Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MOVIES

Well, tonight will commence the Christmas movie watching.  We'll crack open a bottle of wine and watch the old classics first.  White Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street, and It's a Wonderful Life.  We've also decided to resurrect one of my wife's family traditions.  She's going to get out the pasta press and we're going to make a ton of pierogis and raviolis, same process different filling.  Probably have the 'newer' ones on while we're making those.  Although there is a lot of football on tomorrow.   Smile
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2023, 10:34 PM by WingerDinger. Edited 1 time in total.)

Getting ready to watch Holiday Inn with Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire.. One of my absolute Christmas favorites!!
[Image: SiXab.gif]

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

We watched The Equalizer 3 last night..

Denzel da' man!!

Hope they come out with a part 4..

(12-15-2023, 09:18 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Well, tonight will commence the Christmas movie watching.  We'll crack open a bottle of wine and watch the old classics first.  White Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street, and It's a Wonderful Life.  We've also decided to resurrect one of my wife's family traditions.  She's going to get out the pasta press and we're going to make a ton of pierogis and raviolis, same process different filling.  Probably have the 'newer' ones on while we're making those.  Although there is a lot of football on tomorrow.   Smile

Homemade pierogis YUMMY !!!   We were in Krakow Poland last summer and it was good to see that our ancestors, who migrated to a polish town in Pittsburgh, actually made the pierogis and golumpki (aka cabbage rolls), almost identical to those that are currently being made in Poland today.

(01-05-2024, 05:57 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(12-15-2023, 09:18 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Well, tonight will commence the Christmas movie watching.  We'll crack open a bottle of wine and watch the old classics first.  White Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street, and It's a Wonderful Life.  We've also decided to resurrect one of my wife's family traditions.  She's going to get out the pasta press and we're going to make a ton of pierogis and raviolis, same process different filling.  Probably have the 'newer' ones on while we're making those.  Although there is a lot of football on tomorrow.   Smile

Homemade pierogis YUMMY !!!   We were in Krakow Poland last summer and it was good to see that our ancestors, who migrated to a polish town in Pittsburgh, actually made the pierogis and golumpki (aka cabbage rolls), almost identical to those that are currently being made in Poland today.

You don't have to tell me what any of that stuff is, my wife is from the Burgh and I know about all of that Polish/Czech/Russian food.    Wink

We go up a couple of times a year and there's an outside shot that we end up moving there.

(01-05-2024, 08:19 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-05-2024, 05:57 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Homemade pierogis YUMMY !!!   We were in Krakow Poland last summer and it was good to see that our ancestors, who migrated to a polish town in Pittsburgh, actually made the pierogis and golumpki (aka cabbage rolls), almost identical to those that are currently being made in Poland today.

You don't have to tell me what any of that stuff is, my wife is from the Burgh and I know about all of that Polish/Czech/Russian food.    Wink

We go up a couple of times a year and there's an outside shot that we end up moving there.

Not until you guys have fully enjoyed your new kitchen remodel. I guess that's where the outside chance part of that comes in.  Big Grin

The wife and I just finished up Killers of the Flower Moon..

Great movie..

Long movie..

But pretty great!!

(01-13-2024, 12:16 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: The wife and I just finished up Killers of the Flower Moon..

Great movie..

Long movie..

But pretty great!!

I'm sure the movie is more riveting than the book, which is written as a documentary. However, it provides ample amounts of salacious material for Hollywood to sink its teeth into, and also plays into the current social narrative of judging the past by contemporary standards.  

With that said, the cast looks excellent as well as the trailer. I'm looking forward to watching it.

(01-13-2024, 01:01 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-13-2024, 12:16 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: The wife and I just finished up Killers of the Flower Moon..

Great movie..

Long movie..

But pretty great!!

I'm sure the movie is more riveting than the book, which is written as a documentary. However, it provides ample amounts of salacious material for Hollywood to sink its teeth into, and also plays into the current social narrative of judging the past by contemporary standards.  

With that said, the cast looks excellent as well as the trailer. I'm looking forward to watching it.

Those big werdz make my hed hert.

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2024, 03:05 PM by WingerDinger. Edited 1 time in total.)

Anyone else addicted to watching movies and shows with Closed Caption on, so you can listen and read along at the same time?

You pick up on more detail, pronunciations and such..

Pretty cool and you should try it, if you don't do it already.

(01-16-2024, 03:02 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Anyone else addicted to watching movies and shows with Closed Caption on, so you can listen and read along at the same time?

My wife does this.  It's annoying to me though.  I'll turn them on if I can't make out what was said in a particular scene, but it gets turned right back off.  There's only a couple of shows we watch together and I generally drive the remote so I don't have to endure it.  She watches more TV than I do, mostly garbage "housewives" and other relationship driven reality TV drivel which I lovingly harass her about as I'm walking through the living room while it's on.

(01-16-2024, 03:02 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Anyone else addicted to watching movies and shows with Closed Caption on, so you can listen and read along at the same time?

I use it when I'm watching a foreign series or movie that has the choice of CC or dubbed. I hate watching anything dubbed. 

I sometimes use CC when watching a road cycling race. It's hilarious to see how it butchers foreign names said in American, British and Australian accents. An example being Slovenian Tadej Pogacar (pronounced Tahday Pogahcha) ends up being Teddy Pikachu.

I decided to finally watch Kelce on Amazon and I enjoyed it. The brothers both seem to be pretty down to earth dudes with Jason being the older brother and family man. 

You've gotta love it when Jason's telling his young daughter who is picking her nose to go ahead and eat the booger because they boost your immune system. This is back at the hotel after he has just lost the Super Bowl. 

His wife reminds me a lot of myself. She fully loves and supports her husband but she is her own woman and she handles her business whether he's around or not. This is the life of someone whose significant other is gone a lot and I totally relate.

He really did have a hard time deciding whether to retire or play one more season. His fears of not being good at something other than football (even fatherhood), something he's done more than half of his life, are real. What are you if you're not what you've spent all that time being? A good father? A good husband? A good son? 

It's a well done movie. And now we know he retired for real. Give it a watch. It's worth the time.

I have hearing loss so sometimes CC is required, especially with British accents spoken in a low voice. 

I work with a guy who mumbles and speaks quickly. Even face to face with the guy I can only pick up about half of what he's saying. Reading lips doesn't help because he barely opens his mouth. I wish he had a CC setting.

(01-16-2024, 08:40 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

I have hearing loss so sometimes CC is required, especially with British accents spoken in a low voice. 

I work with a guy who mumbles and speaks quickly. Even face to face with the guy I can only pick up about half of what he's saying. Reading lips doesn't help because he barely opens his mouth. I wish he had a CC setting.

Navy?

(01-16-2024, 08:52 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(01-16-2024, 08:40 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I have hearing loss so sometimes CC is required, especially with British accents spoken in a low voice. 

Navy?

Yeah. While doing my separation physical I was told my hearing profile was of someone 30 years older.

(01-16-2024, 09:43 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-16-2024, 08:52 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Navy?

Yeah. While doing my separation physical I was told my hearing profile was of someone 30 years older.

For years, I worked for The Jax VA, and most of my co-workers and patients with either hearing aids or difficulties were all Navy as well. 

The guns got some decibels lol

I do it, mostly because of my wife, whose native language is not English.  But if the captions are auto-generated, there can be some really bad errors.

All the time, and ive been doing it for 20 plus years. Works especially well during loud action movies where the dialog might be tough to make out.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

We started this once we had kids.

When they were awake, random loudness or general hustle and bustle made it easier to keep up with dialog than to depend solely on ears.
When they were asleep, we could lower volume to audible levels but not so loud as to disturb slumber.

They're both older now, but we still swear by captions. I wish sports bars and public places would enable captions if they are going to broadcast screens, especially if they are muting the feed or displaying multiple feeds at once.

And as Marty said, one of my joys in consuming entertainment is laughing at the botched attempts at system-generated captions.