Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
WR Lee sits out due to hammy

Quote:Wide Receiver?

I really want to get nuanced here about the difference in slot receivers and split ends and flankers. I also want to bring up Caldwell's comments on Lee being an outside receiver and hurns sliding inside when Lee comes in the game. However, what's the point? There are other posts in this thread pointing out those two are not competing for the same position. Also, I respect your right to have an opinion.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The guy who hasn't topped 28 yards in a single game is "considerably better" than the guy that has topped that on 5 individual catches?  I like Greene, he's got talent and potential, but he hasn't done anything in regular season games to warrant being propped up as more talented than Lee.
Lol yea I dont get these people that love Greene so much more then Lee, when Greene hasnt done anything as a WR yet, Greene avg under 5 ypc lol, Lee is a much better WR.

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote:We were talking about real games...not preseason games. I hadn't recalled the Giants TD from his rookie season.

That said, what was so impressive about any of his catches this past Thursday? By impressive, I mean something more than your run-of-the-mill, dime-a-dozen catches that WRs are expected to make. Something, for instance, like Tony Washington's big catch and run.

Maybe I overlooked it, so describe for me in vivid detail how impressive the catch was you're talking about.

Considering wr play we had to deal with only a short, few years ago, how could you trivialize that back shoulder catch??? Let's be serious, ok?

It comes down to flashes. Really, that's all either Greene or Lee have done so far, and both have had some impressive flashes. Greene excites me because of what he can do with the ball in his hands, and I just feel like he'll be the ultimate slot WR. I know the proof isn't their yet, but it's my gut feeling. But admittedly, just like with Marqise, he's only flashed. Neither player has been consistently productive as of yet. Maybe instead of labeling them #3 and #4 we can label them #3a and #3b.

That said, I enjoyed the quip on jaguars.com about them being excited to have ARob at split-end, Marqise at Flanker and Hurns in the slot. They feel this line-up has potential, although how much have we really seen on Hurns in the slot.

'02

Quote:It comes down to flashes. Really, that's all either Greene or Lee have done so far, and both have had some impressive flashes. Greene excites me because of what he can do with the ball in his hands, and I just feel like he'll be the ultimate slot WR. I know the proof isn't their yet, but it's my gut feeling. But admittedly, just like with Marqise, he's only flashed. Neither player has been consistently productive as of yet. Maybe instead of labeling them #3 and #4 we can label them #3a and #3b.

That said, I enjoyed the quip on jaguars.com about them being excited to have ARob at split-end, Marqise at Flanker and Hurns in the slot. They feel this line-up has potential, although how much have we really seen on Hurns in the slot.

I think he's spent time there when we were in the red zone.

Quote:We were talking about real games...not preseason games. I hadn't recalled the Giants TD from his rookie season.

That said, what was so impressive about any of his catches this past Thursday? By impressive, I mean something more than your run-of-the-mill, dime-a-dozen catches that WRs are expected to make. Something, for instance, like Tony Washington's big catch and run.

Maybe I overlooked it, so describe for me in vivid detail how impressive the catch was you're talking about.
Seriously?

This is exactly what I mean. The play where Lee jumped over the guy for the grab was anything but run-of-the-mill, dime-a-dozen. You didn't notice the catch because it doesn't fit what you want to believe. That's why your player evaluations are so silly.

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2016, 04:37 PM by rufftime.)

Some Lee highlights

Talk about run after the catch...
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000432835/Bortles-slings-37-yard-pass-to-Marqise-Lee'>http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000432835/Bortles-slings-37-yard-pass-to-Marqise-Lee</a>

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ4M3MmdF2o'>https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ4M3MmdF2o</a>

Sexton piece on Lee at the beginning of the year provides a good summary
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.jaguars.com/media-gallery/videos/Sexton-Spotlight-Marqise-Lee/57d35ec0-43f2-46ae-8967-adcb823038a8'>http://m.jaguars.com/media-gallery/videos/Sexton-Spotlight-Marqise-Lee/57d35ec0-43f2-46ae-8967-adcb823038a8</a>

Edit: who cares though as long as this guy is on the field
<a class="bbc_url" href='https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=djAh5GPBj4M'>https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=djAh5GPBj4M</a>

Lee has elite level ability. You can't compare him and Greene. They are two entirely different players and do different things for this team. Both are valuable to the team.

I don't get these people trying to pigeon hole any receiver to any one spot. Lee outside? Sure. Could he line up in the slot? Yes.

Also... the main point I'm trying to make is, Lee has all the potential and ability in the world. But if he's hurt all the time, THAT is what really doesn't matter.

At this point, if someone wanted to give us a 2nd or 3rd for Lee... I'd take it and move along with the guys we have.

Am I saying Greene>Lee? No.

Am I saying Lee hasn't done jack diddly for us any more than Greene has? Yeah, that's where I'm at. Hurns and Arob on the outside with Greene in the slot sounds pretty darned good.

Lee on the sidelines helps no one.

Aside from maybe one poster on here, I don't see anyone saying Greene is better. Just that he's been more available and shown promise, instead of just getting our hopes up each offseason.

Quote: 

You have a lot of strong opinions about this for someone so ill-informed on the matter. 

Hurns had 29 catches for 511 yards and 7 touchdowns last year FROM THE SLOT.  That's how much we have seen from him in the slot. A lot. 

That line-up doesn't just have potential. It's deadly.  

Like I've been saying for months on end:  When Lee comes onto the field , Hurns will move inside. When Lee is not on the field, Greene will be in the slot. 

It's largely Hurns' flexibility that makes this possible and easy for them to do.  Sullivan is big on guys moving around anyway, so there will obviously be other combinations, but this system seems really obvious to me once you understand how effective Hurns is from the slot and recognize that Lee is at his most useful outside.

You can call Greene #3 and Lee #9,000.  It doesn't matter.  Lee will get work outside, and moving Hurns in those moments is a good thing. Not a bad thing, and not an unknown either. 

Quote:...Hurns had 29 catches for 511 yards and 7 touchdowns last year FROM THE SLOT.  That's how much we have seen from him in the slot. A lot. 

That line-up doesn't just have potential. It's deadly...

Ok then... I hadn't realized he played that much in the slot.

That said, I'm curious where you dug up these stats.

'02

Quote:Ok then... I hadn't realized he played that much in the slot.

Www.google.com

Quote:You have a lot of strong opinions about this for someone so ill-informed on the matter.

Hurns had 29 catches for 511 yards and 7 touchdowns last year FROM THE SLOT. That's how much we have seen from him in the slot. A lot.

That line-up doesn't just have potential. It's deadly.

Like I've been saying for months on end: When Lee comes onto the field , Hurns will move inside. When Lee is not on the field, Greene will be in the slot.

It's largely Hurns' flexibility that makes this possible and easy for them to do. Sullivan is big on guys moving around anyway, so there will obviously be other combinations, but this system seems really obvious to me once you understand how effective Hurns is from the slot and recognize that Lee is at his most useful outside.

You can call Greene #3 and Lee #9,000. It doesn't matter. Lee will get work outside, and moving Hurns in those moments is a good thing. Not a bad thing, and not an unknown either.

Didn't realize Hurns' productivity out of the slot, but it makes sense. It truly is deadly, whether it is Greene or Hurns I the slot, or Hurns and Lee on the outside with A-Rob. And then you throw in Thomas and Lewis over the middle/in the seams.
No commercial messages in sigs

I freak out a little bit everytime I see this thread being bumped, thinking Lee has another hamstring injury...

Quote:Ok then... I hadn't realized he played that much in the slot.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/07/18/nfl-pla...-receivers

Need flash guys... They are both on the team. Who cares who is better? Their skill sets are different and valuable to the team.
You either die as a good poster, or live long enough to become the troll.

Quote:Need flash guys... They are both on the team. Who cares who is better? Their skill sets are different and valuable to the team.
Not news to me, but apparently some are bent on needlessly choosing between the two.

I never got the "who cares, they're on the same team" people.

Would you rather this message board have 0 discussion?

Quote:I never got the "who cares, they're on the same team" people.

No, but I would rather the Board have enlightened, intelligent discussion.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:I never got the "who cares, they're on the same team" people.

lol you're exactly right.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>