Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Depth concern.

The starters have looked great so the big  concern outside of pass rush..  My biggest concern is with the depth on this team.  Starters will miss games and the backups need to be fill those voids and atleast be decent in their absense. To be blunt, other teams bums seem much better than our bums.  Henne is a terrible backup Qb, Denard Robison might not make the roster, the team only has 2 receivers it can really count on to stay healthy, the backup dline and olines are awful. 

This year is going to be really interesting.  This team could go from 10 wins to 5 depending on health.  I know this is true for most teams but this roster is extremely thin on the back end.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I disagree. I like our depth everywhere but pass rush DE and the backup spot behind Bortles. If BB gets hurt and is out 4-6 weeks, I don't think he can win enough games to keep us in contention.

Watching 11 second stringers at once is a world different than watching 9 starters and 2 back-ups playing together. 

Yes, the depth is thin at some positions and the drop-off in talent is scary at a few as well. 

But if they aren't down three or four starters for multiple games, they'll be alright.

It's different when it's all backups in a game as opposed to just one or two people coming in with the starters
Chicken nuggets is like my family.

I don't know man. The Bucs 1st team had to convert a 4th down to score on our 2nd team.

Quote:I don't know man. The Bucs 1st team had to convert a 4th down to score on our 2nd team.
That's a good thing then. To me it looked as if we would have trounced them if this were a regular season game.
Chicken nuggets is like my family.

I was sort of thinking the opposite. That is, most of our 2nd string defense could be a starting defense on other teams.

The main area we still need depth is along the OL, and at QB although I'm hoping Allen steadily develops in time to play when he's truly needed. Relying on Henne for anything is simply beyond stupid. He should have retired years ago. Stick a fork in him.

'02

Joekel's improved play gives me a lot of hope regarding the LT position. I'm eager to see what Beachum can do.

Every team in the league has this problem.
"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Quote:Every team in the league has this problem.

Pretty much. Look at Dallas. From playoffs to 4th pick bc of one injury.

If depth is really our biggest problem, we're on a good path
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

The problem is that for the 2nd teams, the "captains" or lead communicators are not the best right now. On offense, it is because Henne is underperforming. On Defense it is because Jack is learning on the fly. 

The 2nd team's mistakes are primarily in communicating and recognizing situations. Those are things that get a lot better with a week of practice with the 1st team and having the starters to help them through that. Also, if you have issues with those things and are trying to fix it on the field, you can seem a step slow because you are thinking instead of reacting. 

If anything, given the 3 year crash and burn rebuild of the team, this is totally expected. 

FWIW, the current second team looks like our starters did in 2012... We have greatly improved the talent on this team. I am always ready for football season, no matter how my team is doing, but this year is really different. it feels like everything is coming together for the first time in so very long!

The second stringers are fine, Henne is trash so the offense gets like 20 seconds on the field. You factor in that the second stringers using a third string players on the depth chart (D. Robinson, Nic Jacobs etc.).

Our 2nd string D looked fine against the Bucs 1st's the other day. Would have stopped them if not for a dumb penalty and a 4th down conversion.

Depth Concerns ??  Shouldn't we wait until we win more than 5 games in a season to worry about depth concerns?

The Bucs starting O struggled to get into the endzone vs. our 2nd team D and Henne did not look good throwing to Neal Sterling. I'm concerned.

Line depth is bad but that's pretty common all over the league.

Quote:Depth Concerns ?? Shouldn't we wait until we win more than 5 games in a season to worry about depth concerns?

NO. we must he a raging ball of panic and over concern!

Welp.

The WR depth on this team is really good IMO. Our 4th receiver is Rashad Greene, correct? That's pretty good. 

We are in trouble already from ESPN:

Jacksonville Jaguars

The Jaguars are banged up on the defensive line. Roy Miller is questionable for the rest of the preseason because of a quad injury, and Sheldon Day (back), Michael Bennett (hip) and Abry Jones (quad) are dealing with injuries this week as well. Miller and Jones are nose tackles, so the Jaguars are very thin at that spot, which means a lot more work for bubble player Richard Ash, who has been productive in both preseason games. -- Mike DiRocco

Quote:We are in trouble already from ESPN:

Jacksonville Jaguars

The Jaguars are banged up on the defensive line. Roy Miller is questionable for the rest of the preseason because of a quad injury, and Sheldon Day (back), Michael Bennett (hip) and Abry Jones (quad) are dealing with injuries this week as well. Miller and Jones are nose tackles, so the Jaguars are very thin at that spot, which means a lot more work for bubble player Richard Ash, who has been productive in both preseason games. -- Mike DiRocco

Richard Ash sure has had a lot of reps late in games, but I'm still not sold on him. He has a shot to make the Practice Squad, but I'm not even sure he's worth a spot. I noticed we had a chance to stuff the oh-so-pathetic Storm Johnson from scoring a TD, but Ash was once again blown backwards opening up a crease for Storm to score. Like Henne, it's tough for me to understand why he's still on the roster.

'02