Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pass Rush 2016

Quote:This. Coaches aren't going to show their hand in games that don't count. Preseason is solely about evaluation.

^Yup. Preseason.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I'd be interested to see what the ratio of pressures to pass plays is for a team like Denver
I'm sure Denver's ratio is higher, but I think this unit's ratio will rise when they get to rush 25-30 times instead of 8. 

Pass rush often becomes more effective later in the game.  This pass rush is a long way from Denver comparisons but I really think they'll pressure more than last year. 

Wash is more aggressive and that will help as will the obvious talent infusion.

Wash also isn't afraid to to send help on 1st down. Anyone else notice the 5th man blitzing on first down in each of the first two games? 

Quote: 

Wash also isn't afraid to to send help on 1st down. Anyone else notice the 5th man blitzing on first down in each of the first two games? 

I did notice that, I was pleasantly surprised. I doubt Wash will have some of the blatant consistencies Babich showed.

IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:you dont think he is a bust? Whew, I feel better now

Sensative much?
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Even if he doesn't develop much as a pass rusher this year I think Fowler will excell in "clean up duty" as the year goes on.

At worst I think he makes a good linebacker.

Some of you need to chill out.

The pass rush will be just fine.

Quote: 

Pass rush often becomes more effective later in the game.  

Are you sure?

I thought more often than not, a good OL will wear out a defensive line. That is the entire point of sticking with the run, to start breaking big gains later in the game.

Only exceptions I can think of would be if the DL has amazing depth or you are winning by a lot and thus making the other team one-dimensional. There are flashes this team could do either or even both of those things, but we need to see if first.

Quote:Are you sure?

I thought more often than not, a good OL will wear out a defensive line. That is the entire point of sticking with the run, to start breaking big gains later in the game.

Only exceptions I can think of would be if the DL has amazing depth or you are winning by a lot and thus making the other team one-dimensional. There are flashes this team could do either or even both of those things, but we need to see if first.

Good point, but - Don't confuse the run defense with the pass rush.

They are different animals.

One point of having rotational pass rushers is to have some with fresh legs later in the game. And they are facing guys that have played every snap at that point. Some of these guys rushing on third downs in the fourth quarter will have only played 15-20 snaps in the game prior to that.

I'll find some examples later when I have time of games that show the pass rush getting home more late in the game.

And yes, there will be games in 2016 where our opponents HAVE to pass to catch up on the scoreboard making this more evident.

I think whichever side is having to be the reactive one in the 4th is at the disadvantage.

Real good idea letting Greg Hardy walk! At least, "WE GOT SKUTA!"  :thanks:  :thumbsup:

Might be worth kicking the tires on Paul Kruger??

If Marks is healthy I think we will be just fine. I worry more about the linebackers in pass defense

Quote:If Marks is healthy I think we will be just fine. I worry more about the linebackers in pass defense

The weakness of this defense is evident, it's the edge rush (we're essentially counting on two rookies) and the linebackers, Poz and Telvin are great against the run but both struggle in coverage,the sooner Myles Jack gets on the field (at least in obvious passing situations) the better off this team will be. I think we'll see opposing offenses attack this defense in the short to intermediate passing game with RB's and TE's. 

There's still no pass rush.. The Ginger Rocket had all day to throw the ball.. McCarron had all day to throw the ball... My GF could pick apart this defense with the amount of time our DE's give the QB.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

It's Skuta time!
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Quote:There's still no pass rush.. The Ginger Rocket had all day to throw the ball.. McCarron had all day to throw the ball... My GF could pick apart this defense with the amount of time our DE's give the QB.

McCarron was pressured 11 times. 7 of them with a four man rush - 4 with a blitz. 

Not bad for 15 passing downs actually.  Of course he had some scrub tackles protecting him. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-cin...guars-win/

(This post was last modified: 08-30-2016, 04:27 PM by irontrooper83.)

I think they pass rush should improve as the season go on and with game planning. (although it wasn't really encouraging against Cincinnati) I'm more concerned by how our LB's are in coverage honestly, that's why I hope Jack will be on the field soon enough on obvious passing downs and they start giving him a defined role on the team. 

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2016/8/31/1...every-play

Pretty cool stuff. I like when the author says, its arguable that Branch and Clemons were better than Fowler and Ngakoue. 

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2016, 06:26 AM by irontrooper83.)

Quote:http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2016/8/31/1...every-play

Pretty cool stuff. I like when the author says, its arguable that Branch and Clemons were better than Fowler and Ngakoue. 
It was an interesting read. 

So the summary (according to that article) of the 3 preseason games for Fowler and Ngakoue is :

<p style="font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:17px;color:rgb(59,59,59);">Dante Fowler: 37 snaps, 0 sacks, 0 tackles, 1 pressure

<p style="font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:17px;color:rgb(59,59,59);">Yannick Ngakoue: 44 snaps, 1 sack, 1 tackle, 0 pressures

<p style="font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:17px;color:rgb(59,59,59);"> 

<p style="font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:17px;color:rgb(59,59,59);">We'll see how it goes once regular season with all the gameplanning and everything starts.

<p style="font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:17px;color:rgb(59,59,59);">I have to say I really want to see more of Tyrone Holmes tonight. 

I dig the total lack of perspective in pieces like this. 

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!