Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From The Jets Game

Quote:Yannick got the sack, but that was due to Jackson, and Fowler forcing the QB to his side
Very true, but Ngakoue did shed the block of Clady well to make the play.  Good to see all of those things happening. 

Looking again - Fowler may have influenced Fitzpatrick to step up in the pocket, but Odrick moved his guy to collapse it, so -

Fowler made him try to step up - Odrick and Jackson made him step left into Yannick. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Chris Reed didn't look terrible. He moved people in the run game, but did get beat once in the pass game.

I agree. What more do you expect from a backup? He held up well with the first team against two of the best DTs in the NFL. His play declined later, but maybe he just wasn't used to playing for such a long stretch.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Very true, but Ngakoue did shed the block of Clady well to make the play. Good to see all of those things happening.

Looking again - Fowler may have influenced Fitzpatrick to step up in the pocket, but Odrick moved his guy to collapse it, so -

Fowler made him try to step up - Odrick and Jackson made him step left into Yannick.

Fowler had the RT beat on the edge for the sack if Fitz didnt step up in the pocket. Thanks for the gif

That was Dee Milliner A Rob kept taking to school for the long gains

Kaye's take:

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/sports/nfl.../295731729

Observations from the stadium last night; Being a NY Jags fan i don't get to see them in person too often but i relish the chance when i can! wish theyd gotten the W on my Birthday but ill take the lead over the opponent when the starters came out, anyway here's some tidbits of what I saw: 

Bortles: played well, wouldve been perfect if not for the drop by Julius, which was a little low but still shoulve been caught since he was wide open in the endzone. Bortles ball placement could've been a little better but I can't fault his decision making for the shots he took and with Robinson you just need to get it in the area code.

Allen Robinson: is just plain unstoppable... it was funny seeing Jets fans say "if Revis was playing he doesn't do that" as if they forgot that Robinson put up 100+ yards on Revis in the regular season last year  Confusedweat: . His route running has improved for sure and he's the most dominant jump ball WR I've seen since Randy Moss, the sky is the limit for him.

Yeldon & Ivory: no matter who was in they found room to run, each of them broke a tackle on every run going down the field on the first drive or two and it was a really good showing from both of them, we havent had this kind of 1-2 punch since 2007 with Taylor and MJD imo although its different in style to that duo, Ivory is REALLY going to be a boon down in the redzone and short yardage situations, having 2 backs with diverse skillsets will jumpstart this offense and give a balance that we sorely need to take the defensive attention away from the Allens to become a better unit. On a sidenote Denard Robinson ran pretty well also, made some nice cuts and held on to the ball

Pass Rush: Yannick had a nice effort sack on Clady to get off the field which was nice to see. I know some people thought the pass rush was underwhelming but being at the stadium let me tell you... Fowler is a BADDDDD man!!! his explosiveness jumps out at you, the more coaching and refining he gets this guy will be 10+ sacks a year and be very very hard to block, also Malik Jackson looks to be worth every penny, i remember one play where he just manhandled the RG all the way back to the QB's face and impacted the throw; dont worry about the pass rush, once they start incorporating blitzes and stunts it'll look a lot better and they did manage to do some things despite vanilla looks against a very good Jets Oline

Telvin: let up 2 big plays to Chris Owusu (WR/TE hybrid for the Jets) im not sure what the call was but i think there was a miscommunication between Smith and the safety since theres no reason the guy should be wide open in the seam on back to back plays. even so he was a hair away from making the play on the ball (just sailed above his fingertips) on the second one. I suspect this was a playcall and communication issue that'll get sorted out, also in a game that counts I dont expect Telvin to be covering the slot (now is the time to try it) and had they gameplanned for real.... the Jets starters dont score IMO. 

Marqise Lee: boy did he show up, i was amazed with his route running, speed and agility. made a tough catch over a defender close to the sideline and managed to get his feet down. He was the straw that stirred the drink for the 2nd team, when he came out for a few plays the unit stagnated, but upon being reinserted just kept finding ways to get open and make plays with the ball. very encouraging from him, if he stays healthy he'll be our 3rd WR/slot and Rashad Greene will pretty much be quality depth and a good Punt Returner. 

Myles Jack: looked way more comfortable out there than what has been reported thus far, he's fast, very fluid and can HIT!  I also liked how when going to wrap up for tackles he tryed to yank the ball out of the offensive guys hands. We found our MLB of the future and I think he'll be starting over Poz come midseason

Peyton Thompson: looked solid in the FS role, didnt flash or standout but was positionally sound and looks to be the backup to Gipson going forward

Oline: looked surprisingly good, Joeckel looked really good at LT which was a pleasant surprise. Too many penalties (although some of them were highly questionable calls by the refs IMO) but aside from the penalties Parnell and Cann looked dominant, the backup Center played well in place of Linder. the LG spot was the only real weak point but im assuming when Beachums back either him or Joeckel will shore that up; depth may be a concern if we suffer injuries during the season

Brandon Allen: aside from an underthrow at the end which resulted in an interception, he looked good, better than Henne IMO albeit against 3rd stringers opposed to 2nd. He had a few batted balls I suspect from his lack of height and just adjusting to the NFL, but overall made some good reads, solid throws and looked very poised, had a miraculous escape from the jets pass rush and broke tackles to get the ball out for positive yards which had me in awe. Looks like he can be a quality backup to Bortles down the line if we ever need it (god forbid) 

Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Quote:Very true, but Ngakoue did shed the block of Clady well to make the play.  Good to see all of those things happening. 

I like how Fowler quickly realized he wasn't going to get to Fitz once he stepped up and turned back up field to be able to make a play some other way if need be.

Was Telvin responsible for those 2 big gains? Looks like he bit on the receiver running a drag route IIRC

Quote:Was Telvin responsible for those 2 big gains? Looks like he bit on the receiver running a drag route IIRC

That was Peyton Thompson

Quote:That was Peyton Thompson

I feel like Telvin certainly didn't drop far enough into his zone, but wtvr

Quote:I feel like Telvin certainly didn't drop far enough into his zone, but wtvr

Agree, two of those were Telvin.

He even waved the guy... when he was the guy who should have stayed with him.  Twice in a row.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

My thoughts on the game.

1. Last year before the season I said that by the end of last season ARob would be considered the best WR in the AFCS. I know some people think Hopkins is as good as better, but he's not. ARob is best in the division, might even be best in the league after this year.

2. Bortles looked good. Not just the throws he made, but the command he had of the offense, his ability to see the field, and his ability to decisively make the right throws. All seven of his passes were the right decision and all 7 were at least catchable. If not for Thomas dropping a would be TD Bortles would have been 7/7. What I loved the most, though, was that when the Jets jumped offsides he didn't do what I saw him repeatedly do in 2014 and 2015, which would be to just throw a short pass wherever the play was designed to go. Instead of wasting an opportunity like that he put the ball as far down the field as he could to his best man, and ARob rewarded his recognition.

3. Everyone needs to pump the brakes on Fowler. He did nothing of significance on the night, and that's not surprising. If he's ever great he'll need time to develop. He won't be a guy we can count on to always win in the rush right off the bat.

4. The offensive line blocked REALLY well in the running game, and acceptably in the passing game for who was out on the field. The Joke didn't get Bortles killed, which is an improvement over week 17 of last year, but the left guard was the one that let the fast inside penetration through at the end of the first drive. Hopefully he'll either be replaced by someone better, or play better soon.

5. The defense definitely has a ways to go overall. Getting beaten badly by the same simple play twice in a row should never happen like that.

6. Henne is still hot garbage. Why anyone would think it's important to keep him around instead of a rookie that might get better I'll never understand.

Hurns, JT, Lee and Greene will almost always see 1 on 1 coverage since people are most likely going to be doubling Robinson from here on out.

Quote:Very true, but Ngakoue did shed the block of Clady well to make the play. Good to see all of those things happening.

Clady was even holding yannick to keep him from getting to fitz.
You either die as a good poster, or live long enough to become the troll.

Was mainly watching our guy.  How did Darron Lee look last night?  Jets LB from Ohio St

Quote:I feel like Telvin certainly didn't drop far enough into his zone, but wtvr

That's when your safety is supposed to be closing the gap. #25 wasn't even in the zip code.

Quote:Clady was even holding yannick to keep him from getting to fitz.

I don't think he held, and tbh, Clady had a decent block on Yannick. Fitz getting moved off his spot with nowhere to step and no one to throw to is what caused that sack. Yannick showed great effort, especially after he was stuffed initially. He's learning, and that's what we all need.

Years of pain and suffering... things may finally be looking up

Quote:Was mainly watching our guy. How did Darron Lee look last night? Jets LB from Ohio St

Seemed like he was around the ball at all times like Jack and Smith were for us.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:Was mainly watching our guy. How did Darron Lee look last night? Jets LB from Ohio St
Ask JDub