Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Waaaay Too Early 53 Man Projection

Day 1 on the next era of Jags football is officially here. Here's my early speculation on who makes the final 53 this fall:

Offense:
QB – Lawrence, Jones
RB – ETN, Bigsby, D’Earnest, Keilan Robinson
WR – BTJ, Kirk, Davis, Washington, Duvernay, Cephus
TE – Engram, Strange, Farrell
Tackles – Robinson, Harrison, Little, Foster
Guards – Cleveland, Scherff, Hodges, Hance
Center – Morse, Fortner

Defense:
Tackles – Armstead, RRH, Hamilton, Maason, Jordan
Ends – Travon, Allen, Lacy, Myles
Backers – Foye, Lloyd, Muma, Miller, Abdullah, Gipson
Corners – Tyson, Darby, Brown, Savage, Jarrian, Prince
Safeties – Cisco, Antonio, Dewey, Thomas

Teams
K – Patterson
P – Cook
LS - Ross
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don't get the desire to exclude Zay Jones

He was hurt last year and was really good prior to that. Still very valuable in my estimation.
I think any 4 or 5 receiver set includes him this season. And it should.
Especially if we are playing a zone heavy defense.
He wins against zone coverage consistently.

The categories of LB and DE could be haggled but that stuff will get sorted easily in camp.

I hope Jarrian leaps into the nickel role by September and that the rookie kicker wins out over Patterson.

Offense:
QB – Lawrence, Jones
WR – BTJ, Kirk, Davis, Zay, Washington, Duvernay
Guards – Cleveland, Scherff, Hodges, Hance
Center – Morse, Fortner

Defense:
Corners – Tyson, Darby, Jarrian, Brown, Savage, Prince

Teams
K – White
P – Cook
LS - Ross

Old, injured, and expensive means it's time to move on. It's a young man's game and we have some candidates to fill his role.

(04-28-2024, 11:33 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I don't get the desire to exclude Zay Jones

He was hurt last year and was really good prior to that. Still very valuable in my estimation.

The categories of LB and DE could be haggled but that stuff will get sorted easily in camp.

I hope Jarrian leaps into the nickel role by September and that the rookie kicker wins out over Patterson.

I agree, the NB/SS and DE/OLB spots are kind of interchangeable in personnel the way we're built this year. I really think we're going to use a 42 nickel package as our base defense this year, the way we've added guys it just makes sense to me to not use a 3rd LB at all.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-28-2024, 11:33 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I don't get the desire to exclude Zay Jones

Really good is an exaggeration

Agreed with NYC. Zay is relatively inexpensive and he could fill the Marvin Jones role Lawrence missed last year if he can stay healthy.

Cephus is a long shot. After Cooks didn't see much action last year I just won't get my hopes up on an undrafted guy.

1. Brian Thomas Jr.
2. Christian Kirk
3. Gabe Davis
4. Zay Jones
5. Parker Washington
6. Devin Duvernay

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-28-2024, 11:41 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Old, injured, and expensive means it's time to move on. It's a young man's game and we have some candidates to fill his role.

Zay just turned 29. The "injured and expensive" tags more or less describes Christian Kirk too but there's no way we should be ready to move on from him. Zay could get caught up in a numbers game though with the new additions. Davis and BTJ are definitely making the team and I'd bet Parker Washington with his return skill set is a lock too.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(04-28-2024, 11:19 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Day 1 on the next era of Jags football is officially here. Here's my early speculation on who makes the final 53 this fall:

Offense:
QB – Lawrence, Jones
WR – BTJ, Kirk, Jones, Davis, Washington, Duvernay,    (Practice squad-"Bo"Cephus)
Guards – Cleveland, Scherff, Hodges, TBD
Center – Morse, Fortner

Defense:
Corners – Tyson, Darby, Brown, Savage, Jarrian, Prince

Teams
K – Patterson
P – Cook
LS - Ross

Nice early crack at this. I would add a couple modifications. WR is gonna be a real battle in this year's camp and fun to watch.  Unless someone makes it favorable to move Zay I can't see him going anywhere.  Washington is the one that will be fighting to keep his spot with all comers.

Unless Hance, has improved a bunch from last year I don't see him very secure. Perhaps, but after the O-line being an abject failure last year I can't believe they would just put this on auto pilot. They invested heavily in the IDL in the draft. Now the backup interior line spots have to be a major focus between now and camp. I am hoping they find a way to bring in players. Then during camp hopefully some intense competition for spots.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2024, 12:38 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

I think Steven Jones beats out Blake Hance

Zay is our 4th best WR so he is a lock if healthy but I could see Ruby or Cephus beating out Washington

(04-28-2024, 12:07 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Really good is an exaggeration

No it isn't 
2022: 

you had your 3rd receiver giving you 823 yds, 5 TDs , 10 yards per catch, 44 first downs, 282 yards of YAC

Not to mention 8 catches and a TD in the comeback to beat LAC in the playoffs

He was clutch in some big moments in 2022. I'll call that really good for WR3 in that offense that had a very short average depth of target.

Yea agree with others I'd be surprised if Zay isn't back. I actually think Washington is the one who should worry. With Robinson drafted his value as a returner is lessened.

Didn't we re-sign Shatley this offseason? Doesn't guarantee his spot but I'm sure the team values his experience. Based on our thin depth on the line I wouldn't bet against him returning. Assuming Foster isn't a bust I would think the 5 starters Little and Foster are the only locks. Hodges Shatley and Fortner would be the favorites in my mind but that could easily change. Wouldn't be stunned if fortner doesn't make it.

The TE room might be interesting this year. Patrick Murtagh & Josiah Deguara could make a case to push Farrell off the roster.

With the new kick off rules as well, they might consider keeping four TE's with one of them in a special teams role blocking and gunning wise.

Offensive line is interesting in general. A lot of things to look at storyline wise.

Robinson and Little entering their final year. This is maybe their last shot at stepping up and getting noticed for a big contract.

They drafted Javon Foster as well. Spelling their replacement.

Fortner losing his job in year three should motivate him to start attacking instead of reacting in a back up role.

Scherff with his age and injury history should have the guards in general looking to bump him off the roster soon down the stretch.

I think Little and Fortner should get work at RG this summer just to have the experience. Incase something happens.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-28-2024, 01:25 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Yea agree with others I'd be surprised if Zay isn't back. I actually think Washington is the one who should worry. With Robinson drafted his value as a returner is lessened.

Didn't we re-sign Shatley this offseason? Doesn't guarantee his spot but I'm sure the team values his experience. Based on our thin depth on the line I wouldn't bet against him returning. Assuming Foster isn't a bust I would think the 5 starters Little and Foster are the only locks. Hodges Shatley and Fortner would be the favorites in my mind but that could easily change. Wouldn't be stunned if fortner doesn't make it.

I think Fortner is a lock just because Doug loves him.  How he plays doesn't really matter to them because they think he has upside.  Even when they signed Morse they said he was for competition which is comical

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2024, 01:42 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-28-2024, 01:27 PM)Caldrac Wrote: The TE room might be interesting this year.  Patrick Murtagh & Josiah Deguara could make a case to push Farrell off the roster.

With the new kick off rules as well, they might consider keeping four TE's with one of them in a special teams role blocking and gunning wise.

Offensive line is interesting in general. A lot of things to look at storyline wise.

Robinson and Little entering their final year. This is maybe their last shot at stepping up and getting noticed for a big contract.

Fortner losing his job in year three should motivate him to start attacking instead of reacting in a back up role.

Scherff with his age and injury history should have the guards in general looking to bump him off the roster soon down the stretch.

I think Little and Fortner should get work at RG this summer just to have the experience. Incase something happens.

Farrell is TE 2.  They would have to beat out TE 3 first.  So if that's the case they might push Farrell and Strange off the roster. We can only hope they improve

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2024, 12:31 PM by Jagulars. Edited 4 times in total.)

Offense (25)

QB: Trevor Lawrence, Mac Jones
RB: Travis Etienne, D'Ernest Johnson, Tank Bigsby, Keilan Robinson ®
WR: Brian Thomas Jr. ®, Christian Kirk, Gabe Davis, Devin Duvernay, Parker Washington, Wayne Ruby Jr. ®
TE: Evan Engrams, Brenton Strange, Luke Farrell
OT: Cam Robinson, Anton Harrison, Walker Little, Javon Foster ®
OG: Ezra Cleveland, Brandon Scherff, Cooper Hodges, Steven Jones ®
C: Mitch Morse, Luke Fortner

Defense (25)

DE: Josh Allen, Travon Walker, Adam Gotsis, Jeremiah Ledbetter
DT: Arik Armstead, DaVon Hamilton, Roy Robertson-Harris, Maason Smith ®, Jordan Jefferson ®
LB: Foyesade Oluokun, Devin Lloyd, Chad Muma, Yasir Abdullah, Ventrell Miller, Trevis Gipson
CB: Tyson Campbell, Ronald Darby, Darnell Savage, Jarrian Jones ®, Montaric Brown, Deantre Prince ®
S: Andre Cisco, Antonio Johnson, Andrew Wingard, Daniel Thomas

Special Teams (3)

K: Cam Little ®
P: Logan Cooke
LS: Ross Matiscik

Update: Zay Gone.

On the OL, mostly expected. But, with Steven Jones taking the 10th spot over guys like Hance and Shatley.

(04-28-2024, 01:41 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 01:27 PM)Caldrac Wrote: The TE room might be interesting this year.  Patrick Murtagh & Josiah Deguara could make a case to push Farrell off the roster.

Farrell is TE 2.  They would have to beat out TE 3 first.  So if that's the case they might push Farrell and Strange off the roster. We can only hope they improve

You think this staff isn't going to give a 2nd round pick 2 years to become TE2 over Luke Farrell? 

If Farrell ends up the #2 - they really screwed that pick.

Not that the depth chart really matters with these guys. 
Engram has a clear role as the F/Move guy who is basically another receiver on 70% of his snaps. 
Strange is meant to be an inline player who blocks as often as he leaks out on a route (or more)
 He just hasn't grown into the receiving role component yet. We'll see if he can. If he does, he's your de facto #2

Farrell is similar to Strange role-wise but entering his 4th year instead of his second so the staff knew his strengths and weaknesses better last year - resulting in slightly higher snap count. 

Strange had 297 offensive snaps last year as a rookie compared to Farrell's 351. 
I expect those numbers to rise for Strange and dip for Farrell if Strange is at all what they thought he was when they picked him.

(04-28-2024, 02:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 01:41 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Farrell is TE 2.  They would have to beat out TE 3 first.  So if that's the case they might push Farrell and Strange off the roster. We can only hope they improve

You think this staff isn't going to give a 2nd round pick 2 years to become TE2 over Luke Farrell? 

Engram has a clear role as the F/Move guy who is basically another receiver on 70% of his snaps. 
Strange is meant to be an inline player who blocks as often as he leaks out on a route (or more)
 He just hasn't grown into the receiving role component yet. We'll see if he can. If he does, he's your de facto #2

Farrell is similar to Strange role-wise but entering his 4th year instead of his second so the staff knew his strengths and weaknesses better last year - resulting in slightly higher snap count. 

Strange had 297 offensive snaps last year as a rookie compared to Farrell's 351. 
I expect those numbers to rise for Strange and dip for Farrell if Strange is at all what they thought he was when they picked him.
Farrell was TE 2 last year so Strange will have to get better to move up on the depth chart.  The staff gave Strange every opportunity but he would miss a block, drop a pass etc. almost every time he was out there.  They had to decrease his snaps because he was hurting the offense almost everytime he was on the field.  

Hopefully Strange improves but Farrell can to as he's only 26. Best case scenario is Strange turns it on and lives up to his draft status but I'm not holding my breath.  It would be a huge positive for the offense if Strange improves.

(04-28-2024, 02:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 02:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: You think this staff isn't going to give a 2nd round pick 2 years to become TE2 over Luke Farrell? 

Farrell was TE 2 last year so Strange will have to get better to move up on the depth chart.  The staff gave Strange every opportunity but he would miss a block, drop a pass etc. almost every time he was out there.  They had to decrease his snaps because he was hurting the offense almost everytime he was on the field.  

Hopefully Strange improves but Farrell can to as he's only 26. Best case scenario is Strange turns it on and lives up to his draft status but I'm not holding my breath.  It would be a huge positive for the offense if Strange improves.

Yes the rookie missed some blocks.
(shocker) 
So did Farrell in his first two years. 

And no, they didn't limit his snaps due to performance. 
He was on the injury report week 12-15 and missed three games due to injury.
The lower snaps in weeks 16 and 18 were an extension of his injury.

(04-28-2024, 02:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 02:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Farrell was TE 2 last year so Strange will have to get better to move up on the depth chart.  The staff gave Strange every opportunity but he would miss a block, drop a pass etc. almost every time he was out there.  They had to decrease his snaps because he was hurting the offense almost everytime he was on the field.  

Yes the rookie missed some blocks.
(shocker) 

It was wasn't towards the end of the season when they realized he sucked.  Closer to the beginning than the end.  Sure he can improve, hopefully he does but it's far from a given.

(04-28-2024, 02:55 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 02:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yes the rookie missed some blocks.
(shocker) 

It was wasn't towards the end of the season when they realized he sucked.  Closer to the beginning than the end.  Sure he can improve, hopefully he does but it's far from a given.

Oh, I didn't realize you had no idea what you were talking about.

The two games I cited late in season are the only two games he had reduced snap counts. 

I figured you had bothered to look at his snap counts. Guess not. 

Oddly - if he'd stayed healthy he'd have more snaps than Farrell last year.