Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MOVIES

Quote:Finally got around to watching The Hidden Fortress. Fantastic movie.

I'd put it something like this:

1. Ran

2. Hidden Fortress

3. Seven Samurai

4. Dreams

5. Ikiru 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Add Chronicle and Afflicted to talks list as well

Quote:I finished watching Stranger Things.  It's just a very good series with very good characters.  Definitely worth my uncharacteristic binge watching.  Not necessarily all that original. I've seen all the tropes before but maybe that was the point.

When you can say you've seen the tropes before but still enjoyed a very good series means the writers, directors and actors did a phenomenal job and I think that's what happened with Stranger Things. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Millie Brown. That girl hit it out of the atmosphere, nevermind the ballpark. 

I remember trying to watch Blue is the Warmest Color before.  What is it like 5 hours long?   Didn't make it.

Interstellar is one of those rare movies that made a big impression on me.  I hated Fury Road.

I need to see Interstellar again. I also hated Fury Road. With a passion. 

Quote:+1

The trick with Tarrantino movies is to focus on the dialogue, not the action. And, like Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, you gotta listen.

Hope he does make the 30s gangster movie he's been talking about.

Just watched it again last night. The scene where Jackson gets the General to shoot him is a classic.

Quote:Just watched it again last night. The scene where Jackson gets the General to shoot him is a classic.

That scene is monumentally quote worthy.... Just not here. Wink
Signature goes here.

Quote:Add Chronicle and Afflicted to talks list as well
Afflicted! So gross, so good!

I just finally watched "straight out of compton". Really good.

Snowpiercer is good too.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:Snowpiercer is good too.

I agree. A lot different and much better than I thought it would be. I only watched it because I like Chris Evans and wanted to see him in something other than CA and Avengers. I was pleasantly surprised. He is in a movie named Puncture that I've been meaning to watch.

Saw the Suicide Squad movie last night.. LOVED IT!!

I can't see what the critics were complaining about, personally.

[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

I watched Deathgasm on Netflix over the weekend. If you're a fan of heavy metal and horror, you should check it out for sure.

Looking forward to some upcoming horror movies, like Don't Breathe and Blair Witch. I feel like the Blair Witch Project is a very underappreciated horror film.

Quote:I watched Deathgasm on Netflix over the weekend. If you're a fan of heavy metal and horror, you should check it out for sure.

Looking forward to some upcoming horror movies, like Don't Breathe and Blair Witch. I feel like the Blair Witch Project is a very underappreciated horror film.

Nothing wrong with a good horror movie, as long as it is done tastefully.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2016, 08:18 PM by JagsGooner.)

The Boy was pretty good imo. Of course one of my all time favorites tho.....Clue!(1985) Tim Curry was just awesome! Along with It as him being Pennywise. Actually can't wait to see the remake of It in 2017!
You either die as a good poster, or live long enough to become the troll.

Quote:Nothing wrong with a good horror movie, as long as it is done tastefully.
This one is really over the top though and really ridiculous. It's a horror-comedy, actually. Still a fun movie.

Quote:Saw the Suicide Squad movie last night.. LOVED IT!!

Well, that depends on the nature of the critic...

Your bog standard movie critic is inherently biased (against) superhero movies in general at their base unless it's an Avengers-based movie or, to a lesser extent, the X-Men (although to be fair, Apocalypse was a bad movie with a few amazing scenes). Toss in building superhero fatigue and you have a recipe for hate in the making. Then, they fall into the trap of trying to compare all superhero/team up movies to The Avengers, which doesn't really fly in the DCU as there has been a marked difference in storytelling styles of these companies since the dawn of the Silver Age. DC has no Avengers analogy in terms of tone. Sure, the JLA looks like the Avengers at the base, but the closest actual analogy to them in Marvel in terms of "feel" would probably be the original Defenders (Silver Surfer, Namor, Doctor Strange, Hulk, Valkyrie) imo. DC also can't tell a good, continuous story on-screen lately to save it's life. That doesn't help either. It had many of the same issues as BvS in that pacing was bad and it lacked consistency.

When you're talking about fanboys, it's a little bit different. In an attempt to avoid spoilers, the main antagonist for Suicide Squad was an extremely poor choice. That character, in any incarnation that I'm aware of, is a Justice League level threat and would/should have mopped the floor with any version of the Suicide Squad without breaking a sweat. The story was atrocious as a result although most of the characterizations were decent to downright awesome, especially Harley Quinn, El Diablo and Amanda Waller. On the flipside, they completely botched arguably the easiest character of the bunch to portray in Captain Boomerang. I like Boomers in the comics. I like Jai Courtney. That guy with the boomerangs was not Captain Boomerang. He felt/acted more like a destitute man's Deathstroke with an Australian accent. Additionally, while Will Smith did an OK job as Deadshot, he was playing Will Smith. Deadshot is very sardonic/deadpan in his humor which isn't really Will's strong suit. I'm still not quite sure what to think of Leto's Joker. I would have liked to have seen more of him but overall I was OK with his portrayal of the Clown Prince of Crime (although I would have preferred the Agent of Chaos Joker).

Overall, I was OK with the movie for what it was. I honestly expected an unmitigated trainwreck with no redeeming qualities based on initial reviews. I'm glad I didn't leave with that impression which is a positive. This is doubly refreshing because this isn't really my kind of superhero story/movie in general...X-Men First Class and Man of Steel are. I prefer darker, serious movies with lots of character development, just like I like my comics.

I have a sneaking suspicion/hope though, that Wonder Woman is going to kill it based on the trailer(s) I've seen.

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Enjoyed BFG this summer. Took the kids to see Finding Dory, but I think I lean to Nemo being better.

The new Ghostbusters was better then I thought it would be.I would say Bad Moms was also better then I thought it'd be. pretty funny and different.

Want to see Pete's Dragon coming out tomorrow and also need to go see War Dogs and The Infiltrator which is about the drug lord Pablo Escobar.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:Saw the Suicide Squad movie last night.. LOVED IT!!

I have heard nothing but good things. I have gone from nah, to maybe, to wanting to see it.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:I'd put it something like this:

1. Ran

2. Hidden Fortress

3. Seven Samurai

4. Dreams

5. Ikiru 
Seven Samurai is my current favorite Kurosawa films. I haven't seen Dreams yet, waiting for an eventual Criterion bluray release. I own Ikiru, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I need to give Ran a rewatch, its been a few years since I last watched it. 

The Magnificent Seven reboot looks decent

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

I liked Bone Tomahawk.

Quote:I'd put it something like this:

1. Ran

2. Hidden Fortress

3. Seven Samurai

4. Dreams

5. Ikiru 

Love those.  One of the rare genius of film of our time.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."