Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MOVIES

(02-26-2024, 10:50 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: The wife and I just watched a movie on Prime called A Million Miles Away.. The true story about that migrant farm worker that became an astronaut.

Great movie!!

Very good movie. I've watched it twice ... I was too drunk the first time. I think?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-30-2024, 06:15 PM)Sammy Wrote:
(02-26-2024, 10:50 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: The wife and I just watched a movie on Prime called A Million Miles Away.. The true story about that migrant farm worker that became an astronaut.

Great movie!!

Very good movie. I've watched it twice ... I was too drunk the first time. I think?

Look what the cat dragged in!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2024, 06:51 PM by Sammy. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-30-2024, 06:25 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(03-30-2024, 06:15 PM)Sammy Wrote: Very good movie. I've watched it twice ... I was too drunk the first time. I think?

Look what the cat dragged in!

Someone should get a new cat.

I think about my friends on this board from time to time. Especially, more recently as I am set to visit Anna Maria island after a ten year hiatus. JagsUtopia,  aka Dakota, or Paul P recommended AM to me around 15 years ago. I would have never found that gem on my own. Posting on this board really pays off now and then. Good times, good friends.

(03-30-2024, 06:35 PM)Sammy Wrote:
(03-30-2024, 06:25 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Look what the cat dragged in!

I think about my friends on this board from time to time. Especially, more recently as I am set to visit Anna Maria island after a ten year hiatus. JagsUtopia,  aka (EDIT. Dakota), or Paul P recommended AM to me around 15 years ago. I would have never found that gem on my own. Posting on this board really pays off now and then. Good times, good friends.

(03-30-2024, 06:35 PM)Sammy Wrote:
(03-30-2024, 06:25 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Look what the cat dragged in!

I think about my friends on this board from time to time. Especially, more recently as I am set to visit Anna Maria island after a ten year hiatus. JagsUtopia,  aka Dakota, or Paul P recommended AM to me around 15 years ago. I would have never found that gem on my own. Posting on this board really pays off now and then. Good times, good friends.

I have very fond memories of that place myself! I haven’t been there in forever either. Why so long between visits for you down there? If I recall, that was a yearly thing for you for a while.

(03-30-2024, 07:03 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(03-30-2024, 06:35 PM)Sammy Wrote: Someone should get a new cat.

I have very fond memories of that place myself! I haven’t been there in forever either. Why so long between visits for you down there? If I recall, that was a yearly thing for you for a while.

It was yearly up to 10 years ago. Just started working through several other vacation places to enjoy instead of limiting them to AM (along with the covid cancel years). This year staying at a property we stayed at 12 years ago, which is by far my most favorite place to have stayed at. Cost has more than doubled from just that long ago. I am so going to enjoy a return to one of the greatest places to unwind, and enjoy the surreal location, as well as past memories of the island.

(03-30-2024, 07:27 PM)Sammy Wrote:
(03-30-2024, 07:03 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: I have very fond memories of that place myself! I haven’t been there in forever either. Why so long between visits for you down there? If I recall, that was a yearly thing for you for a while.

It was yearly up to 10 years ago. Just started working through several other vacation places to enjoy instead of limiting them to AM (along with the covid cancel years). This year staying at a property we stayed at 12 years ago, which is by far my most favorite place to have stayed at. Cost has more than doubled from just that long ago. I am so going to enjoy a return to one of the greatest places to unwind, and enjoy the surreal location, as well as past memories of the island.

Right on Sammy.  Enjoy the place.

Me and the old lady are on an annual bucket list (pretty good movie, to stay on topic) vacation schedule.  Starting in 2020, we've done Negril, Costa Rica, Barbados, and this year is Bora Bora.  Maybe we'll see you there?

(03-30-2024, 07:27 PM)Sammy Wrote:
(03-30-2024, 07:03 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: I have very fond memories of that place myself! I haven’t been there in forever either. Why so long between visits for you down there? If I recall, that was a yearly thing for you for a while.

Just watch out for those Canadians! Wink

(03-30-2024, 07:59 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote:
(03-30-2024, 07:27 PM)Sammy Wrote: It was yearly up to 10 years ago. Just started working through several other vacation places to enjoy instead of limiting them to AM (along with the covid cancel years). This year staying at a property we stayed at 12 years ago, which is by far my most favorite place to have stayed at. Cost has more than doubled from just that long ago. I am so going to enjoy a return to one of the greatest places to unwind, and enjoy the surreal location, as well as past memories of the island.

Right on Sammy.  Enjoy the place.

Me and the old lady are on an annual bucket list (pretty good movie, to stay on topic) vacation schedule.  Starting in 2020, we've done Negril, Costa Rica, Barbados, and this year is Bora Bora.  Maybe we'll see you there?

I am a bit immobile at the time for a few more weeks, so any movie advice is greatly appreciated. Earlier I seen Oppenheimer mentioned, which was a huge let down, Was a bit more of a documentary with better cameras is how it came off to me.

(03-30-2024, 09:24 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(03-30-2024, 07:27 PM)Sammy Wrote: It was yearly up to 10 years ago. Just started working through several other vacation places to enjoy instead of limiting them to AM (along with the covid cancel years). This year staying at a property we stayed at 12 years ago, which is by far my most favorite place to have stayed at. Cost has more than doubled from just that long ago. I am so going to enjoy a return to one of the greatest places to unwind, and enjoy the surreal location, as well as past memories of the island.

Just watch out for those Canadians! Wink

Kick them out of their tent is what I say.

[Image: SV8Hv.jpg]
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(03-25-2024, 12:23 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: If you haven't seen it, I recommend Project Iceman. It's a documentary about a Danish man in his early 20s who decides to do the impossible: complete an Ironman triathlon in Antarctica. Something no one has done or even really attempted to do. 

I don't know what drives people like this but I wasn't born with that particular kind of.....crazy. That's the only word I can think of after watching what this guy went through to make this happen. And he prefers to do hard things, like the more uncomfortable it is the more he's drawn to doing it. I know there are people like is but to see what he was willing to put himself (and his team) through in order to accomplish this is a POV we don't usually get to see but we do here.

Anyway, you can watch it on Apple TV or YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ROQNfVc4BY...Y2VtYW4%3D

Great watch. Thanks for this recommendation. One hell of a journey.

(03-31-2024, 02:47 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-25-2024, 12:23 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: If you haven't seen it, I recommend Project Iceman. It's a documentary about a Danish man in his early 20s who decides to do the impossible: complete an Ironman triathlon in Antarctica. Something no one has done or even really attempted to do. 

I don't know what drives people like this but I wasn't born with that particular kind of.....crazy. That's the only word I can think of after watching what this guy went through to make this happen. And he prefers to do hard things, like the more uncomfortable it is the more he's drawn to doing it. I know there are people like is but to see what he was willing to put himself (and his team) through in order to accomplish this is a POV we don't usually get to see but we do here.

Anyway, you can watch it on Apple TV or YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ROQNfVc4BY...Y2VtYW4%3D

Great watch. Thanks for this recommendation. One hell of a journey.

Wasn't it though? That dude is either crazy as a loon or tough as nails. Perhaps a bit of both. His sheer determination to finish what he started is amazing.

(03-27-2024, 03:39 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 03:04 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Part of it is they employ personal force fields that block projectiles, but blades can get through.  Did you not catch the version they did in the 80's with Kyle MacLachlan?

I don't want to ruin anyone's enjoyment of the movie, but that's kind of ridiculous.

Yeah it's all in the book.  They explained most of it in the first movie.

The guy wanted to write ancient battle scenes and made up the changes to technology that would make that happen.  The shields make wrestling dagger fights the only workable form of combat in most situations, except the open sand where shields attract worms.  

The other big thing is there are no computers on most planets, because most people don't trust AI.  There's a vague reference to a series of wars against AI. So instead of a computer, especially trained people called mentats do the computation.  That part was in the first movie but not the second.  The book really plays out with the theme of, if all the things a computer does for you today were instead done by a person who may or may not be loyal, how would that change your behavior? 

Anyhow the war against AI had a religious undertone, and the planets that don't use computers are in the end controlled by feudal style leaders, who make a big show of using mentats instead of computers, but in reality are secretly buying some computers from the planets that still have them.

So it's a lot more about understanding Asia minor in the 1400s than it is about understanding space or the future.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Just watched End of Watch with Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Peña..

First time I've seen it.. Amazing movie!!

I’ve had this urge lately to watch Johnny Dangerously. It’s been many, many moons since I’ve seen it last. I’m curious as to how I would regard it in this stage of my life.

(04-04-2024, 11:13 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I’ve had this urge lately to watch Johnny Dangerously. It’s been many, many moons since I’ve seen it last. I’m curious as to how I would regard it in this stage of my life.

You shouldn't shoot me, Johnny.. 

My mother shot me once..

Once..

Finally took the time to watch Hunger Games Songbirds and Snakes. Wow is Rachel Zegler not only a beautiful young lady but her voice is amazing. The tie-ins to the original series were a little much IMO but the storyline really shows what a horrible human being Corilineus Snow is as heart.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(03-27-2024, 03:39 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 03:04 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Part of it is they employ personal force fields that block projectiles, but blades can get through.  Did you not catch the version they did in the 80's with Kyle MacLachlan?

I don't want to ruin anyone's enjoyment of the movie, but that's kind of ridiculous.

It has to do with the nature of the Holtzman effect which is part of the fictional universe of Dune. The principle is also behind the suspensor and FTL technology. It’s discussed in the books a bit but using energy weapons against a shield can cause an energy release similar to a nuclear bomb.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Just watched a really good movie on Netflix called Hillbilly Elegy..

True story!!