Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
If we go 9-8 are Doug & Baalke done?

Are we being too spoiled to think if we go 9-8 again that we should fire Doug and Trent? 

Been a loooong a5s time since this franchise has had multiple winning seasons in a row,
but another 9-8 season and a possible playoff appearance feels underwhelming to I think all of us. 

It’s a tough schedule, but I really feel all of our games are winnable, the talent is there. 

Are we starting fresh, or just axing Trent? If we axe Trent, does that mean Doug gets a prove it year? 

I know we are a long way out, but it’s the off-season and I’m bored

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-16-2024, 12:53 AM)MojoKing Wrote: Are we being too spoiled to think if we go 9-8 again that we should fire Doug and Trent? 

Been a loooong a5s time since this franchise has had multiple winning seasons in a row,
but another 9-8 season and a possible playoff appearance feels underwhelming to I think all of us. 

It’s a tough schedule, but I really feel all of our games are winnable, the talent is there. 

Are we starting fresh, or just axing Trent? If we axe Trent, does that mean Doug gets a prove it year? 

All due respect you are tripping if that's the scenario of Doug's fate if they have another winning season.
[Image: giphy.gif]

Coach should really think about taking control of the play calling.

(05-16-2024, 01:32 AM)leopold332002 Wrote:
(05-16-2024, 12:53 AM)MojoKing Wrote: Are we being too spoiled to think if we go 9-8 again that we should fire Doug and Trent? 

All due respect you are tripping if that's the scenario of Doug's fate if they have another winning season.

A lot of people will be calling for their jobs if we have another season like last year

That would be 3 straight years of winning seasons.

This Franchise went the prior 14 years with 1 winning season.

Neither one of them are going anywhere any time soon, unless it's on their own decision.

If we go 9-8 are Baalke and Doug done?

The answer to that question is a resounding NO.

Three straight winning seasons would more likely bring a raise and an extension for both of them.

If we go 9-8 then so be it.

But if that's the case please don't get me all hopeful at 8-3 and then crash and burn again.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2024, 07:49 AM by Newton.)

You won’t have to worry about that. This team is going to outperform your expectations

(05-16-2024, 07:48 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: If we go 9-8 then so be it.

But if that's the case please don't get me all hopeful at 8-3 and then crash and burn again.
Yea that’s kind of where I’m at.

Also, if they go 9-8, has Doug and Trent gotten all they can out of this roster? Is that their ceiling?

There’s so much context that goes into 9-8 for me. Injuries? Offensive gameplay? Defensive gameplay? Bad luck?

For me, it’s all about Trevor. If the Jags go 9-8 but Trevor is out there ballin out, I’m good. Now if he’s ballin out, it’s unlikely they go 9-8 but that’s the #1 thing I’ll be watching this season.

I'mma stop you right there with a resounding YES! This franchise, an historically bad one, has had two consecutive statistically winning seasons for the first time in two decades. I don't know where this sense of entitlement came from last year, but these people need to accept that winning in the NFL is hard and it's much easier to go from 9-8 to 3-14 than it is to go to 12-5. Last year is the case study in just how quickly good fortune can collapse in this League with just a few injuries and some unlucky breaks. 

Full transparency, I don't care for how Baalke operates. He makes the easy difficult for no reason other than that it's his personality to do so. I don't like how he drafts. I do like his work in free agency and would suggest that he's over-promoted beyond being Pro Personnel Director. However, we did have a rapid turn around and it seems that Doug can win with the guys Baalke brought in, so I think it's borderline absurd for long time fans of this team to act like we should be winning just because and if we are "only" .500ish everyone needs to be fired. The Basement is calling and it's really easy to fall down those stairs again.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-16-2024, 08:14 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

I'mma stop you right there with a resounding YES! This franchise, an historically bad one, has had two consecutive statistically winning seasons for the first time in two decades. I don't know where this sense of entitlement came from last year, but these people need to accept that winning in the NFL is hard and it's much easier to go from 9-8 to 3-14 than it is to go to 12-5. Last year is the case study in just how quickly good fortune can collapse in this League with just a few injuries and some unlucky breaks. 

Full transparency, I don't care for how Baalke operates. He makes the easy difficult for no reason other than that it's his personality to do so. I don't like how he drafts. I do like his work in free agency and would suggest that he's over-promoted beyond being Pro Personnel Director. However, we did have a rapid turn around and it seems that Doug can win with the guys Baalke brought in, so I think it's borderline absurd for long time fans of this team to act like we should be winning just because and if we are "only" .500ish everyone needs to be fired. The Basement is calling and it's really easy to fall down those stairs again.

I think context is necessary.

If they go 9-1 and lose the next 7.. yea I'd fire them. At that point it becomes clear they can't get it done when it matters most.

No. We were the WORST team over the past decade across all sports or something. 9-8 for 3 seasons in a row is a resounding win for this franchise (as annoying as it would be to all of us).

(05-16-2024, 08:31 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(05-16-2024, 08:14 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I'mma stop you right there with a resounding YES! This franchise, an historically bad one, has had two consecutive statistically winning seasons for the first time in two decades. I don't know where this sense of entitlement came from last year, but these people need to accept that winning in the NFL is hard and it's much easier to go from 9-8 to 3-14 than it is to go to 12-5. Last year is the case study in just how quickly good fortune can collapse in this League with just a few injuries and some unlucky breaks. 

I think context is necessary.

If they go 9-1 and lose the next 7.. yea I'd fire them. At that point it becomes clear they can't get it done when it matters most.

Agreed. If they repeat the 2023 face plant season, something isn’t right.

Depends. If everyone is healthy and none of the draft picks do anything this year and the class this year is bad along with missing the playoffs again I can see Baalke getting fired

9-8 is the floor as long as Trevor is healthy.

(05-16-2024, 08:37 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(05-16-2024, 08:31 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: I think context is necessary.

Agreed. If they repeat the 2023 face plant season, something isn’t right.

I think the cause of the face plant was mostly being unable to run for a yard when we needed to, and getting our defensive line pushed around.  I think Doug and Trent have recognized those problems and have done a lot to fix them.  I could see 9-8, but not a face plant like last season.

A 9-8 record will not doom anyone around here

Would take something else significant along with that

It's pretty obvious that Khan is pleased with mediocrity so, no, I don't see anyone getting fired while Trevor is around to keep the team from sliding into complete ineptness. But I could see Trevor deciding to flex in a few years and make them use the tag on him a few times before he leaves as a free agent to choose a team that has a competent GM.

For what it's worth, only Baalke should be headed out the door. Doug and Trevor have done an incredible job making chicken salad with the chicken [BLEEP] Baalke has been supplying them.

Human psychology is amazing.  This thread is a testament to that.  Firing someone after the level of improvements put forth over 3 seasons is such a fan idea.

(05-16-2024, 10:12 AM)HardcoreMoJagFan Wrote: Human psychology is amazing.  This thread is a testament to that.  Firing someone after the level of improvements put forth over 3 seasons is such a fan idea.

No it's not, it's a moronic idea.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato