Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A question about Fowler for the folks who could make it to practice last week

(This post was last modified: 08-19-2016, 09:59 AM by dwolf.)

In the first could weeks of camp the stories out of camp were that Fowler was nearly unblockable at times.  Then against the Jets and now in practice against the Bucks he is anything but unblockable.

My question is, in all those drills where he could not be blocked was he going against Wells?  With them practicing Joeckel at guard and using Wells to fill in at left tackle that would seem to put Fowler on Wells.  If I remember correctly Wells had some really bad numbers in one on one drills which would make sense if he was the guy getting beat by Fowler all the time.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Dante will be a very good (hopefully stud) payer for us.  I was just not there since work kept me from making any of the practices this year I am curious if his early production was aided by going against one of our worst offensive tackles.

So does anyone who made to practice remember who he was going against when he was dominating?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Wells, Joeckel, Parnell, Shatley... he beat out pretty much everyone.

Two of his "impressive" plays were against Wells and Parnell

IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

I think anyone expecting this dude to hit double digit sacks right off rip are probably kidding themselves.

Regardless of how he has looked in practices and fake games, he is still essentially a rookie.

It'll take time for him to be a dominant player, if he ever does.

Yes he looked better VS our inferior Oline guys, so in that aspect, he should still dominate other bad Olines and probably will struggle at times with good OTs.

He's no Von Miller, I guess.

Quote:He's no Von Miller, I guess.
Second time I've read such a comment...

got a link to this cuz I never heard/read/saw it anywhere.

the Fowler=Miller comp.

From what I've seen so far, is he likes to try and dance at the point of attack and then tries to do this spin move that doesn't seem to shift left or right but keep him in the same spot. I think he'll get most of his sacks off off assisted pressure from the tackle on his side.

In a Marks, Jackson, Ngakoue, and Fowler rush, he will get free or one of the other 3 will.

Quote:From what I've seen so far, is he likes to try and dance at the point of attack and then tries to do this spin move that doesn't seem to shift left or right but keep him in the same spot. I think he'll get most of his sacks off off assisted pressure from the tackle on his side.

In a Marks, Jackson, Ngakoue, and Fowler rush, he will get free or one of the other 3 will.
Yeah... we don't need ONE of them to get to the QB. We need ANY of them to.

Pressure from the inside will give Fowler his chances. If they move help to the outside our inside guys Jackson, Odrick, Marks... they'll make plays.

I'm not worried about Fowler at all. Dude has 0 REAL NFL snaps under his belt.

I don't expect him to be a double digit sack guy out of the box but I would hope he can get more than 5 or 6.

Joeckel and Parnell are at least average NFL O-line players.  Wells has always seemed sub-par to me so it was my hope that all of Fowler's success was not against one of our worst.  I appreciate the information.

Quote:Second time I've read such a comment...

got a link to this cuz I never heard/read/saw it anywhere.

the Fowler=Miller comp.

That comparison was from Jackson.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...r-vonesque

Quote:I don't expect him to be a double digit sack guy out of the box but I would hope he can get more than 5 or 6.

Joeckel and Parnell are at least average NFL O-line players.  Wells has always seemed sub-par to me so it was my hope that all of Fowler's success was not against one of our worst.  I appreciate the information.
Khalil Mack only got like 6 his rookie year, iirc.

I wouldn't be upset if Fowler only ends up with 6... As long as the pressure is there. We have a lot of new faces on the Dline. I imagine they'll all be making plays. Yes, Fowler was drafted to be a cornerstone. So was Ramsey, and Jack... But they are still very young.

Excellence takes time.

Look at Bortles, as a rook, he looked... well, not like the 3rd overall selection should look, at times.

Now we're all giving him a real good stroke job.

Patience is a virtue 

(This post was last modified: 08-19-2016, 10:22 AM by Kane.)

Quote:That comparison was from Jackson.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...r-vonesque
Oh my.... hadn't read that...

OH Malik.....

teammates always give stroke jobs like that though...

I thought someone had made the comp during draft talk and such...

edit:

Von-esque is not quite the same as being "Von Miller"

it's like Bortles being Big Ben-esque, or Favre-like.

Quote:Khalil Mack only got like 6 his rookie year, iirc.

I wouldn't be upset if Fowler only ends up with 6... As long as the pressure is there. We have a lot of new faces on the Dline. I imagine they'll all be making plays. Yes, Fowler was drafted to be a cornerstone. So was Ramsey, and Jack... But they are still very young.

Excellence takes time.

Look at Bortles, as a rook, he looked... well, not like the 3rd overall selection should look, at times.

Patience is a virtue 

I suppose you are right.  So long as the QB does not have time to make a cup of coffee while he waits on his receivers to get open I will be happy lol.  I really don't care who gets to the QB just so long as someone gets to the QB.

Quote:Khalil Mack only got like 6 his rookie year, iirc.

Excellence takes time.

Patience is a virtue 

I think most level headed fans understand this, the concern is we're counting on (essentially) two rookies to provide a pass rush off the edge, like you said earlier, it's rare for rookie pass rushers to make an immediate impact. This is why the team (albeit with backlash) brought Greg Hardy in for a visit, and while I don't advocate the signing of Hardy, the fact that he was "brought in" leads me to believe the Jags aren't sold on it's edge rush. If this were the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd year of this regimes administration it'd be different, but we're now in year 4 and this team has to win (Imo) a minimum of 8 games, a large part of that success will be dictated on how many times we're able to affect the opposing QB. What's encouraging is if you look at our schedule, outside of Aaron Rodgers & Philip Rivers the Jags don't play against any other "elite" QB's, I might be in the minority when I say Andrew Luck isn't elite.

He's good against the Jags but he seems to struggle against players from other teams.

Once he gets that fixed, he'll be a beast.

Quote:From what I've seen so far, is he likes to try and dance at the point of attack and then tries to do this spin move that doesn't seem to shift left or right but keep him in the same spot. I think he'll get most of his sacks off off assisted pressure from the tackle on his side.

I agree Dante seems to use up a ton of energy doing nothing.

Quote:I agree Dante seems to use up a ton of energy doing nothing.

From NFL.com's draft profile, highlighting Dante's weaknesses, I think you're on to something. It's nothing a good D-line coach can't fix.

"Bounced all over the field. Raw pass rusher. Still learning nuances of the position. Needs more coordination between hands and feet. Pass-rush approach lacks efficiency and includes too much wasted motion. Expected "speed-to-power" conversion inconsistent on tape. Tackles with length can lock him out and run him over the top. Average lower-body strength with limited window to fend off power. Limited recovery talent when beaten early in snap. Inconsistency against downhill running game is a concern".

IIRC he was moved around at FL, playing both LB and DE, and was not necessarily productive until his last year.  So, I don't worry much about a young guy still learning at the NFL level.  As the profile states, he wasn't a refined rusher coming out.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:IIRC he was moved around at FL, playing both LB and DE, and was not necessarily productive until his last year.  So, I don't worry much about a young guy still learning at the NFL level.  As the profile states, he wasn't a refined rusher coming out.

This, he's also still only 22 years old, which is insane.

Quote:From NFL.com's draft profile, highlighting Dante's weaknesses, I think you're on to something. It's nothing that a combination of
a good D-line coach and extended time spent  practicing / playing
can't fix.

"Bounced all over the field. Raw pass rusher. Still learning nuances of the position. Needs more coordination between hands and feet. Pass-rush approach lacks efficiency and includes too much wasted motion. Expected "speed-to-power" conversion inconsistent on tape. Tackles with length can lock him out and run him over the top. Average lower-body strength with limited window to fend off power. Limited recovery talent when beaten early in snap. Inconsistency against downhill running game is a concern".

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

I will say thia is what I didn't like when I watched breakdowns of Fowler--he seemed small and when a tackle got his hands on him, it was over. He would spin and gyrate and do all kinds of things and go nowhere. Most of his pressure seemed lucky.

He has talent, but he is still very raw.