Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
My thoughts through first 2 preseason games

Quote:Also, Julius Thomas has been invisible.

Yes, but Bortles hasn't even thrown 20 passes yet. Thomas should have caught a TD in week 1 but I'm sure he'll get plenty more opportunities.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-21-2016, 08:51 AM by SeldomRite.)

Quote:Sen'Derrick Marks stood out most for me tonight. He was throwing himself into the backfield on every snap. Hopefully he's getting confidence in the knee. Ramsey could be the DROY this year. This guy is trying to make a play on every snap and brings swag to the defense. Dante Fowler was lethargic again tonight. Just the typical DE that gets lost in the scrum. Ngakoue has been more effective thus far. Jack got limited work with the second team defense that got torched and penalized all night. The OLine looked most improved from last week. The offense isn't elite yet but I think it's getting close this year. I would like to see Jack get some reps with the 1's for next weeks dress rehearsal game.

Coming out of college he was pegged as a guy that didn't have any moves and was making his (paltry amount of) QB hits and sacks by coming in unblocked. Looks like the knock on him was correct so far.

Andre Branch 2.0? Maybe not, but he's definitely going to need proper coaching and desire if he's going to develop into a guy worthy of a top 5 pick.

Quote:Also, Julius Thomas has been invisible.

That's what happens when a team is stacked with weapons.
;

;

(This post was last modified: 08-21-2016, 09:11 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

Remember in the not so distant past when it was considered foul language on here to even suggest getting rid of Hamneck Henne because he was so in tune with the offense and all that jazz? Yeah, well.

Maybe he will take league minimum just to hang around and be Blake's friend?

Fowler looks fine. He looks like a rookie trying to figure things out. I'm stunned people don't get that. Yannick looks unimpressive so far. I'm glad the coaches are keeping him as strictly a situational pass rusher and not letting him near the field on run plays even with the backups. I expect little from Yannick this season. I'm hoping Fowler figures things out enough to contribute 6-8 sacks. I know he'll be solid against the run. 

After hearing how Myles Jack has come along, I think it shows how great a player we have in Telvin.

As far as backups go Id say yes to Vick, Mettenberger,and Yates. Maybe category is Fales and the NOPES being Geno,Manuel and Flynn. Now if the Bucs were letting Glennon walk that would be another mark for the yes category he certainly has potential still.

On Senderrick - Playing like a man possessed. He wants to prove that he is still the same guy the organization was drooling all over before Malik Jackson. This is manifesting itself in a good way with increased fire and focus.

on Telvin - Very similar to Senderrick Marks he was "the young stud" we all were gushing over and now with Ramsey.Jack and Fowler in the mix he is fighting hard to stand out. Unfortunately its manifesting in over pursuing plays (week 1 jets) and needless penalties (Winston Slam). He needs to reel it in and get refocused.

Quote: Big test Next week against the Bengals.

I have followed the Bengals for many, many years (due to my old age, geographic location, etc..).

Cincy is not a good barometer team to compare against during the preseason.

-They never fully game-plan a preseason game.

-They don't show any exotic play calling at all, on either side of the ball (extremely vanilla)

-The starters that play never look like they go full-speed (about half-speed and 50-75% effort)

-They really seem to be just avoiding key injuries,, and evaluating back-up level guys during preseason. That's all.

Cincy has been bitten by key injuries in preseason more times than I can remember. I think they just try to avoid that these days during preseason.

As I stated in another thread:

Last preseason, Cincy played Tampa on a "primetime" slot. Cincy was dreadful. Tampa looked great, and owned them.

Then, the regular season started. Cincy went 6-0 to start, looked terrific on both sides of the ball, and were beating upper-level teams in the league last year.

Tampa? Lol,, no. Not so much.

I wouldn't read too much into what we see against Cincy. I would bet that Cincy looks terrible. They usually do in August.

Quote:That's what happens when a team is stacked with weapons.

True.

Quote:Fowler looks fine. He looks like a rookie trying to figure things out. I'm stunned people don't get that. Yannick looks unimpressive so far. I'm glad the coaches are keeping him as strictly a situational pass rusher and not letting him near the field on run plays even with the backups. I expect little from Yannick this season. I'm hoping Fowler figures things out enough to contribute 6-8 sacks. I know he'll be solid against the run.

Yannick i thought looks pretty good. The only one sniffing the QB.

My thought is that it is preseason, and we have been through the two least important preseason games of the preseason.

But:

Bortles looks efficient. That TD throw to Hurns was gorgeous, even though the throwing mechanics weren't great. It seems like we will see a much more balanced, improved, efficient offense this season. Bortles plays a huge role in this improvement. Ivory and Yeldon are boss. Robinson and Hurns obviously look good. Offensive line played solid again (the 1s atleast). We will see Julius making an impact come the regular season.

Defensively, all these new pieces just need to gel. I wouldn't expect this defense to look how they are supposed to until a little further into the regular season. The very sloppy tackling against the Bucs was bothersome though.

Love how Ramsey looked. You can see the confidence he has in limited reps. He's going to be a perfect fit in this scheme.
No commercial messages in sigs

Jason Myers has looked pretty okay.  

I wonder if anyone still wishes we had drafted Roberto Aguayo.   So far, he looks like last year's Jason Myers. 

Quote:My thought is that it is preseason, and we have been through the two least important preseason games of the preseason.

But:

Bortles looks efficient. That TD throw to Hurns was gorgeous, even though the throwing mechanics weren't great. It seems like we will see a much more balanced, improved, efficient offense this season. Bortles plays a huge role in this improvement. Ivory and Yeldon are boss. Robinson and Hurns obviously look good. Offensive line played solid again (the 1s atleast). We will see Julius making an impact come the regular season.

Defensively, all these new pieces just need to gel. I wouldn't expect this defense to look how they are supposed to until a little further into the regular season. The very sloppy tackling against the Bucs was bothersome though.

Love how Ramsey looked. You can see the confidence he has in limited reps. He's going to be a perfect fit in this scheme.

Ramsey is a spectacular nickleback/slot corner.   Great in coverage over the middle, great in run support.   I know he's a fine regular corner, but it's so tempting to put him closer to the ball where he can do run support as well as coverage.   It almost seems like a waste to put him on a WR. 

(This post was last modified: 08-21-2016, 10:38 AM by maheo30.)

Quote:Yannick i thought looks pretty good. The only one sniffing the QB.

I'm only through the first quarter of re-watching the game. Yannick only got near the QB once and that was with a speed rush. Still, the LT did his job. The bucs think so little of Yannick they used a TE at times one on one. The TE pancaked him once and drove him back 10 yards on another. I finally got to see Yannick in run defense to see if he has improved since college. He hasn't at all. It was embarrassing just like in college. Fowler needs to stay healthy or we are in trouble. 

Fowler and Yannick aren't utilizing their speed. Fowler seems enamored with the bull rush and god knows why. That isn't his best weapon. His use of the spin move is a complete waste. Yannick is bull rushing more than speed rushing too. Maybe, since it is preseason they are working on those areas of their game. I hope so. Fowler actually got to Winston, putting a nice hit on him forcing him to over throw the receiver. Also, Fowler got double-teamed one time which tells you what the bucs think of his talent. 

Quote:Ramsey is a spectacular nickleback/slot corner. Great in coverage over the middle, great in run support. I know he's a fine regular corner, but it's so tempting to put him closer to the ball where he can do run support as well as coverage. It almost seems like a waste to put him on a WR.

I think we will see a balance between him playing the slot and playing outside, depending on the match ups. He looked good in both roles against Tampa
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:Tebow? 

Just kidding. 
I actually thought of Tebow and believe I am not a big Tebow fan but he would be able to scramble around behind a so so line and he biggest liability his accuracy would be okay since the offense designed for Bortles does not require great accuracy.  However, I think he has been out of football too long to be effective. 

Quote:I'm only through the first quarter of re-watching the game. Yannick only got near the QB once and that was with a speed rush. Still, the LT did his job. The bucs think so little of Yannick they used a TE at times one on one. The TE pancaked him once and drove him back 10 yards on another. I finally got to see Yannick in run defense to see if he has improved since college. He hasn't at all. It was embarrassing just like in college. Fowler needs to stay healthy or we are in trouble. 

Fowler and Yannick aren't utilizing their speed. Fowler seems enamored with the bull rush and god knows why. That isn't his best weapon. His use of the spin move is a complete waste. Yannick is bull rushing more than speed rushing too. Maybe, since it is preseason they are working on those areas of their game. I hope so. Fowler actually got to Winston, putting a nice hit on him forcing him to over throw the receiver. Also, Fowler got double-teamed one time which tells you what the bucs think of his talent. 

Thank you, I know I seen that play earlier, but they never showed a replay, but yet we have people on here and twitter claiming Folwer didnt do anything and never got near the QB. I wish I could get a Gif of the play.

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote:Thank you, I know I seen that play earlier, but they never showed a replay, but yet we have people on here and twitter claiming Folwer didnt do anything and never got near the QB. I wish I could get a Gif of the play.

I think it's because he wasn't even blocked on that play. Regardless people are being a bit over dramatic now about his lack of production and before when he was crushing our oline. People need to settle down on making certain statements until we've seen more, but that's normal.

(This post was last modified: 08-21-2016, 11:50 AM by maheo30.)

Quote:I think it's because he wasn't even blocked on that play. Regardless people are being a bit over dramatic now about his lack of production and before when he was crushing our oline. People need to settle down on making certain statements until we've seen more, but that's normal.

You are correct. He stunted on the play. It was a perfect display of his athleticism. He came around, found an open spot in the o-line and exploded through it. I will say, I think Yannick is a more polished pass rusher right now only because his motion is never wasted. When those guys get some experience and figure things out they could be a scary tandem. We have to be patient. They are rookies. 

Quote:Foles is a Chief. They signed him like a week ago.

Yeah that's right. Now that you say that I remember. I was feeling too lazy to Google. Thank you.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."