Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Teddy Bridgewater - making the coaches work around his weaknesses

Quote:Ok so there's nothing he do to change your perception of him. That's really all I was asking.
The guy was hyped more than Andrew Luck on this board coming out.  Was said to be the next Manning, Brady, Montana.  Said we should tank for Teddy, It was very confusing.  Then every team in the league passed him up.  Then since he has shown the reason why.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-20-2016, 07:19 PM by JackCity.)

Quote:Ok so there's nothing he do to change your perception of him. That's really all I was asking.

There was a good SI article a few weeks ago about the game manager tag and how it isn't actually a bad thing. Bridgewater needs to show he can put the team on his back when the run game and defense is failing. He hasn't been able to do that mainly because of how good the Vikings run game/defense is but also because Bridgwater has limitations as a QB which may prevent him from ever being able to do that on a consistent basis.

Quote:There was a good SI article a few weeks ago about the game manager tag and how it isn't actually a bad thing. Bridgewater needs to show he can put the team on his back when the run game and defense is failing. He has been able to do that mainly because of how good the Vikings run game/defense is but also because Bridgwater has limitations as a QB which may prevent him from ever being able to do that on a consistent basis.
I agree with this, some talk about the last thing they would want is QB purgatory but when you have a defense and run game like the Vikings not a mention a few weapons in the passing game, its not a bad thing at all.

Quote:There was a good SI article a few weeks ago about the game manager tag and how it isn't actually a bad thing. Bridgewater needs to show he can put the team on his back when the run game and defense is failing. He hasn't been able to do that mainly because of how good the Vikings run game/defense is but also because Bridgwater has limitations as a QB which may prevent him from ever being able to do that on a consistent basis.

I'd like to read that article, but I guess we're forgetting he drove his team in position for a chip shot field goal against the Seahawks that would have sent them to the NFC championship game.

he reminds me a lot of Aaron Brooks.  Has the same kind of game as Alex Smith

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Bad fit?

Bridgewater is the bad fit.

For the NFL. 

Didn't think he was "all that" in college. Wasn't a fan of the idea of drafting him.

(I compared his "big game" stats with that of Bortles his fellow AAC member and remember asking on this board -- If Teddy, why not Bortles? I was flamed. But I digress.)

There's a reason he -essentially- slid to round 2 in an overall weak QB class (hindsight). I have said over and over this kid leans on that D and on AP (who eventually WILL hit that RB wall).

Teddy "Weaksauce" Bridgewater

And we still got Teddy leg humpers running around these forums. I don't care how much Stefon Diggs made him look good on a few tosses. I'd rank both rookie QBs from last season ahead of Teddy.

Of the "young" QBs

Bortles

Carr

Winston

Mariota

Teddy

Bet he's holding a clipboard in 3 years, and out of the league in 5-6

Quote:Bad fit?

Bridgewater is the bad fit.

For the NFL.

Didn't think he was "all that" in college. Wasn't a fan of the idea of drafting him.

(I compared his "big game" stats with that of Bortles his fellow AAC member and remember asking on this board -- If Teddy, why not Bortles? I was flamed. But I digress.)

There's a reason he -essentially- slid to round 2 in an overall weak QB class (hindsight). I have said over and over this kid leans on that D and on AP (who eventually WILL hit that RB wall).

Teddy "Weaksauce" Bridgewater

And we still got Teddy leg humpers running around these forums. I don't care how much Stefon Diggs made him look good on a few tosses. I'd rank both rookie QBs from last season ahead of Teddy.

Of the "young" QBs

Bortles

Carr

Winston

Mariota

Teddy

Bet he's holding a clipboard in 3 years, and out of the league in 5-6

So the GM of that team didn't consult with norv turner before drafting him? And if he did, are you saying norv said he would pass but the GM took him anyway. Yeah, I buy that...

there is the issue of the Vikings floating the rumor of the bad pro day themselves helping teddy to fall during the draft.

Grown ppl using "leg humpers" in a sentence.

Quote:So the GM of that team didn't consult with norv turner before drafting him? And if he did, are you saying norv said he would pass but the GM took him anyway. Yeah, I buy that...

there is the issue of the Vikings floating the rumor of the bad pro day themselves helping teddy to fall during the draft.

Grown ppl using "leg humpers" in a sentence.
You don't like leg humper?

You prefer fan boy?

Whatever PC term you need to make your feelings better...

I don't know if the GM consulted the coach, I didn't ask or even comment on that.

I said my opinion of said QB and referenced what I said prior to his 2 years in the league.

I don't care for rumors. I saw the tape of the pro day, it was what it was. I saw a kid in college leaning HARD on a defense and putting up stats against soft competition.

I saw his first year where he had a more talented team and mediocre stats, and even still his 2nd year really wasn't that good.

They can keep coddling him for all I care. Eventually he'll be shown up.

And if you are one of his -insert PC jibe here- ....sorry, not sorry.

Quote:You don't like leg humper?

You prefer fan boy?

Whatever PC term you need to make your feelings better...

I don't know if the GM consulted the coach, I didn't ask or even comment on that.

I said my opinion of said QB and referenced what I said prior to his 2 years in the league.

I don't care for rumors. I saw the tape of the pro day, it was what it was. I saw a kid in college leaning HARD on a defense and putting up stats against soft competition.

I saw his first year where he had a more talented team and mediocre stats, and even still his 2nd year really wasn't that good.

They can keep coddling him for all I care. Eventually he'll be shown up.

And if you are one of his -insert PC jibe here- ....sorry, not sorry.

I didn't mention the bit about leg humper because it wasn't pc or it hurt my feelings.

Quote:Greg Cosell breaks down what Norv Turner is having to do to make things work with him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/greg-cosell...41470.html

Not sure this is sustainable.  If Cosell can break this down rather easily, so will opposing teams.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">"He’s a 6-foot-2 quarterback who, because he has a low, practically sidearm delivery, throws more like he’s 5-11."

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:40px;">"Bridgewater is a young quarterback who breaks down in the pocket when he senses or perceives pressure. He’s very reactive to pressure; he’s not a late-in-the-down quarterback yet. He needs a clean pocket and more functional space than most quarterbacks."

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:40px;">"Turner called defined throws for Bridgewater on third downs. Bridgewater has “slow eyes.” He still doesn’t eliminate what’s not there quickly enough. So Turner adjusted by calling a lot of passes in which the design is to get a receiver open on a defined read right away in the middle of the field, in Bridgewater’s line of vision."

That's quite a lot of compensation for the QB that some billed as "most pro ready" and currently in his third year.

That begs the question... what happens when Norv Turner's contract is up after 2016?

And... what was the "coaching decision" to rest Bridgewater last night about?

I'm not a Bridgewater fan. Not a hater. Had the Texans drafted him, I'd have been fine with that. We didn't & I'm fine with that. 

But... he's still a kid. Cossell makes good points, most of them seem true, from what I've seen, but he forgets Teddy is young. He's still figuring out who he is & how he's going to fit in this game at this level. Right now, he's got a very good defense & a very good running back that is helping him win games. Games Ponder couldn't win. Cassell couldn't win. & about nine other QBs who have gone through Minnesota in the last few years. 

If Teddy ever gets to the stage where he's compensating for what he can & can't do... & not Norv or his OC, he's going to be dangerous. 

If he ever gets there that is. He's also pretty smart, so if that defense & run game can keep him in the game & learning on the field... it's just a matter of time. 

ImATexan

Quote:I'm not a Bridgewater fan. Not a hater. Had the Texans drafted him, I'd have been fine with that. We didn't & I'm fine with that. 

But... he's still a kid. Cossell makes good points, most of them seem true, from what I've seen, but he forgets Teddy is young. He's still figuring out who he is & how he's going to fit in this game at this level. Right now, he's got a very good defense & a very good running back that is helping him win games. Games Ponder couldn't win. Cassell couldn't win. & about nine other QBs who have gone through Minnesota in the last few years. 

If Teddy ever gets to the stage where he's compensating for what he can & can't do... & not Norv or his OC, he's going to be dangerous. 

If he ever gets there that is. He's also pretty smart, so if that defense & run game can keep him in the game & learning on the field... it's just a matter of time. 
Bortles is young.

Carr is young.

I mean.. at some point, you draft a dude to be a franchise guy, you want him to look like a franchise guy.

Minnesota ranked #13 in total Def, neither top 10 in passing nor rushing. Hardly a world beating defense propping up anyone. Certainly good tho.

Quote:Minnesota ranked #13 in total Def, neither top 10 in passing nor rushing. Hardly a world beating defense propping up anyone. Certainly good tho.
Don't get it twisted. They were a very good D. Stats don't tell the whole story, you know this.

It's also not all on Teddy. The coaches are coddling him. (Much like the staff of Eminem)

But you don't draft a QB in round 1 to be a game manager. That's what they have in Teddy. 

If we had the #13 total ranked D, bet Bortles is winning playoff games and not relying on a his RB or god forbid a kicker to get it done.

Quote:Don't get it twisted. They were a very good D. Stats don't tell the whole story, you know this.

It's also not all on Teddy. The coaches are coddling him. (Much like the staff of Eminem)

But you don't draft a QB in round 1 to be a game manager. That's what they have in Teddy.

If we had the #13 total ranked D, bet Bortles is winning playoff games and not relying on a his RB or god forbid a kicker to get it done.

I do agree stats don't tell the whole story, I like their d very much. You are saying they are coddling him, but it's far from a secret the OLine was piss poor in pass pro. So much so Rudolph's role was reduced as a receiver. This is also the year they drafted pedigree for the "Irvin" role receiver in this offense. So the offense technically hasn't had the pieces to open it up. What receiver from last year would trade Arob or cooper for? Not saying teddy is some world beater, but let's be reasonable surely the coaches were like," hey, just don't lose the game for us and we will be alright." With that strategy they were within a field goal of going to the NFC championship (a game they most likely would have been obliterated btw). It's not like teddy drove them to a spot where the Kicker was attempting a 50 yarder. It was a chip shot, one where we were shocked Walsh missed it because he's good. You're listing that as a negative against teddy. How many other qbs have put the Kicker in a spot to win the game? Also, if you're a young qb and you have a good defense as well as AP, shouldn't you lean on them in just your second season?

I'm not asking you to become teddy's biggest fan, just be objective in your analysis. He already has a playoff win to his credit. Many have been in his position can't say that.

Tebow "won" a playoff game, so using that as an indicator...

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Tebow "won" a playoff game, so using that as an indicator...

Not using the playoff game as an indicator. Don't want to include it, no problem. My main points were:

Which receivers from the 2015 vikings would you trade for Arob or Amari cooper?

If your 2nd year qb could be lead by your defense and hall of fame running back, would you do it?

Is it uncommon for qbs to drive into field goal range to win a game?

Quote:Not using the playoff game as an indicator. Don't want to include it, no problem. My main points were:

Which receivers from the 2015 vikings would you trade for Arob or Amari cooper?

If your 2nd year qb could be lead by your defense and hall of fame running back, would you do it?

Not using the playoff game as an indicator. Don't want to include it, no problem:  Actually lets include it

His stat line for the game was 17/24 for 146 yards 0/0 td/int

Which receivers from the 2015 vikings would you trade for Arob or Amari cooper?  this is kind of silly to me because every team has its own strengths and weaknesses and you are what you draft.  Did teddy have subpar receivers?  Sure you are what you draft and Minnesota has focused on defense.  The reason we have Arob and the Raiders have Amari is because we chose to draft them.  Vikings had a choice between drafting Anthony Barr, who is a very good player and a host of other receivers (Odell Beckham, Brandin Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin).  Then they went and picked Teddy over Arob and Carr.  The following year was a weak draft class at WR only one that really looks worth it is Tyler Lockett the rest were already gone.  The guy they drafted to be there big time WR didn't work out in Cordarelle Patterson. 

I get that you want to take some blame away from Teddy for how his career has been to this point.  If I draft a QB in the 1st or second round then he should lead my team, if he can't I got the wrong guy.  Ask yourself this, are the vikings a better team with Teddy on it or with Carr, or Arob, or Jarvis Landry, or Jimmy Garrapolo?

its uncommon for a guy to go 17/24 for 146 yards and have a prayer to win a playoff game.  The sad thing is that is only 55 yards off his season average for yards a game.  Heres a fun little comparison   Jacksonville Gabbert < Teddy < SF Gabbert.

Go Jags!

Quote:Not using the playoff game as an indicator. Don't want to include it, no problem: Actually lets include it

His stat line for the game was 17/24 for 146 yards 0/0 td/int

Which receivers from the 2015 vikings would you trade for Arob or Amari cooper? this is kind of silly to me because every team has its own strengths and weaknesses and you are what you draft. Did teddy have subpar receivers? Sure you are what you draft and Minnesota has focused on defense. The reason we have Arob and the Raiders have Amari is because we chose to draft them. Vikings had a choice between drafting Anthony Barr, who is a very good player and a host of other receivers (Odell Beckham, Brandin Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin). Then they went and picked Teddy over Arob and Carr. The following year was a weak draft class at WR only one that really looks worth it is Tyler Lockett the rest were already gone. The guy they drafted to be there big time WR didn't work out in Cordarelle Patterson.

I get that you want to take some blame away from Teddy for how his career has been to this point. If I draft a QB in the 1st or second round then he should lead my team, if he can't I got the wrong guy. Ask yourself this, are the vikings a better team with Teddy on it or with Carr, or Arob, or Jarvis Landry, or Jimmy Garrapolo?

its uncommon for a guy to go 17/24 for 146 yards and have a prayer to win a playoff game. The sad thing is that is only 55 yards off his season average for yards a game. Heres a fun little comparison Jacksonville Gabbert < Teddy < SF Gabbert.

Thanks for responding.

I didn't include the playoff game because someone mentioned Tebow won a playoff game and it was not central to my position. I was trying to clear that up.

To your second point, this was the point I was making subtly. They wanted teddy over carr and have focused mostly on defense in this regime. If teddy doesn't have quality to throw to and he is not a top ten pick, I'm not sure what numbers were expected of him. Also, he has a defensive minded head coach. Most times these coaches prefer ball control offenses to keep their defense fresh and limit turnovers. Patterson is s holdover from the previous regime and does not fit the bill for what turner likes in a premier wr in his offense.

It has nothing to do with taking blame away from Teddy. It's not hard to see his coaches have instructed a more conservative approach. With Carr and Landry, no I don't see a difference. With ARob as one of teddy's targets, yes. I haven't seen enough of Jimmy to give an honest assessment. Fiedler and Alex Smith, two other qbs under turner who weren't known for having cannons for arms. Seems turner prefers something else over arm strength.

Those stats you posted were against the #2 ranked defense. If they got me within a prayer, yeah I would take it. By extension it was 10-9 defensive contest and Russell Wilson went 13/26 142 and he played the lesser ranked defense...

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2016, 02:44 PM by realtorpat.)

Quote:Thanks for responding.

I didn't include the playoff game because someone mentioned Tebow won a playoff game and it was not central to my position. I was trying to clear that up.

To your second point, this was the point I was making subtly. They wanted teddy over carr and have focused mostly on defense in this regime. If teddy doesn't have quality to throw to and he is not a top ten pick, I'm not sure what numbers were expected of him. Also, he has a defensive minded head coach. Most times these coaches prefer ball control offenses to keep their defense fresh and limit turnovers. Patterson is s holdover from the previous regime and does not fit the bill for what turner likes in a premier wr in his offense.

It has nothing to do with taking blame away from Teddy. It's not hard to see his coaches have instructed a more conservative approach. With Carr and Landry, no I don't see a difference. With ARob as one of teddy's targets, yes. I haven't seen enough of Jimmy to give an honest assessment. Fiedler and Alex Smith, two other qbs under turner who weren't known for having cannons for arms. Seems turner prefers something else over arm strength.

Those stats you posted were against the #2 ranked defense. If they got me within a prayer, yeah I would take it. By extension it was 10-9 defensive contest and Russell Wilson went 13/26 142 and he played the lesser ranked defense...
Ugh do I hate when people make the Tebow did it argument haha so I can understand why you said that part.  With that said the Tebow win was an absolute fluke.  Ryan Clark has sickle cell anemia and can't play football in high altitudes, he was the starting FS at the time and the backup left the middle of the field open all day and also gifted the winning td to Thomas.  The ball wasn't even thrown well was behind Thomas and late making him have to break a tackle to get the TD.  I'm team AntiTebow

I really like what Minnesota has done on the defensive side of the ball.  Ever since they've had AP I feel like they have made nothing but dumb decisions on that side of the ball with the exception of their LT and TE.  I prefer a more aggressive approach to offense, if you are unable to open it up you have issues when you need to.

I currently would take Carr, Arob, and Landry on my team over Teddy.  There are plenty of backups around the league that can do what Teddy has done so far.  I'd rather have elite skill players.  Personal preference here as well, I want a strong armed QB if the guy can't make every throw I can't attack any part of the field and thats a problem.

Wilson played a mostly bad game but he did manage a TD and also an INT so that somewhat balances itself out to Teddys 0tds n 0 ints.  Wilson also added 21 yards rushing.  Teddys passing was closer to his season average of 201 than Wilson was to his season average of 253.  Basically saying Wilsons bad game was more of a fluke than Teddys.

I just don't see it with Teddy I don't think he will ever be the Man.  Alex Smith has done little in his career but he had that game against New Orleans that he looked like the man in.  Geno Smith had that game vs GB they ended up losing for some nonsense timeout where he looked like the man.  I've yet to see that kind of game from Teddy.  He has had some good games don't get me wrong but nothing stood out in them.  There was never a dart in between coverage 30 yards down the field or buying time to bomb it down the field its always contained within the structure of the offense.  Only the structure of the offense is being held back because of his inability to do certain things.  I would really like him to be a star because there needs to be more quality QBs in this league I just don't think its going to happen.

Go Jags!

Quote:Ugh do I hate when people make the Tebow did it argument haha so I can understand why you said that part. With that said the Tebow win was an absolute fluke. Ryan Clark has sickle cell anemia and can't play football in high altitudes, he was the starting FS at the time and the backup left the middle of the field open all day and also gifted the winning td to Thomas. The ball wasn't even thrown well was behind Thomas and late making him have to break a tackle to get the TD. I'm team AntiTebow

I really like what Minnesota has done on the defensive side of the ball. Ever since they've had AP I feel like they have made nothing but dumb decisions on that side of the ball with the exception of their LT and TE. I prefer a more aggressive approach to offense, if you are unable to open it up you have issues when you need to.

I currently would take Carr, Arob, and Landry on my team over Teddy. There are plenty of backups around the league that can do what Teddy has done so far. I'd rather have elite skill players. Personal preference here as well, I want a strong armed QB if the guy can't make every throw I can't attack any part of the field and thats a problem.

Wilson played a mostly bad game but he did manage a TD and also an INT so that somewhat balances itself out to Teddys 0tds n 0 ints. Wilson also added 21 yards rushing. Teddys passing was closer to his season average of 201 than Wilson was to his season average of 253. Basically saying Wilsons bad game was more of a fluke than Teddys.

I just don't see it with Teddy I don't think he will ever be the Man. Alex Smith has done little in his career but he had that game against New Orleans that he looked like the man in. Geno Smith had that game vs GB they ended up losing for some nonsense timeout where he looked like the man. I've yet to see that kind of game from Teddy. He has had some good games don't get me wrong but nothing stood out in them. There was never a dart in between coverage 30 yards down the field or buying time to bomb it down the field its always contained within the structure of the offense. Only the structure of the offense is being held back because of his inability to do certain things. I would really like him to be a star because there needs to be more quality QBs in this league I just don't think its going to happen.

I respect your opinion and on its face I can see why you would feel the way you do about teddy. If you look at carr and teddy rookie campaigns you'll note 21 tds from carr, however now that we have his former OC that td production seems like what one can expect given it's a very aggressive, vertical passing scheme. Despite nearly 200 less attempts, teddy was only 351 yds behind carr. Now, I'm not an exclusive stat guy, so I'm going to move away from that entirely. Their offense as far as personnel is not a finished product. If you get a chance watch leap in play from him this year. That may or may not change your mind. I love Blake, so I wouldn't take teddy over him, but definitely over carr.