Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MOVIES

Amazon is the bomb. I have Amazon music service and Amazon Prime. I can almost always find what I want to hear or watch.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-16-2022, 01:16 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-16-2022, 01:08 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: There's really no comparison.. Animal House is probably one of the best comedies ever made.. Matter of fact, just watched Animal House, I think it was Saturday night..

Revenge of the Nerds is good, just not on Animal House level..

There’s a documentary out there about the making of Animal House. Very interesting about what went on behind the scenes. The John Belushi guitar smash was completely off the cuff. The look of shock you see on the guitar players face is real. 

They also play the footage of Belushi doing his commando shuffle before they put the horse in Dean Wormer’s office. Only the footage is unedited and you can hear the director telling Belushi, “Go right! Go left! Get down! Get up! Roll around!” It’s hilarious.

Something I found interesting/amazing along the lines of the above.  Bill Murray’s part was not even originally in Caddyshack.  He originally had a cameo appearance.  And he had very few actual lines…almost everything he did was ad lib.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I saw Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol last night. The first of that series that I've seen. It was okay. Too many miraculous gizmos, too much "clickety click" "okay, I've hacked into their system." Somehow, even though they have been disowned by the US government, in the middle of Russia, they have a train car full of incredible technology that is always exactly what they need.

(08-16-2022, 02:30 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(08-16-2022, 01:16 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: There’s a documentary out there about the making of Animal House. Very interesting about what went on behind the scenes. The John Belushi guitar smash was completely off the cuff. The look of shock you see on the guitar players face is real. 

They also play the footage of Belushi doing his commando shuffle before they put the horse in Dean Wormer’s office. Only the footage is unedited and you can hear the director telling Belushi, “Go right! Go left! Get down! Get up! Roll around!” It’s hilarious.

Something I found interesting/amazing along the lines of the above.  Bill Murray’s part was not even originally in Caddyshack.  He originally had a cameo appearance.  And he had very few actual lines…almost everything he did was ad lib.

I remember seeing a documentary about Caddyshack a few years ago.. The movie with Bill Murray and Chevy Chase almost didn't happen because Bill and Chevy were feuding and fighting so badly.. They couldn't stand each other..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

On a whim, I watched The Grand Budapest Hotel last weekend. It has a lot of well known actors but I hadn't heard of it before. It's entertaining but kind of hard to classify. I guess it's sort of a comedy-mystery-historical-drama told in a flashback of a flashback of a flashback. Very quirky!
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I thoroughly enjoyed Knives Out. Daniel Craig did an outstanding job as a southern genteel detective. The entire cast was great.

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2022, 08:44 AM by Mikey.)

(08-17-2022, 08:14 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: On a whim, I watched The Grand Budapest Hotel last weekend. It has a lot of well known actors but I hadn't heard of it before. It's entertaining but kind of hard to classify. I guess it's sort of a comedy-mystery-historical-drama told in a flashback of a flashback of a flashback. Very quirky!

It's perfectly described as "Wes Anderson film". For some, that may be a positive, but for me, I just don't get the appeal.

The only movie of his I've ever enjoyed was Fantastic Mr. Fox. Had a friend who thought Anderson was a visionary and raved about all of his movies, and I quickly realized we were on very different wavelengths.

(08-17-2022, 08:32 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I thoroughly enjoyed Knives Out. Daniel Craig did an outstanding job as a southern genteel detective. The entire cast was great.

A classic, and the twoth is coming later this year.

(08-17-2022, 08:43 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(08-17-2022, 08:14 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: On a whim, I watched The Grand Budapest Hotel last weekend. It has a lot of well known actors but I hadn't heard of it before. It's entertaining but kind of hard to classify. I guess it's sort of a comedy-mystery-historical-drama told in a flashback of a flashback of a flashback. Very quirky!

It's perfectly described as "Wes Anderson film". For some, that may be a positive, but for me, I just don't get the appeal.

The only movie of his I've ever enjoyed was Fantastic Mr. Fox. Had a friend who thought Anderson was a visionary and raved about all of his movies, and I quickly realized we were on very different wavelengths.

I'm not familiar with Wes Anderson in general but I do like movies with unconventional or off the wall characters and this was definitely that. I'll have to see what else he's done that I've missed.

(08-17-2022, 11:36 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(08-17-2022, 08:43 AM)Mikey Wrote: It's perfectly described as "Wes Anderson film". For some, that may be a positive, but for me, I just don't get the appeal.

I'm not familiar with Wes Anderson in general but I do like movies with unconventional or off the wall characters and this was definitely that. I'll have to see what else he's done that I've missed.

He's an acquired taste which I've not yet acquired.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(08-17-2022, 11:36 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(08-17-2022, 08:43 AM)Mikey Wrote: It's perfectly described as "Wes Anderson film". For some, that may be a positive, but for me, I just don't get the appeal.

Life Aquatic, Darjheeling limited, Rushmore (I think?) Moonrise Kingdom is his newest, I believe.

(08-17-2022, 08:32 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I thoroughly enjoyed Knives Out. Daniel Craig did an outstanding job as a southern genteel detective. The entire cast was great.

That was a good movie.  The ending was funny.  I heard they're doing another one.

(08-17-2022, 12:29 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

That was a good movie.  The ending was funny.  I heard they're doing another one.

What gets me is I’ve never really liked Daniel Craig as James Bond because he looks more like a Russian mobster than a suave Englishman. He pulled off his role in Knives Out like a pro. He put a lot of work into achieving the proper accent. I only noticed a couple of lines where he didn’t quite get it down. 

There are many subtleties to an intelligent southern accent. Instead of going the stereotypical route of speaking with large rounded vowels and folksy sing song, he managed to sound more like William Faulkner reads than Andy Griffith talks.

(08-17-2022, 12:22 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(08-17-2022, 11:36 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: I'm not familiar with Wes Anderson in general but I do like movies with unconventional or off the wall characters and this was definitely that. I'll have to see what else he's done that I've missed.

Life Aquatic, Darjheeling limited, Rushmore (I think?) Moonrise Kingdom is his newest, I believe.

Oh, he did The Royal Tenenbaums too. I liked that one. I saw it several years ago, but my memory of it was pretty positive. It had a similar vibe to Grand Budapest.

(This post was last modified: 08-20-2022, 06:37 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

"Listen, old man.  I get paid for killing.  And this town is full of men who deserve to die."

Yojimbo.  I managed to record it off of Youtube TV last night.  I saw it a long time ago.  Can't wait to watch it again.

Interesting trivia: Fistful of Dollars' plot was taken (without permission) from Yojimbo, which resulted in a successful lawsuit filed by Akira Kurosawa against Sergio Leone.

Caught The Gray Man this week. Chris Evans just chews through the movie with his charisma. 7/10
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Sittin here watchin Footloose with Kevin Bacon. Great movie by the way..

But I was sittin here thinkin, what if Kevin Bacon got the role of The Terminator instead of Arnie..

Would he be considered a Baconator?

Good strain tonight

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(08-22-2022, 10:52 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Sittin here watchin Footloose with Kevin Bacon. Great movie by the way..

But I was sittin here thinkin, what if Kevin Bacon got the role of The Terminator instead of Arnie..

Would he be considered a Baconator?

Good strain tonight

"I'll be bac[on]"

Purple Hearts (Netflix Original). Decent movie - light. Kind of like a Lifetime movie but good overall.

I just watched The 15:17 to Paris about the three American men and one Frenchman who stopped an ISIS terrorist from doing violence and murder on the train. It was a decent movie. The men played themselves, no actors, and Clint Eastwood produced and directed. 

In a way it would have been better had there been actors to play the parts of the men because they cannot act, but I kind of liked how it turned out. You can't really fake any of it or dramatize it with a big score because the acting just isn't there. I could easily see it turned into a Michael Bay travesty had it gone the true Hollywood route. (No knock against Bay as he's made some great mindless movies.) 

I remember this happening but not all of the details. What a story.

We just watched Prey on Hulu and it was really good. Winger wasn't kidding. It was actually better than I thought it would be. The best entry to the Predator series since the first movie.