Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MOVIES

(06-29-2023, 01:23 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Just watched Extraction 1 since Extraction 2 was getting good reviews and wanted to really see that one.

Anyway, i kind of thought the movie was rather monotonous, simply going from 1 action scene to another, without really building up the characters.  About 1 hour into the movie, I was just hoping that they'd all die and the movie would end.

Anyone else watch this movie?  If so, and you liked it, what do you really look for in action movies?  I'm not a pure action movie person so I'm interested to know what I'm missing since this movie had a 80% viewer liking.

We watched them both and they're entertaining for pure action but not much substance. Sometimes I just like turning off my brain and watching something absurd. Usually it's Fargo (the movie) or Con-Air or something like that but sometimes you have to change things up. 

If you didn't like Extraction don't bother with the second one.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-13-2023, 08:47 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I watched "Air" last night.  It's the one about how Nike signs Michael Jordan.  Starring Matt Damon and Ben Affleck.  Directed by Ben Affleck. 

Great acting and directing, but the script is bland as hell.  No tension, no crisis, just a bland retelling of how Nike managed to sign Michael Jordan.  It's entertaining if you're a sports fan.  I think maybe since they were portraying real people, they didn't want to offend anyone.

If you enjoy baseball, try Fastball on Freevee.  It's a story about the evolution of the fastball and comparing historical data to determine who threw the hardest ever.  Lots of interviews with former pitchers and hitters, Ryan, Gossage, Chapman, Verlander, Jeter, Cabrera, Schmidt and Morgan to name a few.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Here is a very underrated movie that is playing for free on Youtube: Margin Call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78eq-EtOuaM

Watched John Wick 4, the ending of it was excellent the way John handled the situation. The only thing that got me about the movie is the series of scenes where everyone is after John in Paris to kill him. The series of scenes was an outright rip off from the movie The Warriors with the Radio DJ giving instructions over the air. The wording was just about the same to.........
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

I watched The Founder with Michael Keaton playing the role of Ray Kroc. A good movie which explains the beginnings of the McDonalds franchise. If the movie is accurate, Kroc immediately saw the potential while the McDonald brothers realized it but didn’t have the vision and the business acumen to see it off.

The wife and I also went to the theater and watched the new Indiana Jones movie. Meh. And sadly, Harrison Ford is officially elderly.

Indiana Jones and The Quest for Medicare
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(07-09-2023, 02:01 PM)The Drifter Wrote: Watched John Wick 4, the ending of it was excellent the way John handled the situation.

Thanks Drifter.  I hate watching movies in which I don't know the ending prior to watching it Smile

Lots of big budget trailers dropping
The PG-13 Barbie movie
The Wonka prequel (based on Gene Wilder version in terms of costumes)
Oppenheimer
Dune part 2

What are you most excited to watch?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(07-01-2023, 10:48 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(06-29-2023, 01:23 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Just watched Extraction 1 since Extraction 2 was getting good reviews and wanted to really see that one.

Anyway, i kind of thought the movie was rather monotonous, simply going from 1 action scene to another, without really building up the characters.  About 1 hour into the movie, I was just hoping that they'd all die and the movie would end.

Anyone else watch this movie?  If so, and you liked it, what do you really look for in action movies?  I'm not a pure action movie person so I'm interested to know what I'm missing since this movie had a 80% viewer liking.

We watched them both and they're entertaining for pure action but not much substance. Sometimes I just like turning off my brain and watching something absurd. Usually it's Fargo (the movie) or Con-Air or something like that but sometimes you have to change things up. 

If you didn't like Extraction don't bother with the second one.

Thanks !!  I'll forego Extraction 2 but totally agree about changing things up from time to time which is what I've been doing.  Got on a dark comedy kick lately...

I watched A Star is Born with Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper. It was a decent movie, but depressing. I watched it because I'd read Cooper wanted to actually sing and play guitar and look like he knew what he was doing so he worked with Lukas Nelson (Willie Nelson's son) and his band, Lukas Nelson and The Promise of Real (who was Cooper's character's band in the movie) for a year to get everything right as far as the look and sound of a rock star. He also worked with a dialect coach for the singing and sang everything live as it was filmed. I wanted to see how it all turned out. I have to say he did really good. Cooper is one of those actors that puts in the work to be as authentic in his characters as he can possibly be (look up what he did to play Chris Kyle if you're interested) and it pays off in spades in his performances.

Also, Lady Gaga has a great voice. I don't care for her genre of music so I've never really listened to her but she can really sing.

The movie was still depressing though.

(07-22-2023, 02:23 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I watched A Star is Born with Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper. It was a decent movie, but depressing. I watched it because I'd read Cooper wanted to actually sing and play guitar and look like he knew what he was doing so he worked with Lukas Nelson (Willie Nelson's son) and his band, Lukas Nelson and The Promise of Real (who was Cooper's character's band in the movie) for a year to get everything right as far as the look and sound of a rock star. He also worked with a dialect coach for the singing and sang everything live as it was filmed. I wanted to see how it all turned out. I have to say he did really good. Cooper is one of those actors that puts in the work to be as authentic in his characters as he can possibly be (look up what he did to play Chris Kyle if you're interested) and it pays off in spades in his performances.

Also, Lady Gaga has a great voice. I don't care for her genre of music so I've never really listened to her but she can really sing.

It’s a decent flick and like you say, the actors are talented and put in the work. As a movie, I prefer the Striesand/Kristopherson version slightly but both are good.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(07-22-2023, 02:52 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(07-22-2023, 02:23 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I watched A Star is Born with Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper. It was a decent movie, but depressing. I watched it because I'd read Cooper wanted to actually sing and play guitar and look like he knew what he was doing so he worked with Lukas Nelson (Willie Nelson's son) and his band, Lukas Nelson and The Promise of Real (who was Cooper's character's band in the movie) for a year to get everything right as far as the look and sound of a rock star. He also worked with a dialect coach for the singing and sang everything live as it was filmed. I wanted to see how it all turned out. I have to say he did really good. Cooper is one of those actors that puts in the work to be as authentic in his characters as he can possibly be (look up what he did to play Chris Kyle if you're interested) and it pays off in spades in his performances.

It’s a decent flick and like you say, the actors are talented and put in the work. As a movie, I prefer the Striesand/Kristopherson version slightly but both are good.

The one thing that threw me off the whole movie was how he sounded like Sam Elliott. There was a storyline reason for it but until that was revealed I was just so distracted by it. Lol. 

I never saw the Kristofferson/Streisand version. I'm not typically into 'musicals' with Grease (the original) being the exception.

Just re-watched a Classic......... Patrick Swayzee, Sam Elliot........ Roadhouse
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

The sounds of the velociraptors in Jurassic Park is actually a recording of two tortoises having sex on a loop......

(08-03-2023, 08:49 PM)The Drifter Wrote: Just re-watched a Classic......... Patrick Swayzee, Sam Elliot........ Roadhouse

That's a good one for sure.

My husband wanted to watch Black Adam Friday night so we did. Oy very. What a crapfest. I love Dwayne Johnson and was excited for him and this movie but it was not good. I guess you have to be a fan of the comics and know everything about it before you watch it because there is no character building, a little bit of backstory and a lot of bad CGI.

Don't bother unless you have absolutely nothing else to do.

The one thing I did like is BA is not a superhero. Quite the opposite.

(12-21-2022, 06:03 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: We watched Bullet Train with Brad Pitt a few nights ago. That was definitely a different movie, especially for my husband to choose. It was violent, stupid, funny, etc. It reminded me a little of a Tarantino movie.

I wouldn't watch it again but it was entertaining. Y'all would probably like it.

I liked this movie because it was out of the norm, and as you mentioned, kind of in the same off nature of a Tarantino movie.  SPEAKING OF WHICH, I just watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and loved it.  Always stayed away from it because it was 2:45 min but in this case, the movie definitely kept my attention.  The only thing I wish they would change is the ending to keep it more in line with the actual events leading to Sharon Tate's death.  Nevertheless, this was definitely a classic in its own sense.

Bird Box -- kind of sucks.

Borrego -- kind of sucks.

Watched one of my favorite oldie but goodie's..

Killer Klowns from Outer Space.. Great movie!!
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

We watched Cocaine Bear. Not good.