be a backup.

Bottom line is during free agency they went out and bought a veteran offensive line.  Our starters are Cam, Ezra, Morris, Sheriff, Harrison.  These guys will be given a lot of snaps together to form a cohesive unit and start game one.  What we are discussing are the backups that will give them a blow during a game, jump in when they are injured, and one day hopefully be their replacements.  They are "the next man up". 

Over the last couple years we have "broken" our offensive line program. We have held on to very nice guys out of convenience, coaches too lazy to train and because we are nice. The result is we have we now have a slew of under performing backups in this room.  None of them have enough upside to replace a starter. It is possible Walker can but if he proves that this year he will be costly next year. This is the problem that needs to be addressed after our 2024 FA spending spree on this room.

If we do not address this we will continually be captive of investing in other team's older cast off vets.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

It's because we fired the guy who was kicking them. Weakass Jaguars.

(04-30-2024, 09:36 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I really think had we taken Bortolini in the 4th, the belly aching would be minimal if any at all.  I'll be watching his career closely.  Perhaps he stinks and Baalke identified it correctly and passed.  We'll see.

For months I've wanted Bortolini and McCormick in the 4th and we got lucky for both to be there when we picked.  Hopefully Foster and JJ turns out to be better players and I was wrong.  I think they drafted Foster to be Little's replacement.  I think we will still need a tackle next year unless they extend Cam.  It's possible next year we will still need a T, G, and C.  Hopefully not but I think the oline will be our biggest need next year once again, we will need to extend Campbell

(04-30-2024, 10:18 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

For months I've wanted Bortolini and McCormick in the 4th and we got lucky for both to be there when we picked.  Hopefully Foster and JJ turns out to be better players and I was wrong.  I think they drafted Foster to be Little's replacement.  I think we will still need a tackle next year unless they extend Cam.  It's possible next year we will still need a T, G, and C.  Hopefully not but I think the oline will be our biggest need next year once again, we will need to extend Campbell

Exactly right, we went into this draft needing 3 offensive linemen in the long term. We came out still needing 2 offensive linemen in the long term.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-29-2024, 11:03 PM)cland Wrote:
(04-29-2024, 02:28 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: What the heck kind of websites are you visiting that had Jarrian Jones listed @ #2 DB?   Can you provide those links as I'd not only love to see that but their other rankings as well.

Just found it.  Here's the site: www.Jarrian-Jones-Mom.com/draftmyson/draft-ratings

Laughing

Now that was hilarious !!!

Let’s not forget that Mac Jones and Ezra Cleveland should be included as part of this years picks.

(04-30-2024, 02:25 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-30-2024, 10:18 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: For months I've wanted Bortolini and McCormick in the 4th and we got lucky for both to be there when we picked.  Hopefully Foster and JJ turns out to be better players and I was wrong.  I think they drafted Foster to be Little's replacement.  I think we will still need a tackle next year unless they extend Cam.  It's possible next year we will still need a T, G, and C.  Hopefully not but I think the oline will be our biggest need next year once again, we will need to extend Campbell

Exactly right, we went into this draft needing 3 offensive linemen in the long term. We came out still needing 2 offensive linemen in the long term.

You don't ever come out of a draft knowing you won't need more of anything.

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2024, 06:54 PM by TheDogCatcher. Edited 1 time in total.)

I give it a B/B-, but light years better than last year's. 

I don't like that a guard or center wasn't drafted, especially picking Jefferson over some good prospects. 

I like Maason Smith pick. He's boom or bust. He has all the measurables and was peaking toward the end of last season. 

I also love the two scheme-specific corners. Both seem very competitive and talented, with Jones likely starting at nickel or outside.

Baalke's best work was fleecing Minnesota and still grabbing Thomas. I read the rumor that they had a mandate from Trevor's camp to get him another weapon. I also think Baalke also faced a lot of pressure from the new LSU defensive gurus to draft Maason Smith. If either of these are true, he pleased all stakeholders.

I strongly disliked the assistant GM's comments to Jags reporter Mia while round 5 or 6 was ongoing. He said no players on their board remained, and at that point the scouts start making arguments for players. He chuckled and said, "this is how they earn their money" or something to that effect. They should rank every potential draftable player and create a longer board so arguments for/against players don't need to occur on the clock. They treat the bottom 2-3 rounds as if it's throwing darts at the wall, with only special teams players remaining. It felt like Trent, Doug, and other top brass went to dinner after the 5th round. I wouldn't be asleep at the wheel leaving it to scouts to sift for hidden gems. If you make six figures, you should be supervising the whole time. It's just one more night, and it's kind of a big deal. I get it that they want to throw the hard-working scouts a bone and feel like they're part of the decisionmaking. But no, they're scouts. They can make the calls when/if they get promoted. Until then, their role is to provide reports and insights to the decisionmakers.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt