Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pass Rush 2016

I know most folks are anxious to see Fowler get more pressure but it's important to remember that these guys are getting very little time on the field in these preseason games. 

Gus had the D starters on the field for two series on Saturday vs the Bucs and they had eight chances to rush the passer. 

Malik had a pressure at 3tech.

Abry Jones had a pressure (bull-rushed his man/made Winston move)

Fowler had a pressure. (inside stunt)

Yannick nearly had one but arrived a hair late. (the pass was released, but tipped and picked) 

That happened over the course of eight pass plays.  Guess how many completions Winston had during those two series....

Zero. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Too much logic. Too much common sense. I can't take it!!!

But..... I thought we decided Fowler was a bust?
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:But..... I thought we decided Fowler was a bust?

Trade him for gabbert.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:Trade him for gabbert.

Genius. Then trade Blake for a 6th? Or do you think we could get like a 4th for him since he hasn't thrown an INT yet this year?
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

I have a feeling Ngakoue may have the better stat year and everyone will be saying Fowler was a bust.

Lets not make it like the pass rush was not the nemesis for this team the past 5 years and the preseason this year so far is the first we are seeing it.

When we talk pass rish, I'm not specifically referring to the DE. If our line, is getting adequate pass rush as a unit, then it's doing their job. It's not about the sacks. It's about the pressures and hurries.

Quote:I have a feeling Ngakoue may have the better stat year and everyone will be saying Fowler was a bust.

Agreed. I don't think such a scenario would equate to Fowler being a bust, but I do believe Ngakoue has the higher upside at the DE position. I always thought, (even when we drafted him), that Fowler would be best suited to play OTTO.

Fowler did get a nice hit on Jameson on 3rd down.  Would like to see him make an impact this week.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:When we talk pass rush, I'm not specifically referring to the DE. If our line, is getting adequate pass rush as a unit, then it's doing their job. It's not about the sacks. It's about the pressures and hurries.

That's why I pointed out the 3 pressures in the first 8 passing downs that occurred vs the bucs.   I think that's a very positive sign that we will see adequate pressures and hurries from this unit. 

Quote:That's why I pointed out the 3 pressures in the first 8 passing downs that occurred vs the bucs. 4 I think that's a very positive sign that we will see adequate pressures and hurries from this unit.

And that was without Miller too
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

I would keep Hardy's number on speed dial. Unless Fowler shows something.  Yannick alone wont help.

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Yannick might have more sacks, but he won't have more tackles because the coaches will do everything within their power to keep him from playing run defense. He is dreadful. I'd be stunned if he ever became a starter in this league. However, pressuring the QB as a situational pass rusher is of huge importance. Right now Fowler is a far better player than Yannick. It isn't close. There is no debate.

I tend to disagree.  When last year we struggled on third downs a pure pass rusher is what we really need.   If ya need more proof look at the year we had a top 5 d.  But couldn't rush the passer.  But we were number one against the run?  Did we sniff the playoffs?  Nope.

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

We did get most improved front seven, we were 2nd in most improved secondary, and 4th in most improved backfield

https://jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/to...rush-2016/

I thought our push up the middle was pretty good.

I'm excited about having marks back at 100%. Our edge rushing may take a while to get where we want it. But I look at the d line like I look at the o line.

It's the performance as a unit that will either worry me or not. We flushed out Jamis a few times. I think that was a good take away.

Fowler, Jack , Telvin at LB would be nice If they did play Fowler at OTTO. He did drop back a good bit while at UF so its there to think about. Would give us crazy speed at LB.

Then in Nickel they could just slide him(fowler) to DE across from Yannick and still end up with all 3 on the field. They like to keep a Big End on 4-3 looks I wonder if someone like Day, Bennett or Marks could play that role across from Yannick and then as said come off the field for a more speed rush look in nickel situations with Fowler and Yannick.

So far the only guys rushing well when not blitzing are Ngakoue and Chris Smith. Marks gets an honorable mention.

No pain, no gain.

Quote:So far the only guys rushing well when not blitzing are Ngakoue and Chris Smith. Marks gets an honorable mention.
Watch number 90 next game. He's pretty good.