Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MOVIES

Yeah and it ruined John Travolta's career more ways than ever!
Ready for May Day and May Flowers!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-26-2018, 10:32 PM)Passepartout Wrote: Yeah and it ruined John Travolta's career more ways than ever!

Had it not been for Quentin Tarantino, Travolta would have successfully done that himself with those talking baby movies.

(03-25-2018, 11:13 AM)Jagwired Wrote: Speaking of free Showtime. I just watched this older movie. Man , I would have been some kind of pissed off if I had paid money to see that in the theaters. Good Lawd that was cheesy!!

[Image: v1.bTsxMTIwNDU4MztqOzE3NzI0OzEyMDA7MTIwMDsxNjAw]

I did pay to see it in the theater back in the day and believe me, I was pissed.

I'm probably too picky, but here are some of my recent views:
Really, really enjoyed:
Wonder Woman
Hidden Figures
Jumanji
Blade Runner 2049
Alien Covenant - nice surprise. I haven't enjoyed one of these as much since Aliens
Bright
Justice League - pleased by it after loathing the Superman films

Disappointed by:
Last Jedi (only one of them all that I dislike, shook my head in the theater watching)
Kong Skull Island
Thor Ragnarok

There are a few newer titles I haven't seen because most I wait for Redbox and see few at the movies.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We watched "Bessie" last weekend. Released in 2015. I like period films especially bio-dramas about singers, artists, etc. I though the acting, writing, and production were first class (Queen Latifah has turned into a very good actress), and the story was decent. 4 out of 5.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(03-29-2018, 08:29 PM)pirkster Wrote: I'm probably too picky, but here are some of my recent views:
Really, really enjoyed:
Wonder Woman
Hidden Figures
Jumanji
Blade Runner 2049
Alien Covenant - nice surprise. I haven't enjoyed one of these as much since Aliens
Bright
Justice League - pleased by it after loathing the Superman films

Disappointed by:
Last Jedi (only one of them all that I dislike, shook my head in the theater watching)
Kong Skull Island
Thor Ragnarok

There are a few newer titles I haven't seen because most I wait for Redbox and see few at the movies.

I loved Kong Skull Island and Thor Ragnarok might be my favorite film of 2017. I also liked Wonder Woman, Hidden Figures and Jumanji, but I despised Alien Covenant. I shut it off halfway through. I watched The Last Jedi tonight and although I didn't hate it, I was very underwhelmed, compared to the other films in the saga. I'm gonna watch Justice League sometime this weekend.

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2018, 07:14 AM by Monty.)

(03-27-2018, 12:32 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(03-25-2018, 11:13 AM)Jagwired Wrote: Speaking of free Showtime. I just watched this older movie. Man , I would have been some kind of pissed off if I had paid money to see that in the theaters. Good Lawd that was cheesy!!

[Image: v1.bTsxMTIwNDU4MztqOzE3NzI0OzEyMDA7MTIwMDsxNjAw]

I did pay to see it in the theater back in the day and believe me, I was pissed.

lol  I saw that in the theater too.  I think it was the loudest movie I've ever seen.  Possibly to try to confuse the audience into thinking it was a decent film.
Huh

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2018, 06:35 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

As I said, last night I watched Star Wars" The Last Jedi. I didn't despise it, but it's not nearly as strong of a film as the previous ones, so I really didn't like it. At times, I was flat out bored. I was glad I watched it, but it's definitely not one of those films that I will be re-watching anytime soon. It was pointless, the story went nowhere and some of the characters were out of place. No real surprising revelations were made in this film, in fact, it was downright predictable in my opinion. It was sad to see Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill playing their iconic characters for the very last time, especially in such a weak movie, but I guess it was time. While I will continue watching upcoming films in this series, I still prefer The Guardians of the Galaxy films over the newer Star Wars movies. I just think the characters are way stronger and the stories are more interesting in GOTG. Once you get past the pioneering characters of Luke, Leia and Han Solo in the Star Wars films, there's really not much there. I find the newer Protagonist, (Rey, Poe, Finn and Kylo Ren), kind of stale and I don't see any chemistry like you had in the original films. That's just my opinion.

[Image: star_wars_the_last_jedi_poster.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2018, 10:38 AM by Kane.)

(02-18-2018, 07:52 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: It's been a cold, dreary weekend and I'm running low on funds, so when I saw I had a free HBO/Cinemax  weekend, I decided to stay home and "veg out" on several films. Here is what I watched.

1. Gifted- This is a film that has been on my Netflix que for a while now. It tells the story of a brilliant man, raising his niece in Florida. The little girl is a math prodigy, but he just wants to raise her to be a normal, happy kid with good morals and lots of friends. He is raising her, because her mother (another math prodigy), commits suicide and he is afraid his mother will try and raise the little girl like he an his late sister was raised, basically as "human computers" with no outside life and focusing only on academics. When the grandmother tracks them down, the story really begins. This movie was every bit as good as I expected it to be. Chris Evans played the lead role and proved he is much more than just "Captain America". This guy is a really good actor. The little girl who played his niece was excellent as well. The story was captivating, the dialogue was on point and everything just flowed really well. This is my pick so far, as my favorite film of 2017. I highly recommend it. I put it in my top 100 films of all-time.

[Image: Gifted-movie_Poster-2.jpg]

2. Hidden Figures- This one was recommended to me by my uncle and he was right about it. It is the true story of three brilliant black women in the early 1960's who have low level jobs at NASA. They prove their worth as they work their way up the ranks and become key figures in the first American manned flight in space. This film was not only informative, but it was interesting and brilliantly put together. The acting was fantastic, the cinematography was very well done and the story was excellent. In my opinion, such a film should be shown in every classroom during black history month. This is another movie I highly recommend.

[Image: 516lP3xyUmL._SY445_QL70_.jpg]

3. The House- This one was as expected. It was another Will Ferrell comedy that was neither good, nor bad. It was forgettable though. There were a couple of spots where I chuckled, but no real LOL moments like the magic that was captured in my favorite Ferrell movie, The Other Guys. Instead, this one just kind of fell flat. If you are a Will Ferrell fan, by all means, watch it, just be sure to keep your expectations to a minimum.

[Image: large_hkmWkVgirei79bwds23Hr0lWSXS.jpg]

4. November Criminals- I actually got this one in the mail via Netflix. I saw the previews for it and thought it looked quite interesting. I was right. It stars Ansel Elgort and Chloe Grace Moretz as a high school couple who secretly make their own investigation into the murder of a friend who was killed minutes after they left him at work in a coffee house. I was really surprised how much I liked this movie since it was a straight to video release. I thought the direction was good, the acting was solid and for the most part, the story was fairly believable. There were some instances where you wonder why the main character goes off all "half-cocked" into dangerous situations, but when you hear his backstory, it kind of makes sense. I wonder why this movie didn't get a cinematic release? Considering some of the garbage that hits theaters nowadays, this movie was a refreshing change. I recommend you give it a chance.

[Image: oxrCcO2JFABijGwRee75q1Sh3kI.jpg]

5. When We First Met- This is a made for Netflix film that just came out. It stars Adam Devine as a guy who was "friend-zoned" by the girl of his dreams and he somehow finds a magic photo booth that propels him back into time, allowing him to try over and over to become the guy that she wants to be with, before she marries another man. I know, I know, the premise sounds ridiculous and it is. The story isn't as bad as you might think though. It's not good, but it's not horrible either. It is, what it is. If you're bored and have nothing else to do, you can give it a watch and be semi-entertained for an hour and a half, but like me, you'll probably forget about it in a week.

[Image: when-we-first-met-movie-cast-plot-wiki-netflix.jpg]

Love When We First Met.
I laughed a lot. I'm a big fan of Adam Devine where I find a lot of people don't care for him.

Also, shame on anyone not a fan of Big Lebowski and/or Fargo lol

I recently watched Thor: Ragnarok
"meh" was my reaction.
When I asked a buddy of mine who has seen all Marvel movies to date if Black Panther was better he said "not really"
So not really looking forward to Black Panther... yet still very excited for Avengers Infinity War

Netflix movie Mute is a very good flick. Neo-noir sci-fi starring Paul Rudd and Alexander Skarsgard

[Image: mute-e1520279216211.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2018, 10:44 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(03-30-2018, 10:33 AM)Kane Wrote:
(02-18-2018, 07:52 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: 5. When We First Met- This is a made for Netflix film that just came out. It stars Adam Devine as a guy who was "friend-zoned" by the girl of his dreams and he somehow finds a magic photo booth that propels him back into time, allowing him to try over and over to become the guy that she wants to be with, before she marries another man. I know, I know, the premise sounds ridiculous and it is. The story isn't as bad as you might think though. It's not good, but it's not horrible either. It is, what it is. If you're bored and have nothing else to do, you can give it a watch and be semi-entertained for an hour and a half, but like me, you'll probably forget about it in a week.

[Image: when-we-first-met-movie-cast-plot-wiki-netflix.jpg]

Love When We First Met.
I laughed a lot. I'm a big fan of Adam Devine where I find a lot of people don't care for him.

Also, shame on anyone not a fan of Big Lebowski and/or Fargo lol

I recently watched Thor: Ragnarok
"meh" was my reaction.
When I asked a buddy of mine who has seen all Marvel movies to date if Black Panther was better he said "not really"
So not really looking forward to Black Panther... yet still very excited for Avengers Infinity War

Netflix movie Mute is a very good flick. Neo-noir sci-fi starring Paul Rudd and Alexander Skarsgard

[Image: mute-e1520279216211.jpg]

IMO, Thor Ragnarok was better than Black Panther, but that is not to say Black Panther was a bad film. In fact, I thought it was very good. I've seen all of the Marvel films as well and IMO, the best ones are Thor: Ragnarok, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America: Civil War, The Avengers, Iron Man and Black Panther. I literally cannot wait for Infinity Wars. I've seen the trailer for Mute and to be honest, it's not my cup of tea. When it comes to Sc-Fi films, I'm more into the Godzilla, Arrival, Star Wars or Jurassic Park type films. The neo-noir type stuff just doesn't hold my interest, but I know a lot of other people who are into those type films. To each, their own.

My problem with Ragnarok was it tried to be too cute with the jokes and dialogue. Distractedly and annoyingly so, like it was trying waaaay to hard to be Guardians or badly trying to emulate a clean Quentin Tarantino.

It wasn't just here and there... it was through the whole. thing. The dialog while Thor was spinning while hanging from the chain started the eye rolls and groans and they just kept coming.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2018, 02:53 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(03-30-2018, 02:38 PM)pirkster Wrote: My problem with Ragnarok was it tried to be too cute with the jokes and dialogue.  Distractedly and annoyingly so, like it was trying waaaay to hard to be Guardians or badly trying to emulate a clean Quentin Tarantino.

It wasn't just here and there... it was through the whole. thing.  The dialog while Thor was spinning while hanging from the chain started the eye rolls and groans and they just kept coming.

I enjoyed the humor in Thor Ragnarok. I LOL'ed several times and really thought it added a much needed element to the movie. That's why I believe Marvel films are so much better than D.C. movies. Marvel films aren't afraid to make fun of themselves and the ridiculousness of some of the situations. They have fun with the dialogue and relationships between the characters. D.C. is just too serious, dark and there really seems to be no chemistry between the characters, at least not in the films. They just seem like a bunch of random characters are thrown into a situation. To me, the Marvel characters seem like a real family and that is reflected in the films. I don't see the Tarantino comparison at all, but yes, this film seemed closer to the Guardians of the Galaxy type series than past films, but I believe that is because in Infinity Wars, the two groups will be uniting to fight Thanos. Having similar characteristics can rush the bonding process when they do meet. Also, whether it be in the past films or in the comic books or cartoons, Thor and Hulk have always had this back and forth big brother/little brother type relationship where they constantly take jabs at one another. It's a lot the same way Captain America and Iron Man relate to one another.

(03-30-2018, 02:38 PM)pirkster Wrote: My problem with Ragnarok was it tried to be too cute with the jokes and dialogue.  Distractedly and annoyingly so, like it was trying waaaay to hard to be Guardians or badly trying to emulate a clean Quentin Tarantino.

It wasn't just here and there... it was through the whole. thing.  The dialog while Thor was spinning while hanging from the chain started the eye rolls and groans and they just kept coming.

I believe it was done on purpose that way.
I remember reading prior to it coming out they were trying to sell it as an intergalactic buddy (bro) film.

I found myself very distracted throughout the movie checking Twitter and such.
IMO... The first Thor was great and each sequel slid a bit for me.

"Oh hold on... I'm not facing you... just a moment"
yeah that was bad.

So far Civil War was my favorite Marvel flick. I've seen em all minus Black Panther.
1. Civil War
2. Winter Solider
3. Avengers
4. GotG

Many of the Marvel sequels outside of the Cap franchise have left a little something to be desired in my opinion. (i.e. not living up to the predecessors entertainment and awe)

(03-30-2018, 04:08 PM)Kane Wrote:

I believe it was done on purpose that way.
I remember reading prior to it coming out they were trying to sell it as an intergalactic buddy (bro) film.

I found myself very distracted throughout the movie checking Twitter and such.
IMO... The first Thor was great and each sequel slid a bit for me.

"Oh hold on... I'm not facing you... just a moment"
yeah that was bad.

So far Civil War was my favorite Marvel flick. I've seen em all minus Black Panther.
1. Civil War
2. Winter Solider
3. Avengers
4. GotG

Many of the Marvel sequels outside of the Cap franchise have left a little something to be desired in my opinion. (i.e. not living up to the predecessors entertainment and awe)

Personally, I would rank them like this.....

1. Thor: Ragnarok
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. Captain America: Civil War
5. The Avengers
6. Iron Man
7. Black Panther
8. Spider Man Homecoming
9. Iron Man 2
10. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
11. The Incredible Hulk
12. Thor: The Dark World
13. Thor
14. Avengers: Age of Ultron
15. Ant-Man
16. Iron Man 3
17. Captain America: The First Avenger
18. Dr. Strange

I have to say, I'm a fan of the Marvel movies, but I can't help but think that they've ran their course.. I think they've done too many now and are starting to get a little boring.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(03-31-2018, 07:17 AM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: I have to say, I'm a fan of the Marvel movies, but I can't help but think that they've ran their course.. I think they've done too many now and are starting to get a little boring.

Personally, I wish they'd keep cranking them out with the original Avengers. After the conclusion of the 2nd Infinity Wars film, there will be a huge shift though. No more Iron Man, Captain America or Thor. I'm expecting all of those characters to die. In fact, I'm expecting most of the original Avengers to be killed off. Marvel is said to be working on a second wave of superheroes starting with Captain Marvel. I don't know what I will do, once we get to the newer more obscure superhero films. I grew up watching Iron Man, Hulk, Thor and Spiderman cartoons. There is a connection there. I don't know if I will have much of an interest in the newer wave of films. I guess it will all depend on the script and casting. After all, I knew nothing about the Guardians of the Galaxy and Black Panther and I was fans of both films.

(03-31-2018, 07:16 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-31-2018, 07:17 AM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: I have to say, I'm a fan of the Marvel movies, but I can't help but think that they've ran their course.. I think they've done too many now and are starting to get a little boring.

Personally, I wish they'd keep cranking them out with the original Avengers. After the conclusion of the 2nd Infinity Wars film, there will be a huge shift though. No more Iron Man, Captain America or Thor. I'm expecting all of those characters to die. In fact, I'm expecting most of the original Avengers to be killed off. Marvel is said to be working on a second wave of superheroes starting with Captain Marvel. I don't know what I will do, once we get to the newer more obscure superhero films. I grew up watching Iron Man, Hulk, Thor and Spiderman cartoons. There is a connection there. I don't know if I will have much of an interest in the newer wave of films. I guess it will all depend on the script and casting. After all, I knew nothing about the Guardians of the Galaxy and Black Panther and I was fans of both films.

Yeah, not for me...

GOTG movies were excellent. I haven't seen Black Panther, but that didn't really appeal to me.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2018, 06:31 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(04-01-2018, 02:12 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote:
(03-31-2018, 07:16 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Personally, I wish they'd keep cranking them out with the original Avengers. After the conclusion of the 2nd Infinity Wars film, there will be a huge shift though. No more Iron Man, Captain America or Thor. I'm expecting all of those characters to die. In fact, I'm expecting most of the original Avengers to be killed off. Marvel is said to be working on a second wave of superheroes starting with Captain Marvel. I don't know what I will do, once we get to the newer more obscure superhero films. I grew up watching Iron Man, Hulk, Thor and Spiderman cartoons. There is a connection there. I don't know if I will have much of an interest in the newer wave of films. I guess it will all depend on the script and casting. After all, I knew nothing about the Guardians of the Galaxy and Black Panther and I was fans of both films.

Yeah, not for me...

GOTG movies were excellent. I haven't seen Black Panther, but that didn't really appeal to me.

I didn't think I'd like it either, but surprisingly, I liked it a lot. You may be surprised.

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2018, 11:15 AM by Jagsfan32277.)

As a Star Wars fan for the 1st 2 old movies, The last Jedi was so dumb. It had corny jokes. And the Idea of the former storm trooper and the Asian girl getting some code breaker character and then sneak onto a emperial cruiser was dumb and accomplished nothing, they should have just stayed on the rebel ship. And these new Star Wars movies have like some sort of strong women movement or equality message that's annoying. A lot of the fighter pilots of the rebellion are women and you have Rae a woman with Jedi powers trying to save the galaxy. There were no women fighter pilots in the old movies. Women are not physically capable of being fighter pilots. Just stop making Star Wars movies Disney.

This is why I didn't get past the "landfill" scene. I just didn't care and felt like I was being Punk'd. It sucks because I love Chris Hemsworth in the role. 

GOTG was a decent movie. I didn't get past the scene where they crash landed in GOTG Vol. 2.