Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MOVIES

Quote:I'd put it something like this:

1. Ran

2. Hidden Fortress

3. Seven Samurai

4. Dreams

5. Ikiru 

Seven Samurai is one of my all time favorites.  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Seven Samurai is my current favorite Kurosawa films. I haven't seen Dreams yet, waiting for an eventual Criterion bluray release. I own Ikiru, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I need to give Ran a rewatch, its been a few years since I last watched it. 

I need to watch Yojimbo.   Kurosawa sued Sergio Leone when Leone stole the plot of Yojimbo and made it into Fistful of Dollars.   They settled out of court. 

Here's a great clip I found on youtube about how Kurosawa composed his shots. 

Kurosawa was a great artist. 

Quote:Seven Samurai is one of my all time favorites.  

Same for me with Ran.  If I'm not mistaking, I think Kurosawa once said that Seven Samurai was his best movie until he made Ran.

Quote:The movie industry is absolute garbage right now.

Although to be fair, they've been saying this since the 1930s.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I think there are a few movies coming out each year that rank from good to great, but there is a lot of garbage, too.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:Although to be fair, they've been saying this since the 1930s.

The number of recycles/remakes, and the awful box office numbers overall seem to back it up today.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

The old Hollywood studio system, with stars under exclusive contracts to grind out product, produced a lot of bad movies at a very high rate.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2016, 01:34 PM by pirkster.)

Difference being today, budgets have ballooned - giving us bad movies at a slower rate that carry extremely high losses.

IIRC, the studios made a decent profit on those bad assembly line movies.  Fast nickels instead of slow dimes.

Problem with today, the studios bank on one or two blockbusters to cover the rest of the year's failures/losses.  Which, explains the steer towards built-in, expected audiences with sequels and remakes/reboots.

Quote:The number of recycles/remakes, and the awful box office numbers overall seem to back it up today.

Remakes actually aren't new either although in terms of sheer numbers you're probably right.  The box office numbers are relative.  There are a lot of different channels to watch movies today that didn't exist a few years ago and going back to sheer numbers, the sheer revenue flims make today is considerably higher than they once were.  

Bad movies existed in years past I can tell you.  In the 70s we had bad Bruce Lee kung fu copycat movies, blaxploitation, Roger Corman, and hippie hitchhiker horror flicks.  Not to mention cinema verite.  Yuck.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Movies cost quite a bit more due to the increased cost in production and distribution as well.

I agree there have always been bad movies.

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2016, 03:18 PM by Kotite.)

Night of the Living Dead and Clerks are examples of rare outliers which had almost no budget and raked in millions.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Suicide Squad wasn't that impressive...

Don't Breathe was ok. I was kind of disappointed in the ending, but whatever. I enjoy home invasion movies for the most part.

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2016, 05:11 PM by The Real Marty.)

Quote:The number of recycles/remakes, and the awful box office numbers overall seem to back it up today.

I can't believe someone thought it was a good idea to remake Ben Hur.  

Yes, I know the Charlton Heston version is itself a remake, but that version won 12 Academy Awards.   There's no way anyone could improve on it.  

Quote:I can't believe someone thought it was a good idea to remake Ben Hur.

Yes, I know the Charlton Heston version is itself a remake, but that version won 12 Academy Awards. There's no way anyone could improve on it.

Of all movies you'd think Ben Hur would be in the "untouchable" zone.

I watched Undefeated tonight. Good documentary film about a Mississippi high school whose football team is a hot mess financially (their coaches are all volunteers), the players are mostly undisciplined and unmotivated because the school has never won a season. Like- ever.

It was filmed the same way as Last Chance U and All Or Nothing and is a really good movie. That head coach man.... mad respect for a man who puts up with what he does for free. You know he does it because he loves it.

Also, Miracles From Heaven. You don't have to be religious to appreciate the movie that was based on true events. I almost didn't watch it because I have certain opinions on all of these "I went to heaven" movies but that's not really what happened. It was an emotional movie for sure.

Quote:Of all movies you'd think Ben Hur would be in the "untouchable" zone.

They are casting for a Gone with the Wind remake right now, that should be on an "untouchable" list too!!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

An interesting perspective on what truly is a bad year for movies, and suggestions on what may remedy it moving forward.

http://nypost.com/2016/09/02/heres-how-h...le-movies/

Quote:I need to watch Yojimbo.   Kurosawa sued Sergio Leone when Leone stole the plot of Yojimbo and made it into Fistful of Dollars.   They settled out of court. 

Here's a great clip I found on youtube about how Kurosawa composed his shots. 

Kurosawa was a great artist. 
Yeah, Yojimbo is one of my favorites. I really loved Fistful of Dollars as well, but there is definitely no denying that Leone stole the plot. I've watched that video about Kurosawa many times before, assumed it was Every Frame a Painting before clicking. I love his video analysis on various film subjects.

I watched the movie Spotlight recently and enjoyed it. Some phenomenal acting from Ruffalo and Keaton. 

Quote:Night of the Living Dead and Clerks are examples of rare outliers which had almost no budget and raked in millions.

Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity too

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus