Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Teddy Bridgewater - making the coaches work around his weaknesses

(This post was last modified: 08-19-2016, 09:38 AM by pirkster.)

Greg Cosell breaks down what Norv Turner is having to do to make things work with him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/greg-cosell...41470.html

Not sure this is sustainable.  If Cosell can break this down rather easily, so will opposing teams.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">"He’s a 6-foot-2 quarterback who, because he has a low, practically sidearm delivery, throws more like he’s 5-11."

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:40px;">"Bridgewater is a young quarterback who breaks down in the pocket when he senses or perceives pressure. He’s very reactive to pressure; he’s not a late-in-the-down quarterback yet. He needs a clean pocket and more functional space than most quarterbacks."

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:40px;">"Turner called defined throws for Bridgewater on third downs. Bridgewater has “slow eyes.” He still doesn’t eliminate what’s not there quickly enough. So Turner adjusted by calling a lot of passes in which the design is to get a receiver open on a defined read right away in the middle of the field, in Bridgewater’s line of vision."

That's quite a lot of compensation for the QB that some billed as "most pro ready" and currently in his third year.

That begs the question... what happens when Norv Turner's contract is up after 2016?

And... what was the "coaching decision" to rest Bridgewater last night about?

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Greg Cosell breaks down what Norv Turner is having to do to make things work with him.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://sports.yahoo.com/news/greg-cosells-qb-study-play-calling-to-maximize-teddy-bridgewater-173341470.html'>http://sports.yahoo.com/news/greg-cosells-qb-study-play-calling-to-maximize-teddy-bridgewater-173341470.html</a>

Not sure this is sustainable. If Cosell can break this down rather easily, so will opposing teams.

<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">"He’s a 6-foot-2 quarterback who, because he has a low, practically sidearm delivery, throws more like he’s 5-11."

<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">"Bridgewater is a young quarterback who breaks down in the pocket when he senses or perceives pressure. He’s very reactive to pressure; he’s not a late-in-the-down quarterback yet. He needs a clean pocket and more functional space than most quarterbacks."

<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">"Turner called defined throws for Bridgewater on third downs. Bridgewater has “slow eyes.” He still doesn’t eliminate what’s not there quickly enough. So Turner adjusted by calling a lot of passes in which the design is to get a receiver open on a defined read right away in the middle of the field, in Bridgewater’s line of vision."

That's quite a lot of compensation for the QB that some billed as "most pro ready" and currently in his third year.

That begs the question... what happens when Norv Turner's contract is up after 2016?

And... what was the "coaching decision" to rest Bridgewater last night about?

I like knocking Bridgewater with the best of them and don't think he'll ever amount to much but... 1) The Vikings line has been god awful for Teddy pass blocking wise. Has been sacked on 8.9% of his drop backs and broke the record for number of passes thrown away apparently 2) Vikings have had nobody receivers the last two years 3) Norvs scheme is notoriously finicky to learn and does not suit Bridgewater at all. 4) Was kept out of the game because the line is really bad and didn't want the Seahawks killing him/ wanted to see how the backups are more than they wanted to play Teddy and risk an injury

Norv Tuner likes to go vertical, Bridgewater has a noddle arm. Just a bad fit.

I give Turner big time credit for making it work.

So... what happens when he's gone?

Do they continue to compensate for the QB at the expense of the running game?

If they move in a different direction as an offense (since Turner isn't likely to return next year,) will they pursue a QB more capable of executing what they want to do rather than scaling back the offense to fit the current QB?

(This post was last modified: 08-19-2016, 01:21 PM by JackCity.)

The credit should go to AP, Norv has only made it harder for that offense to execute properly. When he goes a new coach will be West Coast guy as that fits Bridgewater to a tee.

The whole Norv offense just hasn't worked with who the Vikings have. Don't expect that to change this year either.

He has a weird delivery. Diggs helped him immensely last season.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:The credit should go to AP, Norv has only made it harder for that offense to execute properly. When he goes a new coach will be West Coast guy as that fits Bridgewater to a tee.

The while Norv offense just hasn't worked with who the Vikings have. Don't expect that to change this year either.

But as I suggested, WC may fit Bridgewater at the expense of the running game (which should be the feature.)

Their offense is like trying to run a 4-3 with 3-4 personnel, and vice versa with that run game and Bridgewater together.

Bridgewater is much more effective out of the shotgun, where he can analyze the defense and get rid of the ball quick. He has a similar skillet to Tom Brady where both guys are better off in a quick hitting passing game that emphasizes attacking the short to intermediate part of the field, he doesn't have the arm to drive the ball especially outside the hashes. The problem with that offense is two-fold, Adrian Peterson is much more effective running the ball when the QB is under center (he likes to gets a 7 yard "head-start"), and the Vikings (outside of a diminutive Stefon Diggs) don't have anyone on the outside that consistently wins 1 on 1 match-ups. I think you'll see the Vikings in shotgun formations (at the expense of AP) to get Teddy going, they have to see what they have in their QB. Laquon Treadwell should help as he gets up to speed, his skillset (winning in the short/intermediate part of the field) is perfect for a QB like Bridgewater, all an all I still think Teddy has a chance to be an above average starter, but they need to placate their system to fit his strengths.

Quote:But as I suggested, WC may fit Bridgewater at the expense of the running game (which should be the feature.)

Their offense is like trying to run a 4-3 with 3-4 personnel, and vice versa with that run game and Bridgewater together.

Just a bad fit. Peterson can't run out of shotgun and can't catch out of the backfield, Bridgewater can't push the ball down field or be depended on to to run a throw heavy offense in the NFL. AP doesn't have long left so I'd imagine they will begin to cater to Bridgewater over AP after this season.

I will go on record and say the vertical element will be featured this year with Treadwell. To be clear, I think teddy will put up 4000 20-25tds

Quote:I will go on record and say the vertical element will be featured this year with Treadwell. To be clear, I think teddy will put up 4000 20-25tds

Big expectations for a team that plans on leaning on the legs of AP
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Big expectations for a team that plans on leaning on the legs of AP

Technically, all of turner's offenses have leaned on the legs of the back. Between Treadwell and Rudolph, I think teddy can get 600 and and extra 200 yards respectively. 6 tds from the rookie and an extra Td or two from the TE. There's an article out there on ESPN somewhere detailing Rudolph's role to date in the offense and the changes that are coming. Not really a big jump if you ask me.

3500 yards 22 tds max this year for him.

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

I got a question to those who believe teddy is a below average qb; what numbers would teddy need to put up for him to be legitimate in your mind.

(This post was last modified: 08-19-2016, 07:10 PM by realtorpat.)

Quote:I got a question to those who believe teddy is a below average qb; what numbers would teddy need to put up for him to be legitimate in your mind.
>4300 yards in a season     7 qbs accomplished this

>27 Tds     12 qbs accomplished this

<13 Ints  or a 2:1 td:int ratio  <b>Of the 12 qbs with 27tds 10 managed < or = to 13</b>

>63% completion   <b>Half the starters in the league do this

4 qbs did all of these things last year Brees, Rivers, Brady, Palmer</b>

Now split all this into categories.  If your qb can do 2 of these things he is average, if he can do 3 he is above average, If he can do one he is below average.  If your qb can do all 4 you have one of the best in the league.  Do you consider legitimate average or above average?  Right now Teddy is below average.  If your qb does none of these things he is among the worst in the league.

Go Jags!

Quote:>4300 yards in a season 7 qbs accomplished this

>27 Tds 12 qbs accomplished this

<13 Ints or a 2:1 td:int ratio Of the 12 qbs with 27tds 10 managed < or = to 13

>63% completion Half the starters in the league do this

4 qbs did all of these things last year Brees, Rivers, Brady, Palmer

Now split all this into categories. If your qb can do 2 of these things he is average, if he can do 3 he is above average, If he can do one he is below average. If your qb can do all 4 you have one of the best in the league. Do you consider legitimate average or above average? Right now Teddy is below average. If your qb does none of these things he is among the worst in the league.

That's my question to you, if he does 3/4 things will he be legit in your eyes?

Quote:That's my question to you, if he does 3/4 things will he be legit in your eyes?

Yes

Go Jags!

Any other takers?

I don't think he will ever do more than 2 of those things.  I'm willing to bet my avatar rights for a year on it

Go Jags!

You don't have to take it that far, that might cause some resentment. I'm trying to avoid that.