Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MOVIES

(04-29-2023, 12:11 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Speaking of aliens.

Unpopular opinion but I hated E.T. The storyline was okay but I hated the character. That thing creeped me the freak out. To this day I can't even stand to look at it.  Ninja

Yeah I'll probably go back and watch it soon with my kids, but I remember being very creeped out watching it as a kid myself as well.  Speaking of which, the E.T. ride at Universal might be one of the creepiest things ever.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I just finished watching Icarus on Netflix.

All I can say is, DAMN. UNBELIEVABLE.

I watched "Air" last night. It's the one about how Nike signs Michael Jordan. Starring Matt Damon and Ben Affleck. Directed by Ben Affleck.

Great acting and directing, but the script is bland as hell. No tension, no crisis, just a bland retelling of how Nike managed to sign Michael Jordan. It's entertaining if you're a sports fan. I think maybe since they were portraying real people, they didn't want to offend anyone.

My wife and I just watched Guy Ritchie's The Covenant..

Just spectacular!!

A real recommend!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=02PPMPArNEQ
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

^^ I'm looking forward to watching that one.

(03-03-2023, 08:35 PM)Butters Wrote:
(03-03-2023, 12:35 AM)Passepartout Wrote: Been meaning to see "Eighty for Brady" but life and sickness had gotten in the way. Hope to see the movie one day.

I sincerely hope you are joking about watching that.

no kidding.  I'd think I'd rather watch the brutally painful 2nd half of the Jags-Titans 1999 AFC Championship Game, rather than watching Eighty for Brady.

Just finished Greyhound on Apple TV. To be sure, there’s not a whole lot of character development or plot but wow, what a riveting military action movie! Especially as an old ex-Navy guy, I really enjoyed it.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 05-19-2023, 06:42 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

Watched "The Outfit," starring Mark Rylance as a tailor who gets caught up with some Chicago gangsters. 

Great movie.  It's on Amazon Prime Video.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67S7hZGt0fw

The new Alien trailer dropped.. Looks good!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ahKK_PTyqdI#bottom-sheet

Just finished watching the recent version of Dune on Hulu. I liked it more than I thought I would and am now looking forward to part two. I don't think I ever saw the 1984 version and I never read the book so I have nothing to compare it to. 

Check it out if you haven't already.

(06-20-2023, 09:24 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Just finished watching the recent version of Dune on Hulu. I liked it more than I thought I would and am now looking forward to part two. I don't think I ever saw the 1984 version and I never read the book so I have nothing to compare it to. 

I really liked it too and am looking forward to the sequel.  I loved the '84 one as well which took some liberties with the original story, not that I've read the books.  There was an extra layer of weirdness to the 1984 movie that was missing from this new one and that's due to David Lynch being the director of the '84 one.  I think I was a tad disappointed in the new one on the first go round because it wasn't quite as weird, but on rewatch I really started to like it.  The 1984 version actually crams what this new movie and its sequel are to cover in just the one movie.  If you ever decide to watch it, and you should, know that there are at least 2 versions out there.  There's the normal run 2 hour 17 minute version and then there's a 3 hour extended version that David Lynch disowned though I prefer it.

(06-20-2023, 11:39 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(06-20-2023, 09:24 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Just finished watching the recent version of Dune on Hulu. I liked it more than I thought I would and am now looking forward to part two. I don't think I ever saw the 1984 version and I never read the book so I have nothing to compare it to. 

I really liked it too and am looking forward to the sequel.  I loved the '84 one as well which took some liberties with the original story, not that I've read the books.  There was an extra layer of weirdness to the 1984 movie that was missing from this new one and that's due to David Lynch being the director of the '84 one.  I think I was a tad disappointed in the new one on the first go round because it wasn't quite as weird, but on rewatch I really started to like it.  The 1984 version actually crams what this new movie and its sequel are to cover in just the one movie.  If you ever decide to watch it, and you should, know that there are at least 2 versions out there.  There's the normal run 2 hour 17 minute version and then there's a 3 hour extended version that David Lynch disowned though I prefer it.

I was going to say, in an article I read Lynch said he hated what became of the '84 movie. I think I saw parts of it if it happened to be on tv back in the day but I know I haven't seen the whole thing. I'll look for it.

We watched Avatar: Way of Water last night.

Meh.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(06-25-2023, 02:11 PM)RicoTx Wrote: We watched Avatar: Way of Water last night.

Meh.

I heard if you toke up before you watch it, you quit giving a damn about it and accept the tardedness haha

(This post was last modified: 06-25-2023, 11:38 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 2 times in total.)

(06-25-2023, 01:36 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(06-20-2023, 11:39 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I really liked it too and am looking forward to the sequel.  I loved the '84 one as well which took some liberties with the original story, not that I've read the books.  There was an extra layer of weirdness to the 1984 movie that was missing from this new one and that's due to David Lynch being the director of the '84 one.  I think I was a tad disappointed in the new one on the first go round because it wasn't quite as weird, but on rewatch I really started to like it.  The 1984 version actually crams what this new movie and its sequel are to cover in just the one movie.  If you ever decide to watch it, and you should, know that there are at least 2 versions out there.  There's the normal run 2 hour 17 minute version and then there's a 3 hour extended version that David Lynch disowned though I prefer it.

I was going to say, in an article I read Lynch said he hated what became of the '84 movie. I think I saw parts of it if it happened to be on tv back in the day but I know I haven't seen the whole thing. I'll look for it.

This conversation had me re-watch the extended cut that he disowned which I hadn't watched in years and although I appreciate some of the scenes that were included in it but cut out of the official release, there's also a lot of unnecessary stuff and poor edits (almost every time there's a scene change a narrator explains what's going on which gets annoying).  I can see why he insisted his name be removed specifically from the extended version which was released on DVD against his will.  Lynch had the same issue with his movie that many viewers had with it which is there was too much content to shove into a 2 hour 20 minute movie.  That's why this more recent re-boot will be completed as 2 movies.

The '84 one still has a great cast and a great score though and will always be a favorite of mine for that and a number of other reasons.

Meh.

Well, the good news is there's 6 more sequels planned we can all ignore.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Meh.

Saw that in the movie theatre when it 1st came out.

Definitely way too long and the flow of it was difficult to understand sometimes.

From what I understand though, is that Universal is going to come out with an entire section of the park dedicated to this concept as they did with Harry Potter so the extreme investment in the movie itself is more geared to future park revenues that they will generate if indeed they follow through with building it.

Just watched Extraction 1 since Extraction 2 was getting good reviews and wanted to really see that one.

Anyway, i kind of thought the movie was rather monotonous, simply going from 1 action scene to another, without really building up the characters. About 1 hour into the movie, I was just hoping that they'd all die and the movie would end.

Anyone else watch this movie? If so, and you liked it, what do you really look for in action movies? I'm not a pure action movie person so I'm interested to know what I'm missing since this movie had a 80% viewer liking.

(06-29-2023, 01:13 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Meh.

Saw that in the movie theatre when it 1st came out.

Definitely way too long and the flow of it was difficult to understand sometimes.

From what I understand though, is that Universal is going to come out with an entire section of the park dedicated to this concept as they did with Harry Potter so the extreme investment in the movie itself is more geared to future park revenues that they will generate if indeed they follow through with building it.

Avatar is owned by the Mouse and they already have Pandora at Animal Kingdom in Orlando.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-20-2023, 09:24 PM)The americus 2.0 Wrote: Just finished watching the recent version of Dune on Hulu. I liked it more than I thought I would and am now looking forward to part two. I don't think I ever saw the 1984 version and I never read the book so I have nothing to compare it to. 

I’ve read the Frank Herbert books more than once. I’ve watched the David Lynch adaptation and generally liked it although it isn’t particularly faithful to the source material. I’ve seen the SciFy series and thought it was more faithful than the Lynch version but the cast didn’t have much chemistry and the production design was awkwardly bizarre.

So enough to say, I’m pretty familiar with the Dune universe.

The Villeneuve adaptation is so good it’s crazy. Not only is the movie very well produced and directed but he “gets” the story as only a fan of the novels can. I can’t wait for part 2 (and perhaps part 3 if they adapt Dune Messiah).
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.