Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Go for Broke, 2024

The Jaguars have the pieces to do something special this year. This is our best opportunity to make some noise. Trevor is on year 4 of his deal, and we still have some salary cap. Use that cap smartly this year, and don’t hold back. This is our chance to go for the whole thing. Bring in that CB and guard/center vet when opportunity strikes. Make the big trade before the deadline to shore up an area of injury. Let’s go for broke in 2024.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

LOL…. Special huh? Ya, that’s still a big question mark… Hard to be “special” when your star QB is running for his life every game…
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

the team is already doing something special in 2024. thats haveing thier 30th season of being in nfl.   Wink Wink

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(05-16-2024, 07:58 AM)Ronster Wrote: LOL…. Special huh? Ya, that’s still a big question mark… Hard to be “special” when your star QB is running for his life every game…

Hence spending some to beef up interior of line if vets become available.

I get it our window now ready or not. If we don’t make a run at it in the next three years it’s back to square one.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 05-18-2024, 07:23 PM by JagFanatic24. Edited 2 times in total.)

(05-16-2024, 07:58 AM)Ronster Wrote: LOL…. Special huh? Ya, that’s still a big question mark… Hard to be “special” when your star QB is running for his life every game…

With a Hall of Fame Left Tackle in Tony Boselli, Mark Brunell was sacked 50 times in 1996. The following seasons in 1997 and 1998, he was sacked 33 times and 28 times. During that 3 year span, Brunell was sacked 111 times with 57 passing TD and 36 ints.

Trevor Lawrence was sacked 32 times in 2021, 27 times in 2022, and 35 times in 2023. During that 3 year span, Lawrence was sacked 94 times with 58 passing TD and 39 ints. 

*Brunell also had Leon Searcy at Right Tackle and Dave Widell at Center during that 3 year span, and was special in all 3, and he was sacked 17 more times than Lawrence.

Perspective sure is fun isn't it. I don't know sacks were ever our problem, it was 3rd and 1.

You're gonna get sacked in the nfl

(This post was last modified: 05-18-2024, 07:33 PM by JagFanatic24. Edited 2 times in total.)

The Rock says this: If Mc dad-gum Manus makes some basic FGs we punch our ticket to the playoffs.

Oh but..boy…he can kick it off far, and he can make it from 50. Psssh IT DOESN’T MATTER.

Yeah special teams killed us down the stretch as well. We win at least 1 more game with a better kicker

(05-18-2024, 07:20 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:

With a Hall of Fame Left Tackle in Tony Boselli, Mark Brunell was sacked 50 times in 1996. The following seasons in 1997 and 1998, he was sacked 33 times and 28 times. During that 3 year span, Brunell was sacked 111 times with 57 passing TD and 36 ints.

Trevor Lawrence was sacked 32 times in 2021, 27 times in 2022, and 35 times in 2023. During that 3 year span, Lawrence was sacked 94 times with 58 passing TD and 39 ints. 

*Brunell also had Leon Searcy at Right Tackle and Dave Widell at Center during that 3 year span, and was special in all 3, and he was sacked 17 more times than Lawrence.

Yea Brunell was sacked a lot. However he was not pressured as much as TL. TL is more nimble at avoiding and gets the ball off a lot quicker. The biggest difference is that team could RUN the ball. Take a look at the run blocking in clips. The Jag o-line in the 90's made the other team feel the next week they had played the Jaguars the week before.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(05-18-2024, 10:50 PM)Newton Wrote: Yeah special teams killed us down the stretch as well. We win at least 1 more game with a better kicker

Truth

Oh yeah can we please not concede a punt return TD to a chunky FB again please

(This post was last modified: 05-19-2024, 10:56 PM by JagFanatic24. Edited 3 times in total.)

(05-18-2024, 11:07 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(05-18-2024, 07:20 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: With a Hall of Fame Left Tackle in Tony Boselli, Mark Brunell was sacked 50 times in 1996. The following seasons in 1997 and 1998, he was sacked 33 times and 28 times. During that 3 year span, Brunell was sacked 111 times with 57 passing TD and 36 ints.

Yea Brunell was sacked a lot. However he was not pressured as much as TL. TL is more nimble at avoiding and gets the ball off a lot quicker. The biggest difference is that team could RUN the ball. Take a look at the run blocking in clips. The Jag o-line in the 90's made the other team feel the next week they had played the Jaguars the week before.

Brunell didn’t even have the luxury of a 1,000 yard back until 1998 when Fred Taylor came along. 

Brunell was also the leading rusher for a period of time during the 1995 and 1996 seasons. 

Brunell was also the most sacked QB in 1996 and 2001.

Mark was sacked 50 or more times in 3 seasons:

1996 - 50
2000 - 54
2001 - 57

*Brunell started just 10 games in 1995 and was sacked 39 times.

Brunell was more ‘nimble’ than Lawrence, which was the case when he led all QBs in rushing yards in 1996, with 480 yards rushing. He was often compared to another great running QB in Steve Young.

(05-19-2024, 05:25 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: Oh yeah can we please  not concede a punt return TD to a chunky FB again please

That was so incredibly infuriating. Haha. We can laugh a little now about it.

(05-18-2024, 07:20 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:

That 96-98 line could run block. 

Go look up average depth of target for 96-98 and compare it to 21-23. I'd imagine they are very different. 

Brunell held the ball longer and attempted longer throws more often.
Very different scheme and play calling. (and a high level run game)

Pederson's mesh concept passing game gets the ball out in under 2 seconds often - and most of those quick passes travel less than 10 yards. 

That wasn't part of the offense for the Brunell-era Jags. 
He spent plenty of time waiting for a receiver to come open on intermediate and deep routes. 
That's gonna push up your sack number. 
But with Jimmy Smith out there - it paid off often enough to back off the back seven for the RBs to cook. 

I wonder what Lawrence would look like in the modern version of an offensive scheme like the one Coughlin and Gilbride ran? Ostensibly more time to throw with a pocket to work from more often - but less quick hit plays.

Don't leave our QB broken in 2024

(05-20-2024, 10:15 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-18-2024, 07:20 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: With a Hall of Fame Left Tackle in Tony Boselli, Mark Brunell was sacked 50 times in 1996. The following seasons in 1997 and 1998, he was sacked 33 times and 28 times. During that 3 year span, Brunell was sacked 111 times with 57 passing TD and 36 ints.

That 96-98 line could run block. 

Go look up average depth of target for 96-98 and compare it to 21-23. I'd imagine they are very different. 

Pederson's mesh concept passing game gets the ball out in under 2 seconds often - and most of those quick passes travel less than 10 yards. 

He spent plenty of time waiting for a receiver to come open on intermediate and deep routes. 
But with Jimmy Smith out there - it paid off often enough to back off the back seven for the RBs to cook. 

I wonder what Lawrence would look like in the modern version of an offensive scheme like the one Coughlin and Gilbride ran? Ostensibly more time to throw with a pocket to work from more often - but less quick hit plays.

He'd be a menace. I would say on par with guys like Dan Marino, John Elway & Jim Kelly as far as big plays downfield. I keep going back to last year or the year before. With very, very limited opportunities to take shots downfield? The kid was money. One of the best in the NFL, if not, the best if I am not mistaken. 

It's a shame we can't really unleash his full arm talent and potential because of this poor line play up front and lack of running game. His game should be more play action and 5 step drop worthy instead of this quick hit nonsense out of the gun. It works, to some extent, but, it just feels like we're honestly holding the kid back.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(05-16-2024, 07:51 AM)Newton Wrote: The Jaguars have the pieces to do something special this year. This is our best opportunity to make some noise. Trevor is on year 4 of his deal, and we still have some salary cap. Use that cap smartly this year, and don’t hold back. This is our chance to go for the whole thing. Bring in that CB and guard/center vet when opportunity strikes. Make the big trade before the deadline to shore up an area of injury. Let’s go for broke in 2024.

I get the notion here, but really this team should be ready to compete for a division title right now without doing anything additional with the roster. 

They have essentially "gone for broke" for three years running with offseason spending and a nice number of early picks. They have added plenty of talent, even if some of it is still young and unproven.  

Now it comes down to coaching and getting the most out of the talent in place IMO. 

Like every team they have a few positions with sketchy depth, so injuries at those positions could ruin their "run"

The OL may still be a concern but they did add pieces at the two weakest positions of the line (LG/C) and they did add a 4th rounder whose college coach swears he can play tackle or guard on either side. 

I think we could see some depth shifting around as other teams make cuts, but I think the core is in place and it should be a competitive group. 
Up to Pederson and Nielsen now to get them ready and plan properly for each matchup in the Fall/Winter.

(05-21-2024, 07:53 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(05-20-2024, 10:15 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: That 96-98 line could run block. 

He'd be a menace. I would say on par with guys like Dan Marino, John Elway & Jim Kelly as far as big plays downfield. I keep going back to last year or the year before. With very, very limited opportunities to take shots downfield? The kid was money. One of the best in the NFL, if not, the best if I am not mistaken. 

It's a shame we can't really unleash his full arm talent and potential because of this poor line play up front and lack of running game. His game should be more play action and 5 step drop worthy instead of this quick hit nonsense out of the gun. It works, to some extent, but, it just feels like we're honestly holding the kid back.

I'm reminded of a stat that NYC had earlier about play action passing from under center and how Lawrence was something like 1st in YPA and at a 120 something rating but we could only do it 40 times because of the trash line in front of him. Yeah, he'd a talked about with Mahomes if he had some blocking.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato