Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Another Bortles Thread

Hey all, so a few things; everything I've read on here, and the highlights I saw, sound awesome. It seems like things just maybe, MAYBE, are gonna be alright for the ol' Jags.

But, I noticed in the one clip of Bortles big deep ball to Robinson that he still seems to have a habit of underthrowing his receiver. It's been an issue of his for his first two seasons with receivers often needing to slow down or make a play on the ball, and I was wanted ya'lls thoughts on Thursday's game.

Was he really still underthrowing? Was it just a bad stance? How did his other throws look? Is his accuracy improved?

From all that we've seen of him in first two seasons, and the way our WR's play, if he can get the accuracy and oomph to hit Robinson in stride.....oh man. It'll be lights out.

Give me some good news people!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Hey all, so a few things; everything I've read on here, and the highlights I saw, sound awesome. It seems like things just maybe, MAYBE, are gonna be alright for the ol' Jags.

But, I noticed in the one clip of Bortles big deep ball to Robinson that he still seems to have a habit of underthrowing his receiver. It's been an issue of his for his first two seasons with receivers often needing to slow down or make a play on the ball, and I was wanted ya'lls thoughts on Thursday's game.

Was he really still underthrowing? Was it just a bad stance? How did his other throws look? Is his accuracy improved?

From all that we've seen of him in first two seasons, and the way our WR's play, if he can get the accuracy and oomph to hit Robinson in stride.....oh man. It'll be lights out.

Another bortles complaint!!!! Why i am not surprised hearing this from our own fanbase. lol. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2016, 09:48 AM by The Real Marty.)

Quote:Hey all, so a few things; everything I've read on here, and the highlights I saw, sound awesome. It seems like things just maybe, MAYBE, are gonna be alright for the ol' Jags.

The long throw to Robinson was not a great throw.   If he had thrown it more to the right, and a little farther, it could have been a touchdown. 

On the other hand, you have to give Bortles credit for drawing the Jets offside, then taking the free shot down field. 

As far as your comment a bout his supposed habit of underthrowing Robinson, in Robinson's case, it's not necessary to make a perfect throw.  Sometimes, Bortles can just chuck it up there and rely on Robinson to go up and get it. 

If you want some "good news," I would say the good news is that the Jets couldn't stop us in the first quarter, which is the only quarter that really means anything in the first preseason game. 

My coach years ago used to refer to a play such as this as Government Cheese. Freebie that is given out so grab all you can.

Pass was not perfect but his and AR15 awareness to recognize it was outstanding and veteran in nature.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:Another bortles complaint!!!! Why i am not surprised hearing this from our own fanbase. lol. 
It is funny.  No doubt ARob is going to be a great one but he isn't throwing the ball to himself.  The back shoulder throws were perfect. DB had no chance to make a play on either one. 

The good news is he's already lights out.  His command of the offense looks improved and he's got some great receiver talent.  As long as the passes are being completed, who cares if the spirals are perfect are the passes are perfectly thrown?

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Im guessing he intentionally threw it short because he knew it was a free play.  He didn't have to worry about it being intercepted so he gave Arob the best chance at getting his hands on it.....

His throws were nice, except for the one to Thomas in the redzone, that one was short.

Details in the OP are the "next step" for Bortles.

This year seems to be about owning the playbook/scheme and making quicker/better decisions.

I think there will be more fine tuning on his timing & accuracy as he progresses.

Quote:Another bortles complaint!!!! Why i am not surprised hearing this from our own fanbase. lol. 

I'm not complaining, I asked how the guy looked. Jeeze.

Okay, for the record, I am not complaining about Bortles. If you look at my post history you will see I am a staunch supporter and fan of his. But he is like what, 23? He's not a finished product. I was just asking how his game looked in areas that, in my opinion, he seemed to struggled in. All QB's, even the best, have flaws, and Bortles is no exception.

Quote:The good news is he's already lights out.  His command of the offense looks improved and he's got some great receiver talent.  As long as the passes are being completed, who cares if the spirals are perfect are the passes are perfectly thrown?
While this is a fair point, my opinion is that as open as Robinson gets, if Bortles can get to a point where he can hit him in stride consistently without needing to slowdown that combo would be nigh unstoppable.

OP is correct. ARob has shown us plenty ability in the air, but he has just many if not more moves on the ground when the ball is in his hands. Once Bortles masters catching him in stride, lookout!

Quote:While this is a fair point, my opinion is that as open as Robinson gets, if Bortles can get to a point where he can hit him in stride consistently without needing to slowdown that combo would be nigh unstoppable.

Actually, after re-watching that play, I think A-Rob misjudged it and made the catch more difficult than he had too.  He jumped a split-second early and really had to stretch out to grab it.  If he'd not done that the pass actually might have hit him in stride.  Not going to argue with success though.

Quote:Actually, after re-watching that play, I think A-Rob misjudged it and made the catch more difficult than he had too.  He jumped a split-second early and really had to stretch out to grab it.  If he'd not done that the pass actually might have hit him in stride.  Not going to argue with success though.
Nah, Arob played it perfectly...it was just a bad throw. It needed to be at least 10 more yards to the right between the hashes and it would have been an easy TD. 

The rest of the game was very solid for Blake, though. 

https://vine.co/v/5hBWK0zUQuB

That vine makes it pretty clear.

Quote:Nah, Arob played it perfectly...it was just a bad throw. It needed to be at least 10 more yards to the right between the hashes and it would have been an easy TD. 

Lets take into account that blake couldn't step into the throw because a rusher was bearing down on him. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote:Lets take into account that blake couldn't step into the throw because a rusher was bearing down on him.

All of that is taken into account already. He put the ball out there and allowed ARob to make a play. If he wanted a touchdown out of it, he needed to lead it more inside.

P.S. we all love Blake.

Quote:Nah, Arob played it perfectly...it was just a bad throw. It needed to be at least 10 more yards to the right between the hashes and it would have been an easy TD. 

It's actually going to go past him after he slowed up.  He realizes it and his adjustment shows just how athletic the guy is.  Most receivers after misjudging the pass would have muffed the catch.  Notice how he's having to lean forward and stretch to bring it in.  If he'd kept his stride, he would have run right under it.  This frame shows him already pulling the ball in though.

[Image: robinson_catch.png]

Quote:It's actually going to go past him after he slowed up.  He realizes it and his adjustment shows just how athletic the guy is.  Most receivers after misjudging the pass would have muffed the catch.  Notice how he's having to lean forward and stretch to bring it in.  If he'd kept his stride, he would have run right under it.  This frame shows him already pulling the ball in though.

[Image: robinson_catch.png]

It's really more about where the ball was laterally,IMO.   None of that would have mattered  if the ball was thrown closer to the hash because A-Rob could have run right underneath it without contention. 

The throw was to near the sideline (as opposed to the hashmark) despite any jump timing on A-Rob's part. 
I don't care though. I'm  just glad he recognized the free play and took advantage.

This is a funny thread. Bortles made the right decision and a mediocre throw. It was deep enough to work, but also should have been placed between the hash marks for an ideal pass. Either way, though, it was a good enough pass to work.

What impressed me more with the play was that for the first time I can remember Bortles recognized he had a free play with the offsides. The great QBs never miss a chance to make the opponent pay for that kind of mistake.