Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From The Jets Game

One would think that given how long I have been waiting for football season to finally arrive, I would have been excited enough to stay awake throughout the broadcast last night.  However, I fell asleep at halftime and missed the entire 3rd quarter, so my caveat to you is that my impressions, moreso than normal, are formed from incomplete data.

Anyway, here are my thoughts:

1)  Given the state of the offensive line and how talented the Jets front is, I was concerned about Bortles.  However, Bortles played very well overall.  He seemed to make the right decisions, never throwing into double coverage.  For all of the talk he can't throw the traditional, over the shoulder fade, he and AR15 sure seem to have mastered the back shoulder fade.  Without seeing the proper angle, I have no way of knowing whether Bortles saw a S on the deep pass to AR15, but that was a throw, based upon what I DID see, that should have been a TD.  He was also low on the slant to Thomas.  But overall, he seems to be continuing the progress he showed last year, which is a good sign.

2)  I was also pleasantly surprised by the running game.  Yeldon and Ivory found lots of room inside and provided much needed balance to the offense.  Hopefully this will continue into the regular season.  It will make the offense and defense better if it can.

3)  Considering it was the first preseason game, it came as no surprise that some players would be kept out.  It was nevertheless disappointing on some to see the debut of Ramsey and Gipson put off for at least another week.  But we were able to see Malik Jackson and Dante Fowler in game action in Jaguars' colors for the first time.  Malik Jackson was as advertised, providing the pocket push he offered in Denver.  Fowler did not dazzle as he has in camp.  However, I'm still confident he can have impact for us.

4)  There has been a lot of talk about how AR15 has taken his game to another level in camp, but I did not see it during the scrimmage.  But it looked evident last night.  None of the Jets DBs had an answer for him.  To be fair, Revis wasn't on him, but he had success against Revis last year, too.

5)  Continuing on WRs, it was really good to see Marqise Lee being a contributor.  Here's hoping he can stay healthy enough to continue to make plays like that throughout the regular season.

6) What in the world happened on those two back to back plays where Fitzpatrick hit the TE?  I heard something about freelancing on those plays.  I know a few players can make plays on instinct and talent while deviating from the scheme (Junior Seau was one).  I'd like to think that we have players talented enough to do that and not only get away with it, but thrive on it like Seau did.  But I'd much rather the guys stick to the play called and avoid the big plays like that.

7)  Rookie Watch

A.  Jalen Ramsey-DNP

B.  Myles Jack-He appeared more comfortable out there than he did during the scrimmage.  Had some nice hits, though I thought he was going to draw a flag for that hit along the sideline.  Showed fluid athletic ability, and did not appear to have any plays where he allowed his gap to be compromised.

C.  Yannick Ngakoue-He got the sack early in the game over Ryan Clady.  I wanted to see Fowler beat him, but Ngakoue beat him for the sack instead with some hustle.

D.  Sheldon Day-Did not play

E.  Tyrone Holmes-Played but did not stand out

F.  Brandon Allen-Had some really nice throws and endured a pass rush that was in his face most of the time.  I liked what I saw out of him, even with the underthrow at the end.

G.  Brandon Bowman-Had a nice catch and run along the sideline.

8)  I thought the refs had some dubious calls, including some phantom holding penalties.

9)  This team does NOT need regression in kick coverage, but last night this team showed exactly that. 

10)  Going into the game, I was not familiar with Chris Reed.  After the game, my familiarity with him is limited to this thought:  "That 64 sure did give up a lot of pressure inside."  I cannot envision him making the final roster, even as seemingly depleted as the team is at LG.  Furthermore, I hope Caldwell continues his quest to upgrade that position.  I can't help but think that Jahri Evans represents a missed opportunity for us.

11)  Even though Myers made the FG that I saw on the first drive, it was close.  As it stands now, I am still uncomfortable with him.

12)  Bottom line:  It was good to see the first team offense start off fast with a balanced and effective attack.  It was good to see Malik Jackson and Ngakoue affect the QB.  It was good to see most of the rookies in live action.  But mostly, it's good to see football again.  Welcome back, old friend!

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The starting line wasn't a disaster, and that made me pretty happy.

The thing I saw with the defense was even though we didn't really get home or force turnovers, there was push we haven't seen in years causing the qbs to get rid of the ball quicker than they like.  The windows downfield were tighter than they have been in years.  The defense is improved thats certain.

I think the defenses problems most of this year will be over pursuit.  We will have a chance to make a two yard loss and our aggressiveness will lead to 8-12 yard gains on plays like that.   The other team will have a look of "phew" on their face as they avoided disaster.  The days of the other team sitting back for 6+ seconds in a clean pocket and finding giant holes in our secondary are going to be over.  People will still move the ball on us but its going to look more like a struggle than it has in years.

Quote:One would think that given how long I have been waiting for football season to finally arrive, I would have been excited enough to stay awake throughout the broadcast last night.  However, I fell asleep at halftime and missed the entire 3rd quarter, so my caveat to you is that my impressions, moreso than normal, are formed from incomplete data.

Anyway, here are my thoughts:

1)  Given the state of the offensive line and how talented the Jets front is, I was concerned about Bortles.  However, Bortles played very well overall.  He seemed to make the right decisions, never throwing into double coverage.  For all of the talk he can't throw the traditional, over the shoulder fade, he and AR15 sure seem to have mastered the back shoulder fade.  Without seeing the proper angle, I have no way of knowing whether Bortles saw a S on the deep pass to AR15, but that was a throw, based upon what I DID see, that should have been a TD.  He was also low on the slant to Thomas.  But overall, he seems to be continuing the progress he showed last year, which is a good sign.

2)  I was also pleasantly surprised by the running game.  Yeldon and Ivory found lots of room inside and provided much needed balance to the offense.  Hopefully this will continue into the regular season.  It will make the offense and defense better if it can.

3)  Considering it was the first preseason game, it came as no surprise that some players would be kept out.  It was nevertheless disappointing on some to see the debut of Ramsey and Gipson put off for at least another week.  But we were able to see Malik Jackson and Dante Fowler in game action in Jaguars' colors for the first time.  Malik Jackson was as advertised, providing the pocket push he offered in Denver.  Fowler did not dazzle as he has in camp.  However, I'm still confident he can have impact for us.

4)  There has been a lot of talk about how AR15 has taken his game to another level in camp, but I did not see it during the scrimmage.  But it looked evident last night.  None of the Jets DBs had an answer for him.  To be fair, Revis wasn't on him, but he had success against Revis last year, too.

5)  Continuing on WRs, it was really good to see Marqise Lee being a contributor.  Here's hoping he can stay healthy enough to continue to make plays like that throughout the regular season.

6) What in the world happened on those two back to back plays where Fitzpatrick hit the TE?  I heard something about freelancing on those plays.  I know a few players can make plays on instinct and talent while deviating from the scheme (Junior Seau was one).  I'd like to think that we have players talented enough to do that and not only get away with it, but thrive on it like Seau did.  But I'd much rather the guys stick to the play called and avoid the big plays like that.

7)  Rookie Watch

A.  Jalen Ramsey-DNP

B.  Myles Jack-He appeared more comfortable out there than he did during the scrimmage.  Had some nice hits, though I thought he was going to draw a flag for that hit along the sideline.  Showed fluid athletic ability, and did not appear to have any plays where he allowed his gap to be compromised.

C.  Yannick Ngakoue-He got the sack early in the game over Ryan Clady.  I wanted to see Fowler beat him, but Ngakoue beat him for the sack instead with some hustle.

D.  Sheldon Day-Did not play

E.  Tyrone Holmes-Played but did not stand out

F.  Brandon Allen-Had some really nice throws and endured a pass rush that was in his face most of the time.  I liked what I saw out of him, even with the underthrow at the end.

G.  Brandon Bowman-Had a nice catch and run along the sideline.

8)  I thought the refs had some dubious calls, including some phantom holding penalties.

9)  This team does NOT need regression in kick coverage, but last night this team showed exactly that. 

10)  Going into the game, I was not familiar with Chris Reed.  After the game, my familiarity with him is limited to this thought:  "That 64 sure did give up a lot of pressure inside."  I cannot envision him making the final roster, even as seemingly depleted as the team is at LG.  Furthermore, I hope Caldwell continues his quest to upgrade that position.  I can't help but think that Jahri Evans represents a missed opportunity for us.

11)  Even though Myers made the FG that I saw on the first drive, it was close.  As it stands now, I am still uncomfortable with him.

12)  Bottom line:  It was good to see the first team offense start off fast with a balanced and effective attack.  It was good to see Malik Jackson and Ngakoue affect the QB.  It was good to see most of the rookies in live action.  But mostly, it's good to see football again.  Welcome back, old friend!

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Quote:The starting line wasn't a disaster, and that made me pretty happy.

The thing I saw with the defense was even though we didn't really get home or force turnovers, there was push we haven't seen in years causing the qbs to get rid of the ball quicker than they like.  The windows downfield were tighter than they have been in years.  The defense is improved thats certain.

I think the defenses problems most of this year will be over pursuit.  We will have a chance to make a two yard loss and our aggressiveness will lead to 8-12 yard gains on plays like that.   The other team will have a look of "phew" on their face as they avoided disaster.  The days of the other team sitting back for 6+ seconds in a clean pocket and finding giant holes in our secondary are going to be over.  People will still move the ball on us but its going to look more like a struggle than it has in years.

I agree with this, though I am unsure about the over pursuit.  If the over pursuit is indicative of improved team speed on defense, then yes I could see that.

I do believe QBs no longer will have all day to throw like they did in year's past.  I think Malik Jackson's impact will prove to be huge for the pass defense.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:     C.  Yannick Ngakoue-He got the sack early in the game over Ryan Clady.  I wanted to see Fowler beat him, but Ngakoue beat him for the sack instead with some hustle.

On the sack and at least one other play, it seemed Clady was holding Ngakoue as well. He's got some serious speed. I cannot wait to see him unleashed on some third and longs.

;

;

Chris Reed didn't look terrible. He moved people in the run game, but did get beat once in the pass game.
Shock the world

Think we'll see the other kicker in the next few games? Is Myers a lock to make the team?

Quote:Think we'll see the other kicker in the next few games? Is Myers a lock to make the team?

Myers made a nice stop in kick coverage last night, so.... he's got that going for him. 

Quote:Think we'll see the other kicker in the next few games? Is Myers a lock to make the team?

In the past they tend to give each kicker a full game

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

it's a good thing our receivers are really good, because our tight ends are not.  unfortunate because we spent all that money on Thomas, and now it's like he forgot how to catch.

Quote:it's a good thing our receivers are really good, because our tight ends are not.  unfortunate because we spent all that money on Thomas, and now it's like he forgot how to catch.

LOL. Dude drops one low pass and now he stinks all of a sudden.  

JT will be fine, people. Relax. 

Quote:it's a good thing our receivers are really good, because our tight ends are not.  unfortunate because we spent all that money on Thomas, and now it's like he forgot how to catch.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welp

;

;

During the Jets FG drive in the third quarter Jack appeared to try to hold up on the play he was penalized on.

Also I noticed three non-calls when Jets O-linemen were holding/blocking in the back.   (Richard Ash and Chris Smith) 

Quote:LOL. Dude drops one low pass and now he stinks all of a sudden.

He's been injury prone. When he's active he needs to crush the reps with thr starting qb. A td drop is unacceptable.

Quote:LOL. Dude drops one low pass and now he stinks all of a sudden.  

Tight end Wide open against a much smaller corner, getting paid 46 over 5 makes that catch on the goal line

Sorry

Quote:Tight end Wide open against a much smaller corner, getting paid 46 over 5 makes that catch on the goal line

Sorry
I'll worry about it when it happens in the regular season.  I think JT will have a good year if he's healthy. 

I agree with a lot that was said, but had to add this... What was with the announcer's fascination with Carson Tinker being the only player to ever wear number 46? I swear he mentioned it 4 times.
"Knowledge is power, guard it well."

After the scrimmage, I was surprised to not have seen Ficken (soon to be of the Ficken and Hicken show) out there at all. 

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Yannick got the sack, but that was due to Jackson, and Fowler forcing the QB to his side

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

I was impressed with Marqise Lee. It's very distinctive when he catches a ball over the middle. He's moving quickly, and after the catch he moves it up a notch. I think we'll see many 40+ yard catches and runs from him this season IF he stays healthy.

On the negative side, our kick coverage really stunk last night. There were gaps wide enough to drive an aircraft carrier through. That has to improve, otherwise the weekly topic of conversation will be....." Well, we fixed the defense, and the offense is maintaining its trend lines, but we're giving up massive field position due to our special teams".